Gun Cases - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
duh...duh....duh

Gun Cases

So, the search was not working so well this morning. Manually checked out the last 100 days and did not see any topics on this... (cases)

I'm about to buy one of these from somewhere and wanted opinions or alternatives that others may use...

http://www.pelican.com/cases_detail.php?Case=1750

...Pelican we all know and being prior military it is a good brand IMO. However, I know there maybe better bangs for the buck out there, but hell if I can find them.

Anyone have any experience with that particular case? I'm buying a more expensive case since...

1. When I travel for hunting the airlines destroy my cheaper cases.
2. I wanted a single GOOD case for carrying 2 rifles and smaller, misc things
3. Wheels are nice
4. Waterproof is nicer

I'm mainly looking forward to hearing alternatives and related experiences with these types of cases.

Take care!

My '03 Sold.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 06:55 AM
Every day is.............

No personal experience but looks to be a very nice case.

David
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 07:28 AM
老师

Have a friend with that case. He loves it. He has used it to carry his ar 15 and multiple pistols while traveling on a plane, and it has a few scratches on it to prove it's been through some abuse and has held up really well.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neiladin View Post
Have a friend with that case. He loves it. He has used it to carry his ar 15 and multiple pistols while traveling on a plane, and it has a few scratches on it to prove it's been through some abuse and has held up really well.
Makes sense, when I was enlisted and a DoD contractor - they never stayed pretty but they always held up.

My '03 Sold.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 08:37 AM
Lifer

I have a few Pelicans from their 1750 a 1710 and two more smaller gear cases that I have brutalized in travel in Afg. They hold up like a champ and keep my gear secure and safe.

Check out the thread on AR15.com about cutting the foam. I have all the stuff to make my foam cutter just no time to lay it all out and set it up.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic93 View Post
I have a few Pelicans from their 1750 a 1710 and two more smaller gear cases that I have brutalized in travel in Afg. They hold up like a champ and keep my gear secure and safe.

Check out the thread on AR15.com about cutting the foam. I have all the stuff to make my foam cutter just no time to lay it all out and set it up.
Question on the foam cutting. Can you just leave it as is and be okay? I want to use the one 1750 to carry different things as needed and cutouts probably would not work well. Is that an issue?

My '03 Sold.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 10:58 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic93 View Post

This one?

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.htm...=292695&light=

Copy and pasted, click on the link for pics:

Quote:

Many folks ask me how I cut my case foam.

I follow the "6 P's"

Prior
Preparation
Prevents
Piss
Poor
Performance

In other words; the hard work comes before cutting.

Razors and electric carving knives are crude...I've used hot wires to cut foam for years. Unfortunately, a handheld hot wire cutter is difficult to keep straight, and 90 degrees to the surface. So I designed the unit shown here. Works Great!

Essentially, it's a 24" x 24" piece of particle board, supported on some 2" x 2" lumber, with a hole drilled in the center to run some florists wire through, connected to a support arm. I modified a Wonder Cutter to handle my electronics.

The cutter can be easily made for under $50....Google "Hot Wire Foam Cutter", and you'll get many instructions on how to build one yourself.

__________________________________________________ __________________________

EDIT 3/7/08

I recently replaced my battery stack with a household light-dimmer switch and a 25 volt, 2 amp transformer I got from RadioShack. I also got some Ni-Chrome wire instead of the steel florists wire...works great!!

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

So here's the Prep:

First:
Trace the item you want in the foam with a Sharpie onto posterboard, or card stock.

Err on the "inside" to make a tighter fit.

Next:
Clean-up your lines. Use a straight-edge to make everything parallel.

Then:
Cut out your shape, and tack it to the foam. This will allow you to visualize placement of multiple objects. If you're adding multiples...Plan, plan plan. Layout everything before you cut. Make sure it's what you want. You can get creative with your layout at this point.

Then:
Plunge a "pilot hole" with a box cutter.

Next:
Feed the wire through the pilot hole.

Then:
Turn on the cutter and slowly work your way all the way, around the template, like a jigsaw. Ending at the pilot hole.

Next:
Remove the template and the plug. Keep the template for future projects.

Then:
Cross-cut the plug to match the item's height. Re-insert the remaining plug into the hole.

Finally:
Assemble, and case the hardware.

Good luck, and enjoy.

Just take your time...It'll work out great.

Mark

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-13-2010, 11:46 AM
Lifer

Pelican makes an awesome product, if you want the best protection for your guns its the way to go.

10 F-150 Raptor
06 Corvette Z51
01 GT

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
duh...duh....duh

So, I've read a bunch and can't seem to find a direct answer. I can email Pelican, but thought I would ask here.

I see the 1750 has a few different configurations.
-no foam
-The pointy foam stuff
-The pick n pluck stuff
-The standard 3 layer foam

What I'm wondering is with the standard foam, do you HAVE to cut it? I don't mind but I'm buying this case to carry whatever it is I may want to carry from one time to the next and do not really want to pigeon hole myself with cutouts if I don't have to.

I'm set on the 1750 for sure now, but was just curious about that portion and if anyone had any input on how it works without cutting the foam. Admittedly it looks cool with the cutouts, I just don't want them.

My '03 Sold.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 07:01 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ceyko View Post
So, I've read a bunch and can't seem to find a direct answer. I can email Pelican, but thought I would ask here.

I see the 1750 has a few different configurations.
-no foam
-The pointy foam stuff
-The pick n pluck stuff
-The standard 3 layer foam

What I'm wondering is with the standard foam, do you HAVE to cut it? I don't mind but I'm buying this case to carry whatever it is I may want to carry from one time to the next and do not really want to pigeon hole myself with cutouts if I don't have to.

I'm set on the 1750 for sure now, but was just curious about that portion and if anyone had any input on how it works without cutting the foam. Admittedly it looks cool with the cutouts, I just don't want them.
If you need it to carry different items I would go with the egg crate "pointy" stuff.

With the 3 layer stuff I am guessing if you couldn't just throw it in there you could take out a layer and maybe cut it into blocks or something that you could use to snug up items and move around as you needed to. Might not be extremely sturdy though, hence the egg crate suggestion.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 07:03 AM
Lifer

You can NOT cut the foam if you desire. The case may be tough to shut but it will shut as the foam gives more and more depending on the item's thickness inside. The foam will become printed and deformed after long usage but I see no problems. Get the standard 3 foam set ups. You can also always get the foam by itself it you choose to cut one and keep the other intact.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 07:37 AM Thread Starter
duh...duh....duh

Thanks all for the input on that one, helped me quite a bit. I noticed the foam replacement was 100 bucks by itself and did not want to screw that one up. It would SEEM that the 3 layer foam is the best of the 3 - but I was worried about it being versatile enough. Good stuff to know. Thanks!

Here...

My '03 Sold.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 08:21 AM
GROWED UP WRONG

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 12:28 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped54 View Post
They're basically the same thing. The storm cases are slightly lighter, manufactured by the same folks since Pelican bought Hardigg. You can't go wrong with either one.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 12:39 PM
GROWED UP WRONG

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeFingerPete View Post
They're basically the same thing. The storm cases are slightly lighter, manufactured by the same folks since Pelican bought Hardigg. You can't go wrong with either one.
They are similar, but I have always preferred Storm.
I cant speak for the after aquisition, the Storms I own were from 2006 and before, BUT I could tell a big difference in quality.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 01:47 PM
Lifer

Well done Sir.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 07-14-2010, 02:50 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

I use a pelican case and have beat the crap out of it for years...it is well worth the price. Look on craigslist for some good deals as well.

06 Evo MR *toy*
89 LX 5.0 *toy*
2010 Kia Soul *wifes car*
00 GS400 *daily driver/toy...*
03 BMW 745iL *daily driver/toy*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement