Buying my first AR - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Buying my first AR (with pics)

I guess before some damn politician (Dems) reinstates the assault weapon band, I should get while the gettins' good.

I've been trying to find the best, or good deal on preassembled AR's. I came across what I would think is a good deal at Rock River Arms. They're selling their Operator2 series AR's for $1000.00 with free shipping and a choice of one of four free rear sight assemblies.

http://www.rockriverarms.com/index.c...ategory_id=461

Also, I went to Euless Guns & Ammo because of the FFL requirement. I left that place looking like a complete idiot, thinking I needed to fill out the required paperwork, pay the fee and wait for delivery didn't happen as planned. So before I pull the trigger on buying the RRA AR, some input about Rock River and their line of AR's would be helpful.

One other thing, they (EG&A) charges $35 for application fee, is that the going rate?

Thanks.

Last edited by bigmuskie; 09-05-2010 at 03:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 09:40 AM
Time Served

My first AR was a RRA LAR, and it is perfect in every aspect. You will find some nay-sayers on specific brands, but I am very happy with my LAR.

I just received the CTD catalog, and the new McKinney store has S&W M&P-15 AR's for $799.95 . I have an M&P-15X (factory quad-rail), and it is also an exceptional weapon.

...and if you are at CTD McKinney, look at that AK for $399 (seems too good to be true).
post #3 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 11:19 AM
Banned

I would go to the gun show and check some out. Personally, I wouldnt spend more than $800 on an AR, and especially not over $1000 unless I was buying a premium gun (Colt, uber varmint gun, ETC).

post #4 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 11:37 AM
Lifer

Browse the classifieds of forums. There's plenty of people trying to dump shit they wasted money on and now need back all of thesudden.

Id cruise that route before spending a $1k on a gun that there's thousands upon thousand of.
post #5 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 11:50 AM
Rolling with the homies

Might also check CDNN if you don't mind dealing with an FFL. AR's can definitely be had for way under $1K. Personally, I'd look at a used gun and do a little price haggling.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #6 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-21-2010, 01:07 PM
Lifer

You have have a nice AR for under $700 if you want to look around.

This one cost me under $660, but I bought parts on sale.

post #7 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 07:17 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmuskie View Post
I guess before some damn politician (Dems) reinstates the assault weapon band, I should get while the gettins' good.

I've been trying to find the best, or good deal on preassembled AR's. I came across what I would think is a good deal at Rock River Arms. They're selling their Operator2 series AR's for $1000.00 with free shipping and a choice of one of four free rear sight assemblies.

Also, I went to Euless Guns & Ammo because of the FFL requirement. I left that place looking like a complete idiot, thinking I needed to fill out the required paperwork, pay the fee and wait for delivery didn't happen as planned. So before I pull the trigger on buying the RRA AR, some input about Rock River and their line of AR's would be helpful.

One other thing, they (EG&A) charges $35 for application fee, is that the going rate?

Thanks.
Like David said, they can be had much cheaper, and can be built cheaper still.

Not sure what is up with the "application fee", maybe that is really the FFL transfer fee but I don't know.

You have a pm.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
post #8 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow06 View Post
Like David said, they can be had much cheaper, and can be built cheaper still.

Not sure what is up with the "application fee", maybe that is really the FFL transfer fee but I don't know.

You have a pm.
Sent a pm back, thanks.
post #9 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 01:52 PM
Time Served

Quote:

Thanks.
I just ordered the Tactical Operator2 last week. $1,000 is a hell of a deal for that rifle considering all of the extras it has...Flip up Front Sight, Any Rear sight you want ($175) for the Tactical Carry Handle that I chose), The quad rail forearm, Ergo Grip, 2 stage trigger, and the stock. It all adds up to at least a $1,400 rifle that you can buy for $1,000.00 with free shipping.

Prior to this one, I owned a RRA LAR-15 Elite CAR A4. Never had a single issue out of it, and only sold it to fund a car purchase...

2010 GT - 5spd
Roush Extreme Cat-Back Exhaust
3.89 Gears and SCT tuner coming soon!
Future Mods: LCA's, UCA, CAI, Springs, Wheels & Tires, Cams, Blower...
post #10 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-23-2010, 03:32 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010BlackGT View Post
I just ordered the Tactical Operator2 last week. $1,000 is a hell of a deal for that rifle considering all of the extras it has...Flip up Front Sight, Any Rear sight you want ($175) for the Tactical Carry Handle that I chose), The quad rail forearm, Ergo Grip, 2 stage trigger, and the stock. It all adds up to at least a $1,400 rifle that you can buy for $1,000.00 with free shipping.

Prior to this one, I owned a RRA LAR-15 Elite CAR A4. Never had a single issue out of it, and only sold it to fund a car purchase...
Did you order that from their website or another dealer?

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."

- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
post #11 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 06:42 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Did you order that from their website or another dealer?
I had my FFL order it. He doesn't charge me any fees so I pay $1,000 + tax...

2010 GT - 5spd
post #12 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 07:53 AM
Lifer

Quote:
That a good deal and it looks like a nice rifle.

one day...

- Benjamin Franklin

www.blowoutcongress.com
post #13 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 01:33 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Euless Guns and Ammo

You won't hurt your gun hobby by never going back to Euless Guns and Ammo.
IMO You can get anything gun related done cheaper, better and quicker well before you get to them. Again IMO
post #14 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 05:20 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by loc712 View Post
You won't hurt your gun hobby by never going back to Euless Guns and Ammo.
IMO You can get anything gun related done cheaper, better and quicker well before you get to them. Again IMO
They told me they might be able to beat the price Rock River Arms has listed for the Operator2 series, but that they wouldn't know till Monday. Maybe they can and maybe can't, I just left it at that. Knowing there wasn't much left to do, I browsed their store some looking at their AR's. They have AR's identical to what TruBluGT posted above for 1,100 to 1,200 dollars. It was at that point, I was almost certain they probably couldn't beat RRA's price.

The rifle I bought from RRA has a list price of just over $1,500, but for a limited time they are selling them for $1,000 with 1 of 4 free rear sight assembly and free shipping. Found a RRA dealer in Arlington and purchased through him. I was told 4 to 6 weeks, possibly sooner. BTW, I bought the Tactical Operator2 with the tactical carry handle. Hopefully I'm not the last mofo to own an EBR.
post #15 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 05:26 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
I'm stoked man, the anticipation is killing me. Got the same rifle and rear assembly, 4 to 6 weeks.
post #16 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 05:34 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCTR View Post
I would go to the gun show and check some out. Personally, I wouldnt spend more than $800 on an AR, and especially not over $1000 unless I was buying a premium gun (Colt, uber varmint gun, ETC).
Besides Colt, who else would be considered as a premium AR manufacturer. From what I have read, seemed like Rock River Arms was more of the better built rifles.
post #17 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 07:05 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Besides Colt, who else would be considered as a premium AR manufacturer. From what I have read, seemed like Rock River Arms was more of the better built rifles.
It all depends on who you talk to and what their definition of Premium AR MFG is...
Some of the better known brands are LMT, Colt, Noveske, but they are also $300-$600 more than a quality built RRA, Stag, S&W etc...

2010 GT - 5spd
post #18 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 04:26 PM
Time Served

Quote:
I'm stoked man, the anticipation is killing me. Got the same rifle and rear assembly, 4 to 6 weeks.
Just got a call from my FFL. My Rifle is in and ready for me to pick it up...

I ordered it on 8/19, was told 30-45 days (4-6 weeks), and got it delivered in 6 days.

2010 GT - 5spd
post #19 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 05:45 PM
Lifer

Quote:

I ordered it on 8/19, was told 30-45 days (4-6 weeks), and got it delivered in 6 days.
Well, then go pick it up and post picts.
post #20 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-25-2010, 06:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmuskie View Post
Rock River sucks compared to Colt... I own a Rock River though. They arent bad, but not colts. This chart will help. Other "premium" guns would be noveske, jp rifles, sabre, and various other companies.

post #21 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 04:11 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:

That's really good news, was told the same (4 to 6) I ordered mine on the 24th from Tournament Chasers in Arlington. Now I'm in the market for nice scope. I haven't done much looking yet, but something with a variable power 1x to 4x, is what I'm interested in.
post #22 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 04:17 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Rock River sucks compared to Colt... I own a Rock River though. They arent bad, but not colts. This chart will help. Other "premium" guns would be noveske, jp rifles, sabre, and various other companies.
Well fourth from the bottom's not too bad, at least there are no blue number one's. BTW, I've never heard of Noveske till now, I'll check their website out.
post #23 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 05:39 AM
GROWED UP WRONG

Got into it with some guys on another forum over the ARs.
They claim http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/ to be the baddest ARs for the money, yet when I look on their site the complete rifles were $1000+, which I replied back with there were MUCH better guns out there for that money.
post #24 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 03:01 PM
Lifer

Quote:

That's some skewed shit. The Colt is a $1,300+ gun and the RRA is a $1,075 gun.

You can opt out a RRA to the same specs as the Colt for the same money, and have an equal gun.

Anyone can manipulate data to meet an agenda, and this is a great example.

And some of those options don't mean shit. Like the "Staked Castle Nut"..... Gimme a break! So taking a hammer and chisel and staking a castle nut is really an option to count on a chart??? What about the "H Buffer"??? So what if the buffer weighs a few grams more than another?
post #25 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 03:45 PM
Time Served

Quote:

You can opt out a RRA to the same specs as the Colt for the same money, and have an equal gun.

And some of those options don't mean shit. Like the "Staked Castle Nut"..... Gimme a break! So taking a hammer and chisel and staking a castle nut is really an option to count on a chart??? What about the "H Buffer"??? So what if the buffer weighs a few grams more than another?
I started to post basically this same thing, but didn't want to ruffle an feathers....But I agree with you 100%. There are more RRA rifles used at High Power matches than any Colt. Of course the "chart" doesn't show how a rifle with less mil-spec parts (RRA) is more accurate than those the do use all Mil-spec parts (Colt)...

2010 GT - 5spd
post #26 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 03:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post

post #27 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 04:01 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Not in the least. Just pointing out the stupidity of that chart.
post #28 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 04:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post
Not in the least. Just pointing out the stupidity of that chart.
post #29 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 08:26 PM
Time Served

Nooooooo not the chart. Now I'm going to lie awake in bed tonight contemplating the inadequacies of my RRA a2. Dang it. Well least the difference of what I paid for the ar, went toward my xd. Now I pray that Glock doesn't produce a chart, to bolster that argument.

"It's very dangerous to wave to people you don't know. Because what if they don't have hands? They'll think you're cocky."
post #30 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 09:31 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Quote:
Seriously dude, you REALLY need to get the collective cocks of Colt out of your mouth and quit cupping their balls with your tongue.

One could argue that if it's not an original ArmaLite (before ArmaLite sold the rights to the AR10 and AR15 to Colt in 1959), it's not an AR.

post #31 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-26-2010, 10:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOCBB View Post
Seriously dude, you REALLY need to get the collective cocks of Colt out of your mouth and quit cupping their balls with your tongue.

One could argue that if it's not an original ArmaLite (before ArmaLite sold the rights to the AR10 and AR15 to Colt in 1959), it's not an AR.
I never once implied that colt's superiority lies within it being the original AR, I see not why your statement about armalite holds any significance.

That being said, I have a Rock River. I have had it since 2007. The first time I shot it, the carrier key came loose. It has jammed many times, but been an okay gun. That being said, the Colts I have shot are exponentially better, tighter, lighter, and feel much better. In American Rifleman's comparison, the Colt's accuracy was nothing short of amazing.
post #32 of 43 (permalink) Old 08-27-2010, 04:58 AM
Lifer

Quote:
That being said, I have a Rock River. I have had it since 2007. The first time I shot it, the carrier key came loose. It has jammed many times, but been an okay gun. That being said, the Colts I have shot are exponentially better, tighter, lighter, and feel much better. In American Rifleman's comparison, the Colt's accuracy was nothing short of amazing.
No manufacturer has had 100% reliability out of the box. This is the first time I've ever heard of a RRA carrier key coming loose. I've shot literally hundreds of AR platform rifles to include Colt, RRA, Stag, CMMG, Olympic, DPMS, Spike's, LMT, and Bushmaster.

I've never once experienced any problems with ANY of them, except for recently my son's Stag lefty doesn't like extracting steel cased ammo every once in a while.

I have a circa 1991 Bushmaster that will eat ANYTHING I put in it without fail.

Does that mean Stag is shit and Bushmaster is the Alpha & Omega? No.

It just means that when you make something (anything) there can be manufacturing differences and sometimes you get a lemon.

I'm not a fan of Colt because about a decade ago during the Clinton Administration, they started making non-mil spec parts to pacify the anti-gun people. They also made non-mil spec pins so that you could not put a third party upper on their lower. No other manufacturer caved like Colt. I tried to find a link, but I'll have to ask some of the River Rats to actually find the accurate info.
post #33 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 03:48 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

My FFL called me around 6pm on Friday to tell me UPS should arrive around 7 and he would call when it showed up. Well I got the call and I scurried on up to his place, it's the whole dropping just over a thousand dollars and not having anything to show for it.

The first pic is with the tactical carry handle and I bought a Bushnell Trophy red dot sight. Later I plan to order an Aimpoint red dot sight and use the Bushnell on the Marlin 60.

I also ordered a Magpul 30 rd. magazine, 3 ladder rail panels and an aluminum trigger guard.

This is the rest of my guns.
Top to Bottom:

Marlin Model 60 .22/ with cheap Chinese scope
Remington Model 700 .308/ with Leupold scope
Remington Model 1100 12GA
Mossberg Model 500 12GA
Winchester Model 12 16GA
And of course Rock River AR 15

post #34 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 05:22 PM
Time Served

I'll like my BCM. They are not as popular as say Colt or RRA, but they make a great rifle.

99 Light Pewter Metallic FRC Corvette,TSP 5.3 heads, TSP 229/231 .623/.617 110.5 cam, FAST 92/NW 92 TB, LGMotorsports Longtubes, Corsa Pace Car cat back, Vararam and LS7 clutch.
post #35 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 07:25 PM
Lifer

Awesome choice, very nice rifle. Have fun with it.

- Benjamin Franklin

www.blowoutcongress.com
post #36 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 09:48 PM
Rolling with the homies

Very nice, not bad for a first AR. Buy my mags and ammo!

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #37 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow06 View Post
Awesome choice, very nice rifle. Have fun with it.
Thank you sir.
post #38 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil jose View Post
Very nice, not bad for a first AR.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil jose View Post
Buy my mags and ammo!
Who is the ammo manufacturer? Is it brass or steel and how much (price and quantity)?

I just paid 100.00 for 200 rounds of Monarch at Academy, so I'm looking to buy others left over ammo.
post #39 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 10:35 PM
Rolling with the homies

That's to much dude. Depends on what you are wanting to do with the ammo. Most gun ranges won't allow FMJ so you have to buy SP or HP. Buy it in bulk from any of the big online ammo stores. If you can't afford the ammo go half with somebody to make it more affordable to buy in bulk. Enjoy the gun man, I need to take mine up to a range sometime soon.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #40 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-05-2010, 11:24 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Yeah I know it was expensive, but I wanted to shoot the AR some time this weekend. So rather than wait till I got some shipped in bulk, I bought locally. I'm interested in the .223 ammo you have for sale. BTW, SP and HP, is that soft point and hard point?
post #41 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 02:40 AM
Time Served

I think that is Soft Point and Hollow Point.

.مايك كيرشنر ، المسافر من العالم

08 Ford F250 FX4
07 Yamaha 700R

07 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
08 Harley Night Rod Special
post #42 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-06-2010, 08:53 PM
Time Served

I bought an M&P15 for $800 at Academy then mailed in the $100 rebate. It'll serve it's purpose.

2000 Camaro SS
09 G8 GXP
post #43 of 43 (permalink) Old 09-07-2010, 12:45 PM
Time Served

LMT Defender FTW

SC300 5spd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement