Euless Police Officer on this board? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Euless Police Officer on this board?

Posting in the armory simply becuase most officers like to talk about guns

I was driving to North Richland Hills yesterday afternoon for a meeting, and was rear-ended by a Federal Officer (Homeland Security) while on duty in uniform and a police marked vehicle. It was stop-and-go traffic, and he just ran into me when traffic started moving. I am not at fault, however, their accident investigator had to come out along with Euless Police.

My dilemma. Since Homeland Security (and all Federal agencies) are self-insured, the amount of red-tape involved to start the process is beyond belief. I have to file a tort claim against the goverment, and my insurance agency said it could take months.... I am going to start the process of repair today, will most likely be completely out-of-pocket until completion, and than file a tort against Homeland. If I had to guess; damages are around $1,500-$1,900 (Shelby rearend), and I want to replace with the Ford part numbers installed.

Can I just call the Euless Police, give them the Report Number, and get a copy of the report? Same thing with the Homeland Security folks? Of course, I have voice mails "everywhere", but haven't heard back from anyone other than my agent. Of course, Allstate would handle on my behalf, however, I am still out funds until the Government pays the claim (their estimate is anywhere between 3-24 months), and I would have a claim against my policy.

All I want is to have things fixed the way they were - nothing more. I understand shit happens - even to officers - but to make the process difficult or impossible is just plain ole bullshit..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 02:23 PM
Time Served

File through your insurance company. Make them do all the leg work to be reinversed.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 05:09 PM
dee
Lifer

agreed

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 07:24 PM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

Have your agent file under your uninsured/underinsured part of your policy. It shows as a bot-at-fault on your ins history, and allows them to subrogate the claim and reimburse your deducible once it's paid.

The Govt. is Self Insured. Just as if I were self insured, the ins company has to assume there isn't adequate Ins for your repair purposes and cover you, until the get the money from the at-fault party to settle up.

I could be totally wrong though, but that is how my State Farm Agent explained it to me.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-14-2010, 07:55 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

It's called subrogation. Your insurance company pays the loss, then goes after the other party for reimbursement. If you go that route, keep any and all pictures and copies of the police report handy, and every year when it comes time to renew your policy ask your agent for a copy of your loss run.

Insurance companies tend to be laze and don't like to fight the red tape either. It's much easier to list it as a claim on your policy and just be done with it. The underwriter will simply see a loss next year and your rates will go up. If you have documentation and know to ask about loss runs, you can argue to the underwriter and they will not increase your rates.

Lots of BS and fighting either way you go. Months and months fighting the government or several years of fighting off an insurance increase. Wait for a boring day when nothing else is happening and try and shop your story to a local news station. Catch them on a slow news day and maybe the press will help get it resolved quicker.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Thanks - all good advice.. The repair estimate is already $2,400 bucks, and that's what he can see. Guess it could be more, but I just want it fixed.

At this time, Homeland Security will not return my calls nor will they assist in filing the tort claim. I am going to let my insurance agent deal with the mess - I don't have time for shit like this.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 09:19 AM
Time Served

See, this is why no Federal Agency should be allowed to be Self-Insured....We are so far in debt as it is, how can we afford to self-insure every federal agency there is? The government should be required to purchase insurance through any of the big reputable companies just like the rest of us!

2010 GT - 5spd
Roush Extreme Cat-Back Exhaust
3.89 Gears and SCT tuner coming soon!
Future Mods: LCA's, UCA, CAI, Springs, Wheels & Tires, Cams, Blower...
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 09:41 AM
Colorado Dreamin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010BlackGT View Post
See, this is why no Federal Agency should be allowed to be Self-Insured....We are so far in debt as it is, how can we afford to self-insure every federal agency there is? The government should be required to purchase insurance through any of the big reputable companies just like the rest of us!
We are so in debt, how could we afford to pay for insurance for the same?? Many large corporations are also self insured. In theory there is nothing wrong with it. The reason why insurance companies can make money is that they have so many people insured that the monthly premiums combined are more than the claims they pay out. I.E. their profit is built into the premiums.

The reason larger companies and the government are self insured is that rather than pay all the monthly premiums which include the insurance company profits they just keep a certain amount of cash on hand to cover claims. The government being self insured is actually cheaper for them (and ultimately us, the taxpayer) because they don't have to cover the insurance company's profit.

That said, because they are not an insurance company, the claim process is not as streamlined and refined (if you consider insurance companies streamlined and refined anyways). That makes it more difficult for us normal people to deal with them.

90 Bronco

When I get sad I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead. True story. - Barney Stinson

A lie is a great story that someone ruined with the truth. - Barney Stinson
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 09:43 AM
Resident Epicurean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili View Post
We are so in debt, how could we afford to pay for insurance for the same?? Many large corporations are also self insured. In theory there is nothing wrong with it. The reason why insurance companies can make money is that they have so many people insured that the monthly premiums combined are more than the claims they pay out. I.E. their profit is built into the premiums.

The reason larger companies and the government are self insured is that rather than pay all the monthly premiums which include the insurance company profits they just keep a certain amount of cash on hand to cover claims. The government being self insured is actually cheaper for them (and ultimately us, the taxpayer) because they don't have to cover the insurance company's profit.

That said, because they are not an insurance company, the claim process is not as streamlined and refined (if you consider insurance companies streamlined and refined anyways). That makes it more difficult for us normal people to deal with them.
You have a point, but there is no excuse for not returning phone calls, refusing to help with the claim process, and a 3-24 month window to be reimbursed YOUR OUT OF POCKET when the guy was just driving to work minding his business, and some mindless mouth breather rear ended him.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 09:48 AM
Colorado Dreamin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
You have a point, but there is no excuse for not returning phone calls, refusing to help with the claim process, and a 3-24 month window to be reimbursed YOUR OUT OF POCKET when the guy was just driving to work minding his business, and some mindless mouth breather rear ended him.
Oh, I absolutely agree. I was just addressing that dude's reasoning for why we shouldn't allow the government to be self insured.

If it is possible, I agree with the recommendations to file it on your own insurance and let them subrogate (sp?). You're out the deductable for now but that's better than the full amount.

90 Bronco

When I get sad I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead. True story. - Barney Stinson

A lie is a great story that someone ruined with the truth. - Barney Stinson
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-15-2010, 09:51 AM
Worship me

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcoop View Post
Exactly. Being "self insured" is another way of saying that the government can just ignore the person they fucked and they will just go away.

My favorite part of all of this is the part where the employee who ran into him feels like he has no obligation to do anything to make it right. The federal employee is no better than the fucking scumbag who drives around with no insurance.

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." - Ed Howdershelt
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-19-2010, 10:13 PM
GE
Lifer

Sovereign immunity. Have fun with that.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 05:07 PM
Psycho Pilot Racing

You guys are funny,this happened yesterday and everyone is saying you are screwed. If you are posting this 6 or 12 months from now...then you might be right.

**Disclaimer: Opinions cited by me are not necessarily my opinions.
Facts cited by me are not necessarily facts.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-21-2010, 05:13 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claircom View Post
Thanks - all good advice.. The repair estimate is already $2,400 bucks, and that's what he can see. Guess it could be more, but I just want it fixed.

At this time, Homeland Security will not return my calls nor will they assist in filing the tort claim. I am going to let my insurance agent deal with the mess - I don't have time for shit like this.
Call up there and tell them you're going to blow their motherfucking building up if they don't pay for your shit right away.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 09-26-2010, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Well...... I had my insurance agent pay for the damages, have a claim on my record, out $800-bucks on a deductible ($1k -$200 for being an outstanding citizen :-) , and they will try to get THEIR money back. I still have to file a claim against Homeland Security, and have yet to get a return call back. My tort claim status is 'zero' - I am not even sure where to start.

I picked up the car yesterday - not perfect, but wanted to get it back in the garage. I will most likely need to return it for bumper cover alignment. Fortunately, I was the only car in the shop, so they had a full crew working on it!

I travel extensively (CJ can attest to my schedule), and I happen to know a Director at Homeland. I don't want to pull that card , but will ask him to fast track this when needed. I just want my cash back, some loss of use monies, and possibly diminshed value (if it was reported to a carfax type report).

I am home for the week, and need to spend the day on the phone hunting down the 'right people' to start my process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement