AR-15 Education Please - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

AR-15 Education Please

So with all the AR talk and I just bought a new safe I think I'm in the market for an AR. I need the Dummies version please!

Build or Buy?
I know Acadamey has the M&P for about $950.
What about the Ruger? I think I like it and they have the .22 version my son would love when he get a little older.

Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 06:50 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

build. I have 500 in my cmmg/aero precision 20 inch. The upper is almost that much by itself.
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 07:11 PM
Lifer

I just built a couple of good ARs for under $750 ea.

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 07:16 PM
Banned

Building is fun and cost effective, but for resale a factory gun is usually a bit better.

Lots of good free info on the net, check out ar15.com. The militant neckbeards on there will tell you everything you want to know.
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 08:45 PM
Lifer

You have a PM.

Like they said above look at AR-15.com for info and also in the classifieds they have complete rifles for sale, used can be a lot cheaper.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 09:39 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow06 View Post
You have a PM.

Like they said above look at AR-15.com for info and also in the classifieds they have complete rifles for sale, used can be a lot cheaper.
X2 on ar15.com, but as far as the used rifles for cheaper im not so sure about that anymore. Been seeing a lot of used rifles with some cheap gadgetry on them for more that what you could buy brand new. Just be patient, shop around, do your research. when the time comes there's plenty of AR stuff available these days when you make your choice which ever direction you may go.

1957 Chevy Belair
1953 M38A1

post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-04-2010, 10:54 PM
Time Served

You can get an Olympic and some DPMS models for under $700 for what it's worth. However you can probably build one to your specs for around the same price as well.

It just all depends on what you're looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt
Meh...I dunno why she likes it. It's like she put it on a pedestal because it is the gravy of life.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 06:36 AM
African Booty Scratcher

i built mine just for the knowledge, and it turned out to actually be quite fun.

god bless.

You don't have to earn my respect, you have to earn my disrespect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Standing in a cell with tears running down your face and blood down your legs is no way to protest.
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 07:47 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

I prefer build all of my AR's...but that's just me. I don't like leaving anything stock...and AR's are no different. Of course, I have the proper tools for rifle assembly here which helps. That said, they are easy to modify, and some of the DPMS models can be had in the 675 range pretty easilily...not much of an Olympic fan here.

It's really up to you. What kind of features are you looking for. Are you looking for something with some add ons like a quad rail, etc? So many variables to factor in. Most off the shelf guns including rails overcharge for the rail included and you're better off getting an aftermarket one from one of several manufacturers...again it all depends on the features/length/planned accessories desired.

As for the M&P for a grand...for that $$ I'd definitely build my own because for that, you can throw together a pretty sick AR. That's enough $$ to get an off the shelf 308 DPMS AR

'93 Hatch

www.billet-works.com
Innovating CNC Machined Products
www.billetworkstactical.com
Developing AR Parts and Hookin Up Friends with Guns and Accessories
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Thanks for all the help. There is an overwelming amount of choices and options.
So I am considering the M&P for $1200 from SAW ammo and weapons.
open sights. 6 position stock. top and front rail. case. 2 mags and 5 mare mags with the rebait.
post #11 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 08:26 AM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almoststock View Post
open sights. 6 position stock. top and front rail. case. 2 mags and 5 mare mags with the rebait.
That's too much. You are paying more just because it is a S&W.

Go to a gun show and pick up a stripped lower, LPK, buttstock of your choosing. Then head to the Model 1 Sales table and pick up a complete upper from them in whatever configuration you want. I guarantee that you will have a better optioned rifle for considerably less than $1200. Use the money that's left to buy some ammo.

post #12 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 08:41 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOCBB View Post
That's too much. You are paying more just because it is a S&W.

Go to a gun show and pick up a stripped lower, LPK, buttstock of your choosing. Then head to the Model 1 Sales table and pick up a complete upper from them in whatever configuration you want. I guarantee that you will have a better optioned rifle for considerably less than $1200. Use the money that's left to buy some ammo.
Man I am dumb to this subject.
what is LPK?
I know a lot of stuff is the name and price. For example for $1000 the DPMS stuff has a lot of options but are they depindable when comaparing?
post #13 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 08:43 AM
African Booty Scratcher

lpk= lower parts kit. $1200 is too much, you will start modding it once you get one anyway.

god bless.

You don't have to earn my respect, you have to earn my disrespect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Standing in a cell with tears running down your face and blood down your legs is no way to protest.
post #14 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 09:01 AM
Lifer

$1200 for your first is way too much. Buy a stripped lower, LPK, stock option(al), assembled upper from Model 1 = DONE for way less than $1200 and you will have a better appreciation for it and understand how it actually works.

I built several bare bones no frills 16.5" AR15s with 6 position stocks and fixed A2 carry handles for less than $600.

The lower assembly is easy and there are plenty of us guys with BRD (black rifle desease) that can walk you through the process or let you come over and build it with you.

If you wanna go this route PM me and I can help you.

Last edited by sonic93; 08-05-2010 at 09:08 AM.
post #15 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 09:32 AM
Lifer

Almoststock = SEB?
post #16 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic93 View Post
$1200 for your first is way too much. Buy a stripped lower, LPK, stock option(al), assembled upper from Model 1 = DONE for way less than $1200 and you will have a better appreciation for it and understand how it actually works.

I built several bare bones no frills 16.5" AR15s with 6 position stocks and fixed A2 carry handles for less than $600.

The lower assembly is easy and there are plenty of us guys with BRD (black rifle desease) that can walk you through the process or let you come over and build it with you.

If you wanna go this route PM me and I can help you.
Thats great, thanks. I would like to know more about how the rifle works.
post #17 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post
Almoststock = SEB?
Not sure what you are talking about?
post #18 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-05-2010, 01:01 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Not sure what you are talking about?
Quote:
Quote:
Man I am dumb to this subject.
what is LPK?
I know a lot of stuff is the name and price. For example for $1000 the DPMS stuff has a lot of options but are they depindable when comaparing?
Sorry, it was just a joke. You have to realize that I'm old and grumpy. I get aggravated when people butcher the language.

If you are set on paying more than you have to, then do it. You can save some bucks doing it yourself, there are more than enough videos online to show you exactly how it is done.

If you ever used Legos or put together a puzzle, you can build your own lower.
post #19 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 08:11 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post
Sorry, it was just a joke. You have to realize that I'm old and grumpy. I get aggravated when people butcher the language.

If you are set on paying more than you have to, then do it. You can save some bucks doing it yourself, there are more than enough videos online to show you exactly how it is done.

If you ever used Legos or put together a puzzle, you can build your own lower.

Its cool I just don't have time to do much of the social thing on here as you can tell by my post count and time on this board.

Was JKD the member I would see in the 93 Cobra at Kellers, I think he sold it?
I always really liked seeing that car.

Trust me I don't have to be told I have bad grammar and don't spell for crap. I have to really pay attention in work and business meetings not to look like a TOTAL Texican red neck. The only thing that saves me is I know a lot about my job and I am less of a "good oll boy" than most in the heavy truck and equipment parts / warehouse business.

Seriously thanks for the AR help! I think I am going to be patient and get out to the next gun show to start looking at parts. The shows in Mesquite are less than impressive so I will look for one a Market Hall. Maybe my brother and I will see one of you guys there.
post #20 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 10:38 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

This is basicly the upper I want to the letter.
Thought on price etc.?

http://www.stagarms.com/product_info...roducts_id=243
post #21 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 10:46 AM
Lifer

That seems like a a bit much for just an upper but it is not outrageous by any means. I have heard Stag is good quality but I don't own one myself.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."

- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com

Last edited by slow06; 08-06-2010 at 10:51 AM.
post #22 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 10:57 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
That seems like a a bit much for just an upper but it is not outrageous by any means. I have heard Stag is good quality but I don't own one myself.
That is a great price!
I have had good feed back from others in line on the stag arms parts.
This is basicly the lower I want. Then I could just add a rail mount bi pod and with out shipping I'm a just over $900 in for the exact set up I was looking for with out optic.
Hog hunting will be coming soon !

http://www.stagarms.com/product_info...roducts_id=235
post #23 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 12:07 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

If you buy smart, you can build a plinker ar for under 500.
post #24 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 12:38 PM
Lifer

Quote:
That is a great price!
This is basicly the lower I want. Then I could just add a rail mount bi pod and with out shipping I'm a just over $900 in for the exact set up I was looking for with out optic.

You asked for comments about the price...

That is more than my entire rifle costs and I haven't had any problems yet. To each his own but $700 for an Upper Half is not a good deal.

- Benjamin Franklin

www.blowoutcongress.com
post #25 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:

That is more than my entire rifle costs and I haven't had any problems yet. To each his own but $700 for an Upper Half is not a good deal.
OK cool.
Any other brands I should look at?
post #26 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 01:02 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Quote:
That is a great price!

Quote:

I bought a stripped Stag lower receiver for my current AR for around $120 back in 2007. I ordered a rifle kit from Del-ton for around $500 shipped which included a complete upper with the BCG (bolt carrier group), LPK, and buttstock. The only other thing I needed was a magazine (or 100) and a rear sight. I paid $50-60 for the Magpul rear sight from Brownells. For around $700 I have a complete AR with little to no options. It really is a SHTF build, so it's not supposed to be pretty.

post #27 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 01:23 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I bought a stripped Stag lower receiver for my current AR for around $120 back in 2007. I ordered a rifle kit from Del-ton for around $500 shipped which included a complete upper with the BCG (bolt carrier group), LPK, and buttstock. The only other thing I needed was a magazine (or 100) and a rear sight. I paid $50-60 for the Magpul rear sight from Brownells. For around $700 I have a complete AR with little to no options. It really is a SHTF build, so it's not supposed to be pretty.
I looked up a Del-Ton Kit for him, adding an M4 Upper reciever, Chrome Line Barrel and Quad rail adds a few bucks but is still a little cheaper. It would not have the rear sight he would get with the Stag. I get the impression he wants to stick with Stag though.

If you are going to get a bipod, get a Harris. http://www.harrisbipods.com/

Do you know what kind of optics are going to put on there? Scope, Red Dot, Holo sight?

- Benjamin Franklin

www.blowoutcongress.com
post #28 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 01:35 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Quote:
I looked up a Del-Ton Kit for him, adding an M4 Upper reciever, Chrome Line Barrel and Quad rail adds a few bucks but is still a little cheaper. It would not have the rear sight he would get with the Stag. I get the impression he wants to stick with Stag though.

Do you know what kind of optics are going to put on there? Scope, Red Dot, Holo sight?
If he buys a complete Stag rifle, he will get a lifetime warranty.

post #29 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:

I am open to any idea.
I am just thinking quality for the price. Accurat is a must since I want to do some hog hunting with this rifle. Im sure there are guys on here that are a much better shot than I am but my BS test for my self is to set a 12GA sheel on a table at 100 yards and shoot threw the primer and leave the outer shell intact with my Winchester Model 70 BB .243.
I hate a fire arm that has a jam of any sort. I like the idea of some sort of built so I have an understanding of how to fix it if it comes up.
Thanks for the info on the bipod. Im taking a look at them now.
post #30 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Those bipods are nice. I like the option of the sling being on the bipod and not having to work around it!
post #31 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 05:54 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
If you buy smart, you can build a plinker ar for under 500.
Can you expand on this? Been shopping for entry level basic AR, back and forth on the build v buy, and even trying to build it I think the best I have come out is near $700 with the build option, and about $650 to buy a new doublestar. Though arfcom seems to think the DS is poop.

Pretty confident I could assemble the lower, but assembling the upper myself is a little daunting.

The guy at the gun store kept trying to talk me into $900 colts and bushmasters.

All I want is a car style KISS AR. Right now I am leaning to buying new, either the DS for $650 or the Spikes for $750. Probably will have spent that much if I build after I get tools too.

Been reading so much the last few weeks its getting confusing lol.

Jon

CLICK for Kate's Story
Click to Listen

WTB - SIG Mosquito

post #32 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 06:03 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvereight View Post
Can you expand on this? Been shopping for entry level basic AR, back and forth on the build v buy, and even trying to build it I think the best I have come out is near $700 with the build option, and about $650 to buy a new doublestar. Though arfcom seems to think the DS is poop.

Pretty confident I could assemble the lower, but assembling the upper myself is a little daunting.

The guy at the gun store kept trying to talk me into $900 colts and bushmasters.

All I want is a car style KISS AR. Right now I am leaning to buying new, either the DS for $650 or the Spikes for $750. Probably will have spent that much if I build after I get tools too.

buy used parts and you can do it. Or you can gather your parts over a period of time and wait for the best price on everything.

post #33 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 07:18 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvereight View Post

Putting an upper together from scratch is easy but requires some special tools....which I have...
post #34 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 07:38 PM
Lifer

Quote:
OK cool.
Any other brands I should look at?
Model 1 Sales is a local company that sells inexpensive AR parts, I liken them to Del-Ton as far a price. A couple of guys on here like them but I haven't used them myself.

Quote:
If he buys a complete Stag rifle, he will get a lifetime warranty.
True, but it looks like he still wants to build one at this point. I know Del-Ton has a warranty on their complete uppers (not sure exactly the extent of it, but I know they have one.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco71 View Post
Putting an upper together from scratch is easy but requires some special tools....which I have...
Would love to learn to do that. Don't want to hijack the thread but how much do you have invested in the tools?

- Benjamin Franklin

www.blowoutcongress.com
post #35 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-08-2010, 09:56 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

If the OP wants the easiest way out, Cheaper than Dirt in McKinney will have S&W M&P15s on sale for $799 from August 12-15 during their grand opening.

post #36 of 36 (permalink) Old 08-09-2010, 09:56 AM
Lifer

Quote:
This is basicly the upper I want to the letter.
Thought on price etc.?

http://www.stagarms.com/product_info...roducts_id=243
Stag is good stuff.

Here's the same upper for $659 from Legal Transfers:

http://ar15sa.fatcow.com/store/page2.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement