ar15 build questions. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

ar15 build questions.

As a result of all of the recommendations, I'm going to build an ar15. I have several questions about it.

1. Spikes tactical has a stripped lower available for $99. I contacted a ffl that they have on file and they said they will receive it for ~$30. I've seen other ffl rates so that seems fair. My question is: they didn't ask me for any of my information. They just said to list them as the ffl and then pay and get everything once it's received by them. Is is pretty typical for a ffl to not take any info from you?

2. The dealer that will be receiving the lower told me they have a beaver creek lower for $140. Is it worth it to wait and save the $10 on the spikes tactical lower?

3. I skimmed through a thread on here talking about ar15 builds and trublu mentioned needing some special tools. Is there a place where I can buy all of the tools in a bundle?

4. I see a lot of people saying they've built ar15's for less than $700. The least expensive upper I have seen is $595. Can quality completed uppers be found for less expensive than that?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 01:30 PM
<Insert Title Here>

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 01:33 PM
Packin' up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustin View Post
As a result of all of the recommendations, I'm going to build an ar15. I have several questions about it.

1. Spikes tactical has a stripped lower available for $99. I contacted a ffl that they have on file and they said they will receive it for ~$30. I've seen other ffl rates so that seems fair. My question is: they didn't ask me for any of my information. They just said to list them as the ffl and then pay and get everything once it's received by them. Is is pretty typical for a ffl to not take any info from you?

Keep in mind that you will need a parts kit as well. Price the kits and price a complete lower to compare prices.

$30 bucks is kind of the higher end of the price. Google FFL and your city and call around. A non-CHL holder could probably find a FFL for 15-20 bucks, but if they're close to you, may be worth it.

You purchase the lower, they ship to your FFL you chose, you complete a federal background check at the FFL, pay the FFL fee, and walk out with your new toy.

2. The dealer that will be receiving the lower told me they have a beaver creek lower for $140. Is it worth it to wait and save the $10 on the spikes tactical lower?

I'm not sure. A lot of folks were buying DelTon products on the board from what I saw. http://www.del-ton.com/

3. I skimmed through a thread on here talking about ar15 builds and trublu mentioned needing some special tools. Is there a place where I can buy all of the tools in a bundle?

I've never assembled from scratch, but I believe you need a tool to input the barrel onto the upper. I'm sure someone on the board local to you could help you out on that. The folks in the firearms section are pretty cool!

4. I see a lot of people saying they've built ar15's for less than $700. The least expensive upper I have seen is $595. Can quality completed uppers be found for less expensive than that?
Yep - check out model 1 too, I forgot about them. Here's the basic basic upper...

http://www.model1sales.com/index.cfm...ategory_id=277

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
That's cool, thanks. Is a lower a lower? Am I going to regret not spending more for one?

post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 01:47 PM
You never go full retard

Quote:
That's cool, thanks. Is a lower a lower? Am I going to regret not spending more for one?
From what I've read, Yes.

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMan View Post
From what I've read, Yes.
I guess I should've broken it up. Yes a lower is a lower or yes I'm going to regret not spending more for one?

post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 01:54 PM
You never go full retard

Quote:
I guess I should've broken it up. Yes a lower is a lower or yes I'm going to regret not spending more for one?
Yes a lower is a lower, you may find some that are painted or finished a little different than others but they all function the same. From what I've read there's no point in shelling out that much for a lower.

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 02:40 PM
Lifer

Quote:

$30 for a FFL transfer is rape. You will fill out a Form 4473 (ATF form) when you pick up your lower from the FFL. He will run your info. They will accept anything, because you've already paid for it (including shipping). If you don't pass the background, then they hold onto the lower (for free) until you do.

Don't buy the Beaver Creek for $140. That's rape too.

Check out MGS (Military Gun Supply) or Cheaper Than Dirt for the tools. They probably have them.

Check out this link for tools:

http://www.ar15armory.com/forums/Too...ng-t19779.html

Quality uppers:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=7&f=22
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 02:43 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Yes a lower is a lower, you may find some that are painted or finished a little different than others but they all function the same. From what I've read there's no point in shelling out that much for a lower.
Pretty much.

From what used to be true, there are only 4 or so companies that machine lowers.

Lewis Machine and Tool is supposed to be the premier machinist.

The machine companies just machine them and put "Spike's Tactical" or "Anvil Arms" or whatever logo the vendor wants.

So, only a few companies actually "make" lowers.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 02:46 PM
Lifer

Our friend Google says:

Yankee Hill Machine
Lewis Machine and Tool
Mega Machine Shop
JD Machine Tech

I think LMT (Lewis) makes them for Rock River.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 03:18 PM
Lifer

Model one usually has about the best price on uppers....best to go to gun show to get one from them but I believe the next Dallas show they will be at is Market Hall the end of August. Don't know if they will be at the Frisco show the end of this month...
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 03:43 PM
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco71 View Post
Model one usually has about the best price on uppers....best to go to gun show to get one from them but I believe the next Dallas show they will be at is Market Hall the end of August. Don't know if they will be at the Frisco show the end of this month...
Frisco has a gun show?

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 03:59 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Frisco has a gun show?
First one! July 31-August 1
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 04:00 PM
You never go full retard

Quote:
First one! July 31-August 1
Ooooh... right at pay day too

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 04:03 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Ooooh... right at pay day too
Dr. Pepper arena, put on by Original Ft. W. gun shows.

Allen has one mid August, don't know sponsor; Plano had one a couple weeks ago.

Big Town is this weekend, Model One is sometimes there....
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 04:10 PM
You never go full retard

Quote:

Well WTF, I thought the only ones around here were Ft. Worth, Big Town, and Dallas.

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 04:13 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Well WTF, I thought the only ones around here were Ft. Worth, Big Town, and Dallas.
http://www.aubreyturner.org/gunshows/
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 04:15 PM
You never go full retard

Quote:
Fuuuuuuck.... Nearly a gun show a month, I'm going to be broke.

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 04:32 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Fuuuuuuck.... Nearly a gun show a month, I'm going to be broke.
Pay us our monies, bitches!!!
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 05:53 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Quote:

From what I hear, Frisco has put a lot of restrictions on this show, which may be why it's only on the calendar once. The restrictions I heard about are no private sales and no ammo sales.

post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 04:15 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOCBB View Post
From what I hear, Frisco has put a lot of restrictions on this show, which may be why it's only on the calendar once. The restrictions I heard about are no private sales and no ammo sales.
*At Frisco gun show*

Dude1 - "Hey man, nice piece, is it available?"

Dude2 - "Sure, meet me over at the 7-11 parking lot"

Dude 1 and 2 meet across the street and make transaction....

Screw that BS "rule".
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 05:47 AM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post
*At Frisco gun show*

Dude1 - "Hey man, nice piece, is it available?"

Dude2 - "Sure, meet me over at the 7-11 parking lot"

Dude 1 and 2 meet across the street and make transaction....

Screw that BS "rule".
Yeah, but the ammo is what really pisses me off. It just means that the vendors that have nothing but ammo will not be there.

post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-16-2010, 08:11 AM
Lifer

Quote:

AIM surplus had that some lower on sale for $69 yesterday, If they still have some I would get it there.

$100 is about "average" on a lower, $140 for this one is too much.

I built out my first lower with a hammer and some pliers, nothing fancy. My next one I will invest in a roll pin holder, I scraped up my lower trying to get those bastards in. Unless you plan on building multiple rifles I would suggest trying to borrow someones. I'm hoping to get one for my next two lowers, you are welcome to use it if would save you some hassle.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=7...LL_PIN_HOLDERS

Del-Ton and Model one sales have uppers in the mid 400's. I have a Del-Ton upper on my spikes lower , they have been a great match so far.
EDIT: Lowers still Available!!!! http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1STSLGEN1

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com

Last edited by slow06; 07-16-2010 at 08:18 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement