Just bought 2 stripped lowers - $139.26 shipped - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
03trubluGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DFW
Posts: 12,430
Just bought 2 stripped lowers - $139.26 shipped

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=F1STSLGEN1

Two stripped Spike's Tactical lowers.

Looks like I will be building a couple more ARs....
03trubluGT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 02:46 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,087
Shows as sold out now.
mustang_revival is offline  
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
03trubluGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DFW
Posts: 12,430
Damn, they just went on sale yesterday.

I checked my email and they had sent me a notice yesterday so I bought 2 today.
03trubluGT is offline  
 
post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 03:30 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 723
Well, shit! I would've bought a couple of those myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt
Meh...I dunno why she likes it. It's like she put it on a pedestal because it is the gravy of life.
CAD424 is offline  
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 09:00 PM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
03trubluGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DFW
Posts: 12,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAD424 View Post
Well, shit! I would've bought a couple of those myself.
I'm gonna build one lower, and sell the other for ONE MEEELION DOLLARS!!!
03trubluGT is offline  
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 08:33 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Rockwall
Posts: 917
Who's running good prices on kits to finish one? I have two stripped lowers that I've had for two years, but I haven't gotten around to finishing one yet. Picked up an XDm40 instead.
Grimpala is offline  
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
03trubluGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DFW
Posts: 12,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimpala View Post
Who's running good prices on kits to finish one? I have two stripped lowers that I've had for two years, but I haven't gotten around to finishing one yet. Picked up an XDm40 instead.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=180420

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=424124

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=877204

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2...IVER_PARTS_KIT

http://www.del-ton.com/AR_15_Lower_P...t_p/lp1045.htm

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-...-Kits-s/46.htm

Last edited by 03trubluGT; 05-28-2010 at 09:30 AM.
03trubluGT is offline  
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 09:11 AM
Lifer
 
01YZ2NV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Shittin in the Kitchen
Posts: 1,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post
Damn, they just went on sale yesterday.

I checked my email and they had sent me a notice yesterday so I bought 2 today.
I got that one too, at that price it sure was tempting, but Ive already got a lower thats been sitting there in the safe.

1957 Chevy Belair
1953 M38A1

01YZ2NV is offline  
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
03trubluGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DFW
Posts: 12,430
I've always wanted to get some of these:

http://www.ar15-kits.com/

They are 80% completed lowers so they don't have serial numbers and you don't have to go through a FFL.
03trubluGT is offline  
post #11 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
03trubluGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DFW
Posts: 12,430
Aim Surplus pissed me off.

My FFL is going on vacation on Monday and coming back Thursday. He called Aim to have them hold shipping and they flat out refused saying that they could not hold it, even though I paid for it.

My FFL called me back and had me call them, so I did. They fucking CANCELLED my order! I could have given them another FFL, or paid to upgrade to overnight, but instead they took it upon themselves to cancel the order after talking to my FFL and without asking me first.

To appease me, they made "another" order because they have 400 more coming in on Wednesday. He gauranteed me two lowers and took my CC number again.

If they don't come through, I'm gonna be pissed.
03trubluGT is offline  
post #12 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 02:01 PM
Lifer
 
01YZ2NV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Shittin in the Kitchen
Posts: 1,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post
Aim Surplus pissed me off.

My FFL is going on vacation on Monday and coming back Thursday. He called Aim to have them hold shipping and they flat out refused saying that they could not hold it, even though I paid for it.

My FFL called me back and had me call them, so I did. They fucking CANCELLED my order! I could have given them another FFL, or paid to upgrade to overnight, but instead they took it upon themselves to cancel the order after talking to my FFL and without asking me first.

To appease me, they made "another" order because they have 400 more coming in on Wednesday. He gauranteed me two lowers and took my CC number again.

If they don't come through, I'm gonna be pissed.
Damn thats bullshit!

1957 Chevy Belair
1953 M38A1

01YZ2NV is offline  
post #13 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 02:10 PM
Every day is.............
 
cobrajet69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Keller
Posts: 9,150
Wow, that sux Matt.

Can't believe they would pull that shit.


David
cobrajet69 is offline  
post #14 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
03trubluGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DFW
Posts: 12,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobrajet69 View Post
Wow, that sux Matt.

Can't believe they would pull that shit.


David
Believe it.

I have NEVER heard of a business cancelling an order because the FFL said he might not be there to recieve it.

What ticks me off is that they flat cancelled it without contacting me. What verifcation do they go through? Hell, I could start calling them saying I'm Cabela's or someone else and start cancelling orders....
03trubluGT is offline  
post #15 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 08:48 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 723
I'd be done with them after pulling that nonsense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt
Meh...I dunno why she likes it. It's like she put it on a pedestal because it is the gravy of life.
CAD424 is offline  
post #16 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 08:48 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post
Believe it.

I have NEVER heard of a business cancelling an order because the FFL said he might not be there to recieve it.

What ticks me off is that they flat cancelled it without contacting me. What verifcation do they go through? Hell, I could start calling them saying I'm Cabela's or someone else and start cancelling orders....
Matt please rerout info on FFL as I tried looking for one to order me some as well. If he is registered already I might as well get it from his as well.

Thanks in advance

Mr_fiux is offline  
post #17 of 39 (permalink) Old 05-30-2010, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
03trubluGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DFW
Posts: 12,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_fiux View Post
Matt please rerout info on FFL as I tried looking for one to order me some as well. If he is registered already I might as well get it from his as well.

Thanks in advance
PM sent.
03trubluGT is offline  
post #18 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
03trubluGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DFW
Posts: 12,430
Called AIM today, and they recieved the shipment of lowers yesterday. Mine should go out in the morning.
03trubluGT is offline  
post #19 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-10-2010, 10:34 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 962
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post
Called AIM today, and they recieved the shipment of lowers yesterday. Mine should go out in the morning.
Mine will be ordered tomorrow! XD

Mr_fiux is offline  
post #20 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 02:36 AM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Bagram Air Base, Afg
Posts: 2,094
Matt that sucks that your order got canceled but that does not suprise me in the firearms industry.

Nowadays they (firearms industry) are so busy they can not even keep product on the shelf the orders are coming in so fast.

When is the build party? I have a couple lowers to assemble and a AR10 to build.
sonic93 is offline  
post #21 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
03trubluGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DFW
Posts: 12,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic93 View Post
Matt that sucks that your order got canceled but that does not suprise me in the firearms industry.

Nowadays they (firearms industry) are so busy they can not even keep product on the shelf the orders are coming in so fast.

When is the build party? I have a couple lowers to assemble and a AR10 to build.
That's a damn stellar idea!
03trubluGT is offline  
post #22 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 07:36 AM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Bagram Air Base, Afg
Posts: 2,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post
That's a damn stellar idea!
I can host it in my garage in Haslet. It would have to be either July 16th or have to wait until Jan/Feb

All we would need is a sturdy table and chairs to work off of. Garage is a large 3 car a/c'd with a fridge for cold beer and plenty of tools.
sonic93 is offline  
post #23 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 07:55 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 360
bulldog896 is offline  
post #24 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
03trubluGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DFW
Posts: 12,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog896 View Post
Shit, that's $55 each higher than what I paid for mine!
03trubluGT is offline  
post #25 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 05:22 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: MidCities
Posts: 652
I'm in! Just say when the build party is.
Stoner is offline  
post #26 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-11-2010, 05:24 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: MidCities
Posts: 652
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post
Shit, that's $55 each higher than what I paid for mine!

I called them on a complete lower once. They said " Oh that price is wholesale, We're gonna need to charge you $40 more for it".

I said no thanks.
Stoner is offline  
post #27 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 05:07 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Afghanistan
Posts: 424
Are deals like this common? I emailed AIM and asked them if/when they were getting any more in stock and they said that they would not be getting any more.

.مايك كيرشنر ، المسافر من العالم


08 Ford F250 FX4
07 Yamaha 700R

07 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
08 Harley Night Rod Special
Mike K25 is offline  
post #28 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
03trubluGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DFW
Posts: 12,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike K25 View Post
Are deals like this common? I emailed AIM and asked them if/when they were getting any more in stock and they said that they would not be getting any more.
No, this was a special sale. They are "Generation 1" lowers, WTF that means?

They were signed for yesterday. I will pick them up Sunday.
03trubluGT is offline  
post #29 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 09:46 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Afghanistan
Posts: 424
I was going to ask but found the answer on ar15.com

Quote:
The difference is the depth of the markings. These were lazer engraved so the markings are not as deep as the Gen 2.

There is no other difference.

Generation 1:


Generation 2:


The Generation 1 picture didn't turn out so well. I think it makes the markings look lighter than they are in person.

That said, at $69, they are going to be gone in a couple of days.

Spikes still has this: http://www.spikestactical.com/z/inde...products_id=52

Is that still a good price?

.مايك كيرشنر ، المسافر من العالم


08 Ford F250 FX4
07 Yamaha 700R

07 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
08 Harley Night Rod Special
Mike K25 is offline  
post #30 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
03trubluGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DFW
Posts: 12,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike K25 View Post
I was going to ask but found the answer on ar15.com




Spikes still has this: http://www.spikestactical.com/z/inde...products_id=52

Is that still a good price?

IMHO, $100 is not a "good" price, it's about the norm. A "good" price would be the $65 that I paid for these two.
03trubluGT is offline  
post #31 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 01:29 PM
Lifer
 
slow06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Arlington
Posts: 2,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike K25 View Post
I was going to ask but found the answer on ar15.com




Spikes still has this: http://www.spikestactical.com/z/inde...products_id=52

Is that still a good price?
That isn't exactly a great deal, "lesser quality" lowers can be had cheaper with some effort, but it isn't a bad one by any means, especially for a Spikes.

I love my Spikes lower, as far as Im concerned it is a pretty good quality piece, haven't had any problems yet.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
slow06 is offline  
post #32 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 08:50 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Afghanistan
Posts: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post
IMHO, $100 is not a "good" price, it's about the norm. A "good" price would be the $65 that I paid for these two.
Alright then, I will keep my eyes out for a good deal then. I just looked around and seen that other places are asking $200+ for stripped lowers and for the life of me I can't find the justification for charging that much when they are all the same (see next reply).

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow06 View Post
That isn't exactly a great deal, "lesser quality" lowers can be had cheaper with some effort, but it isn't a bad one by any means, especially for a Spikes.

I love my Spikes lower, as far as Im concerned it is a pretty good quality piece, haven't had any problems yet.
Just so we are on the same page, what do you mean by “lesser quality”? It looks like all four of the major manufactures are all about the same with only slight differences.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=318113

I could care less what name brand it is (after finding out they are all pretty much the same) so I just want a few inexpensive lowers.

.مايك كيرشنر ، المسافر من العالم


08 Ford F250 FX4
07 Yamaha 700R

07 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
08 Harley Night Rod Special
Mike K25 is offline  
post #33 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 09:03 PM
Lifer
 
slow06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Arlington
Posts: 2,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike K25 View Post
Alright then, I will keep my eyes out for a good deal then. I just looked around and seen that other places are asking $200+ for stripped lowers and for the life of me I can't find the justification for charging that much when they are all the same (see next reply).



Just so we are on the same page, what do you mean by “lesser quality”? It looks like all four of the major manufactures are all about the same with only slight differences.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=12&t=318113

That is a good article/site. I used another post on there to assemble my Spikes lower.

I could care less what name brand it is (after finding out they are all pretty much the same) so I just want a few inexpensive lowers.
I'm no purist nor am I an expert by any stretch, but I get the impression that Mega, Doublestar (and maybe Olympic) lowers are not quite as good as the others. That is really just judging on the price they sell for and sold for during the rush.

I wouldn't hesitate to build a rifle with any one of them, but if I were trying to build a really nice bench rifle or something like that I would probably get something that was a little nicer, maybe a billet lower.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
slow06 is offline  
post #34 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
03trubluGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DFW
Posts: 12,430
I would use a Bushmaster/Stag/Spikes/Rock River and a few others.

There are only two or three machine companies that make them, with the best being Lewis Machine and Tool (LMT).
03trubluGT is offline  
post #35 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 12:59 AM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Bagram Air Base, Afg
Posts: 2,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow06 View Post
I'm no purist nor am I an expert by any stretch, but I get the impression that Mega, Doublestar (and maybe Olympic) lowers are not quite as good as the others. That is really just judging on the price they sell for and sold for during the rush.

I wouldn't hesitate to build a rifle with any one of them, but if I were trying to build a really nice bench rifle or something like that I would probably get something that was a little nicer, maybe a billet lower.
I have seen some killer builds on Mega matched upper/lowers.
sonic93 is offline  
post #36 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 10:15 AM
Lifer
 
slow06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Arlington
Posts: 2,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic93 View Post
I have seen some killer builds on Mega matched upper/lowers.
I guess I chose my words poorly.

I'm sure all three of the ones I mentioned can be made into great rifles. I have just seen them sell cheaper than $100 which was really my point, since he was asking about price.

The price leads me to believe they may be of slightly lesser quality than say my Spikes, but that is purely an assumption, I have no experience with them. I would buy any of them if the price were right.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
slow06 is offline  
post #37 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 11:00 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Afghanistan
Posts: 424
I think I will just go with the $90 Spikes Gen 2 stripped lower on AIM. While it may not be the best deal in the world, I am having a hard time finding anything else priced similarly. I just need to email them to see when/if they are getting any more in stock (sold out right now).

.مايك كيرشنر ، المسافر من العالم


08 Ford F250 FX4
07 Yamaha 700R

07 Yamaha Grizzly 700 EPS
08 Harley Night Rod Special
Mike K25 is offline  
post #38 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 10:14 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Bagram Air Base, Afg
Posts: 2,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow06 View Post
I guess I chose my words poorly.

I'm sure all three of the ones I mentioned can be made into great rifles. I have just seen them sell cheaper than $100 which was really my point, since he was asking about price.

The price leads me to believe they may be of slightly lesser quality than say my Spikes, but that is purely an assumption, I have no experience with them. I would buy any of them if the price were right.
hey no worries, I understood what you meant the first time around. but you are right for the price, cheaper than $100 you need to really look closely at what you are getting.

The way I have looked at in the past, and I have bought 11 lowers in the last 4 years (4 CMMG and 7 Anvil Arms), spending $35 and even $60 more on a lower does not make that much of a differnce in the grand scheme of things. I bought 7 lowers when DFWstands (DonSVO) did the Anvil Arms group buy. The net cost for each was $135 +/-. My 4 CMMGs I got from MGS at $110 each. All of them I have been happy with but I think the color on the AAs are much better but I am okay with that, the CMMGs were cheaper.

Hell the AAs have better color then the chaulky DPMS LR308 bare lower that I have.

Point is (not directed to Slow) is that saving $30-40 for the lower may allow you to buy a couple rounds at the bar on Friday but you won't notice it in the total cost of the completed riffle.
sonic93 is offline  
post #39 of 39 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 10:22 PM
Fear the lawn gnome
 
sleeperLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: if you want it blown up let me have it.
Posts: 4,535
I like my spikes gen 2 lower. I wish the coating was a little better. It will look tacticool battle scarred one trip out hunting haha. For the price you cant complain.

I just like to keep my shit nice. Even tho i go and drag it out in the country and well below freezing temps/snow/rain. I take care of it just like the first time i take any firearm out of the box when its new.

What you might call solitude is something i look forward to.
sleeperLS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome