Scope ring help - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 03:03 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Scope ring help

I am about to buy a Remington 700 SPS tactical in .308. I already have a scope:
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/47639

After doing a search, I think I am going to go with Talley 1-pc scope rings, but I am a little lost. There are several listed on their website and I don’t know which ones to go with.

Talley’s website: http://www.talleymanufacturing.com/c...egory_recnum=6

Extra low, Low, medium, high, extra high, extended, etc.

I assume the higher it goes the longer the distance. I have no plans to hunt with the gun, at all. I only plan to shoot targets and this will be my first “long range” gun. This will also be my first gun with a scope, so I really appreciate any help or comments.

I also seen a few posts (when I was doing my search) that referenced getting it (the scope?) bedded? Is this recommended from the start? Do I have to take it to a gunsmith? I read on here that gunsmiths have a ridiculous waiting time and I was hoping to shoot it while I was home on vacation from Afghanistan in October.

-Mike

.مايك كيرشنر ، المسافر من العالم

08 Ford F250 FX4
07 Yamaha 700R

07 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
08 Harley Night Rod Special
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 05:36 AM
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike K25 View Post

After doing a search, I think I am going to go with Talley 1-pc scope rings, but I am a little lost. There are several listed on their website and I don’t know which ones to go with.

I assume the higher it goes the longer the distance. I have no plans to hunt with the gun, at all. I only plan to shoot targets and this will be my first “long range” gun. This will also be my first gun with a scope, so I really appreciate any help or comments.

I also seen a few posts (when I was doing my search) that referenced getting it (the scope?) bedded? Is this recommended from the start? Do I have to take it to a gunsmith? I read on here that gunsmiths have a ridiculous waiting time and I was hoping to shoot it while I was home on vacation from Afghanistan in October.

-Mike
The ring height is for the scope you buy. If you buy a MONSTER with a 70mm lense, you'll need high rings so the scope will not hit your barrel. If you buy 40mm to 50mm you'll need either low or medium..

FYI: I'd recommend the Leupold one piece base with leupold rings. They mount great, and you can adjust your initial windage by the scope mount base.

(For ranges, you adjust the dope on the scope. It doesn't matter how high the scope is. 90% of the time, you'll only need medium high rings).

2006 Mustang GT
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 07:09 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotua View Post
The ring height is for the scope you buy. If you buy a MONSTER with a 70mm lense, you'll need high rings so the scope will not hit your barrel. If you buy 40mm to 50mm you'll need either low or medium..

FYI: I'd recommend the Leupold one piece base with leupold rings. They mount great, and you can adjust your initial windage by the scope mount base.

(For ranges, you adjust the dope on the scope. It doesn't matter how high the scope is. 90% of the time, you'll only need medium high rings).
You want the rings that will put the scope as close to the barrel (bullet trajectory) as possible.

I'm not sure what Dacota means by adjusting initial windage by a one piece mount, it has been my experience that a one piece mount is more desireable because it is more solid than a two piece mount.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 07:22 AM
Lifer

Quote:

-Mike
I have the exact same gun and I was looking at the Talley one piece base/rings too. I figure the less screws to come loose the better. Check out SWFA, they seem to have good prices and I know they have the Talley's you are looking for.

Post up pics when you get it all mounted.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 07:51 AM
Old Fart

Ring height has 2 main issues. Fitting the scope where the objective bell doesn't touch the barrel, and shooter's comfort.

Some target shooters go with extra high rings depending on your shooting style.

Talley has a great reputation. I usually buy Burris or Leupold as they are great bang for buck.

You might want to look into 20, 30 oven 40 MOA angled mounts for shooting long distance. This will can the scope so you can have the scope within it's adjustment at the longer distances.

"Don't taze me, bro."
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 08:35 AM
GROWED UP WRONG

Ring height has more to do with shooter comfort then anything. Unless you go with some ridiculous monster objective most all heights will fit.
You want the ocular to be level with your sighting eye with your cheek on the cheek rest of the stock.

And I second the Talley one piece. I run those or the Dednutz on most my rifles.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 09:32 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Thanks for the help everyone! So is this what I want? I thought one piece meant it was one whole piece (base and rings)?
http://swfa.com/Talley-Lightweight-A...unt-P2798.aspx

This is for the medium. I figured the middle was a good starting point.

Height:
Front .500
Rear .610

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow06 View Post
I have the exact same gun and I was looking at the Talley one piece base/rings too. I figure the less screws to come loose the better. Check out SWFA, they seem to have good prices and I know they have the Talley's you are looking for.

Post up pics when you get it all mounted.
Thanks, I will check out SWFA.

How do you like the Harris bipod (if I remember right your gun had one). If you were to do it again, would you stick with a bipod or would you use a bag when shooting at the range?

I’ll post plenty of pictures when I get home; I will have bought plenty of new toys. I would also love to do a nice shooting GTG, but I will cross that bridge when I get there.

08 Ford F250 FX4
07 Yamaha 700R

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 09:41 AM
Lifer

We need more info before making some good suggestions.

What caliber are you shooting, and what distance are you looking at. There isn't much of anything (ranges) over 200 yards in the metroplex, and even fewer 1000 yard ranges within a hundred miles.

IMHO, if you are going to be shooting at 300-500 yards and in, I don't think you need staggered bases.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 09:49 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post
We need more info before making some good suggestions.

What caliber are you shooting, and what distance are you looking at. There isn't much of anything (ranges) over 200 yards in the metroplex, and even fewer 1000 yard ranges within a hundred miles.

IMHO, if you are going to be shooting at 300-500 yards and in, I don't think you need staggered bases.
.308 and most likely ~100 yards, but would like to go longer. You already mentioned the lack of longer range ranges. So yes, I will probably be sticking to <500 yards.

Going by Talley’s website, all of their products have a rear base that is .110” taller than the front. My next question was going to be “at what point do you need 20, 30, etc MOA mounts?”

08 Ford F250 FX4
07 Yamaha 700R

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 09:57 AM
Slingin rock on da corner

Quote:

-Mike
Sorta off topic, but I am eyeballing a rifle over here.

It started life as a Remington 700 Varmint (the one with the 26" barrel) and then someone put the normal Tactical stock on it. I can get it for $520 plus tax, which comes to $562.90.

Does that sound like a good deal? I've been thinkin seriously about picking it up for a long range project.

Remember, some people are alive simply because it is illegal to kill them.

God Bless our Troops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Prez
my excuse is i dont give a fuck...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMCev View Post
sass me again and see what happens...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yale View Post
I knew you were a titty hating fag the moment I met you.

2007 Harley Davidson Street Bob
2003 King Ranch F-150
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 10:08 AM
Lifer

Quote:
.308 and most likely ~100 yards, but would like to go longer. You already mentioned the lack of longer range ranges. So yes, I will probably be sticking to <500 yards.

Going by Talley’s website, all of their products have a rear base that is .110” taller than the front. My next question was going to be “at what point do you need 20, 30, etc MOA mounts?”
1 MOA = 1" at 100 yards. So, a 20 MOA would equal 100" rise at 500 yards. At 500 yards, a 168 gn HPBT match bullet has a -51" drop.

That tells me to stay away from any rise at distances under 500 yards.

Again, JMHO.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 10:29 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Thanks for the help everyone! So is this what I want? I thought one piece meant it was one whole piece (base and rings)?
http://swfa.com/Talley-Lightweight-A...unt-P2798.aspx

This is for the medium. I figured the middle was a good starting point.

Height:
Front .500
Rear .610

Thanks, I will check out SWFA.

How do you like the Harris bipod (if I remember right your gun had one). If you were to do it again, would you stick with a bipod or would you use a bag when shooting at the range?

I’ll post plenty of pictures when I get home; I will have bought plenty of new toys. I would also love to do a nice shooting GTG, but I will cross that bridge when I get there.
Those are the Talley rings I was talking about. It never crossed my mind but you were thinking the front and back would be connected? Pretty sure when people refer to "one piece" base and rings they are talking about what you pictured, one piece one the front one piece on the back, although the phrase may be misleading.

I think I like the bipod more for prone shooting or out at the deer lease and bags/block rest at the range, but I haven't had any problems with either.

The bipod tends to bounce all over the table on me at the range. That may very well be my fault, I am still relatively new and trying to find and learn good practices.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."

- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTexas_V-Star View Post
Sorta off topic, but I am eyeballing a rifle over here.

It started life as a Remington 700 Varmint (the one with the 26" barrel) and then someone put the normal Tactical stock on it. I can get it for $520 plus tax, which comes to $562.90.

Does that sound like a good deal? I've been thinkin seriously about picking it up for a long range project.
You're out of my league... I am too new to this to be giving used gun pricing advice I hope somebody else can help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post
1 MOA = 1" at 100 yards. So, a 20 MOA would equal 100" rise at 500 yards. At 500 yards, a 168 gn HPBT match bullet has a -51" drop.

That tells me to stay away from any rise at distances under 500 yards.

Again, JMHO.
Alright, sounds good. I am guessing that Talley is out of the question because I can't find any rings that are level. Like I said, they are all staggered. I am also not sure what a .110" difference in the mounts converts into MOA.

One more obstacle I have run into: what is the difference between long action and short action. I did a search on Google and it looks like the Rem 700 .308 is a short action?

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow06 View Post
Those are the Talley rings I was talking about. It never crossed my mind but you were thinking the front and back would be connected? Pretty sure when people refer to "one piece" base and rings they are talking about what you pictured, one piece one the front one piece on the back, although the phrase may be misleading.
I understand now. They just had a picture on their website that showed everything as one piece (both front and rear).

Quote:
I think I like the bipod more for prone shooting or out at the deer lease and bags/block rest at the range, but I haven't had any problems with either.

The bipod tends to bounce all over the table on me at the range. That may very well be my fault, I am still relatively new and trying to find and learn good practices.
Thanks for the info.

08 Ford F250 FX4
07 Yamaha 700R

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 12:09 PM
Lifer

Quote:
You're out of my league... I am too new to this to be giving used gun pricing advice I hope somebody else can help you.

Alright, sounds good. I am guessing that Talley is out of the question because I can't find any rings that are level. Like I said, they are all staggered. I am also not sure what a .110" difference in the mounts converts into MOA.

One more obstacle I have run into: what is the difference between long action and short action. I did a search on Google and it looks like the Rem 700 .308 is a short action?

I understand now. They just had a picture on their website that showed everything as one piece (both front and rear).
I just looked and saw that, it had the name Encore if you are looking for that one. That is even better than the others, but it may not fit a Remy 700 because of the way the bottom of the base may interfere with ejection, but I don't know for sure.

- Benjamin Franklin

www.blowoutcongress.com
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 08-10-2010, 08:53 AM
Lifer

If you want the cream of the crop scope mounting systems, try this:

http://nightforceoptics.com/nightfor...___mounts.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement