Concealed-carry gun permits let holders bypass Texas Capitol's metal detectors - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Concealed-carry gun permits let holders bypass Texas Capitol's metal detectors

Hell I didn't even know that guns were allowed in the Capitol

Quote:

09:46 AM CDT on Monday, July 19, 2010

Associated Press

AUSTIN, Texas Everyone from lobbyists to lawyers and journalists is rushing to get permits to carry guns inside the Texas Capitol, where legislators already often tote pistols in boots and purses or stow them away inside their desks.

A unique loophole in a new security procedure means a gun permit is like a special-access pass into the domed building, allowing people who are certified to carry a gun to bypass lines at the metal detectors that were set up after a shooting incident earlier this year.
Also Online

"Nobody wants to be the one standing in line behind three hundred kids wearing the same colored T-shirt," said University of Texas political scientist Jim Henson. "If you're trying to get in and out really quick and there's going to be choke points, well, people don't want to have to deal with that."

There's now a frenzy for folks to get trained and licensed to carry a firearm, especially before the legislative session begins in January. It's not required that people have a gun to enter the Capitol through the express lane. Merely holding a valid permit, and presenting it at the entrance, will get them expedited entry.

"Everybody is doing it or is planning to do it," said lobbyist Bill Miller, who has taken the required training and is waiting for his license to arrive in the mail.

The metal detectors were installed at the Capitol's four public entrances in May, a few months after a man fired off a few rounds outside the doors of the main entrance. No one was harmed.

Republican Gov. Rick Perry, who is known to sometimes carry a .380 caliber pistol, vehemently objected to the metal detectors, saying he didn't want to see airport-like security logjams at a Capitol known for its open and freewheeling culture.

Texas law allows people to carry a weapon if they have a permit and as long as the gun is concealed. A separate lane for license-holders had to be created so gun-toters could enter without having to pull out their weapons - or unconceal them - along with their wallets and keys.

Guns were previously allowed in the Capitol. With the arrival of the metal detectors, permit-holders now get their licenses scanned to make sure they are in good standing and their bags are put through an X-ray scanner.

The Department of Public Safety, which tracks data on gun permits, said it's too early to tell if there has been a surge in applications. However, interviews with lobbyists, consultants, and state officials show Capitol insiders are flocking to sign up for them.

It's all been great for business, said Mike Cox, who has become the go-to guy to train political insiders on getting their gun permits.

"There's been a burst of interest. They want to get that express tag to gain entrance to the Capitol," Cox said. "It's their job. They don't want to be impeded by visitors on busy days when there's a lot of tourists."

Cox has a shooting range just south of Austin, and lobbyists and others in the political in-crowd take his 10-hour class.

The students learned about nonviolent resolution techniques, listened to harrowing 911 calls and, to demonstrate the dangers of a firearm, horrifying videos are shown that include a graphic suicide and one in which a man accidentally kills his friend. They also have to pass a written test on the course material and then must undergo a background check, pay about $260 or so in fees, and get fingerprinted.

That lawmakers would take the trouble to install magnetometers and then allow weapons inside has drawn criticism from gun-control advocates, including the Brady Washington-based Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, which called the policy "ludicrous." Some tourists also were perplexed by the new procedures.

"Where's the security come from if you can still get in with a gun?" asked Canadian tourist Clyde Ducharme, who went through the metal detectors one recent morning.

Lobbyist Michelle Wittenburg, who recently received her gun permit and has been signing up her colleagues so they can do the same, said the security at the Capitol is still strong because permit-holders aren't the ones who would pose any threat.

"If you do have a CHL (gun permit) then that shows you have gone through a background check and you've been vetted, so to speak," Wittenburg said. "I don't think those are the people that are going to cause your problems in the Capitol."

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 02:04 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

It's no big deal...just can't carry into the chambers when a session is in progress. They put the metal detectors in after that guy went crazy a few months ago.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 02:51 PM
Token Troll

It'll let you bypass the detectors at the State Fair, too.

'05 Redfire Mustang

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 07:19 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostTX View Post
Really? I did not even think of that. With the shady neighborhoods that are around there you would want to be armed.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-19-2010, 07:34 PM
UNFUCKWITHABLE

One of my exes is a lobbiest in Austin. This is one of the main reasons she got her CHL. When going back and forth and working on time sensitive deals they simply don't have time to wait in metal detector lines. Hell, her boss basically required it and also paid for it.

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 02:09 PM
Got Lateral G's??

Quote:

Hmm, I have been meaning to go back and read up on this subject because I was recently told I can't carry a gun to a race track because it is considered an "amusement park"...

From my memory of the class... No schools, no churches, no hospitals and no courts, no 51%+ retail areas and nowhere showing a VALID 30.06 sign.

No where do I remember places like six flags or race tracks or amusement BS....

Basically, this owner thinks that a picture of a gun with a circle/line around it means you can't carry. I beg to differ but not really pushing the issue. If I ain't showing it, he won't know I have it. I carry in plenty of places I probably shouldn't without incident because I don't create one.....but I just hate dipshits preaching law when they don't have a leg to stand on. Maybe he does but I don't think so.

edit: found that it IS prohibited to carry to a racetrack. WTF? i guess I will just conceal it more....

Looking for sponsorships for 2010 on the car above... PM for details and schedule.

I'm a mod motor GOD! LOL!

Last edited by aggie97; 07-21-2010 at 02:20 PM.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 02:23 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggie97 View Post
Hmm, I have been meaning to go back and read up on this subject because I was recently told I can't carry a gun to a race track because it is considered an "amusement park"...

From my memory of the class... No schools, no churches, no hospitals and no courts, no 51%+ retail areas and nowhere showing a VALID 30.06 sign.

Basically, this owner thinks that a picture of a gun with a circle/line around it means you can't carry. I beg to differ but not really pushing the issue. If I ain't showing it, he won't know I have it. I carry in plenty of places I probably shouldn't without incident because I don't create one.....but I just hate dipshits preaching law when they don't have a leg to stand on. Maybe he does but I don't think so.

edit: found that it IS prohibited to carry to a racetrack. WTF? i guess I will just conceal it more....
I thought it states that you can't have it on the premises of a racetrack; dog or horse. I'm guessing because of the betting. I wonder if that just means those two... ?? I'm sure someone will post the actual law in a second...

03 Mach1
02 Sierra
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-21-2010, 03:38 PM
Lifer

Quote:

If I remember correctly Hospitals have to post 30.06

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 06:51 AM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Are you sure about that? I've heard that you could not. Have you personally walked into the State Fair and bypassed the metal detectors because you had a CHL? If so I might have to go to the fair this year

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 07:01 AM
que?

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil jose View Post
Are you sure about that? I've heard that you could not. Have you personally walked into the State Fair and bypassed the metal detectors because you had a CHL? If so I might have to go to the fair this year
i know for a fact you can jose because i carried in twice last year. there was a DPD standing near the metal detectors and i just walked up to him and said hello and handed him my DL and CHL. he looked at them and said have a good day and pointed for me to go around the detectors
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally Posted by grove rat View Post
i know for a fact you can jose because i carried in twice last year. there was a DPD standing near the metal detectors and i just walked up to him and said hello and handed him my DL and CHL. he looked at them and said have a good day and pointed for me to go around the detectors
Kick ass! I'm going to the fair this year

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 07:24 AM
Time Served

Pretty sure the racetrack clause is due to the gambling.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 07:28 AM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow06 View Post
If I remember correctly Hospitals have to post 30.06
as do churches...if they so choose.

post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-22-2010, 09:38 PM
Token Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by grove rat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil jose View Post
Kick ass! I'm going to the fair this year
Yup. They don't post 30.06 and it doesn't qualify as an amusement park because its not open more than 120 days of the year.

'05 Redfire Mustang

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement