What caliber 1911? - DFWstangs Forums
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Hired Hand
 
Big A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 36,166
What caliber 1911?

I'll be in Texas here in a few days, and I think I'm about ready to pull the trigger on purchasing a 1911 (so to speak) while I'm there. I originally wanted a .45, but now I'm considering getting a 9mm to be able to share ammo with my Glock. Is that flawed reasoning, or a good idea? How is .45 ammo priced as compared to 9mm? It's been a while since I have bought any.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
Big A is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 03:35 PM
Banned
 
DOHCTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Waco
Posts: 5,539
Im a purist. I like my 1911s to shoot .45.

Plenty of cheap parts, mags, etc for .45 guns.
DOHCTR is offline  
post #3 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 03:39 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS
 
Geor!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: HERE WE GO!!!
Posts: 18,685
Having two 9mms would be pointless to me. I would go with the .45 or possibly .40.

Geor! is offline  
 
post #4 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 03:39 PM
Slingin rock on da corner
 
NTexas_V-Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sherman TX
Posts: 3,451
For myself, I agree with DOHCTR, I like .45.

However, my other handguns are also .45, so I completely agree with the logic of going 9mm to consolidate ammo.

The way I see it, you can't go wrong either way.


Also, 9mm is more affordable than .45acp so that's another bonus.

Remember, some people are alive simply because it is illegal to kill them.


God Bless our Troops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Prez
my excuse is i dont give a fuck...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMCev View Post
sass me again and see what happens...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yale View Post
I knew you were a titty hating fag the moment I met you.

2007 Harley Davidson Street Bob
2003 King Ranch F-150
NTexas_V-Star is offline  
post #5 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 03:39 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,087
9mm is cheaper than .45. Not necessarily more or less available.

IMO
.45 over 9mm - Knockdown power, Mags easier to find, parts easier to find as 95% of 1911's are .45
9mm over .45 - cheaper to shoot, more rounds per clip (in same frame size)
mustang_revival is offline  
post #6 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 03:41 PM
PAN
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Under a rock
Posts: 20,154
Isn't 9mm really too high a velocity to be an effective pistol round? Isn't that why so many LEOs are getting away from it?


Get a .45 or a .40!
Fox466 is offline  
post #7 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Hired Hand
 
Big A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 36,166
Unfortunately out here in Cali it will be relegated to an "investment" and target pistol, rather than a defense weapon, so stopping power isn't necessarily a concern. THat having been said, what about the long-term values of the two calibers over time? I would guess that .45 would be more sought after, but then htat also makes the 9mm more "rare" if there is such a thing. I am talking about Kimber and the like btw, not a standard duty pistol.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
Big A is offline  
post #8 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 03:48 PM
Banned
 
DOHCTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Waco
Posts: 5,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_revival View Post
9mm over .45 - cheaper to shoot, more rounds per clip
1911s use clips now?
DOHCTR is offline  
post #9 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 03:55 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET
 
HOOCBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DFW MUSTANGS . NET
Posts: 3,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCTR View Post
1911s use clips now?
lmao

and I vote .45, but only because that's what mine will be in a couple weeks. I have 2 9mms already, I don't want another and I don't care for the .40 S&W round.

HOOCBB is offline  
post #10 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 03:57 PM
que?
 
grove rat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 21,662
why be like everyone else aaron and have a .45 1911??

be a man and carry a 10mm colt delta elite

grove rat is offline  
post #11 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 04:00 PM
Lifer
 
Trip McNeely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 29,396
10mm or .45

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

Trip McNeely is offline  
post #12 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 04:03 PM
I Я Invizabul
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Candyland
Posts: 4,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by grove rat View Post
why be like everyone else aaron and have a .45 1911??

be a man and carry a 10mm colt delta elite

If they made a commander 10mm I would be all over it.
Pokulski-Blatz is offline  
post #13 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 04:07 PM
Lifer
 
Trip McNeely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 29,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
If they made a commander 10mm I would be all over it.
I would hate to feel the recoil on one though.

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

Trip McNeely is offline  
post #14 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 04:10 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCTR View Post
1911s use clips now?
ya ya .. why don't you go to the range and spend another $100.00 in 30 seconds.. hehe
mustang_revival is offline  
post #15 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 04:20 PM
GROWED UP WRONG
 
Chopped54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: The Box Babies Come In
Posts: 7,413
.45
Chopped54 is offline  
post #16 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 04:20 PM
Banned
 
DOHCTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Waco
Posts: 5,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_revival View Post
ya ya .. why don't you go to the range and spend another $100.00 in 30 seconds.. hehe
Because right now I have no money
DOHCTR is offline  
post #17 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 05:00 PM
#4 Best QB Ever
 
That_Is_My_El_Camino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Land of the Free
Posts: 29,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by grove rat View Post
why be like everyone else aaron and have a .45 1911??

be a man and carry a 10mm colt delta elite

Kimber makes a pretty nice 10mm 1911, and Dan Wesson and Springfield, too. I would actually take the Colt, then the Dan Wesson, and then the Kimber, and then the Springfield, in that order. Not to say the Springfield isn't a nice gun, because it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip McNeely View Post
10mm or .45
This.


Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
That_Is_My_El_Camino is offline  
post #18 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Hired Hand
 
Big A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 36,166
Maybe I'll go with the 10mm to stay metric.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
Big A is offline  
post #19 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 05:33 PM
dead
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 14,611
i like .45
momo stallion is offline  
post #20 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 05:51 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: smithville
Posts: 1,993
um .45 "only" in a 1911.

RON PAUL '08
fast83 is offline  
post #21 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 06:39 PM
GROWED UP WRONG
 
Chopped54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: The Box Babies Come In
Posts: 7,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
Maybe I'll go with the 10mm to stay metric.
Or go with 10mm if you like mail ordering ammo.....
Chopped54 is offline  
post #22 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 06:49 PM
Pushed to the limit
 
PWTRTXSS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: In the shadow of a big mountain
Posts: 4,510
.38 Super

Buying dogs kills.
PWTRTXSS is offline  
post #23 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 06:53 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS
 
Geor!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: HERE WE GO!!!
Posts: 18,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
Maybe I'll go with the 10mm to stay metric.
Be careful. You might hurt your little hand.

Geor! is offline  
post #24 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Hired Hand
 
Big A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 36,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped54 View Post
Or go with 10mm if you like mail ordering ammo.....
Can you not mailorder .45?

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
Big A is offline  
post #25 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 09:04 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET
 
HOOCBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DFW MUSTANGS . NET
Posts: 3,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
Can you not mailorder .45?
The point he was trying to make is that 10mm is hard to find on the shelf, you would pretty much have to mail order it just to get any. .45 is a LOT more common and you have a MUCH better chance of walking into any store that carries ammo and finding it.

And yes, you can mail order .45.

HOOCBB is offline  
post #26 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 09:51 PM
GROWED UP WRONG
 
Chopped54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: The Box Babies Come In
Posts: 7,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOCBB View Post
The point he was trying to make is that 10mm is hard to find on the shelf, you would pretty much have to mail order it just to get any. .45 is a LOT more common and you have a MUCH better chance of walking into any store that carries ammo and finding it.

And yes, you can mail order .45.

It looks like we need the new HOOCBB brand, Chopped54 to Raven translator tonight....
Chopped54 is offline  
post #27 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Hired Hand
 
Big A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 36,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped54 View Post
It looks like we need the new HOOCBB brand, Chopped54 to Raven translator tonight....
lol Apparently my sarcasm meter IS broken tonight.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
Big A is offline  
post #28 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 12:32 AM
Lifer
 
ThreeFingerPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 14,894
For me personally, it would be a tough call between a 10mm and a .45. I like 9mm 1911s, but they're notoriously finicky.

For you? .45. If you can only have one 1911, then it should be a .45, especially since i know how picky you are about aesthetics. You're relatively limited on appearance in 1911s in any other caliber.

To Mike, if 9mm is "too fast", then .357 sig is WAYYYYYY too fast. It's basically a 9mm bullet in a necked down .40 case.

ThreeFingerPete is offline  
post #29 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 06:44 AM
African Booty Scratcher
 
ELVIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Uranus
Posts: 13,150
i think the .45 or the 10mm would be too much for aaron. Esp. considering the whole limp wrist thing.

i like the looks of the para"pda" i think its called. 9mm 1911

god bless.

You don't have to earn my respect, you have to earn my disrespect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Standing in a cell with tears running down your face and blood down your legs is no way to protest.
ELVIS is offline  
post #30 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 07:38 AM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET
 
HOOCBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DFW MUSTANGS . NET
Posts: 3,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped54 View Post
It looks like we need the new HOOCBB brand, Chopped54 to Raven translator tonight....
I didn't even realize it was you in the other thread. Seems like this stay in Kalifornia is taking its toll on The Raven.

HOOCBB is offline  
post #31 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 08:02 AM
Rolling with the homies
 
evil jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Oak Cliff... that's my hood...
Posts: 43,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
I'll be in Texas here in a few days, and I think I'm about ready to pull the trigger on purchasing a 1911 (so to speak) while I'm there. I originally wanted a .45, but now I'm considering getting a 9mm to be able to share ammo with my Glock. Is that flawed reasoning, or a good idea? How is .45 ammo priced as compared to 9mm? It's been a while since I have bought any.
If you are going to have just ONE 1911 than it should be in .45. Have you actually gone to a store down there that sells ammo just to compare prices between .45 and 9mm? I'd do that just to check for availability.


Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
Unfortunately out here in Cali it will be relegated to an "investment" and target pistol, rather than a defense weapon, so stopping power isn't necessarily a concern. THat having been said, what about the long-term values of the two calibers over time? I would guess that .45 would be more sought after, but then htat also makes the 9mm more "rare" if there is such a thing. I am talking about Kimber and the like btw, not a standard duty pistol.
I wouldn't consider a 9mm 1911 rare and sought after. It's not like they stopped making them and I haven't seen a 9mm 1911 commanding any higher prices just because it's a 1911.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
For me personally, it would be a tough call between a 10mm and a .45. I like 9mm 1911s, but they're notoriously finicky.

For you? .45. If you can only have one 1911, then it should be a .45, especially since i know how picky you are about aesthetics. You're relatively limited on appearance in 1911s in any other caliber.

To Mike, if 9mm is "too fast", then .357 sig is WAYYYYYY too fast. It's basically a 9mm bullet in a necked down .40 case.
Totally agree. If you can only have one 1911 than get it in .45.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
i think the .45 or the 10mm would be too much for aaron. Esp. considering the whole limp wrist thing.

i like the looks of the para"pda" i think its called. 9mm 1911

god bless.
LOL!




2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew


1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

evil jose is offline  
post #32 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 08:17 AM Thread Starter
Hired Hand
 
Big A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 36,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
For you? .45. If you can only have one 1911, then it should be a .45, especially since i know how picky you are about aesthetics. You're relatively limited on appearance in 1911s in any other caliber.
I have a Glock that shoots straight and functions just fine, so yeah, I'd like to invest in a 1911 that looks good.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis
i think the .45 or the 10mm would be too much for aaron. Esp. considering the whole limp wrist thing.

i like the looks of the para"pda" i think its called. 9mm 1911

god bless.
Fuck you.


Quote:
Originally Posted by evil jose View Post
If you are going to have just ONE 1911 than it should be in .45. Have you actually gone to a store down there that sells ammo just to compare prices between .45 and 9mm? I'd do that just to check for availability.
I haven't done that, but I should. I'm also not opposed to the whole mail oreder thing, whether it be 10mm or .45, especially if ammo is that much higher out here. If I was that concerned with cost I wouldn't be looking at Kimber, or I'd get their .22 rimfire model. heh

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil jose View Post
I wouldn't consider a 9mm 1911 rare and sought after. It's not like they stopped making them and I haven't seen a 9mm 1911 commanding any higher prices just because it's a 1911.
I didn't think so, but it was worth asking.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
Big A is offline  
post #33 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 08:32 AM
Rolling with the homies
 
evil jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Oak Cliff... that's my hood...
Posts: 43,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
I haven't done that, but I should. I'm also not opposed to the whole mail oreder thing, whether it be 10mm or .45, especially if ammo is that much higher out here. If I was that concerned with cost I wouldn't be looking at Kimber, or I'd get their .22 rimfire model. heh
Well you brought it up so just saying I mail order ammo on occasion if I'm buying in quantity and I can get a discount that makes it worth the trouble. Pistol ammo I'll just pick up a couple of boxes whenever I hit up Walmart. Walmart (at least here in Texas, take that Kalifornia!) has always been the cheapest source I've found for buying range ammo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
How is .45 ammo priced as compared to 9mm?



2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew


1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

evil jose is offline  
post #34 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 10:08 AM
Lifer
 
ThreeFingerPete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 14,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
I have a Glock that shoots straight and functions just fine, so yeah, I'd like to invest in a 1911 that looks good.

You don't shoot enough for ammo cost to make a difference, so get what you want. A 9mm 1911 would give you a sweet shooting gun making practice ever so nice.
A .45 1911 is also a great shooting gun, but costs a little more to shoot.

ThreeFingerPete is offline  
post #35 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 01:13 PM
Lifer
 
GrayStangGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Midland, TX
Posts: 1,960
"The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now." Colonel Robert J. Coates, USMC


Sounds like it should be a .45 to me.

10 F-150 Raptor
06 Corvette Z51
01 GT


One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America
GrayStangGT is offline  
post #36 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 01:23 PM
Banned
 
DOHCTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Waco
Posts: 5,539
Mhmm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1245189366968.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	99156  
DOHCTR is offline  
post #37 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 01:24 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 14,194
.45
David is offline  
post #38 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 01:44 PM
dee
Lifer
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWTRTXSS View Post
.38 Super
I have one of these and a .45, the .38 Super gets a lil attention at the range cause its pretty damn loud.
dee is offline  
post #39 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
Hired Hand
 
Big A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 36,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCTR View Post
Mhmm
I was looking at the Kimber Tactial series too (not sure what that is, I can't read it), but like Adam says, I'm looking for something "pretty and shiny."

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
Big A is offline  
post #40 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 02:12 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET
 
HOOCBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DFW MUSTANGS . NET
Posts: 3,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
I was looking at the Kimber Tactial series too (not sure what that is, I can't read it), but like Adam says, I'm looking for something "pretty and shiny."
I decided on a Stainless TLE II or an Eclipse Custom II, both in .45 ACP. Lots of options in .45 that are "pretty and shiny".

If you decide you want a 10mm Kimber that is "pretty and shiny", you are limited to a Stainless Target II or an Eclipse Custom II.

Pages 58-59 are your friend.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/downloa...10_Catalog.pdf

HOOCBB is offline  
post #41 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Hired Hand
 
Big A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 36,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOCBB View Post
I decided on a Stainless TLE II or an Eclipse Custom II, both in .45 ACP. Lots of options in .45 that are "pretty and shiny".

If you decide you want a 10mm Kimber that is "pretty and shiny", you are limited to a Stainless Target II or an Eclipse Custom II.

Pages 58-59 are your friend.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/downloa...10_Catalog.pdf
The Eclopse is already at the top of the list.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
Big A is offline  
post #42 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 02:20 PM
Lifer
 
Stangin4Lyfe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 3,482
I have a pretty nice .45 Kimber 1911 that I might get rid of.
It is a custom Tactical II.
PM me if you are interested.
Stangin4Lyfe is offline  
post #43 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 03:07 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NRH - again...
Posts: 755
Get it in .357 Magnum....Plenty of ammo and Plenty of Power and Plenty Different...

Like this one...

http://www.coonaninc.com/index.php/cPath,5

2010 GT - 5spd
Roush Extreme Cat-Back Exhaust
3.89 Gears and SCT tuner coming soon!
Future Mods: LCA's, UCA, CAI, Springs, Wheels & Tires, Cams, Blower...
2010BlackGT is offline  
post #44 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 03:27 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET
 
HOOCBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DFW MUSTANGS . NET
Posts: 3,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Raven View Post
The Eclopse is already at the top of the list.
If you find an Eclipse in stock, let me know where. I'm purchasing by the middle of August.

HOOCBB is offline  
post #45 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
Hired Hand
 
Big A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 36,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangin4Lyfe View Post
I have a pretty nice .45 Kimber 1911 that I might get rid of.
It is a custom Tactical II.
PM me if you are interested.
Please read posts 39 and 41...

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
Big A is offline  
post #46 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 03:40 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Ohio
Posts: 194


http://www.guncrafterindustries.com/

I'll never have an avatar......
TheBeastAv is offline  
post #47 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 03:43 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: NRH - again...
Posts: 755
Yeah, ammo for that wouldn't be hard to find...

2010 GT - 5spd
Roush Extreme Cat-Back Exhaust
3.89 Gears and SCT tuner coming soon!
Future Mods: LCA's, UCA, CAI, Springs, Wheels & Tires, Cams, Blower...
2010BlackGT is offline  
post #48 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 04:18 PM
que?
 
grove rat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 21,662
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeastAv View Post
yea the 10mm beats that round hands down when it comes to numbers

.50 GI
Bullet weight/type Velocity Energy
185 gr (12.0 g) SCHP 1,200 ft/s (370 m/s) 591 ft·lbf (801 J)
230 gr (15 g) SCHP 1,000 ft/s (300 m/s) 510 ft·lbf (690 J)
275 gr (17.8 g) JHP 875 ft/s (267 m/s) 468 ft·lbf (635 J)
300 gr (19 g) TMJ 700 ft/s (210 m/s) 326 ft·lbf (442 J)

10mm
Bullet weight/type Velocity Energy
150 gr (9.7 g) Nosler JHP 1,475 ft/s (450 m/s) 725 ft·lbf (983 J)
165 gr (10.7 g) Golden Saber HP 1,425 ft/s (434 m/s) 744 ft·lbf (1,009 J)
180 gr (12 g) Hornady XTP 1,350 ft/s (410 m/s) 728 ft·lbf (987 J)
200 gr (13 g) WFNGC HC 1,300 ft/s (400 m/s) 750 ft·lbf (1,020 J)
230 gr (15 g) WFNGC HC 1,120 ft/s (340 m/s) 641 ft·lbf (869 J)

the only thing the 'fiddy' has going for it is that people will hear ".50 cal" and go "ooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh"
grove rat is offline  
post #49 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 04:23 PM
Packin' up...
 
Skidmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 18,736
.45

How long are you here for? I can find you a like new setup while you're here if you wish...
Skidmark is offline  
post #50 of 94 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 04:27 PM Thread Starter
Hired Hand
 
Big A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 36,166
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmark View Post
.45

How long are you here for? I can find you a like new setup while you're here if you wish...
I'm in town Saturday the 30th through Sunday the 8th. Got all my travel docs printed up, just in case I'll be flying home with something.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
Big A is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome