I'm in love with Kimber - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Packin' up...

I'm in love with Kimber

Well, I recently sold my XD in looking for a 1911. I picked up a full size Springfield 1911 with the thoughts of carrying it and decided it was a bit too large for my comfort. I traded it off for an H&K USP Compact .45 and today traded that for a Kimber Ultra Carry II. Not bad in a weeks worth of time.

I feel like I got a really good deal on it as the only original money I had used was to purchase the 1911, and it was a fair deal.

The only thing wrong with the Kimber is that some of the bluing on the safety has rubbed off. I priced them at 25 bucks from Kimber, but the more I think about it, what's the point? This will be my carry anyways...

Just kind of rambling. I'm finally in a spot where I love my rifle and handgun, so I can stop moving shit around to be content.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 02:20 PM
I Я Invizabul

I had the same issue with the safety on mine ... I just think they use crappy paint on the MIM parts. Best bet is to fit a better safety if you want to fix it. Look at wilson combat, you can get a good single side safety from them for about $32 and it is NOT a shitty MIM part.

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/a_thumb_...s_tactical.asp

I would stay away from ambi safetys on a 1911 if you are a righty. They have a tendency to get knocked off when carrying. Nothing sucks more IMO than finding out your single action pistol was ready to belch fire if handled slightly wrong.
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 02:25 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
I had the same issue with the safety on mine ... I just think they use crappy paint on the MIM parts. Best bet is to fit a better safety if you want to fix it. Look at wilson combat, you can get a good single side safety from them for about $32 and it is NOT a shitty MIM part.

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/a_thumb_...s_tactical.asp

I would stay away from ambi safetys on a 1911 if you are a righty. They have a tendency to get knocked off when carrying. Nothing sucks more IMO than finding out your single action pistol was ready to belch fire if handled slightly wrong.
What he said...

06 Evo MR *toy*
89 LX 5.0 *toy*
2010 Kia Soul *wifes car*
00 GS400 *daily driver/toy...*
03 BMW 745iL *daily driver/toy*

post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Packin' up...

Thanks for the info and link. I've got no interest in going with an ambi safety...

Is this safety a drop in replacement?
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 02:30 PM
I Я Invizabul

Something else I always like to change out on these is the mag catch .. I like to be able to detail strip my pistols pretty easy so I change out the catch on the Kimbers to a style that uses a flat blade screwdriver instead of a allen to remove. Makes things a ton faster for me.

I also got in the habit of keeping a paper clip in my pocket to help me field strip the gun should I need to for any reason. Getting the recoil spring assembly out of there is next to imposable without something to stick in that hole.
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 02:31 PM
I Я Invizabul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmark View Post
Thanks for the info and link. I've got no interest in going with an ambi safety...

Is this safety a drop in replacement?
It is not drop in but it is super easy to do. I think I spent a whole 15-20 minutes doing mine. If you like I could give ya a hand with it one of these days. All it takes is a small file and some time.
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Packin' up...

Quote:
Something else I always like to change out on these is the mag catch .. I like to be able to detail strip my pistols pretty easy so I change out the catch on the Kimbers to a style that uses a flat blade screwdriver instead of a allen to remove. Makes things a ton faster for me.

I also got in the habit of keeping a paper clip in my pocket to help me field strip the gun should I need to for any reason. Getting the recoil spring assembly out of there is next to imposable without something to stick in that hole.
Thanks for the info.

Yea I tore it down just a moment ago. I started grinding down a small hex tool, but it became a pain in my ass. I found a paper clip and bent it as needed and threw it in the box w/ the kimber.

The gun was cleaned up on the outside, but the inside was a little dirty. I've noticed in my past 3 firearm transactions that people do not clean them before meeting up, it's annoying.
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 02:38 PM
I Я Invizabul

Quote:
Thanks for the info.

Yea I tore it down just a moment ago. I started grinding down a small hex tool, but it became a pain in my ass. I found a paper clip and bent it as needed and threw it in the box w/ the kimber.

The gun was cleaned up on the outside, but the inside was a little dirty. I've noticed in my past 3 firearm transactions that people do not clean them before meeting up, it's annoying.
I never mind cleaning a new gun. Lets me learn how it works. Detail strip the hell out of that bitch and clean EVERYTHING. Might want to look into something like gun butter or wilson combat ultma lube for the rails. I prefer grease for the slide and oil for the barrel and other parts cause it lasts longer when carrying it. It seems every time I skip the grease it drys up in a week or so.
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Packin' up...

Quote:
I never mind cleaning a new gun. Lets me learn how it works. Detail strip the hell out of that bitch and clean EVERYTHING. Might want to look into something like gun butter or wilson combat ultma lube for the rails. I prefer grease for the slide and oil for the barrel and other parts cause it lasts longer when carrying it. It seems every time I skip the grease it drys up in a week or so.
Yea, I mean i'm going to clean it anyways, I just think it's weird of people. Good idea on the rails. Coming from mostly polymer firearms, that's a good pointer.

I can't wait to go shoot this thing!
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 02:43 PM
I Я Invizabul

Quote:
Yea, I mean i'm going to clean it anyways, I just think it's weird of people. Good idea on the rails. Coming from mostly polymer firearms, that's a good pointer.

I can't wait to go shoot this thing!
When ya get a chance bring it by and Ill see what I can do on it. Have you detail stripped a 1911 before?
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Packin' up...

Quote:
When ya get a chance bring it by and Ill see what I can do on it. Have you detail stripped a 1911 before?
Nope. Farthest point I've taken them is removing the slide, barrel, spring, and side grips. I've never messed with the rest. I guess i'm gonna go ahead and order the wilson part and then bug you when I get it.
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 02:50 PM
I Я Invizabul

Quote:
Nope. Farthest point I've taken them is removing the slide, barrel, spring, and side grips. I've never messed with the rest. I guess i'm gonna go ahead and order the wilson part and then bug you when I get it.
Sounds like a plan man!
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 03:03 PM
<Insert Title Here>

Man those are some gorgeous guns, and I would like the smaller framed one for a concealed carry, but $850 - $900 for one!!

...ugh

post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 03:15 PM
GROWED UP WRONG

Yep, I love my Kimber UC II!
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 04:09 PM
I Я Invizabul

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
Man those are some gorgeous guns, and I would like the smaller framed one for a concealed carry, but $850 - $900 for one!!

...ugh
Shop around for a good used one. I paid less than $700 for my Kimbers.
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Packin' up...

Quote:
Shop around for a good used one. I paid less than $700 for my Kimbers.
Agreed, I have less than $700 in mine after trading around too...
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 04:47 PM
I Я Invizabul

Quote:
Agreed, I have less than $700 in mine after trading around too...
About 2 years ago I was seeing used ones for about $500-$550. They were the early series 2 design with the external extractor though.
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Packin' up...

Quote:
About 2 years ago I was seeing used ones for about $500-$550. They were the early series 2 design with the external extractor though.
If I can get my hands on another H&K USP Compact .45, ~600-650, I can trade it straight up for a fella with a ultra carry w/ 3 mags. Trying to find one now to purchase like today...
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 05:09 PM
I Я Invizabul

Quote:
If I can get my hands on another H&K USP Compact .45, ~600-650, I can trade it straight up for a fella with a ultra carry w/ 3 mags. Trying to find one now to purchase like today...
http://www.outdoorstrader.com/viewad...40890664100073

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=88&t=764060
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 08:02 PM
Slingin rock on da corner

Quote:
Well, I recently sold my XD in looking for a 1911. I picked up a full size Springfield 1911 with the thoughts of carrying it and decided it was a bit too large for my comfort. I traded it off for an H&K USP Compact .45 and today traded that for a Kimber Ultra Carry II. Not bad in a weeks worth of time.

I feel like I got a really good deal on it as the only original money I had used was to purchase the 1911, and it was a fair deal.

The only thing wrong with the Kimber is that some of the bluing on the safety has rubbed off. I priced them at 25 bucks from Kimber, but the more I think about it, what's the point? This will be my carry anyways...

Just kind of rambling. I'm finally in a spot where I love my rifle and handgun, so I can stop moving shit around to be content.

You sound just like me man! I traded my XD off and got my Kimber about 2 weeks ago. I went with the Custom Compact, though (4" gun instead of 3")

I'm very happy with it.

Remember, some people are alive simply because it is illegal to kill them.

God Bless our Troops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Prez
my excuse is i dont give a fuck...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMCev View Post
sass me again and see what happens...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yale View Post
I knew you were a titty hating fag the moment I met you.

2007 Harley Davidson Street Bob
2003 King Ranch F-150
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 08:03 PM
Slingin rock on da corner

Don't get me wrong though, I love XD's, and Springfield in general...in fact, my nightstand gun is a 5" XD .45

But for carry duty, the Kimber is the best I've had so far out of several different weapons.

Remember, some people are alive simply because it is illegal to kill them.

God Bless our Troops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Prez
my excuse is i dont give a fuck...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMCev View Post
sass me again and see what happens...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yale View Post
I knew you were a titty hating fag the moment I met you.

2007 Harley Davidson Street Bob
2003 King Ranch F-150
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 09:46 PM
Lifer

I have the same and love it. Mine is the stainless with black grips in .45ACP and night sights. Best pistol that I have owned..along with the Ultra Covert II.
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 11:41 PM
Time Served

Nice. I am really starting to like those Ultra Covert II's as a carry gun. I became an instant Kimber fan when I bought my Eclipse Pro II. Love that gun. OP nice ultra carry.
post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 06:41 PM
dee
Lifer

I want the CDP ultra so it can match my full frame CDP.
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Packin' up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTexas_V-Star View Post
You sound just like me man! I traded my XD off and got my Kimber about 2 weeks ago. I went with the Custom Compact, though (4" gun instead of 3")

I'm very happy with it.
I started off shooting the XDs, but one thing I like it that the Kimber feels a lot thinner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davbrucas View Post
I have the same and love it. Mine is the stainless with black grips in .45ACP and night sights. Best pistol that I have owned..along with the Ultra Covert II.
Do you think night sights are a must? Right now I just have the standard black sights.
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 06:57 PM
Fear the lawn gnome

I sold off my stainless ucs. I need to replace it with another. Mine had a few issues i didnt like that where cosmetic. It had the dreaded ftf when the rounds where coming in contact with the safety on the way up. It would only start acting up at about 50-60 rounds. It also would start throwing shells at my head once it started to get dirty at a range trip as well. The extractor was set up correctly when fresh and clean. It would start doing that at about a 100 rounds.

I really wanted the uc2 cdp even tho i hate the ambi safety on them and the bi tone. But the melt and checkering and other things i do like. I hope i'll end up with my grandmothers snub nose 38 from the early 80's. Until i get serious about getting the cdp. Right now i walk out the door with nothing

What you might call solitude is something i look forward to.
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 09:01 PM
Time Served

I have four Kimbers now

Three ultras

Crimson Trace

SIS version

and a Custom Raptor

I love these guns! However my favorite Kimber is my stainless Procarry II

They are great guns and sure do feel sweet!

"I drank What!?" Socrates

1991 Miata (daily driver)
1991 SCCA Spec Miata #22
2000 F250 Turbo Diesel (Tow Mule)
2007 Saleen SC281 (Open Road Racer)

Last edited by RedPony07; 05-19-2010 at 09:01 PM. Reason: I can't spell for shit!
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 08:17 AM
Lifer

I have two Kimbers (stainless UCII and Eclipse Pro II) and I love them, but I still carry my Colt Officers in stainless everyday.

2001 Mustang Bullitt GT #5111 367.6rwhp/378.4rwtq
2004 Black Lightning #789 STOCK: 363.1rwhp/444.8rwtq
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 10:08 AM
600 plus a few

How would you compare your USPc to the Kimber? I know its apples and oranges, but what are your opinions? I have a USPc .40 right now as my carry and was looking at a 1911. Wasn't sure if I wanted to replace my USP and have the 1911 as a carry or not.

Buy my car! https://www.dfwstangs.net/classifieds...product=124819

some people are like slinkies; they're completely useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Packin' up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BottleRocket View Post
How would you compare your USPc to the Kimber? I know its apples and oranges, but what are your opinions? I have a USPc .40 right now as my carry and was looking at a 1911. Wasn't sure if I wanted to replace my USP and have the 1911 as a carry or not.
I never shot the USPc, mainly just used it for a trade. My mits aren't too big so the Kimber fits me much better. I remember I had some issues reach the slide release with my thumb unless I really reached out.

The USPc is about an inch longer overall than the UCII, but I remember you being a tall guy.

I think it's really best that you just shoot one and see if you like it. More than welcome to give mine a blast...
post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 11:02 AM
Banned

I love my Kimber too-

post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 11:32 AM
mannish boy

Quote:

you don't need a paperclip... once you index the spring properly, you can field strip the thing quicker without the tool than WITH it...

there's a video on youtube explaining it
post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 08:27 AM
Every day is.............

Sponsored Links
Advertisement