Is it legal to carry a gun in my car? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
CJ
User may be editing post.

Is it legal to carry a gun in my car?

Let's take part in a group collection of knowledge to compile a sticky since this question is asked so often. Then we can finally put this question to bed for any curious members.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 10:23 PM
BANNED

i hope so because i carry my glock every where i drive. lol

post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 11:20 PM
I Я Invizabul

It is legal to carry a loaded gun in your car as long as it is hidden from plain sight. Here ia link to all Texas statutes

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/Index.aspx

Here is the information you are looking for.

Quote:
Sec. 46.02. UNLAWFUL CARRYING WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:
(1) on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or
(2) inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control.
(a-1) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control at any time in which:
(1) the handgun is in plain view; or
(2) the person is:
(A) engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic;
(B) prohibited by law from possessing a firearm; or
(C) a member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Section 71.01.

(a-2) For purposes of this section, "premises" includes real property and a recreational vehicle that is being used as living quarters, regardless of whether that use is temporary or permanent. In this subsection, "recreational vehicle" means a motor vehicle primarily designed as temporary living quarters or a vehicle that contains temporary living quarters and is designed to be towed by a motor vehicle. The term includes a travel trailer, camping trailer, truck camper, motor home, and horse trailer with living quarters.
(b) Except as provided by Subsection (c), an offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.
(c) An offense under this section is a felony of the third degree if the offense is committed on any premises licensed or issued a permit by this state for the sale of alcoholic beverages.

As long as you are NOT doing any of the things I bolded you are good to go.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
So, Killerfly; once I turn 18, I can buy a handgun to carry in my car? As long as it is hidden and out of sight? Even without a CHL? Just wanting to make sure everything I read is understood properly in my brain. Im planning on buying myself a SIG 556 this summer to keep in my house and new apartment, things around here are getting pretty hot. I would like to have the opportunity to defend myself and my family if the situation calls for it. But a handgun would definetely be more practical in my Jeep. I do understand that I cannot apply for my CHL until I turn 21 years of age. Am I correct so far?
You can't buy a handgun till you turn 21. You can't even be in possession of one till then. You CAN apply for a CHL before you are 21 only if you are in the military, otherwise you need to wait till you are 21.
As far as buying a Sig 556 when you turn 18 .... You CAN do that but I would advise not to. I would look more at a 12 gauge to keep in the car and home. Reason I say that is a better option is there is much more of a chance of putting an attacker or intruder down with one pull of the trigger when using 00 buck that you have with .223/5.56. Next reason is a low buy in with the 12 gauge, it sure would suck to have your $1300-$1500 rifle stolen from home or Jeep. Losing a $200-$250 shotgun is better than losing a rifle.

You also have to keep in mind that if you do have to use it there is a chance that it can be taken for evidence. While that isn't the greatest reason for not using top shelf equipment, it is enough to keep me from carrying anything too high dollar. I myself use a old worn out Remington 870 20" riot gun for home protection and a used Sig P229R or HK USP compact for a concealed carry gun. I could never allow myself to carry a pistol that cost me more than $500. I learned that lesson after having to jump into a pool while carrying a $1000 1911, took me hours to make sure it didn't rust and I still had to have it refinished.

In short ...

Can you buy a handgun when you turn 18 - No
Can you carry a handgun in your car at 18 - No
Can you buy a handgun when you turn 21 - Yes
Can you carry one in your Jeep when you turn 21 Without a CHL - Yes, but only if you meet the stipulations in the law I posted above ( PC 46.02 )
Can you apply for a CHL before you are 21 - No
Can you apply for a CHL the day you turn 21 - Yes

----------------------------------------------------------

Just a quick repost of something I threw on another board.

post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 01:24 AM
Packin' up...

To add another question to this thread:

Without a CHL, is it legal to carry the firearm on you, ex: in your pocket while in the car, fully concealed?
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 01:27 AM
I Я Invizabul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmark View Post

Without a CHL, is it legal to carry the firearm on you, ex: in your pocket while in the car, fully concealed?
As far as I am aware ... Yes. Keep in mind I am not a lawyer though.
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 01:34 AM
Packin' up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
As far as I am aware ... Yes. Keep in mind I am not a lawyer though.
Sounds right, I was just throwing that out there.

From reading the above laws. It is unlawful to carry when a person is not inside of or directly en route to their vehicle.

So it is lawful to carry inside or directly en route of their vehicle as long as they have the handgun out of plain view, are not engaged in criminal activity, are able to possess a firearm, and not a member of a criminal street gang.

I suppose as long as I remove the firearm from my possession while leaving my vehicle all is well.
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 01:42 AM
I Я Invizabul

Quote:
Sounds right, I was just throwing that out there.

From reading the above laws. It is unlawful to carry when a person is not inside of or directly en route to their vehicle.

So it is lawful to carry inside or directly en route of their vehicle as long as they have the handgun out of plain view, are not engaged in criminal activity, are able to possess a firearm, and not a member of a criminal street gang.

I suppose as long as I remove the firearm from my possession while leaving my vehicle all is well.
Correct.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 04:26 AM
Time Served

Quote:

That is a very sticky subject. If you are pulled over and the officer gets you out of the car, things may not go nicely. The thing is, when you are pulled over and if you have a chl for instance, you give the officer your chl or tell them you have one. The officers next question is, do you have your weapon on you. If they say yes then you just ask them to place their hands on the steering wheel for your saftey and theirs (precaution, its what I was taught lol) However if that person doesn't have a chl then the officer has no idea about the gun on the person. You could tell the officer that you do have a weapon on you just as chl holders do for safety. But it is not against the law to have a gun concealed on you, without a chl, while in your vehicle.

post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 06:16 AM
Lifer

I have a few comments on this, and they are in bold:

Quote:
In short ...

Can you buy a handgun when you turn 18 - No

You cannot buy a gun from a dealer at 18, but you can buy a gun from an individual.

Can you carry a handgun in your car at 18 - No

Why not? I see no age stipulation in 46.02.

Can you buy a handgun when you turn 21 - Yes
Can you carry one in your Jeep when you turn 21 Without a CHL - Yes, but only if you meet the stipulations in the law I posted above ( PC 46.02 )
Can you apply for a CHL before you are 21 - No
Can you apply for a CHL the day you turn 21 - Yes

post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 07:00 AM
Lifer

I think you can apply for a CHL if your under 21 if your military.
post #11 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 07:26 AM
Time Served

The answer is "yes". You can carry in your car as long as the weapon is concealed. No CHL required for this.
post #12 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 09:07 AM
Lifer

As has been previously mentioned as well -

The VEHICLE must be under your control, therefore at a minimum you should be the driver of the vehicle . Possibly the owner of the vehicle depending on the legal interpretation.
So you cannot carry in a buddies car, etc

79 K5 blazer, 6" lift 38x15" tires d44/12b lockers and chromoly axles ,6.2L GM diesel - Waste Vegetable Oil conversion - cross over steering,14"SAW nitrogen shocks, beefed shackles, shackle flip, winch/ bumpers, diff covers.

94 CBR 600 naked, handbraked, -1 +3 sprockets, one wheel operation mod

"I'm sorry, nothing quite says, "F- You, I'm from Texas" like an all-business, stripped-down K5."
post #13 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 09:40 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by futant View Post
As has been previously mentioned as well -

The VEHICLE must be under your control, therefore at a minimum you should be the driver of the vehicle . Possibly the owner of the vehicle depending on the legal interpretation.
So you cannot carry in a buddies car, etc
If you get a conservative officer like me stopping a regular tax paying citizen for a regular traffic stop, then my interpretation of the law means that a passenger can carry also.

I have seen no cases in Tarrant county on this yet, and I wonder if any case law has been made yet.

The reasoning behind my logic is say you and a buddy are driving to/from the range and/or gun store with a gun that is the buddy's. This buddy is a passenger. It is my belief that the buddy has a right to transport a firearm just as you do.
post #14 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 10:01 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

i have herd also that you can carry it in your car if your going throw 3 county
post #15 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 10:04 AM
Lifer

Is for me.
Get a CHL.

1/2 mile 9 turns 41.3 sec
post #16 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 10:23 AM
Token Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirststang View Post
i have herd also that you can carry it in your car if your going throw 3 county
Damn, you're a strong bastard.

'05 Redfire Mustang

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey
post #17 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 10:27 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post
If you get a conservative officer like me stopping a regular tax paying citizen for a regular traffic stop, then my interpretation of the law means that a passenger can carry also.

I have seen no cases in Tarrant county on this yet, and I wonder if any case law has been made yet.

The reasoning behind my logic is say you and a buddy are driving to/from the range and/or gun store with a gun that is the buddy's. This buddy is a passenger. It is my belief that the buddy has a right to transport a firearm just as you do.
I have a few hypothetical's for you.

Say you do get pulled over from a cop that is not as conservative as you are, what would the conversation be like? What questions are asked? Do you have to be coming from a gun range and/or a gun store or can you just say, "I was coming back from a friends", or "I just got back from grocery shopping".

While the the statute listed above makes perfect sense, it seems that if you were pulled over this conversation could go horribly wrong, especially for someone who doesn't know the law 100%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmarsh93z
Don't Fuck with DFWStangs...the most powerfull gang I have ever been a member of.
post #18 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 11:07 AM
2-7 and still a fan!

Quote:
Too bad most all cops are not like you, in a situation like that your buddy IS going to jail and YOU will be fucked with as well and may even go to jail too. In my CHL class our instructor (ex military, ex-cop) told us that any weapons (guns) had to be locked in the trunk or glove box during transport. It didn't matter if you were going to the range, gun show, pawn shop or from buying one at store, the only gray area was if they were loaded or not while being transported, but his advise was do not have any loaded weapons while transporting. Boxes of ammo and weapons locked up in the trunk OK, loaded weapons in the trunk and boxes of ammo, may not be good.

There is always a gray area and it always works out for law enforcement, like carrying to your car without a CHL, lets say you live in a large apartment complex and you DONT have a CHL but you can carry in your car, well the cops are looking for some bad guys that ran into your apt. complex and you fit the description, guess what, you get detained and you are probably going to jail, unless its Matt then you can explain to him what you are doing and he'll just let you go, lol!
post #19 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 11:21 AM
DERP DERP DERP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostTX View Post
Retard strong.

post #20 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 11:40 AM
que?

i am glad i have a chl, i don't have to worry about any of this

and lmfao @ "throw 3 county"
post #21 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 11:51 AM
GROWED UP WRONG

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostTX View Post
I laughed...
post #22 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 12:56 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 347Mike View Post
I have a few hypothetical's for you.

Say you do get pulled over from a cop that is not as conservative as you are, what would the conversation be like? What questions are asked? Do you have to be coming from a gun range and/or a gun store or can you just say, "I was coming back from a friends", or "I just got back from grocery shopping".

While the the statute listed above makes perfect sense, it seems that if you were pulled over this conversation could go horribly wrong, especially for someone who doesn't know the law 100%.
First off, if the gun is concealed (like it is supposed to be) this would never come up.

It is my belief that if the subject were to come up, since there is no defense to the gun being in plain sight, then you have problems.
post #23 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 01:01 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTED32V View Post
Too bad most all cops are not like you, in a situation like that your buddy IS going to jail and YOU will be fucked with as well and may even go to jail too. In my CHL class our instructor (ex military, ex-cop) told us that any weapons (guns) had to be locked in the trunk or glove box during transport. It didn't matter if you were going to the range, gun show, pawn shop or from buying one at store, the only gray area was if they were loaded or not while being transported, but his advise was do not have any loaded weapons while transporting. Boxes of ammo and weapons locked up in the trunk OK, loaded weapons in the trunk and boxes of ammo, may not be good.

There is always a gray area and it always works out for law enforcement, like carrying to your car without a CHL, lets say you live in a large apartment complex and you DONT have a CHL but you can carry in your car, well the cops are looking for some bad guys that ran into your apt. complex and you fit the description, guess what, you get detained and you are probably going to jail, unless its Matt then you can explain to him what you are doing and he'll just let you go, lol!
Your friend doesn't have a good working knowledge of 46.02. Please have him show me where the gun has to be locked in the trunk or glove box. If it's in the trunk, then it's fucking useless if needed. Likewise if it is in the glove box, then you have to pull over and stop the ignition to get the key to unlock the box.

How does your friend carry his guns? I'll bet you a steak dinner he doesn't carry the SOB in the trunk.

What if you have a hatchback and there is no "trunk". If the gun is accessable when reaching it from the back seat, is everyone with that type of vehicle now a criminal because of the car they drive?

I'll tell you, there's been times that I've wanted to use this statute, but if it doesn't fit everything, then it doesn't fit. I've caught people that I knew were up to no good, and when they went to jail for a traffic warrant, inventoried their car and found a gun. I wanted to add the charge, but it just wasn't right. Tomorrow will always come.
post #24 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 01:46 PM
2-7 and still a fan!

Quote:
Your friend doesn't have a good working knowledge of 46.02. Please have him show me where the gun has to be locked in the trunk or glove box. If it's in the trunk, then it's fucking useless if needed. Likewise if it is in the glove box, then you have to pull over and stop the ignition to get the key to unlock the box.

How does your friend carry his guns? I'll bet you a steak dinner he doesn't carry the SOB in the trunk.

What if you have a hatchback and there is no "trunk". If the gun is accessable when reaching it from the back seat, is everyone with that type of vehicle now a criminal because of the car they drive?
I guess I should have mentioned this was the year that CHL were begining in Texas, the laws have changed since then. And I might add, I was responding to the one of the problems of 46.02 of conceal carry to the car with no CHL.

Quote:
I'll tell you, there's been times that I've wanted to use this statute, but if it doesn't fit everything, then it doesn't fit. I've caught people that I knew were up to no good, and when they went to jail for a traffic warrant, inventoried their car and found a gun. I wanted to add the charge, but it just wasn't right. Tomorrow will always come.
I said present company excluded...
post #25 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 01:58 PM
I Я Invizabul

Quote:
I have a few comments on this, and they are in bold:
Good point .. PC 46.06 covers age

Quote:
Sec. 46.06. UNLAWFUL TRANSFER OF CERTAIN WEAPONS. (a) A person commits an offense if the person:
(1) sells, rents, leases, loans, or gives a handgun to any person knowing that the person to whom the handgun is to be delivered intends to use it unlawfully or in the commission of an unlawful act;
(2) intentionally or knowingly sells, rents, leases, or gives or offers to sell, rent, lease, or give to any child younger than 18 years any firearm, club, or illegal knife;
(3) intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly sells a firearm or ammunition for a firearm to any person who is intoxicated;
(4) knowingly sells a firearm or ammunition for a firearm to any person who has been convicted of a felony before the fifth anniversary of the later of the following dates:
(A) the person's release from confinement following conviction of the felony; or
(B) the person's release from supervision under community supervision, parole, or mandatory supervision following conviction of the felony;
(5) sells, rents, leases, loans, or gives a handgun to any person knowing that an active protective order is directed to the person to whom the handgun is to be delivered; or
(6) knowingly purchases, rents, leases, or receives as a loan or gift from another a handgun while an active protective order is directed to the actor.
(b) In this section:
(1) "Intoxicated" means substantial impairment of mental or physical capacity resulting from introduction of any substance into the body.
(2) "Active protective order" means a protective order issued under Title 4, Family Code, that is in effect. The term does not include a temporary protective order issued before the court holds a hearing on the matter.
(c) It is an affirmative defense to prosecution under Subsection (a)(2) that the transfer was to a minor whose parent or the person having legal custody of the minor had given written permission for the sale or, if the transfer was other than a sale, the parent or person having legal custody had given effective consent.
(d) An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor, except that an offense under Subsection (a)(2) is a state jail felony if the weapon that is the subject of the offense is a handgun.
You are right, although my answer to that particular kid stands.
post #26 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 02:21 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTED32V View Post
I guess I should have mentioned this was the year that CHL were begining in Texas, the laws have changed since then. And I might add, I was responding to the one of the problems of 46.02 of conceal carry to the car with no CHL.

I said present company excluded...
46.02 post dates the original CHL law.
post #27 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 02:27 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Good point .. PC 46.06 covers age

You are right, although my answer to that particular kid stands.
I've never understood why people won't sell a handgun or handgun ammo to someone under 21 because the law (as far as I know) does not make that difference.
post #28 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 02:30 PM
I Я Invizabul

Quote:
I've never understood why people won't sell a handgun or handgun ammo to someone under 21 because the law (as far as I know) does not make that difference.
The gun control act of 1968 has something in there pertaining to FFL holders. I wont sell to someone under 21 because I can't believe that they have the judgment and life experience to practice gun safety. I just don't feel good about it.
post #29 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 02:46 PM
Lifer

Quote:
The gun control act of 1968 has something in there pertaining to FFL holders. I wont sell to someone under 21 because I can't believe that they have the judgment and life experience to practice gun safety. I just don't feel good about it.
But why is there business policies stating that they will sell a long arm to an 18 yoa, but not a handgun?
post #30 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 02:58 PM
I Я Invizabul

Quote:
But why is there business policies stating that they will sell a long arm to an 18 yoa, but not a handgun?
I assume because they are FFLs and are bound by the gun control act of 1968.

Quote:
(b) It shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer,
licensed dealer, or licensed collector to sell or deliver -
(1) any firearm or ammunition to any individual who the licensee knows or has
reasonable cause to believe is less than eighteen years of age, and, if the
firearm, or ammunition is other than a shotgun or rifle, or ammunition for a
shotgun or rifle, to any individual who the licensee knows or has reasonable cause
to believe is less than twenty-one years of age;
There is also supposed to be something in there about prohibiting ownership of a handgun if you are under the age of 21
post #31 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 03:03 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I assume because they are FFLs and are bound by the gun control act of 1968.

There is also supposed to be something in there about prohibiting ownership of a handgun if you are under the age of 21
Well, there you go. You've just exposed a weakness in my armor of knowledge.

Thanks for that.

I've bought ammo for my .357 lever action rifle and have been asked if it is rifle or handgun ammo.
post #32 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 03:06 PM
I Я Invizabul

Quote:
Well, there you go. You've just exposed a weakness in my armor of knowledge.

Thanks for that.

I've bought ammo for my .357 lever action rifle and have been asked if it is rifle or handgun ammo.
LMAO, tell them it is for a rocket launcher or something.
post #33 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 03:11 PM
blank

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
Let's take part in a group collection of knowledge to compile a sticky since this question is asked so often. Then we can finally put this question to bed for any curious members.
Can we also get a CHL sticky? classes, faq's ect. There is a thread every other day about it.
post #34 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 03:15 PM
Packin' up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0LiterRiceEater View Post
Can we also get a CHL sticky? classes, faq's ect. There is a thread every other day about it.
I wouldn't mind that either.

1. Talk about the process of going straight into the class
2. Talk about the process of going into the class with already receiving your packet from Austin
3. Fees
4. Average costs
5. Positive places you've taken the class
post #35 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 03:57 PM
Lifer

Is mounting a gun to your car illegal? It could be out of plain sight like behind the grill or something.
post #36 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 04:39 PM
Time Served

So the law says you can carry a gun in your car without a CHL, but it what instances can you actually use it?

I'm not sure that all the people without CHL's that carry in their car actually know when its legal to use deadly force. That's one of the reasons i dont carry my gun until i actually take a CHL class. Can you only use it to protect yourself? protecting passengers in your car? Can you use it against some psycho that just starts shooting up a mall parking lot?

2002 4.6L 5 spd. S281

So fast, I make speedy gonzales look like regular gonzales
post #37 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 04:57 PM
Crackalack!

If you have a CHL and you get pulled over and you're NOT carrying OR have a gun in your car, do you still present your CHL with your license? Just curious because it seems like cops are pretty cool to folks with CHL's and I've thought about getting one just for this reason! LOL!
post #38 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 04:59 PM
I Я Invizabul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Hatton View Post
If you have a CHL and you get pulled over and you're NOT carrying OR have a gun in your car, do you still present your CHL with your license? Just curious because it seems like cops are pretty cool to folks with CHL's and I've thought about getting one just for this reason! LOL!
You are not required to (if you are not carrying) but I always do.
post #39 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 05:00 PM
Lifer

Quote:
First off, if the gun is concealed (like it is supposed to be) this would never come up.

It is my belief that if the subject were to come up, since there is no defense to the gun being in plain sight, then you have problems.
Let me add that it won't come up unless you are committing a crime and go to jail, which will possibly cause your lawful weapon posssession to turn into UNLAWFUL carrying of a weapon.

I see it all the time here at the jail, a guy does a gas drive-off, or has some marijuana, or commits a criminal mischief, or some other relatively minor crime and now that he has a gun in his car he gets a UCW charge that would not have come about but for his criminal activity.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

If you like the IRS, DMV and the Post Office, you will love Obamacare!

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
post #40 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 05:01 PM
que?

Quote:
i do. some don't, but to each his own

hell i was in a parking lot drunk off my ass taking a piss when a cop rolled up on me. i stopped right before he got to me and zipped up. he was pissed you could tell but asked for some id. i walk...errr stumbled to his car and handed him my chl, dl and said i am not armed. he looked at it and saw it was my bday and let me go home. was it the chl? who knows but i would imagine it didn't hurt any
post #41 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 05:07 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Why would you not show it every time? It tells the officer you have been through a criminal records check and are clean. You are the perfect candidate for a warning and no citation!

BTW, the above statement does not apply to motorcycle cops and DPS, it is their only job to write tickets.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

“An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life.”
Robert A. Heinlein

I have to agree with a quote from former Treasury Secretary William E. Simon: "Bad politicians are sent to Washington by good people who don't vote."
post #42 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 05:29 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
Let me add that it won't come up unless you are committing a crime and go to jail, which will possibly cause your lawful weapon posssession to turn into UNLAWFUL carrying of a weapon.

I see it all the time here at the jail, a guy does a gas drive-off, or has some marijuana, or commits a criminal mischief, or some other relatively minor crime and now that he has a gun in his car he gets a UCW charge that would not have come about but for his criminal activity.
I had actually thought about asking you outright if you have EVER seen someone arrested for the UCW where the person was committing NO offense, but the officer saw the weapon.

Hell, I got a call once to the old "Black Eyed Pea" at the Loop and John T. White about a man with a gun. It turned out he was a CHL'er and he was printing. I gave him a friendly reminder and sent him on his way.

Now if this had been some thug without a CHL I'm sure it would have turned out differently.

By the way, the man I got a call on was black, not that it matters any.
post #43 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 05:34 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I had actually thought about asking you outright if you have EVER seen someone arrested for the UCW where the person was committing NO offense, but the officer saw the weapon.

Hell, I got a call once to the old "Black Eyed Pea" at the Loop and John T. White about a man with a gun. It turned out he was a CHL'er and he was printing. I gave him a friendly reminder and sent him on his way.

Now if this had been some thug without a CHL I'm sure it would have turned out differently.

I have never seen an arrest for a person who just had the weapon visible during the last year I have been here at the jail.

One
Big
Ass
Mistake
America

Robert A. Heinlein

post #44 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 05:41 PM
Pimp Juice ca. 1997

Quote:

Must've been a fake license then... btw - you never answered my PM about out of state CHL's and residency w/ reciprocity...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
God bless you Roscoe and all you do for humanity and this board in particular.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTED32V
You know Roscoe, I used to think that you were some 16 yr.old punk with a speech impediment, but now I want you to marry one of my daughters ...'H'
post #45 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 06:07 PM
blank

Quote:
I wouldn't mind that either.

1. Talk about the process of going straight into the class
2. Talk about the process of going into the class with already receiving your packet from Austin
3. Fees
4. Average costs
5. Positive places you've taken the class
Sounds good to me. I've had one for 8 years and my second renewal is due. I have some advice to give to anyone that needs it. Go start a thread and we'll see if we can make it a sticky. Who's the mod for The Armory?
post #46 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 08:20 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post
Must've been a fake license then... btw - you never answered my PM about out of state CHL's and residency w/ reciprocity...
Oh shit. Musta been covered up in the flood of PMs I got.

Let me get back to you on this tomorrow. I'm about to hit the sack (work tomorrow).
post #47 of 48 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 08:40 AM Thread Starter
CJ
User may be editing post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0LiterRiceEater View Post
definitely - makes our lives easier. Once we get a good amount of information I'll edit the primary post with all of it and get a good collection to help board members.
post #48 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-01-2010, 11:47 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

My gun is always in the car makes me feel safe like a seatbelt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement