Cowboy Shotgun Question - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Cowboy Shotgun Question

At the gun show several years ago I bought one of these "Coach" shot guns. It is just a short barreled side by side double barrel shot gun. They are usually cheap and italian made. Anyway there was a guy there who sold cowboy action guns and some of these shotguns. When you first get the cheap ones they are really tight and this guy said he could loosen it up for me if I wanted, I forget what he charged.

Anyway all that lead up was to ask: Does anyone know how they loosen these shotguns up? I suspect you could put an abrasive like jewlers rouge in the action and just work it but then you have exposed metal that can rust.

Thanks in advance.

2005 Mustang GT Convertible
2003 100th Anniversary Harley Davidson Road King Classic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 07:21 PM
dee
Lifer

Just shoot it alot.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 10:35 AM
African Booty Scratcher

open and close it. a lot.

god bless.

You don't have to earn my respect, you have to earn my disrespect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Standing in a cell with tears running down your face and blood down your legs is no way to protest.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 11:59 AM
Time Served

Throw some dirt on it, then...

Quote:
open and close it. a lot.
Then

Quote:
Just shoot it alot.

2010 GT - 5spd
Roush Extreme Cat-Back Exhaust
3.89 Gears and SCT tuner coming soon!
Future Mods: LCA's, UCA, CAI, Springs, Wheels & Tires, Cams, Blower...
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 12:32 PM
Time Served

You want the action to be fairly tight. Tight action = consistent point of impact. As the action loosens up, your shots will drift. A tight action means everything in a break open rifle. However, it is not nearly as important in shotguns. You are shooting a wide pattern and short distances. A sloppy action can cause the POI to drift a couple of inches at 100yds. Not a big deal with a shotgun.

Most of the time, the stiffness is the hinge pin. Try this:

Lay the shotgun on its side and put a couple of drops of synthentic oil on the pin. I like Mobil 1. Open and close the action a bunch to allow the oil to work into the pin joints. Do this everyday for a couple of weeks. Do the same thing to the injection plunger.

Caution!!!! You don't want to oil soak the wood forearm. Take it of and use oil sparingly, only a couple of drops.

Never use WD40 on a firearm.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 02:51 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Why is that? Nothing wrong with WD40. If I caught in the rain and my gun gets wet, first thing I do when I get back is hose it down with WD40, then do a normal clean on it and wipe it down with some oil...

2010 GT - 5spd
Roush Extreme Cat-Back Exhaust
3.89 Gears and SCT tuner coming soon!
Future Mods: LCA's, UCA, CAI, Springs, Wheels & Tires, Cams, Blower...
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by JESmith View Post
You want the action to be fairly tight. Tight action = consistent point of impact. As the action loosens up, your shots will drift. A tight action means everything in a break open rifle. However, it is not nearly as important in shotguns. You are shooting a wide pattern and short distances. A sloppy action can cause the POI to drift a couple of inches at 100yds. Not a big deal with a shotgun.

Most of the time, the stiffness is the hinge pin. Try this:

Lay the shotgun on its side and put a couple of drops of synthentic oil on the pin. I like Mobil 1. Open and close the action a bunch to allow the oil to work into the pin joints. Do this everyday for a couple of weeks. Do the same thing to the injection plunger.

Caution!!!! You don't want to oil soak the wood forearm. Take it of and use oil sparingly, only a couple of drops.

Not looking for serious accuracy here because it wont be used at any distance and I really want the action to fall open by its own weight.

I think just shooting it or opening and closing it would take too long and do the same thing as a abrasive just take forever.

What about polishing compound and then reblueing the metal??? Anyone know if that would work?

2005 Mustang GT Convertible
2003 100th Anniversary Harley Davidson Road King Classic
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 04:02 PM
GROWED UP WRONG

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010BlackGT View Post
Why is that? Nothing wrong with WD40. If I caught in the rain and my gun gets wet, first thing I do when I get back is hose it down with WD40, then do a normal clean on it and wipe it down with some oil...
WD-40 will actually gum up and make the gun dirtier if you don't clean it off. It can also neutralize primers and will take the finish off of wood.....

CLP Break Free should do the trick.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement