Bought a S&W 38 special today..... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Bought a S&W 38 special today.....

And I can't hit the broad side of a barn with it..... I know its not really a long distance shooter since its like a 1 1/4 inch barrel but man. Little upset. Thought it would be better then this. Maybe its me, any tips guys? I am pulling the trigger all the way back, to the point when the cylinder is no longer rotating. Then getting good aim and pulling the trigger the rest of the way. Btw this is the "bodyguard" version.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 10:14 PM
Banned

You got the BG38? I had been looking at those and was interested. I handled one at the show on Saturday and didn't like the way it felt, plus the laser switch ergonomics didn't seem right.
Anyway, what bullet weight are you using? Most short barrels prefer light bullet weights at distances beyond 10 yards.
Try some various 110 grain rounds.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Yea, i like the way it feels, but I agree on the laser thing. Its a nice little gun. I was using cheap 158gr monarch which wasn't accurate at all at 10 yards. I also shot 5 rounds of 110gr hornady critical defense ammo And it seemed to do alot better with it. It may be user error and take some getting used to.

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 11:03 PM
Time Served

The shorter barrel guns can be accurate. I have the Ruger LCP in .380 and it shoots very accurate even from longer distances.

Where are the shots missing.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 11:16 PM
Lifer

Are you anticipating recoil? I always shoot D/A guns with a long even trigger pull. I've heard it likened to trying to pull a rail car (front sight) through a tunnel. Think of it like that, and go do some dry fire practice.

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Not really anticipating recoil at least that I know of. I have shot alot but not too much double actions. I may be raising the gun up a little due to the long d/a trigger.

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-10-2010, 11:42 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachX2 View Post
Not really anticipating recoil at least that I know of. I have shot alot but not too much double actions. I may be raising the gun up a little due to the long d/a trigger.
They definitely take some time to get comfortable with.

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 01:07 AM
I miss Colorado

Quote:
A great way to test this. Have a friend load up the cylinder for you with some spent shells, and some live rounds, in random order. When you pull the trigger, you wont know if the gun will go off or not. It will be a surprise ever single time. This will show you if you have a flinch or not.

Better yet, load it up yourself, spin the cylinder, and dont look at it before you close it.

4 boxes later, and my girls still flinches with her .38 special.

BTW, fst86gt claims his 380 is "accurate" and uses the word "long distance". Its all relative. Maybe 20 feet is long to him with a 2 inch barrel?

I wouldn't take the targets out passed 10 yards. Most self defense scenarios take place under 10 yards. A snub nose 38 is more of a "stick it in the ribs" gun.

'79 malibu 4speed.
'74 Datsun 260Z 302chevy/TKO500 swap in progress

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 07:48 AM
Lifer

Are you shooting with your eyes closed?

Are you shooting one handed while laying on the couch?

A .38 is no less accurate than any other gun at shorter distances. I'll guarantee that it's your handling of the gun that is the problem. How are you holding it?

A good two handed grip works fine for the little guns.

We have to shoot our backup guns on the same qualification course as the primary duty weapons.

That means the last relay is at 75 feet (25 yards). I've never had problems hitting a man sized target center mass at that distance.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 08:45 AM
Colorado Dreamin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post

A .38 is no less accurate than any other gun at shorter distances. I'll guarantee that it's your handling of the gun that is the problem. How are you holding it?

We have to shoot our backup guns on the same qualification course as the primary duty weapons.

That means the last relay is at 75 feet (25 yards). I've never had problems hitting a man sized target center mass at that distance.
Yeah, but you're old as dirt and have been shooting since slingshots were all the rage..

90 Bronco

When I get sad I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead. True story. - Barney Stinson

A lie is a great story that someone ruined with the truth. - Barney Stinson
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:

Lol, Matt what target ammo do you use. I am going to practice with it a little more today as I plan on this being my backup. I am sure I am doing something wrong however I am using both hands and don't think I am jerking it at all. Most of my shots were at 15 yards then I went to 10 yards. At 10 yards with the monarch I was lucky to hit the 2ft x 2ft cardboard box. With the Hornady I hit all 5 rounds on the box lol. Not much of an accomplishment but It was better.

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Alright I cleaned it up some. This is at 20 yards using Remington 130gr. Shot 15 rounds, all hit paper but 1. The one was just about 1/4 of an inch above. Still aiming high and i guess pulling some to the left. First 2 shots were the low ones. Its a good improvement from what I was shooting.

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Btw for size purposes, this is a standard sheet of paper. Ghetto target but it gets the job done.

post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 02:41 PM
I miss Colorado

Quote:

Alright I cleaned it up some. This is at 20 yards using Remington 130gr. Shot 15 rounds, all hit paper but 1. The one was just about 1/4 of an inch above. Still aiming high and i guess pulling some to the left. First 2 shots were the low ones. Its a good improvement from what I was shooting.
Did you try what I said with the empty shells? It will tell you SOO much about your trigger squeeze.
Dont try it, and just keep guessing. That'll get you somewhere

'79 malibu 4speed.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonBT View Post
Did you try what I said with the empty shells? It will tell you SOO much about your trigger squeeze.
Dont try it, and just keep guessing. That'll get you somewhere
Yes I have done that and I was moving it up some with my trigger pull. I have corrected it some as you can see I am actually hitting paper, and I am at further distance. I don't think thats bad at all for 20 yards personally.

post #16 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 03:02 PM
I miss Colorado

Quote:
Yes I have done that and I was moving it up some with my trigger pull. I have corrected it some as you can see I am actually hitting paper, and I am at further distance. I don't think thats bad at all for 20 yards personally.
Right on. hold that piece of paper on your chest, and you'd be hitting something with every one of those shots.

'79 malibu 4speed.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

post #17 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 03:14 PM
Time Served

It sounds like a ton of practice is in your future. Haven't shot the new line of body guard guns but I have shot plenty of J frames and they are PLENTY accurate with a bit of practice. Ditch the monarch ammo and get some WWB or Remington target ammo from Wal-Mart and that may help you a bit.

Rule#2 Double Tap
post #18 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 03:27 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo855 View Post
It sounds like a ton of practice is in your future. Haven't shot the new line of body guard guns but I have shot plenty of J frames and they are PLENTY accurate with a bit of practice. Ditch the monarch ammo and get some WWB or Remington target ammo from Wal-Mart and that may help you a bit.
I did ditch the monarch. That target I shot and posted was with Remington 130g target ammo from walmart.

post #19 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-11-2010, 08:33 PM
Lifer

Qualification for a BUG is 50 rounds. 15 rounds duty (125 gn HP +P) and 35 rounds of wadcutter (which isn't known for accuracy).
post #20 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 12:24 PM
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Qualification for a BUG is 50 rounds. 15 rounds duty (125 gn HP +P) and 35 rounds of wadcutter (which isn't known for accuracy).
At what distance? I'd like to see if I can "qualify" with my snubby Taurus M85.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #21 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 12:42 PM
Lifer

I can't tell, but does it have fixed sights? Shorties with fixed sights can be tough. Just getting used to it will make a huge difference.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #22 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-12-2010, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil jose View Post
If it was anything like mine it should only be 5 rounds at 25yards.

post #23 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 06:52 AM
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
If it was anything like mine it should only be 5 rounds at 25yards.
Cool.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #24 of 24 (permalink) Old 10-13-2010, 06:32 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil jose View Post
We shoot from the 3/5/7/15 and 25 yard lines for qualifications.

The last stage at 25 yards is 5 rounds kneeling from a barricade, reload and 5 rounds standing from a barricade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement