DFW Mustang Forums banner

Which Caliber in rifle to choose...243 VS .308...

8K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  Baron 
#1 ·
Ive been searching and looking/debating on which caliber to choose from. Ive been in the market for a hunting rifle. Ill be hunting, pigs, coyote(varmints) and also deer. So Ive been debating on choosing a rifle caliber to go with. Ive ended up with two choices .243 and .308. So i was looking to see what yall recommend on which caliber to go with. Ive read/heard that the .243 once it hits deer or its mark(not sure on what distance) it will shatter and not penetrate and not bring the animal down, I want an effective round that I know I will have no problem with on hitting my target. The .243 and .308 can be bought almost everywhere for a fair price, Ive seen some 30-06's on here for sale but I heard they kick like a mule. I need something once I shoot I can get back on the target quick, and also good at a long effective range. So any advice on what yall think would be a good would be great.

#5 ·
I went through quite a few different calibers and ended up with a 7mm-08 as my primary hunting rifle. I will never go to another round.
It is essentially a 308 necked down 7mm. It has better ballistics then the 308 with less recoil.
If you are wanting to save the pelts I would go with a seperate gun all together. I have both a 17hmr and 22-250 for my varmint guns....

#7 ·
.243 is pretty much a .308 necked down to 6mm, and depending on your idea of long range can dictate which caliber as well. I say the .243 cause its a lil more versitle for what you've listed so far, you can get a 85 gr partition for larger game and then Hornady makes a 55gr bullet which runs just like a .22-250 for varmints.

#9 ·
It sounds like you want a gun that's easy to shoot, shoots well, and you won't get heartbroken about beating it around. A Stevens 200, or a Howa Ranchland Combo sounds like your game. Stevens 200's are $200-$250 right now at Academy.

#12 ·
30-06 doesn't kick as bad as it sounds. I have shot some 180 grain rounds out of mine ( Howa 1500) and they have some punch, but I mostly shoot a 155grain round that I have made by a friend of mine and the kick is not that bad, and as mentioned before when you are hunting and your adrenaline is pumping you will never feel it. I agree, go with a .308, great all around round. Just my $.02

#15 ·
I shoot a Browning A-Bolt in .243. I have had it for 20 years and it is probably the best shooting rifle I own. For deer and smaller it is perfect and for anything bigger I just use my .338. I never bought a .308 since I really have the range covered well with those 2.

#16 ·
I'm not worried about the fur damage at all on the coyote's. Cabelas has the savage scope combo in a .308 for around $500? not sure though, I also seen a used .243 savage w upgraded scope (forgot brand) and it was all camo. The stock was upgraded, already came with detachable box magazine and all it needed was a sling. My cousin told me it was a great rifle, came hooked up already and said to jump on it, but wasn't sure if i wanted the .243..But i figured if i bought a .308 and they seem to come with a crappy scope i would have to change that out and i would spend a couple hundred on that, if that's the case i would just get the used .243 w upgraded scope and stock right?

#19 ·
I'm a fan of both rounds but I have always thought that a .243 is perfect for Texas game. I shot countless deer, pigs, African plains game and tons of varmints with my Model 70 .243 and a few of them at some pretty good distances (I shot my Impala at 264 yards)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.