AR15 vs M4 - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

AR15 vs M4

I was in Cheaper than Dirt Guns today, and was looking at these rifles. After reading the specs on the Colt website, it seems both are very similar besides the barrel length?

I'm trying to learn as much as I can before I purchase. The M4 was less than the AR. I like the M4 because it's smaller. Any suggestions from owners?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 11:35 AM
Meeeeooowww

M4 is a type or configuration of AR. Also have midlength, rifle, etc. Most will have the 16 or 20 inch barrel.

Kinda like Mustang LX and GT

Go to AR15.com and start reading.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 12:03 PM
Lifer

What he said, an M4 is an AR 15.

A true M4 has steeper cuts in the throat of the barrel and the upper where the round slides in. It also has an M4 profile barrel, which is different because it has a circular cutout just in front of the front sight base.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 12:28 PM
BP
Keep your unicorns

It's range and accuracy vs compactness. Unless you are shooting stuff 300+meters away the M4 will be a better choice.

Buell 1125R
Raptor 700R
No fast cars though
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 01:00 PM
Banned

M4 is the armed force's designation for a model of shortened m16 type rifles. M4s have a 14.5 inch barrel with an m203 cut, a collapsible stock, different feed ramps, a carbine length gas system, and most importantly a selector for safe/semi/burst fire. A regular m4 fires in 3 round bursts, while an m4a1 has a fully automatic setting.

That being said, I have never seen a real m4 for sale. I have seen converted m16s, but never a genuine transferable m4 carbine on the market.

The "m4" rifles marketed to civilians do not even have the 14.5 inch barrel, but rather a 16 inch barrel that retains the m203 cut (for some reason) and the collapsible stock. Sometimes these rifles do not even have true m4 feed ramps. I personally do not like semi automatic ar15 carbines to have the m203 cut, as I do not plan to install a grenade launcher.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 01:13 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCTR View Post
M4 is the armed force's designation for a model of shortened m16 type rifles. M4s have a 14.5 inch barrel with an m203 cut, a collapsible stock, different feed ramps, a carbine length gas system, and most importantly a selector for safe/semi/burst fire. A regular m4 fires in 3 round bursts, while an m4a1 has a fully automatic setting.

That being said, I have never seen a real m4 for sale. I have seen converted m16s, but never a genuine transferable m4 carbine on the market.

The "m4" rifles marketed to civilians do not even have the 14.5 inch barrel, but rather a 16 inch barrel that retains the m203 cut (for some reason) and the collapsible stock. Sometimes these rifles do not even have true m4 feed ramps. I personally do not like semi automatic ar15 carbines to have the m203 cut, as I do not plan to install a grenade launcher.
There arent any transferrables, but technically one can convert their current M16 to one same as the govt has done numerous times and have a "real" M4.

As for civilian, Colt 6921 is about as close as one can get with lettering and so forth. NFA paperwork will need to be done.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-28-2010, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Thanks for the input. I'm leaning more towards the M4.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement