.50 BMG Ar15 conversion; Magazine Fed

http://soldiersystems.net/2010/08/28...-tactilite-t2/

Hell Yes.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 09:56 AM
Lifer

Needs more info and pics.

There is no way in hell a AR lower buffer system can withstand the energy produced by the .50 BMG.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 10:07 AM
Time Served

No worries about the buffer system; this rifle is a bolt action. The lower just holds the trigger, grip , and stock.

Rule#2 Double Tap

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 10:11 AM
mannish boy

why do I feel the sudden urge to unass $2300?
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 10:11 AM
Time Served

MSRP starts at $2300 thats bad ass

post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 10:15 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post
Needs more info and pics.

There is no way in hell a AR lower buffer system can withstand the energy produced by the .50 BMG.
How is that relevant, it is not semi auto. People have been making single shot 50bmg uppers for a long time now. A bolt gun seems like the natural evolution.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 11:42 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo855 View Post
No worries about the buffer system; this rifle is a bolt action. The lower just holds the trigger, grip , and stock.
So the force of the .50 is going through two .250" pins? Doesn't seem structurally sound to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCTR View Post
How is that relevant, it is not semi auto. People have been making single shot 50bmg uppers for a long time now. A bolt gun seems like the natural evolution.
When you guys go shoulder fire a bolt action .50 BMG, gimme a call. Until then don't think its a "great idea".

I've shot an Israeli .50 BMG bolt gun, and I won't do it again. When your shoulder is taking 100% of the recoil of that round, it just isn't fun.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 12:01 PM
Time Served

03trubluGT

Your are damn right about a .50 BMG bolt gun being a hard hitter to the shoulder. A really good muzzle brake is a must for any shoulder fired .50 BMG rifle.

Rule#2 Double Tap
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 12:01 PM
Darkside

Quote:
So the force of the .50 is going through two .250" pins? Doesn't seem structurally sound to me.

When you guys go shoulder fire a bolt action .50 BMG, gimme a call. Until then don't think its a "great idea".

I've shot an Israeli .50 BMG bolt gun, and I won't do it again. When your shoulder is taking 100% of the recoil of that round, it just isn't fun.
Makes sense to me. If I ever have an opportunity to shoot a .50 cal, I want it to be original and heavy as fuck.

"Time is the best teacher.........unfortunately it kills everyone of its students"
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 12:16 PM
Gun Nut- Got Lead?

I have a Bohica MKIII 50cal upper as well and just looking for a place to shoot now. I have fired many rounds thru a similiar setup.
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 03:04 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:

Dude, the bohica uppers hols up just fine through two .250" pins.

And I never said it would be pleasant to shoot, just that it is cool. Please refrain from putting words in my mouth.
post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 06:13 PM
Time Served

My Bohica has less felt recoil that my buddies Barrett..
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-29-2010, 11:49 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCTR View Post
Dude, the bohica uppers hols up just fine through two .250" pins.

And I never said it would be pleasant to shoot, just that it is cool. Please refrain from putting words in my mouth.

So how long have you owned your BOHICA and how many rounds have you put through it?

I know you probably don't own one, but the BOHICA is relatively new, and those that own one aren't going to be putting 500 to 1,000 rounds a weekend through one. That shows my point of them "holding up". Hell, I can make a .50 BMG out of a S&W 642 frame, and if I never shoot it, it will "hold up" for hundreds of years.

Just making a point, not trying to shove words in your mouth.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 12:54 AM
Time Served

Who's shoving what in who's mouth, im confused!
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 11:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
So how long have you owned your BOHICA and how many rounds have you put through it?

I know you probably don't own one, but the BOHICA is relatively new, and those that own one aren't going to be putting 500 to 1,000 rounds a weekend through one. That shows my point of them "holding up". Hell, I can make a .50 BMG out of a S&W 642 frame, and if I never shoot it, it will "hold up" for hundreds of years.

Just making a point, not trying to shove words in your mouth.
You 2 should duke it out.
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 11:39 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen4785 View Post
I probably have a 70 lb advantage over him. Besides, fighting isn't my deal unless it's absolutely the last option.

I will however, kick his ass in a thumb war!

post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-30-2010, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephen4785 View Post
Lol! If Matt hit me once I wouldn't wake up until Christmas.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 11:32 AM
CJ
User may be editing post.

The lower of an ar15 is specifically designed to not put pressure on the pins. That's why the back of the lower curves up before the buffertube. Recoil is absorbed and dispersed through the receiver cqse as well as the tube.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 11:59 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
The lower of an ar15 is specifically designed to not put pressure on the pins. That's why the back of the lower curves up before the buffertube. Recoil is absorbed and dispersed through the receiver cqse as well as the tube.
This is interesting, so I pulled an AR out of the safe.

Just some questions about this. If the design is to have the force dissipated through any place but the pins, why are they .250" diameter? Couldn't a pencil lead size pin do the same? I mean, if they are just there to align the upper to lower, why use a pin that large?

I'm just not convinced that the pins serve absolutely no other purpose than to mate parts.
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 05:26 PM
Psycho Pilot Racing

I have a BOHICA that I have shot alot. I have no problems with it and as someone posted the pins are not taking the brunt of the recoil. It is more like a shove then a kick..its not so bad but I would not want to put 100rds through it at one sitting.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scoped 50.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	99628  

**Disclaimer: Opinions cited by me are not necessarily my opinions.
Facts cited by me are not necessarily facts.
post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 05:28 PM
Psycho Pilot Racing

One more thing..I have shoulder fired my 50..but just to try it. It is too heavy to be accurate and held at the shoulder.

Bad cell phone video..but you get the idea. It did not bother me at all

**Disclaimer: Opinions cited by me are not necessarily my opinions.
Facts cited by me are not necessarily facts.

Last edited by cobra93teal; 08-31-2010 at 05:52 PM. Reason: Cause i cnt spll 4 sht
post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-31-2010, 05:51 PM
CJ

Quote:
This is interesting, so I pulled an AR out of the safe.

Just some questions about this. If the design is to have the force dissipated through any place but the pins, why are they .250" diameter? Couldn't a pencil lead size pin do the same? I mean, if they are just there to align the upper to lower, why use a pin that large?

I'm just not convinced that the pins serve absolutely no other purpose than to mate parts.
They keep the upper and lower connected. They do more than just align the two receivers, but their primary purpose is not absorbing recoil. If energy is not distributed throughout a design it will cause failures. Keeping that mind, the pins are not designed to absorb recoil, their primary purpose is to align the two receivers and prevent the bolt from separating from the trigger group. The recoil buffer is designed to absorb a standard charge .223 cartridge. The rear of the receiver mates in a curve to prevent a pressure point which would lead to cracks and failures.

Since bohicas (and this design) are bolt action the buffer tube plays no part, causing all of the energy to be transferred from the bolt, through the mating surface between receivers at the rear, and into your shoulder. I can't speak for its design or longevity with those kinds if pressures, but my suggestion would be a cheap lower.

As for why the pins are so large, probably because of the detents having their own race, any smaller and the pins would likely break if you dropped the rifle or stabbed too many communists with the bayonet. Excuse any typos, replied on my cell phone.
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 12:39 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
They keep the upper and lower connected. They do more than just align the two receivers, but their primary purpose is not absorbing recoil. If energy is not distributed throughout a design it will cause failures. Keeping that mind, the pins are not designed to absorb recoil, their primary purpose is to align the two receivers and prevent the bolt from separating from the trigger group. The recoil buffer is designed to absorb a standard charge .223 cartridge. The rear of the receiver mates in a curve to prevent a pressure point which would lead to cracks and failures.

Since bohicas (and this design) are bolt action the buffer tube plays no part, causing all of the energy to be transferred from the bolt, through the mating surface between receivers at the rear, and into your shoulder. I can't speak for its design or longevity with those kinds if pressures, but my suggestion would be a cheap lower.

As for why the pins are so large, probably because of the detents having their own race, any smaller and the pins would likely break if you dropped the rifle or stabbed too many communists with the bayonet. Excuse any typos, replied on my cell phone.
Seems logical. But I will again say that any bolt action .50 BMG will be an infrequently fired gun.
post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 10:17 AM
CJ

Quote:
Seems logical. But I will again say that any bolt action .50 BMG will be an infrequently fired gun.
I wonder as well. I presume it would be absolutely ludicrous.
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 12:43 PM
Time Served

Here are a couple of vids of shooting my Bohica out at my lease. We have put over one hundred rounds through it. Only thing keeping us from shooting it more is the cost of ammo and places to shoot. Next time there is a "get together" at the river I will bring it out.

post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-01-2010, 04:54 PM
CJ

Nice seeing you at Quakecon! I certainly look forward to getting the opportunity to see that thing in person. I've always been interested in them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement