Recommended AK 74 optic mounts. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 01:10 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Recommended AK 74 optic mounts.

Hey guys I was wanting to put optics on my Polish Tantal and wanted to see if anyone could recommend a good optics mount that y'all have had experience with.

Thnx in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 09:28 AM
Banned

I have an Aimpoint ML2 red dot on my AR, many times I wish it had a scope. At the range, with 50 yards the dot is the size of basically 2-3 inches of target diameter.

If your doing 50 yards and less, go with a red dot. Buy what your budget allows.

If your doing 50 plus yards, I would go with a scope and maybe pair with a laser for <50 yards.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 09:49 AM
In the field

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_revival View Post
I have an Aimpoint ML2 red dot on my AR, many times I wish it had a scope. At the range, with 50 yards the dot is the size of basically 2-3 inches of target diameter.

If your doing 50 yards and less, go with a red dot. Buy what your budget allows.

If your doing 50 plus yards, I would go with a scope and maybe pair with a laser for <50 yards.
He is asking about the actual mount, interested as well, i'm looking for my AK as well.

Black on Black 02' Z28
Lowered on Black Z06 wheels

"A bad day hunting beats a good day at work"

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_revival View Post

Yeah I am more interested on the mount first before the actual optics. Isnt the ML2 good for at least 100 yards?

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 12:29 AM
Time Served

most rock solid mount I have seen so far is the ultimak Buddy has one on his 74 and it's nice. You would have to modify one ofr the Tantal due to the gas tube on the tantal but it could be done.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog896 View Post
most rock solid mount I have seen so far is the ultimak Buddy has one on his 74 and it's nice. You would have to modify one ofr the Tantal due to the gas tube on the tantal but it could be done.
That just looks dumb straight up. It has to be on the Dust cover.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 08:46 AM
Lifer

I like the side mounts.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Saiga-AK-Bel...efaultDomain_0

All men should know Honor first, above all else!

Honor is not holding your hand out for something you did not earn.
Honor is not forcing your ideas, or belief on others.
Honor is not something given to you by way of job, or title.

Honor is learned, earned, practiced and respected by all decent men and women.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 12:05 PM
Banned

Oh sorry I misread at first.

The removal mount linked above looks pretty good, detachable is nice to have.

Few options
http://www.madriverknife.com/proddet...od=M2B&cat=116 X2 on above suggestion
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/AKS520-6.html
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/55821-6.html
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 02:35 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_fiux View Post
You cant mount optics to the dust shield, it's loose and moves all over. The only way to properly mount optics is a side mount. You will need to drill and tap your receiver.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
You cant mount optics to the dust shield, it's loose and moves all over. The only way to properly mount optics is a side mount. You will need to drill and tap your receiver.
Come on CJ you have already schooled me on that... I meant a side mount that would be on top of the dust cover where I would generally like the optics to be at... Not literally on the dust cover.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 05:09 PM
CJ

Quote:
Come on CJ you have already schooled me on that... I meant a side mount that would be on top of the dust cover where I would generally like the optics to be at... Not literally on the dust cover.
http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Saiga-AK-Bel...efaultDomain_0

This looks like what you were wanting like tazz suggested.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 05:41 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Side mount is the way to go for sure...although plenty of gun shops/gun show booths sell those UTG dust cover rails I like the bolt on rail mount as opposed to the quick release version. All mounted up my 47 was easy to group 1-1.5" at 50 yards with a cheap red dot. The 74, unless you have one of the tumbling tantals, should be even more accurate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ak47-11.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	78.7 KB
ID:	100303   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ak47-12.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	100304  

'93 Hatch

www.billet-works.com
Innovating CNC Machined Products
www.billetworkstactical.com
Developing AR Parts and Hookin Up Friends with Guns and Accessories
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 09:24 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Your right I know nothing about the tactical rifle

What do you wish your tantal to do. Long range, QCB, pig hunt You want magnified optics or run a red dot

When I think AK I think short range quick shot 50yrd and under is red dot type optics. Forward mount a red dot on your gas tube (think burris fast fire or doc optic not eotech) and you get quick action and followup plus a rock solid mount Vs the off the side mount with a crane over the top. Hard to find a mount to centers the optic over the cover plus no mount is a true return to zero and you need to take the mount/optic off to clean the weapon especially if you fire corrosive ammo.

Now then If you want a over the cover mount anyhow most all are built the same I have mounted the UTG, Armory USA, Bellarus, and a few others. Best option is the scope mount combo in a fixed or variable PSO or PSOP scope IMO Otherwise the bellarus mount seemed the best finish and tightest clamping out of the package. The pic rail was cut nice and a warne ring fit nicely.

downside with side mounts
A) fair amount of weight resting angularly on a piece of sheet metal the mounts shift with a little pressure and move around
B) must remove to clean and maintain weapon

That being said I drilled and riveted a side mount to a guys rifle today easy operation and it worked nicely. If you need a mount tantals page this guy makes the most accurate mount to put on the rifle in tearms of original look and fit. I would recomend side rail MPK2 as it is the easiest to mount If you want to rivet the mount go with the 74 M-P would be a good look for the tantal lines

I hope this helps
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 09:58 PM
CJ

Quote:
That being said I drilled and riveted a side mount to a guys rifle today easy operation and it worked nicely. If you need a mount tantals page this guy makes the most accurate mount to put on the rifle in tearms of original look and fit. I would recomend side rail MPK2 as it is the easiest to mount If you want to rivet the mount go with the 74 M-P would be a good look for the tantal lines
Ah yes, THAT's the page I was looking for to show him. Those are the side mounts I think are the best hands down.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:

I hope this helps
It helps very much thanks dawg. That was basically what I was looking for.

post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 10-23-2010, 06:33 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billet Works View Post
Side mount is the way to go for sure...although plenty of gun shops/gun show booths sell those UTG dust cover rails I like the bolt on rail mount as opposed to the quick release version. All mounted up my 47 was easy to group 1-1.5" at 50 yards with a cheap red dot. The 74, unless you have one of the tumbling tantals, should be even more accurate.
Nice rifle!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement