Just sent out for my nonresident Virginia CHL - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
GAP
Carpe Burrito

Just sent out for my nonresident Virginia CHL

I just sent out the paperwork today. Hopefully it wont take very long to get back, and I filled it all out properly. In total, it only cost me $165 and I didn't waste an entire Saturday in a class. The renewal is cheaper too. If you have a hunter education card (which I dont) you can use that as your proof of training. It would only cost you $100 to the Virginia Police and $10 to get fingerprinted at your local PD. Something to think about for us guys who dont have enough time or foresight to schedule a class because of work.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 09:46 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Maybe I'm talking out of my ass here, but I don't think Texas should recognize an out of state license if the holder has a TX DL.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
GAP
Carpe Burrito

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOCBB View Post
Maybe I'm talking out of my ass here, but I don't think Texas should recognize an out of state license if the holder has a TX DL.
Yeah. I don't quite understand the logic myself, but I'll take advantage of it.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 09:57 AM
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAP View Post
Yeah. I don't quite understand the logic myself, but I'll take advantage of it.
More and MORE states are NOT honoring NON-Resident Licenses.

Example, if you have a Texas Drivers License and a Florida CHL, there are states that WILL NOT honor the florida CHL and you go to jail if you are carring. If you have a Texas DL and a Texas CHL, all the repric states honor the CHL.

Just go get the Texas CHL and be safe.

2006 Mustang GT
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
GAP
Carpe Burrito

You just have to make sure you have reciprocity in the states you're traveling before you embark anyways. You should do that even if you have a Texas CHL. As long as Virginia covers TX, NM, and OK, it works great for me.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 10:23 AM
GROWED UP WRONG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotua View Post
More and MORE states are NOT honoring NON-Resident Licenses.

Example, if you have a Texas Drivers License and a Florida CHL, there are states that WILL NOT honor the florida CHL and you go to jail if you are carring. If you have a Texas DL and a Texas CHL, all the repric states honor the CHL.

Just go get the Texas CHL and be safe.
Yep, my thoughts as well.
You save a whopping $80 by doing it this way. Will cost you more then that if you get the one rookie cop that does not understand, or does not give a shit about out of State CHLs and your TX DL. Not saying you will get convicted but will cost you a lot more then $80 and an afternoon to beat it....

On top of that you can not use your out of state CHL to purchase guns in Texas and bypass the NICS.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 03:38 PM
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAP View Post
You just have to make sure you have reciprocity in the states you're traveling before you embark anyways. You should do that even if you have a Texas CHL. As long as Virginia covers TX, NM, and OK, it works great for me.
New Mexico doesn't have a written reciprocity agreement with Virginia's CHL. They do have one with Texas. So technically a New Mexico cop can arrest you and file charges of unlawful carry of a weapon if you just have a Virginia's CHL.

New Mexico no longer recognizes CHL's from Utah also.

Get a Texas CHL.

ON Viriginia's CHL Website, they state :

Listing of states with which Virginia has mutual recognition (Jurisdictions have informally agreed to honor permits issued by the other):
Arizona
Arkansas
Delaware
Louisiana
Michigan
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
New Mexico
North Dakota
Oklahoma
Utah
Wyoming

Texas isn't on their list anymore..... So something may have changed and perhaps because Viriginia did something to their rules, Texas may NOT honor a Virigina's CHL. (You'll have to call Texas Department of Public Safety and make sure that your non resident permit will be recognized in Texas.)

2006 Mustang GT

Last edited by Dacotua; 07-24-2010 at 03:44 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 03:42 PM
que?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped54 View Post
Yep, my thoughts as well.
You save a whopping $80 by doing it this way. Will cost you more then that if you get the one rookie cop that does not understand, or does not give a shit about out of State CHLs and your TX DL. Not saying you will get convicted but will cost you a lot more then $80 and an afternoon to beat it....

On top of that you can not use your out of state CHL to purchase guns in Texas and bypass the NICS.
yup. i kept telling my dad the same things but he just doesn't wanna listen
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
GAP
Carpe Burrito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotua View Post
New Mexico doesn't have a written reciprocity agreement with Virginia's CHL. They do have one with Texas. So technically a New Mexico cop can arrest you and file charges of unlawful carry of a weapon if you just have a Virginia's CHL.

New Mexico no longer recognizes CHL's from Utah also.

Get a Texas CHL.

ON Viriginia's CHL Website, they state :

Listing of states with which Virginia has mutual recognition (Jurisdictions have informally agreed to honor permits issued by the other):
Arizona
Arkansas
Delaware
Louisiana
Michigan
Missouri
Montana
Nebraska
New Mexico
North Dakota
Oklahoma
Utah
Wyoming

Texas isn't on their list anymore..... So something may have changed and perhaps because Viriginia did something to their rules, Texas may NOT honor a Virigina's CHL. (You'll have to call Texas Department of Public Safety and make sure that your non resident permit will be recognized in Texas.)

Texas has a written, formal agreement with Virginia. Those are states with informal agreements. And as of at least right now, OK and NM do have have reciprocity with VA. At least from everything I can find.

I wont carry in those states without calling the local DPS first though.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 04:32 PM
Lifer

I dont know why anyone would do that. It seems like more confusion than what I would want. Who knows how the officer will react to it. He may be ignorant of these "written" or special conditions and you could be waiting for a judge in a cell to explain. Is the money and few hours saved really worth the possible hassle?

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-24-2010, 05:02 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

http://handgunlaw.us/states/virginia.pdf

http://handgunlaw.us/states/texas.pdf

EDIT: Not sure how accurate these are anymore. I thought the requirement to inform an officer was removed in the 2009 legislative session.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 06:33 AM
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 f0 lyfe!

Not sure how accurate this is:

http://www.carryconcealed.net/

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-28-2010, 07:06 AM
Rolling with the homies

So let me get this right, you are a Texas resident and you applied for a Virginia CHL so that you can save money and not have to take the class? I don't know but it sounds like you are asking for trouble.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

Sponsored Links
Advertisement