Should I reweld it? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Should I reweld it?

Maybe its just me, but it looks like the MAC-10 may be facing an issue. Normally the Powder Springs guns dont have problems with welds breaking loose, but I am getting a little worried.

The weld on the rear of the receiver is looking a little shoddy when compared with the one on the other side. This is natural, as the left side takes more of a beating when the bolt comes back than the right side. What I dont know about welding could fill a warehouse though. My thought is that if the weld were breaking/gradually coming off, then there would be no color/parkerization where it appears to be coming loose. Maybe this was just a factory weld that isnt as pretty as the other side?

Anyways, what do you think-

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 10:48 AM
Lifer

Ew!

I would like to have that repaired if it were mine.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 10:50 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post
Ew!

I would like to have that repaired if it were mine.
Yeah that is what I am thinking, have it fixed before something really goes wrong.

I found a good company that will do it for a reasonable price, and will completely refinish the gun for $150-
http://www.csm-w.com/products/index....11&submit=view

Although I may only get the lower refinished, because I ordered something special for the gun this morning

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 11:40 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCTR View Post
Yeah that is what I am thinking, have it fixed before something really goes wrong.

I found a good company that will do it for a reasonable price, and will completely refinish the gun for $150-
http://www.csm-w.com/products/index....11&submit=view

Although I may only get the lower refinished, because I ordered something special for the gun this morning
Do your research and google some Mac10 forums to see if they have any horror stories regarding that company.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 12:07 PM
Banned

Looks like it is pretty standard for (DIY) welding to be done on these guns.. From building kits to modifying them. From the pic, doesn't look like anything is about to break.

You could probley do it yourself, but I would take it to a gunsmith. (sounds like you already have that lined up)

You most likely have some money in this gun and it would be a shame to accidentally damage it for the cost of a weld. Or more importantly hurt yourself or someone else if it malfunctions.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 01:22 PM
Lifer

that is a crappy weld.
strong enough to do whatever it does .... i don't know
but the builder certainly could have done a better job

79 K5 blazer, 6" lift 38x15" tires d44/12b lockers and chromoly axles ,6.2L GM diesel - Waste Vegetable Oil conversion - cross over steering,14"SAW nitrogen shocks, beefed shackles, shackle flip, winch/ bumpers, diff covers.

94 CBR 600 naked, handbraked, -1 +3 sprockets, one wheel operation mod

"I'm sorry, nothing quite says, "F- You, I'm from Texas" like an all-business, stripped-down K5."
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 01:34 PM
Banned

hit up CJ. he should be able to help you out with this!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 02:16 PM
GROWED UP WRONG

For $150 I would send it to them and be done with it, and it would be refinished as new.
That is too cheap to have a little piece of mind on a $3000 investment, and possibly avoiding injury.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by futant View Post
that is a crappy weld.
strong enough to do whatever it does .... i don't know
but the builder certainly could have done a better job
I have put around 500 rounds through the gun, and I am sure the owners before me had their fun as well. Hell, the barrel is damn near a smooth bore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped54 View Post
For $150 I would send it to them and be done with it, and it would be refinished as new.
That is too cheap to have a little piece of mind on a $3000 investment, and possibly avoiding injury.
Yeah, I sent them an email and they got back to me quickly saying that they do this sort of thing very often, but the sight plate is much more prone to breakage on an m11 than on an m10. Better safe than sorry though.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 03:39 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

that weld = no penatration , it was welded and then grinded down to look smooth but in the process they took most of the weld off of it. when you weld a joint like that you need to bevel both side of the material to get better penatration if you plan on smoothing it out flat after the weld.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 03:43 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

if you can get the end off of the gun i can tig weld it for you at work, but i wouldnt want to try and sneak a fully auto gun or any gun in to my workplace for that matter..let me know Iam in Carrollton.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 03:57 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by longshot View Post
if you can get the end off of the gun i can tig weld it for you at work, but i wouldnt want to try and sneak a fully auto gun or any gun in to my workplace for that matter..let me know Iam in Carrollton.
Who said it was a gun? Break it down into parts and it is just a pile of metal.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 05:22 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post
Who said it was a gun? Break it down into parts and it is just a pile of metal.
I could do that i just did'nt know how much it would break down, i am not to familar with that type of pile of metal...
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 05:29 PM
Lifer

Aeroweld Technologies
See Mike ( Atanasio Chan )

11245 Goodnight Ln.

Welds turbine blades on airline jet engines.

Damn Good.

1/2 mile 9 turns 41.3 sec
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 11:36 AM
CJ
User may be editing post.

It looks fine to me, I'm guessing it was tig welded from the inside and then ground down. It looks like incomplete penetration, but not anything to worry about. If the weld separates, then have it repaired.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 05:39 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
It looks fine to me, I'm guessing it was tig welded from the inside and then ground down. It looks like incomplete penetration, but not anything to worry about. If the weld separates, then have it repaired.
That's what I was going to say. To me, it almost looks like it was repaired once before or manufactured quickly. Dis-coloration happens when you paint or die a hot metal and then it cools. Or maybe that's just how the do their manu process. Not sure if the gun is assembled first then painted ( in that case indicates repair work) or if they do each piece individually ( which would then be normal) I don't typically do TIG welding, but i would assume the properties are the same or similar.

<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/LUNCHBOX414.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204"></iframe>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement