Diamondback DB380 review - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Diamondback DB380 review

Hopefully this will help someone out.

If you're looking for a .380 pocket pistol, keep looking. This one is a lemon.

To start. The pistol design is a lot like a Glock. Take down is even the same. It feels more substantial than a LCP or the likes, feels good in the hand, and has decent sized usable sights.

I went to break it in and tried 4 different brands of shells and had issues with them all. The pistol just will not feed. Out of 2 hours of "shooting". More like trying to shoot I became an expert at unjamming the pistol. I got through one magazine within that time that didn't have a feeding or ejecting issue. It averaged having an issue every 2-3 rounds. In comparison, my wife's LCP ate all the same ammo w/out a hiccup.

The shop I bought it from tried polishing the ramp and began to experience a FTF issue I did as well. It'll cock, you pull the trigger and it goes click, but fails to hit the primer. You recock and its about a 50/50 chance if it'll actually shoot.

Luckily the shop stands behind their product and is working to make it right. They have also pulled their stock of DB380's and are returning them.

2000 Camaro SS
09 G8 GXP

Last edited by MARSS; 07-25-2010 at 11:08 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 12:40 PM
GROWED UP WRONG

Never heard of it but after looking at them I would try and get it resolved before Glock sues them and they shut the doors...
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 04:13 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

Your first mistake was buying a .380...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-25-2010, 09:48 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

I saw one a little while back at a gun store and it was higher priced than the LCR, Keltec, and Taurus and has not been proven. A company's first adventure with a gun? No thanks. First gens are normally iffy, first guns no way.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Is_My_El_Camino View Post
Your first mistake was buying a .380...
Let me guess, not enough stopping power? I can guarantee that IF I ever have to pull it, the other person involved most likely won't be thinking, "Thats just a .380, it doesn't have stopping power". I know I wouldn't give a rats ass if it was a .22. I don't care to be shot either way.

I'll bet it would be as much as a deterrant as the XD40 I also carry in most cases. Not every event where a CHL holder draws their weapon is shooting involved and a very small margin involve the drug crazed person that people think they need the stopping power for.

I'd rather have a small pistol always on me instead of something larger periodicly in the summer, or left in the car. Plus it doubles as a backup when I am carrying the XD.

2000 Camaro SS
09 G8 GXP

Last edited by MARSS; 07-26-2010 at 06:34 AM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 06:37 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by no4njnk View Post
I saw one a little while back at a gun store and it was higher priced than the LCR, Keltec, and Taurus and has not been proven. A company's first adventure with a gun? No thanks. First gens are normally iffy, first guns no way.

It was only about $30 more where i was. Fit and finish was much better than the others too. One of those "you can't judge a book by it's cover" moments.

I agree on the first run. Thats usually my stand, but I read great reviews and got the nudge to go ahead and get it from my wife so I went against my better judgement. Like I said, the shop is standing behind it so I'm only out time and some rounds.

2000 Camaro SS
09 G8 GXP
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 07:58 AM
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSS View Post
Let me guess, not enough stopping power? I can guarantee that IF I ever have to pull it, the other person involved most likely won't be thinking, "Thats just a .380, it doesn't have stopping power". I know I wouldn't give a rats ass if it was a .22. I don't care to be shot either way.

I'll bet it would be as much as a deterrant as the XD40 I also carry in most cases. Not every event where a CHL holder draws their weapon is shooting involved and a very small margin involve the drug crazed person that people think they need the stopping power for.

I'd rather have a small pistol always on me instead of something larger periodicly in the summer, or left in the car. Plus it doubles as a backup when I am carrying the XD.
I have no problems carrying my Glock 27 with me ALL THE TIME so the argument about using this gun as a backup when you cannot carry your main weapon is moot (at least for me). What size XD do you have? I would think if your current XD is to big to carry concealed all the time you either need to get a smaller XD or get a better holster that allows you to carry comfortable all the time.

In regards to the caliber, I wouldn't personally trust a .380 ACP but that's just me. Again it's a moot point because I can carry a .40 S&W all the time. I'd also never choose to buy a weapon that hadn't been thoroughly tested and reviewed. I've never heard of Diamondback and would have never bought one. Just because it looks like a Glock doesn't mean it will perform like one. Best of luck with your situation.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 09:34 AM
Slingin rock on da corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil jose View Post
I have no problems carrying my Glock 27 with me ALL THE TIME so the argument about using this gun as a backup when you cannot carry your main weapon is moot (at least for me). What size XD do you have? I would think if your current XD is to big to carry concealed all the time you either need to get a smaller XD or get a better holster that allows you to carry comfortable all the time.

In regards to the caliber, I wouldn't personally trust a .380 ACP but that's just me. Again it's a moot point because I can carry a .40 S&W all the time. I'd also never choose to buy a weapon that hadn't been thoroughly tested and reviewed. I've never heard of Diamondback and would have never bought one. Just because it looks like a Glock doesn't mean it will perform like one. Best of luck with your situation.
I agree. I carry a 4" 1911 every day; not what one would call a dainty pistol. Before this one, it was another 4" 1911, and before that it was a 4" XD .45. Before that it was a 4" M&P 9mm.

I carry slightly larger guns than some because, firstly, I can. They are not uncomfortable, and this is coming from someone that is outside, walking around with customers, and climbing in/out and on/off of equipment all through out the day.

Remember, some people are alive simply because it is illegal to kill them.

God Bless our Troops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Prez
my excuse is i dont give a fuck...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMCev View Post
sass me again and see what happens...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yale View Post
I knew you were a titty hating fag the moment I met you.

2007 Harley Davidson Street Bob
2003 King Ranch F-150
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 04:56 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSS View Post
It's also very rare that you would ever even have a need for a concealed handgun, yet you carry. Just because it's unlikely isn't enough of a reason for me not to be prepared for it.

Quote:
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

I've had a Glock 27 and now carry an XD40 SC in a horse hide super tuck. Sound good enough?

I just prefer something lighter and smaller that I can carry in a pocket when I'll be in and out of the car a lot (I dont care what holster you have, the gun being pushed into your side from seat bolsters isn't comfortable after a while) or on hotter than hell days when I'll be out in the heat. I just don't like sweating all over my firearm if I don't have to. I think its funny how people knock small calibers. If a person is getting shot at, you don't care what size the slug is, what the muzzle velocity is, or the penetration power. Unless we're talking zombies here. If the .380 isn't enough I still have my knife and the ability to run. You don't have to stand there as a drug crazed maniac attacks, you know.

2000 Camaro SS
09 G8 GXP
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 07-26-2010, 08:38 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

I wouldn't dare knock small calibers. I carry a Model 60, in .357 Magnum, in my pocket daily. I just knock underpowered cartridges.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement