Local forum member convicted of murder in "self defense" case - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Local forum member convicted of murder in "self defense" case

http://www.dallasimports.net/forums/...ic=146289&st=0

Quote:
Back in March of 09 Doug was out walking his dog at 2a.m. Had the gun on him while walking his dog. He heard a girl crying and then went to go see what was wrong. She told him the guy beat her and threw her out of the apartment. Doug told her, "Why don't you call the cops?" The BF overheard, came running out attacking Doug. Pushing him against the wall and started beating him. Doug told him to stop several times, and then told the guy he had a firearm, and that if he did not stop, he would shoot. The guy continued, Doug shot him in the stomach. Right after that, Doug called 911, stayed with the guy till police arrived. He was taken in, and the D.A. charged him with murder. In the essence of full disclosure Doug does not have a CHL.

To any level headed individual this would look like a pretty clear case of self defense and something that a good man would do if he were to find a woman being physically assaulted. However the Plano PD saw it a different way they saw it as murder, premeditated murder in fact. Since there was no motive beyond the actions of a good man they had to fabricate a story of Doug being in a love triangle with the woman and that he wanted the man out of the way. There could be no evidence towards this as none existed, yet that did not stop a detective from putting it in his report and an eager DA from prosecuting based on a lie. Even the girl that had once asked Doug for help changed her story and helped put Doug away for murder.

This is why so many of us are angry Doug was the best of us and I don't say that jokingly he was honestly the most morally upstanding person I had met. Just genuinely nice not because he had to be but because he wanted to be and it couldn't have happened to a worst person. This is upsetting and we feel like we're doing nothing by keeping it between ourselves we think that the DI family should know especially those of you in Plano. We're going to setup a defense fund for his family once we have it setup we would like to ask any of you that can give to give to help set an innocent man free.
Cliff notes- Guy walking his dog in his apartment complex in Plano late at night, carrying a pistol with no CHL. Hears damsel in distress, goes to render aid. She tells him she has been beaten by BF, guy advises her to call 911. BF overhears this advice from inside apt, goes out and attacks the "good Samaritan" who shoots the BF in "self defense."

Charged and convicted of murder, accepts plea bargain and is sentenced to 17 years.

It looks like there is definitely more to the story, but everyone who knows the guy insists that the love triangle idea is totally false and completely fabricated by the DA.

I would like to hear the LEO take on this.- Is this looked at as a situation that he instigated, therefore invalidating his claim of self defense? Or is the problem that he was carrying without a CHL? If so, then why no additional gun charge?(UCW, etc.)

SC300 5spd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 06:32 PM
Adrenaline is my ABS.

Ftp!

1985 Mustang GT "MNM"
post #3 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 06:42 PM
DFWS

who?

Keepin' The Old School Alive

post #4 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 06:48 PM
Banned

Bull shit. I carry with no chl walking my dog around the complex as my ninja neighbor has a bad ass pit that is super agressive. I know its a no no, but I will not let an asshole dog fuck up my defensless puppy. This was a different situation but I thinkl he was in the right.

FMOTP (fuck most of the police)
post #5 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 08:24 PM
Time Served

If the police and DA were wrong, why did he take a plea? If the story that you listed is true I could see manslaughter charges being presented to a grand jury and likely no billed by the grand jury. Was the case even presented to a grand jury?

99 Light Pewter Metallic FRC Corvette,TSP 5.3 heads, TSP 229/231 .623/.617 110.5 cam, FAST 92/NW 92 TB, LGMotorsports Longtubes, Corsa Pace Car cat back, Vararam and LS7 clutch.
post #6 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 08:40 PM
Lifer

I wonder why they are so firm about the pre-meditated murder angle? I would have like to have seen the evidence. This story sounds iffy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR EDD View Post
it was not a problem to bring money to his house at 10pm.so why is it a problem to call and bitch.it wasnt a problem when we were all sitting around smoking pot together.yes i said it we all were smoking pot together.what now stupid.
post #7 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 08:40 PM
Lifer

I can't find the law at the moment, but there is a defense to prosecution in TX regarding the unlawful carrying of a firearm basically saying that if you use it to save your life you were justified in carrying it. I can't recall the exact phrasing of the law, but I'm looking for it.

post #8 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 08:53 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
I can't find the law at the moment, but there is a defense to prosecution in TX regarding the unlawful carrying of a firearm basically saying that if you use it to save your life you were justified in carrying it. I can't recall the exact phrasing of the law, but I'm looking for it.
Good luck in finding it.
post #9 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 08:53 PM
Time Served

morals of this story

- CHL
- dont walk the dog at 2am
- dont walk the dog at 2am with a concealed weapon
- dont walk the dog at 2am with a concealed weapon where crazy girls are
- dont walk the dog at 2am with a concealed weapon where abused girls are and not call 911 immediately. your not emergency services
- When you walk the dog at 2am have your chl, weapon, and phone. If your life is not in immediate danger call 911.
- If you shoot somebody and have a concealed weapon the person you shot better not be part of your lovers triangle, and it better not be at 2am when your out "walking the dog"
- if you shoot somebody make sure you have a good lawyer
- If your found guilty of murder and it was a mistake have a lawyer that knows how to appeal
- dont drive some douched out import (or domestic)
- if you do goto jail ... well there's a bunch of other morals to be learned there

any morals missed?
post #10 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 08:54 PM
African Booty Scratcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post
Good luck in finding it.
adam cant even read.

god bless.
post #11 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 08:59 PM
Pushed to the limit

What I took from the story is this:

Learn to defend yourself without a gun.

Buying dogs kills.
post #12 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 09:03 PM
duh...duh....duh

This is almost an exact scenario my CHL instructor gave that was an eye opener. Now this is for those of WITH a CHL, much less without.

His scenario was your trying to help the dumb broad getting the crap beat out of her. The BF turns on you and overtakes you. Miraculously you're able to pull your weapon and kill the dude.

Now the woman changes her tune "you killed her boyfriend!!!" AND the boyfriend did not have a gun. His scenario, he indicated that the dude not having a gun and then that chicks always flip-flop - you go to jail.

Do I agree, no.

The guy in the story had 3 strikes on him and then a supposed 4th one added. No CHL, no weapon on the BF, girl flipped (or maybe not, did she actually ASK for help?) and then the fabricated story.

I came to the conclusion I ain't shooting or getting involved in anyone's problem unless it directly affects my family and/or I. Everyone else out there is generally eligible for a CHL. Stories like this one just support the gun hater's attitude though.

My '03 Sold.
post #13 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 09:03 PM
duh...duh....duh

Also, who is the board member?

My '03 Sold.
post #14 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 09:38 PM
Lifer

You post this shit on a lot of gun forums. Good luck
post #15 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
You post this shit on a lot of gun forums. Good luck
?

If you were implying that I have posted it on a lot of gun forums, you are mistaken. This is the only place I have posted this "shit"

SC300 5spd
post #16 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 11:42 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Good luck in finding it.
Are you indicating that it does not exist?

post #17 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 12:18 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Are you indicating that it does not exist?
I've never seen it. I've read the entire Penal Code and Code of Criminal Procedure front to back and I never remember seeing it.
post #18 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 12:26 AM
Lifer

Quote:
I've never seen it. I've read the entire Penal Code and Code of Criminal Procedure front to back and I never remember seeing it.
I ran out of "give a damn", but should I find it, I'll bounce you a copy.

post #19 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 07:31 AM
Colorado Dreamin'

Quote:
I ran out of "give a damn", but should I find it, I'll bounce you a copy.
Is it possible it is just case law?

90 Bronco

When I get sad I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead. True story. - Barney Stinson

A lie is a great story that someone ruined with the truth. - Barney Stinson
post #20 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 08:23 AM
Time Served

ouch not good

the self defense thing only works if your minding your own buisness, not if you are a civilian trying to do police work.
If doug would have kept walking his dog and maybe called 911 to report a problem then no harm done.

Big misconception concealed gun carry gives you the option to carry, not to do police work.

very very unfortunate situation.
my prayers for both sides.
respectfully.

Would this be the same Doug that worked at Dallas mustang about 10years ago?

Last edited by Flanders; 09-22-2010 at 08:34 AM. Reason: spelling
post #21 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 08:41 AM
Worship me

If I was on the jury I would say that I would have to see the physical evidence of this love triangle.

All of this "The DA made this shit up" is very easily solved. I'd want to see phone records where he called this girl or emails or whatever else. There would be some physical evidence of their involvement beyond the DA just saying so.

To be honest, I have a hard time believing that the DA is just going to make that shit up, take it to court and hope everyone doesn't call bullshit.

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." - Ed Howdershelt
post #22 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P View Post
If I was on the jury I would say that I would have to see the physical evidence of this love triangle.

All of this "The DA made this shit up" is very easily solved. I'd want to see phone records where he called this girl or emails or whatever else. There would be some physical evidence of their involvement beyond the DA just saying so.

To be honest, I have a hard time believing that the DA is just going to make that shit up, take it to court and hope everyone doesn't call bullshit.
I agree - it seems fishy. I would think it would be pretty easy to prove whether or not they knew each other, phone records being a slam dunk. Beyond that, just little shit you wouldn't know about a complete stranger walking by - what kind of car they drive, where do they live, work, what size bed she got railed on, etc.
post #23 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 08:58 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by txsr20de View Post
?

If you were implying that I have posted it on a lot of gun forums, you are mistaken. This is the only place I have posted this "shit"
Well seeing it on ar15.com along damn near anywhere else that has a gun forum in north Texas, no im not mistaken. Except someone else is posting it also.
post #24 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 09:01 AM
Lifer

I have heard one side of this story so I am confident the police were wrong.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

If you like the IRS, DMV and the Post Office, you will love Obamacare!

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
post #25 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 09:05 AM
Aspiring Bean Counter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
I have heard one side of this story so I am confident the police were wrong.
You've got a couple thousand angles off of which to work in this discussion that would be entirely legitimate and that's what comes out of your landfill of a mouth? This doesn't have a whole lot to do with the cops either, sounds like the DA's office would be the aim of an FTP-er's anger if they're going to go after a figurehead in this case. Don't be so butthurt.

post #26 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 09:22 AM
Worship me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhand View Post
Don't be so butthurt.
That is like asking him not to breathe.

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." - Ed Howdershelt
post #27 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 09:35 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flanders View Post
ouch not good

the self defense thing only works if your minding your own buisness, not if you are a civilian trying to do police work.
If doug would have kept walking his dog and maybe called 911 to report a problem then no harm done.

Big misconception concealed gun carry gives you the option to carry, not to do police work.

very very unfortunate situation.
my prayers for both sides.
respectfully.

Would this be the same Doug that worked at Dallas mustang about 10years ago?
You're a fucking moron if you think that you don't share a responsibility to stop another citizen from being the victim of violent crime if you have the opportunity.

post #28 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 09:37 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
Is it possible it is just case law?
That's very possible, but I don't recall the phrasing that made it easy to find the first time I looked for it.

post #29 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 09:40 AM
Lifer

I dont believe the OP's story either...more believable scenario would be that Doug was "walking his dog" and the girl's boyfriend saw them outside talking and came out to ask Doug WTF and commenced to beating his sneaking ass...Doug, being a real pussy, couldnt defend himself with his hands so he decided to blast this guy. Girlfriend doesnt want to be an accomplice in murder, so she takes the state's/dead BF's side and puts Doug away...he is where he needs to be.
post #30 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 09:41 AM
Time Served

Quote:
You're a fucking moron if you think that you don't share a responsibility to stop another citizen from being the victim of violent crime if you have the opportunity.
No
calling 911 would have been my responsibility

besides 99% of the women who let there boyfriend kick there ass do not press charges and continue to take the boyfriend back by choice.
This I do not understand.
I have been talking with a girl who was beat for years by a guy and I am trying to understand why she never left him after the first beating.
she tells me that she was stuck and felt she had no other alternative.

Hi Ya'll

Last edited by Flanders; 09-22-2010 at 09:53 AM.
post #31 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 09:44 AM
Lifer

Quote:
No
calling 911 would have been my responsibility
I don't know who the fuck you are, so don't flatter yourself with some sort of infatuation scenario. You are however a fuckhead who talks about himself in third person.

post #32 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 09:48 AM
Time Served

unless one has ever been drug through the courts and legal system you can't understand what a huge mess all of it is.
Just know anytime you pull that gun out be ready to be defending yourself in a court of law.

That alone will make one think twice before pulling a gun.

I'll take a good beating before I pull a gun. I have better things to do then defend myself in a courtroom.

Hi Ya'll
post #33 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 10:03 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:

*IF* the story posted above is true and factual, I don't see how a jury can convict this guy of murder in good conscience. And like you say, there would have to be physical proof. Either that, or the guy in the story hired the worst criminal defense lawyer ever.
post #34 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 10:14 AM
Worship me

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
*IF* the story posted above is true and factual, I don't see how a jury can convict this guy of murder in good conscience. And like you say, there would have to be physical proof. Either that, or the guy in the story hired the worst criminal defense lawyer ever.
Well, that is what I am saying. If I am on the jury and the DA rolls in there with this whole story about a love triangle, I am going to want to see something besides a fancy dog and pony show proving it.

I don't see how this would have got past a reasonable person on the jury but then again I have to pause because I am surrounded by mouth breathing idiots every day who couldn't pour piss out of a boot.

post #35 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 10:27 AM
You never go full retard

subscribing

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
post #36 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 12:44 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowhand View Post
You've got a couple thousand angles off of which to work in this discussion that would be entirely legitimate and that's what comes out of your landfill of a mouth? This doesn't have a whole lot to do with the cops either, sounds like the DA's office would be the aim of an FTP-er's anger if they're going to go after a figurehead in this case. Don't be so butthurt.
Why can't I hear/read one side of the story and make up my mind? Man, that's not fair!

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

If you like the IRS, DMV and the Post Office, you will love Obamacare!

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
post #37 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 01:09 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I'll take a good beating before I pull a gun. I have better things to do then defend myself in a courtroom.
I'm glad I don't have to depend on you to help me.

Assuming the story is true, that sucks about the guy trying to do his job as a man and defend a woman. If a guy let's a woman get beat on by another dude and he doesn't step in and defend her, then he is a worthless, piece of shit, pussy and doesn't deserve the love of a woman.

Of course, the story, which was on the news a few weeks ago, could have ended up like it did for an aquintance of mine. He tried to defend a friend (girl) from getting beat by her boyfriend and the boyfriend pulls a gun out and kills him. I'd rather be the one doing the shooting than being buried.
post #38 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 01:12 PM
Time Served

Quote:
I'll take a good beating
thats probably why you keep trolling these forums
post #39 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 01:34 PM
Worship me

Quote:
Originally Posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
Well played sir.

post #40 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 02:11 PM
dee
Lifer

More to the story or he wouldn't have taken the deal.
post #41 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 02:20 PM
Colorado Dreamin'

BTW.. He wasn't convicted of murder as indicated in the title.. He pled guilty to it under the plea bargain.

90 Bronco

When I get sad I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead. True story. - Barney Stinson

A lie is a great story that someone ruined with the truth. - Barney Stinson
post #42 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 02:25 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
refer to sig

Hi Ya'll
post #43 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 03:46 PM
Worship me

Stupid Flanders

post #44 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 03:52 PM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Stupid Flanders
He must be depressed. They killed Maude last night.
post #45 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 04:21 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Quote:
That's because there is no such law.

But you already knew that.

Online forums are the absolute worst about quoting mythical laws that support someone's justification in a discussion.
post #46 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 04:40 PM
Time Served

Quote:
refer to sig
wow your dumb
post #47 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 04:55 PM
Banned

There's a bunch of red flags that pop when i read about this.
#1. Who walks there dog @ 2am?
#2. If someone is beating you up you dont have the time or chance to inform them to stop
#3. If you are getting beat up how do you have time to pull out your gun and shoot him in the gut?
#4. If you did indeed tell the guy beating you up that you had a gun the guy would've done something about it(grab for the gun, stop beating him up,etc...)
post #48 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 05:20 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odin View Post
That's because there is no such law.

But you already knew that.

Online forums are the absolute worst about quoting mythical laws that support someone's justification in a discussion.
If you are insinuating that I would make up or claim something non-factual to support an argument, then you obviously don't know me.

post #49 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 05:52 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Quote:
If you are insinuating that I would make up or claim something non-factual to support an argument, then you obviously don't know me.
I'm not.

I'm suggesting that this is yet another of the millions of instances where someone on a forum quotes or references a mythical law that doesn't exist.

I'm not speculating on your motives.
post #50 of 75 (permalink) Old 09-22-2010, 05:58 PM
Banned

Odin with the vette? From RKC?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement