.308 reloads - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 07:22 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

.308 reloads

Im in need of some reloads! Any one on here reload....and wouldn't mind some extra cash?

<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/DALLAS42069.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">Put your gamertag here too.</iframe>

96GT KYB shocks and struts, Steeda C&C plates, Eibach Prokit, full exhaust!

Mods in the works!
Bullitt intake...PI swap...build up tha tranny!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 09:48 PM
Time Served

I reload but to me it is nearly an art form and is by no means a way to save money.

What kind of rifle do you have, what are your shooting goals, what do you need the load to do and how many rounds do you need?

Rule#2 Double Tap
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

I shoot a savage. Model 10. Looking for a 168. Gr balistic tip bullet. 800-1000 yrd performance. 150 rds. I want a good hunting / long distance round.

<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/DALLAS42069.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">Put your gamertag here too.</iframe>

Mods in the works!

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-18-2010, 10:40 PM
Factory Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas_5.0 View Post
I shoot a savage. Model 10. Looking for a 168. Gr balistic tip bullet. 800-1000 yrd performance. 150 rds. I want a good hunting / long distance round.
Those are two different loads. You should be able to shoot cheap-o off the shelf soft points for <200yds, whereas an 800-1000yd buildup will take time, experimentation, and finesse. Which model 10 do you have? That will have to be taken into consideration.

Give me a dollar.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 04:56 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

Quote:
Im in need of some reloads! Any one on here reload....and wouldn't mind some extra cash?
I reload .308, what's your question?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 06:48 PM
Psycho Pilot Racing

I would have to agree. I reload...but it is more so to load ammo that my rifles like shooting. That might sound funny but after you shoot hand loads,manufactured ammo just wont do for precise shooting. Now if you just want to go out and knock some holes in some things....sure

**Disclaimer: Opinions cited by me are not necessarily my opinions.
Facts cited by me are not necessarily facts.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

The model 10 I shoot is pre accutrigger. The whole reason I want reloads is because like cobra93 said. I had a guy make some 150gr nosler ballistic tips for me and my gun loved them...best grouping I have to date.

How about for starters a good round to 600yrds. I have a chance this weekend to shoot some distnace so I was hoping to have some rounds to test out.

Mods in the works!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2010, 10:40 PM
CJ

Quote:
The model 10 I shoot is pre accutrigger. The whole reason I want reloads is because like cobra93 said. I had a guy make some 150gr nosler ballistic tips for me and my gun loved them...best grouping I have to date.

How about for starters a good round to 600yrds. I have a chance this weekend to shoot some distnace so I was hoping to have some rounds to test out.
It's difficult to dial in a good load without having the rifle in hand. It takes weeks to get a good combination on powder, weight, brass trimming, etc. A round that shoots like a dream in my 700 may not do well at all in your Savage. If you supplied the bullet and powder I wouldn't mind loading them for you.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 08:34 AM
Psycho Pilot Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
It's difficult to dial in a good load without having the rifle in hand. It takes weeks to get a good combination on powder, weight, brass trimming, etc. A round that shoots like a dream in my 700 may not do well at all in your Savage. If you supplied the bullet and powder I wouldn't mind loading them for you.
You might want to ad PRIMER and BRASS? Unless you have a bunch of brass laying around CJ

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 09:26 AM
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra93teal View Post
You might want to ad PRIMER and BRASS? Unless you have a bunch of brass laying around CJ
I dont even consider them I have such a stockpile.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2010, 09:30 AM
Psycho Pilot Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
I dont even consider them I have such a stockpile.
Ha! Me 2 but I like to hoard it

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-21-2010, 11:25 AM
Old Timer

I reload .308, but like others said.

What shoots good in my Remington 700 might shoot like crap in your rifle.

Each rifle likes different brass (Yes brass makes a difference, my rifle likes Horandy & Winchester Brass and HATES Federal), Bullet, Bullet depth, AND powder. I really haven't seen a difference when it comes to primers.

(Example, weighing the brass to make sure they are all the same, measuring the volume of each brass to make sure they are the same, weighing all the bullets, weighing each individual powder charge, setting the depth of the bullet to your rifle is critical for the best accuracy, etc....)

To make a round for your rifle, a reloader would need your gun for a minimum of 2-3 range trips with it. Assuming the reloader loads up like 50 rounds of ammo for the gun, with 10 different loads (5 rounds each are the same).

For 800-1000 yard performance, YOU SHOULD have a heavier bullet than a 168 grain. 180's would probably be the better choice.

Now for hunting and target practice thats REASONABLE, a 168 Grain bullet is good.

2006 Mustang GT
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 08:55 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotua View Post
I reload .308, but like others said.

What shoots good in my Remington 700 might shoot like crap in your rifle.

Each rifle likes different brass (Yes brass makes a difference, my rifle likes Horandy & Winchester Brass and HATES Federal), Bullet, Bullet depth, AND powder. I really haven't seen a difference when it comes to primers.

(Example, weighing the brass to make sure they are all the same, measuring the volume of each brass to make sure they are the same, weighing all the bullets, weighing each individual powder charge, setting the depth of the bullet to your rifle is critical for the best accuracy, etc....)

To make a round for your rifle, a reloader would need your gun for a minimum of 2-3 range trips with it. Assuming the reloader loads up like 50 rounds of ammo for the gun, with 10 different loads (5 rounds each are the same).

For 800-1000 yard performance, YOU SHOULD have a heavier bullet than a 168 grain. 180's would probably be the better choice.

Now for hunting and target practice thats REASONABLE, a 168 Grain bullet is good.
This....Exactly.

It will not be an over night process. Once you get it dialed in, there should be no problem with some one reloading.

I would how ever recommend that you get your own re-loading stuff, and dial it in your self. I'm sure a lot of people here would not mind helping you get started.

It took me a month to go from 2.78" MOA @ 100 yards with Horandy match king in a AR 10 16in barrel to .68" MOA with my reloads.

All men should know Honor first, above all else!

Honor is not holding your hand out for something you did not earn.
Honor is not forcing your ideas, or belief on others.
Honor is not something given to you by way of job, or title.

Honor is learned, earned, practiced and respected by all decent men and women.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-22-2010, 04:52 PM
Old Fart

I reload 150gr Nosler BT's with Varget or IMR 4064. About 2850-2900fps.

CCI primer and win/rem brass.

"Don't taze me, bro."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement