Purchasing Spikes 10.5" upper (Form 4 question) - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 12:40 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Purchasing Spikes 10.5" upper (Form 4 question)

I got my trust formed and a dedicated checking account. I know I need to fill out the Form 4 before the purchase, but I am a little confused. With a silencer you ship the item to an FFL where it sits until your Form 4 is approved right? Do I purchase the Spikes Tactical 10.5" upper the same way? It is an upper, so it technically can be shipped right to my house without going through an FFL.

Just trying to do this the legal way. This will be the first time filling out the Form 4 and going through the process. Thanks for any help.

-Mike

.مايك كيرشنر ، المسافر من العالم

08 Ford F250 FX4
07 Yamaha 700R

07 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
08 Harley Night Rod Special
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 02:46 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike K25 View Post
I got my trust formed and a dedicated checking account. I know I need to fill out the Form 4 before the purchase, but I am a little confused. With a silencer you ship the item to an FFL where it sits until your Form 4 is approved right? Do I purchase the Spikes Tactical 10.5" upper the same way? It is an upper, so it technically can be shipped right to my house without going through an FFL.

Just trying to do this the legal way. This will be the first time filling out the Form 4 and going through the process. Thanks for any help.

-Mike
Uppers can go straight to your house. But if you have an lower and an sbr upper an no paperwork you could get in trouble.

SBRs are also made on a form 1, they're only on form 4s if they're already manufactured and registered.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Thanks for clarifying that! I'll just keep in my safe until I get the paperwork back.

.مايك كيرشنر ، المسافر من العالم

08 Ford F250 FX4
07 Yamaha 700R

07 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
08 Harley Night Rod Special

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 08:35 AM
Fabrique National Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike K25 View Post
Thanks for clarifying that! I'll just keep in my safe until I get the paperwork back.
Personally, I'd separate them location wise. Take the lower to a friends or relatives house until you get your paperwork. I might be wrong...but I thought SBR uppers were considered NFA items and would need to be transferred from an FFL.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 12:09 PM
Lifer

Uppers aren't regulated because they're not firearms.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-25-2010, 12:01 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Uppers aren't regulated because they're not firearms.
^^^ this

to OP
if you buy upper, leave upper at family or good friends house. or just wait until you have your stamp & lower engraved. uppers pop up all the time for good deals. its constructive intent, if at your house w/ a nonregistered lower. unless you have a lower that is registered pistol. besides the lower is registered to you, why leave it at someone else's place?

realistically its not likely you will get a visit, except for the fact that you are posting this question, versus searching & reading posts from sites w/ all this info. why risk it?

also as David said... for clarification - are you buying an already registered SBR? if not you need to do a Form1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement