restraining order prohibiting me from buying firearm.. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 07:48 AM Thread Starter
Time Served

restraining order prohibiting me from buying firearm..

A couple a years back ago in the slums of CA I had a restraining order put on me for 3years, Till 2011 and it prohibited me from buying any type of firearm at the time and till 2011. Well now since I dont live in that shithole CA I was wondering if it will affect me out here? I was told the only way to find out is to go try and purchase a firearm, but is there any other way i can check before I attempt to buy one?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 08:41 AM
GROWED UP WRONG

post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 09:09 AM
Hired Hand

I would think that it depends on the specifics of the restraining order, and whether you have a Texas DL or not. If it's a federal order then you're SOL until 2011, but if it's a state order you're probably good to go, as state laws and regs are specific to that state. Call an FFL like Chopped recommended, and find out for sure.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 10:12 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosoe View Post
A couple a years back ago in the slums of CA I had a restraining order put on me for 3years, Till 2011 and it prohibited me from buying any type of firearm at the time and till 2011. Well now since I dont live in that shithole CA I was wondering if it will affect me out here? I was told the only way to find out is to go try and purchase a firearm, but is there any other way i can check before I attempt to buy one?
Do you still have a copy of that order? If so, I'd like to read it and see exactly how it prohibits you from buying a firearm.

I'm not familiar with restraining orders prohibiting firearms, but protective orders commonly do. A restraining order is civil, while a protective order is read to the respondant by a judge and is criminally enforceable.

Protecitive orders are valid from state to state, so no matter where you are, they are in effect.

I would NOT test the waters by trying to buy a firearm. It could (and would) be used against you if it ever came up.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 10:16 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post
Do you still have a copy of that order? If so, I'd like to read it and see exactly how it prohibits you from buying a firearm.

I'm not familiar with restraining orders prohibiting firearms, but protective orders commonly do. A restraining order is civil, while a protective order is read to the respondant by a judge and is criminally enforceable.

Protecitive orders are valid from state to state, so no matter where you are, they are in effect.

I would NOT test the waters by trying to buy a firearm. It could (and would) be used against you if it ever came up.
Did you notice he said it was from California? I might have wondered the same thing you did if it had been almost any other state. I am not surprised at anything a judge from CA does.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

If you like the IRS, DMV and the Post Office, you will love Obamacare!

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 10:36 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Did you notice he said it was from California? I might have wondered the same thing you did if it had been almost any other state. I am not surprised at anything a judge from CA does.
Everybody hates on Cali (with good reason) when it comes to gun rights, but in my resrearch in regards to travelling with a firearm, I've come to learn that New York is actually a bit worse in that regard. You can't even fly in for a weekend shoot, as only residents with a license are allowed to possess a firearm.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 10:51 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
Everybody hates on Cali (with good reason) when it comes to gun rights, but in my resrearch in regards to travelling with a firearm, I've come to learn that New York is actually a bit worse in that regard. You can't even fly in for a weekend shoot, as only residents with a license are allowed to possess a firearm.
Yeah, that's probably true.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

If you like the IRS, DMV and the Post Office, you will love Obamacare!

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 01:19 PM

the future is not looking bright for the chick who filed the restraining order...
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 01:29 PM
Time Served

Quote:
A couple a years back ago ... I had a restraining order ... untill ... 3years, Till 2011 ...
So in 2008 you couldnt control yourself enough too not to stay away or you assaulted someone and now 2 years latter you've supposedly gained some manner of self control.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 01:46 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Exactly. Page 27 on this pdf (page 22 on the paperwork) covers both. It also specifies that they "honor" orders from other states, though I don't know for a fact that Texas is reciprocative as well.

http://ag.ca.gov/firearms/forms/pdf/Cfl2007.pdf‏

The good thing I found out, is that it's no longer required to retreat if possible, so long as I fear for your safety. Not quite the castle doctrine, but not as nazi-fied as I had first thought. It's also legal for me to have my guns in my apartment without having to register them, though if I want to go the the range, I most definitely need to.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 08:41 PM
Time Served

Quote:
I didn't know that about NY. I have driven from Dallas to Harlem and carried a SIG in a IWB holster the whole time I was there. There is no way in hell I am getting on a subway with out a gun and an ASP.

Rule#2 Double Tap
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 08:55 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

My ex walked into the court house filed a restraining order on me saying i was beating her, that she had proof from prior times and what not. Court day came along & none of those charges where added since she lied, from what i can remember to me it seemed like just a reg ole restraining order. but the judge did tell me in court session that if i had any firearms to turn them in and also it will prohibit me from buying any till the date is due. i dont have the court orders since i lost them on the trip here..I will have to follow up on the link posted above and verify 115% and what exactly is FFl??. If it dont apply out here and im good to go ill be putting my hands on an M&P 9mm...and a nice Remington 700 in a .308
Thanks for the info fellas...
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 09:14 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo855 View Post
I didn't know that about NY. I have driven from Dallas to Harlem and carried a SIG in a IWB holster the whole time I was there. There is no way in hell I am getting on a subway with out a gun and an ASP.
I carried my S&W .357 Magnum on my trip to NY City. I drove in, but I carried it everywhere I went.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 09:17 PM
Lifer

Quote:
My ex walked into the court house filed a restraining order on me saying i was beating her, that she had proof from prior times and what not. Court day came along & none of those charges where added since she lied, from what i can remember to me it seemed like just a reg ole restraining order. but the judge did tell me in court session that if i had any firearms to turn them in and also it will prohibit me from buying any till the date is due. i dont have the court orders since i lost them on the trip here..I will have to follow up on the link posted above and verify 115% and what exactly is FFl??. If it dont apply out here and im good to go ill be putting my hands on an M&P 9mm...and a nice Remington 700 in a .308
Thanks for the info fellas...
If you were specifically told by a judge that you couldn't purchase any firearms, I wouldn't test the water.

You need to contact the court and get a copy of what you were served with. It will specify what you can and cannot do. This is not negotiable, it needs to be done.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post
If you were specifically told by a judge that you couldn't purchase any firearms, I wouldn't test the water.

You need to contact the court and get a copy of what you were served with. It will specify what you can and cannot do. This is not negotiable, it needs to be done.
right, I was thinking of calling the court as well, but trying to get a hold of a court clerk for the L.A County Municipal Court is a PITA..talking about being put on hold....
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 10:12 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo855 View Post
If you aren't a resident with a gun permit, it's unlawful for you to possess a firearm unloaded in your trunk, much less loaded and concealed on your person. What they don't know won't hurt you, but if they see, find, or print it, you WILL be arrested.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 10:16 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
right, I was thinking of calling the court as well, but trying to get a hold of a court clerk for the L.A County Municipal Court is a PITA..talking about being put on hold....
Once you do find that out, you also need to find out if the state of Texas "honors" court orders of that type from other states. I would assume yes, but I don't know that for a fact.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 07-23-2010, 04:36 AM
Lifer

Quote:
If you aren't a resident with a gun permit, it's unlawful for you to possess a firearm unloaded in your trunk, much less loaded and concealed on your person. What they don't know won't hurt you, but if they see, find, or print it, you WILL be arrested.
You forget about the peace officer exemption.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement