.223 ammo - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

.223 ammo

Would it be ok to shoot lacquer coated steel case ammo through my AR?

GT22356F Golden Tiger .223 56gr FMJBT AMMUNITION $4.20/20 or $180.00/1k
Golden Tiger .223 56gr Lead Core projectile, Laquer Coated Steel case, NON-Corrosive. Known for their outstanding Quality in ammuniton production you won't be disappointed in this. Packed in 20rnd boxes, 50 boxes to each case of 1000 rounds.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 12:41 PM
Lifer

Should be fine, some AR's dont like it and FTF's. Main thing is it's just a bit more dirty. May require a little bit more extensive cleaning, but its not gonna hurt anything.

1957 Chevy Belair
1953 M38A1

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 06:38 PM
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmuskie View Post
Would it be ok to shoot lacquer coated steel case ammo through my AR?

GT22356F Golden Tiger .223 56gr FMJBT AMMUNITION $4.20/20 or $180.00/1k
Golden Tiger .223 56gr Lead Core projectile, Laquer Coated Steel case, NON-Corrosive. Known for their outstanding Quality in ammuniton production you won't be disappointed in this. Packed in 20rnd boxes, 50 boxes to each case of 1000 rounds.

NO. Don't shoot metal cases out of your AR.

Steel does not expand like brass does. As a result, part of the blow back starts to go around the empty casing, coating your chamber with carbon. After you shoot enough, it will start to "Stick" to your cases. (Brass does NOT do this).

I've seen more than one AR get a shell STUCK in the chamber because of this.

Also if you shoot metal cases, DO NOT SHOOT BRASS until you REALLY clean the chamber, otherwise the brass will stick FAST (Due to it expanding more and fully sealing the chamber when you light one off).

2006 Mustang GT

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 08:38 PM
Factory Issue

Buy a broken shell extractor for the next time you shoot brass.

Give me a dollar.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 09:00 PM
Fear the lawn gnome

If its what you can afford to shoot then shoot it. Its dirtier than brass due to the expansion and can lead to problems if you are switching from brass and steel case. Your extractor will get some more wear, and all in all Its a cheap part to replace if you do ever have problems.

Some company's will also void any warranty if you shoot steal case.

If you really want some fun trigger time get a 22 conversion or one of those kick ass smith/Wesson ar22's.

Now with all that said. I shoot steal case stuff from time to time and have never had a issue. Now I dont shoot a 1000 rounds a range trip and unload mags either. Ill usually shoot a 5-10round group and then wait 5-10 min and let my rifle cool down. In this time im shooting my 22. I'm just about to buy a 1k case of wolf. Its more accurate out of my hunting rifle than pmc brass and is only a inch to the left at a 100 yards vs my hornady rounds.

Cliff notes: shoots fine, extra wear on extractor(you might get 5k vs 10k with brass rounds. Clean your shit well, shoot brass then steel not the other way around and you should never have a problem.

Have fun and happy shooting.

Ps some people can clean their ar's in 5-10 min and call it good. I can spend a good hour on mine making sure its well maintained to my standards.

What you might call solitude is something i look forward to.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 09:06 PM
Fear the lawn gnome

Its also nice if you can reload. Then you can make nice clean accurate rounds cheap.

This will be my next purchase once i shoot the 1k of .45 ive accumulated 4 years ago.

What you might call solitude is something i look forward to.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yale View Post
I don't much about an AR to understand what you meant, but I'm slowly learning. BTW, I have only shot maybe 40 rounds of brass cased ammo through my AR since purchased new. I just didn't want to spend $100.00 for only 200 rounds again from a local retail store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeperLS View Post
If you really want some fun trigger time get a 22 conversion or one of those kick ass smith/Wesson ar22's.
That "kick ass" .22 is on the way, but it's not the M&P 15-22.

Quote:
Ps some people can clean their ar's in 5-10 min and call it good. I can spend a good hour on mine making sure its well maintained to my standards.
That's another thing I need to educate myself on. The owners manual seemed vague to me, so I'll watch some YouTube videos for cleaning an AR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotua View Post
NO. Don't shoot metal cases out of your AR.
Well damn, I saw the price and got all excited for nothing. I'll look for the next best brass cased ammo sold in bulk.

Thanks to all who replied.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Its also nice if you can reload. Then you can make nice clean accurate rounds cheap.

This will be my next purchase once i shoot the 1k of .45 ive accumulated 4 years ago.
It will be along time from now before I even attempt to do my own reloading on rifle ammo. I may try my hand at reloading shotgun shells first.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 09:55 PM
Factory Issue

FYI:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...AAAKoEBU_QcyXB

They're available for most caliber families.

Give me a dollar.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
I thought it was kind of weird you wanted me to buy a broken shell extractor. I guess I was thinking the shell extractor was a part of the gun. I don't buy much of anything that's already been broken lmao, now I understand, thanks to link below. doh!!!
Quote:
FYI:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&s...AAAKoEBU_QcyXB

They're available for most caliber families.
So it's common for brass to break?

BTW, nifty little tool and I'll pick one up, thanks.

Also, sorry some things have to be damn near spelled out for me when it comes to an AR. I have been doing some reading, just not enough, apparently.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 12:43 AM
Factory Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmuskie View Post
I thought it was kind of weird you wanted me to buy a broken shell extractor. I guess I was thinking the shell extractor was a part of the gun. I don't buy much of anything that's already been broken lmao, now I understand, thanks to link below. doh!!!

So it's common for brass to break?

BTW, nifty little tool and I'll pick one up, thanks.

Also, sorry some things have to be damn near spelled out for me when it comes to an AR. I have been doing some reading, just not enough, apparently.
It's not at all common, but it's great insurance in case it does happen, and it's most likely to happen if you've been shooting cheap steel core ammo before brass ammo. Savvy?

Give me a dollar.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 09-20-2010, 03:22 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
It's not at all common, but it's great insurance in case it does happen, and it's most likely to happen if you've been shooting cheap steel core ammo before brass ammo. Savvy?
Gotcha. I ordered one from Brownells along with a book about AR's. I've only shot maybe 40 or so rounds of brass cased ammo since new.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 11:00 PM
tear'n asphalt in the 68'

I fire steel through my AR all damn day, sometimes if I get the chnace I'll fire 500 plus rounds of the stuff through it. It is easy to tell that it dirties up your rifle quite a bit but it won't hurt it other than maybe a little more wear to the extractor and what not. But this shouldn't be a problem for most folks. Hell I've put more than 5 or 6 thousand rounds of the stuff through my gun and all I do is make sure to clean it before I put it in the safe, a bore brush and a little gun cleaner go a long way.

Check out the link if you want to check out an article I found on the subject a while back, pretty cool site:

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu18.htm

The story would be different if you were firing this out of an AUG... Found that out the hard way.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement