I'm in love with Kimber - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Packin' up...
 
Skidmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 18,736
I'm in love with Kimber

Well, I recently sold my XD in looking for a 1911. I picked up a full size Springfield 1911 with the thoughts of carrying it and decided it was a bit too large for my comfort. I traded it off for an H&K USP Compact .45 and today traded that for a Kimber Ultra Carry II. Not bad in a weeks worth of time.

I feel like I got a really good deal on it as the only original money I had used was to purchase the 1911, and it was a fair deal.

The only thing wrong with the Kimber is that some of the bluing on the safety has rubbed off. I priced them at 25 bucks from Kimber, but the more I think about it, what's the point? This will be my carry anyways...

Just kind of rambling. I'm finally in a spot where I love my rifle and handgun, so I can stop moving shit around to be content.


Skidmark is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 02:20 PM
I Я Invizabul
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Candyland
Posts: 4,909
I had the same issue with the safety on mine ... I just think they use crappy paint on the MIM parts. Best bet is to fit a better safety if you want to fix it. Look at wilson combat, you can get a good single side safety from them for about $32 and it is NOT a shitty MIM part.

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/a_thumb_...s_tactical.asp

I would stay away from ambi safetys on a 1911 if you are a righty. They have a tendency to get knocked off when carrying. Nothing sucks more IMO than finding out your single action pistol was ready to belch fire if handled slightly wrong.
Pokulski-Blatz is offline  
post #3 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 02:25 PM
Punk Ass Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
I had the same issue with the safety on mine ... I just think they use crappy paint on the MIM parts. Best bet is to fit a better safety if you want to fix it. Look at wilson combat, you can get a good single side safety from them for about $32 and it is NOT a shitty MIM part.

http://www.wilsoncombat.com/a_thumb_...s_tactical.asp

I would stay away from ambi safetys on a 1911 if you are a righty. They have a tendency to get knocked off when carrying. Nothing sucks more IMO than finding out your single action pistol was ready to belch fire if handled slightly wrong.
What he said...

06 Evo MR *toy*
89 LX 5.0 *toy*
2010 Kia Soul *wifes car*
00 GS400 *daily driver/toy...*
03 BMW 745iL *daily driver/toy*
gonecampin is offline  
 
post #4 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Packin' up...
 
Skidmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 18,736
Thanks for the info and link. I've got no interest in going with an ambi safety...

Is this safety a drop in replacement?
Skidmark is offline  
post #5 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 02:30 PM
I Я Invizabul
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Candyland
Posts: 4,909
Something else I always like to change out on these is the mag catch .. I like to be able to detail strip my pistols pretty easy so I change out the catch on the Kimbers to a style that uses a flat blade screwdriver instead of a allen to remove. Makes things a ton faster for me.

I also got in the habit of keeping a paper clip in my pocket to help me field strip the gun should I need to for any reason. Getting the recoil spring assembly out of there is next to imposable without something to stick in that hole.
Pokulski-Blatz is offline  
post #6 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 02:31 PM
I Я Invizabul
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Candyland
Posts: 4,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmark View Post
Thanks for the info and link. I've got no interest in going with an ambi safety...

Is this safety a drop in replacement?
It is not drop in but it is super easy to do. I think I spent a whole 15-20 minutes doing mine. If you like I could give ya a hand with it one of these days. All it takes is a small file and some time.
Pokulski-Blatz is offline  
post #7 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Packin' up...
 
Skidmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 18,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
Something else I always like to change out on these is the mag catch .. I like to be able to detail strip my pistols pretty easy so I change out the catch on the Kimbers to a style that uses a flat blade screwdriver instead of a allen to remove. Makes things a ton faster for me.

I also got in the habit of keeping a paper clip in my pocket to help me field strip the gun should I need to for any reason. Getting the recoil spring assembly out of there is next to imposable without something to stick in that hole.
Thanks for the info.

Yea I tore it down just a moment ago. I started grinding down a small hex tool, but it became a pain in my ass. I found a paper clip and bent it as needed and threw it in the box w/ the kimber.

The gun was cleaned up on the outside, but the inside was a little dirty. I've noticed in my past 3 firearm transactions that people do not clean them before meeting up, it's annoying.
Skidmark is offline  
post #8 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 02:38 PM
I Я Invizabul
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Candyland
Posts: 4,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmark View Post
Thanks for the info.

Yea I tore it down just a moment ago. I started grinding down a small hex tool, but it became a pain in my ass. I found a paper clip and bent it as needed and threw it in the box w/ the kimber.

The gun was cleaned up on the outside, but the inside was a little dirty. I've noticed in my past 3 firearm transactions that people do not clean them before meeting up, it's annoying.
I never mind cleaning a new gun. Lets me learn how it works. Detail strip the hell out of that bitch and clean EVERYTHING. Might want to look into something like gun butter or wilson combat ultma lube for the rails. I prefer grease for the slide and oil for the barrel and other parts cause it lasts longer when carrying it. It seems every time I skip the grease it drys up in a week or so.
Pokulski-Blatz is offline  
post #9 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Packin' up...
 
Skidmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 18,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
I never mind cleaning a new gun. Lets me learn how it works. Detail strip the hell out of that bitch and clean EVERYTHING. Might want to look into something like gun butter or wilson combat ultma lube for the rails. I prefer grease for the slide and oil for the barrel and other parts cause it lasts longer when carrying it. It seems every time I skip the grease it drys up in a week or so.
Yea, I mean i'm going to clean it anyways, I just think it's weird of people. Good idea on the rails. Coming from mostly polymer firearms, that's a good pointer.

I can't wait to go shoot this thing!
Skidmark is offline  
post #10 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 02:43 PM
I Я Invizabul
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Candyland
Posts: 4,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmark View Post
Yea, I mean i'm going to clean it anyways, I just think it's weird of people. Good idea on the rails. Coming from mostly polymer firearms, that's a good pointer.

I can't wait to go shoot this thing!
When ya get a chance bring it by and Ill see what I can do on it. Have you detail stripped a 1911 before?
Pokulski-Blatz is offline  
post #11 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Packin' up...
 
Skidmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 18,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
When ya get a chance bring it by and Ill see what I can do on it. Have you detail stripped a 1911 before?
Nope. Farthest point I've taken them is removing the slide, barrel, spring, and side grips. I've never messed with the rest. I guess i'm gonna go ahead and order the wilson part and then bug you when I get it.
Skidmark is offline  
post #12 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 02:50 PM
I Я Invizabul
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Candyland
Posts: 4,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmark View Post
Nope. Farthest point I've taken them is removing the slide, barrel, spring, and side grips. I've never messed with the rest. I guess i'm gonna go ahead and order the wilson part and then bug you when I get it.
Sounds like a plan man!
Pokulski-Blatz is offline  
post #13 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 03:03 PM
<Insert Title Here>
 
IHaveAMustang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Grand Prairie, TX
Posts: 2,040
Man those are some gorgeous guns, and I would like the smaller framed one for a concealed carry, but $850 - $900 for one!!

...ugh




IHaveAMustang is offline  
post #14 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 03:15 PM
GROWED UP WRONG
 
Chopped54's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: The Box Babies Come In
Posts: 7,413
Yep, I love my Kimber UC II!
Chopped54 is offline  
post #15 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 04:09 PM
I Я Invizabul
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Candyland
Posts: 4,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHaveAMustang View Post
Man those are some gorgeous guns, and I would like the smaller framed one for a concealed carry, but $850 - $900 for one!!

...ugh
Shop around for a good used one. I paid less than $700 for my Kimbers.
Pokulski-Blatz is offline  
post #16 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 04:40 PM Thread Starter
Packin' up...
 
Skidmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 18,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
Shop around for a good used one. I paid less than $700 for my Kimbers.
Agreed, I have less than $700 in mine after trading around too...
Skidmark is offline  
post #17 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 04:47 PM
I Я Invizabul
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Candyland
Posts: 4,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmark View Post
Agreed, I have less than $700 in mine after trading around too...
About 2 years ago I was seeing used ones for about $500-$550. They were the early series 2 design with the external extractor though.
Pokulski-Blatz is offline  
post #18 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Packin' up...
 
Skidmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 18,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
About 2 years ago I was seeing used ones for about $500-$550. They were the early series 2 design with the external extractor though.
If I can get my hands on another H&K USP Compact .45, ~600-650, I can trade it straight up for a fella with a ultra carry w/ 3 mags. Trying to find one now to purchase like today...
Skidmark is offline  
post #19 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 05:09 PM
I Я Invizabul
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Candyland
Posts: 4,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmark View Post
If I can get my hands on another H&K USP Compact .45, ~600-650, I can trade it straight up for a fella with a ultra carry w/ 3 mags. Trying to find one now to purchase like today...
http://www.outdoorstrader.com/viewad...40890664100073

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=7&f=88&t=764060
Pokulski-Blatz is offline  
post #20 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 08:02 PM
Slingin rock on da corner
 
NTexas_V-Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sherman TX
Posts: 3,451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmark View Post
Well, I recently sold my XD in looking for a 1911. I picked up a full size Springfield 1911 with the thoughts of carrying it and decided it was a bit too large for my comfort. I traded it off for an H&K USP Compact .45 and today traded that for a Kimber Ultra Carry II. Not bad in a weeks worth of time.

I feel like I got a really good deal on it as the only original money I had used was to purchase the 1911, and it was a fair deal.

The only thing wrong with the Kimber is that some of the bluing on the safety has rubbed off. I priced them at 25 bucks from Kimber, but the more I think about it, what's the point? This will be my carry anyways...

Just kind of rambling. I'm finally in a spot where I love my rifle and handgun, so I can stop moving shit around to be content.


You sound just like me man! I traded my XD off and got my Kimber about 2 weeks ago. I went with the Custom Compact, though (4" gun instead of 3")

I'm very happy with it.

Remember, some people are alive simply because it is illegal to kill them.


God Bless our Troops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Prez
my excuse is i dont give a fuck...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMCev View Post
sass me again and see what happens...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yale View Post
I knew you were a titty hating fag the moment I met you.

2007 Harley Davidson Street Bob
2003 King Ranch F-150
NTexas_V-Star is offline  
post #21 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 08:03 PM
Slingin rock on da corner
 
NTexas_V-Star's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Sherman TX
Posts: 3,451
Don't get me wrong though, I love XD's, and Springfield in general...in fact, my nightstand gun is a 5" XD .45

But for carry duty, the Kimber is the best I've had so far out of several different weapons.

Remember, some people are alive simply because it is illegal to kill them.


God Bless our Troops

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da Prez
my excuse is i dont give a fuck...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMCev View Post
sass me again and see what happens...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yale View Post
I knew you were a titty hating fag the moment I met you.

2007 Harley Davidson Street Bob
2003 King Ranch F-150
NTexas_V-Star is offline  
post #22 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 09:46 PM
Lifer
 
davbrucas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Houston
Posts: 8,841
I have the same and love it. Mine is the stainless with black grips in .45ACP and night sights. Best pistol that I have owned..along with the Ultra Covert II.
davbrucas is offline  
post #23 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-18-2010, 11:41 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 100
Nice. I am really starting to like those Ultra Covert II's as a carry gun. I became an instant Kimber fan when I bought my Eclipse Pro II. Love that gun. OP nice ultra carry.
Eagles2suprbowl is offline  
post #24 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 06:41 PM
dee
Lifer
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,188
I want the CDP ultra so it can match my full frame CDP.
dee is offline  
post #25 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 06:50 PM Thread Starter
Packin' up...
 
Skidmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 18,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTexas_V-Star View Post
You sound just like me man! I traded my XD off and got my Kimber about 2 weeks ago. I went with the Custom Compact, though (4" gun instead of 3")

I'm very happy with it.
I started off shooting the XDs, but one thing I like it that the Kimber feels a lot thinner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davbrucas View Post
I have the same and love it. Mine is the stainless with black grips in .45ACP and night sights. Best pistol that I have owned..along with the Ultra Covert II.
Do you think night sights are a must? Right now I just have the standard black sights.
Skidmark is offline  
post #26 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 06:57 PM
Fear the lawn gnome
 
sleeperLS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: if you want it blown up let me have it.
Posts: 4,535
I sold off my stainless ucs. I need to replace it with another. Mine had a few issues i didnt like that where cosmetic. It had the dreaded ftf when the rounds where coming in contact with the safety on the way up. It would only start acting up at about 50-60 rounds. It also would start throwing shells at my head once it started to get dirty at a range trip as well. The extractor was set up correctly when fresh and clean. It would start doing that at about a 100 rounds.

I really wanted the uc2 cdp even tho i hate the ambi safety on them and the bi tone. But the melt and checkering and other things i do like. I hope i'll end up with my grandmothers snub nose 38 from the early 80's. Until i get serious about getting the cdp. Right now i walk out the door with nothing

What you might call solitude is something i look forward to.
sleeperLS is offline  
post #27 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 09:01 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Fort Stockton
Posts: 148
I have four Kimbers now

Three ultras

Crimson Trace

SIS version

and a Custom Raptor

I love these guns! However my favorite Kimber is my stainless Procarry II

They are great guns and sure do feel sweet!

"I drank What!?" Socrates

1991 Miata (daily driver)
1991 SCCA Spec Miata #22
2000 F250 Turbo Diesel (Tow Mule)
2007 Saleen SC281 (Open Road Racer)

Last edited by RedPony07; 05-19-2010 at 09:01 PM. Reason: I can't spell for shit!
RedPony07 is offline  
post #28 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 08:17 AM
Lifer
 
5111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Arlington
Posts: 2,298
I have two Kimbers (stainless UCII and Eclipse Pro II) and I love them, but I still carry my Colt Officers in stainless everyday.

2001 Mustang Bullitt GT #5111 367.6rwhp/378.4rwtq
2004 Black Lightning #789 STOCK: 363.1rwhp/444.8rwtq
5111 is offline  
post #29 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 10:08 AM
600 plus a few
 
BottleRocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Westchester, the best Chester
Posts: 7,278
How would you compare your USPc to the Kimber? I know its apples and oranges, but what are your opinions? I have a USPc .40 right now as my carry and was looking at a 1911. Wasn't sure if I wanted to replace my USP and have the 1911 as a carry or not.

Buy my car! https://www.dfwstangs.net/classifieds...product=124819



some people are like slinkies; they're completely useless, but still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
BottleRocket is offline  
post #30 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Packin' up...
 
Skidmark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 18,736
Quote:
Originally Posted by BottleRocket View Post
How would you compare your USPc to the Kimber? I know its apples and oranges, but what are your opinions? I have a USPc .40 right now as my carry and was looking at a 1911. Wasn't sure if I wanted to replace my USP and have the 1911 as a carry or not.
I never shot the USPc, mainly just used it for a trade. My mits aren't too big so the Kimber fits me much better. I remember I had some issues reach the slide release with my thumb unless I really reached out.

The USPc is about an inch longer overall than the UCII, but I remember you being a tall guy.

I think it's really best that you just shoot one and see if you like it. More than welcome to give mine a blast...
Skidmark is offline  
post #32 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 11:02 AM
Banned
 
DOHCTR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Waco
Posts: 5,539
I love my Kimber too-




DOHCTR is offline  
post #33 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 11:32 AM
mannish boy
 
Cooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: drunk on diesel
Posts: 31,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
Something else I always like to change out on these is the mag catch .. I like to be able to detail strip my pistols pretty easy so I change out the catch on the Kimbers to a style that uses a flat blade screwdriver instead of a allen to remove. Makes things a ton faster for me.

I also got in the habit of keeping a paper clip in my pocket to help me field strip the gun should I need to for any reason. Getting the recoil spring assembly out of there is next to imposable without something to stick in that hole.
you don't need a paperclip... once you index the spring properly, you can field strip the thing quicker without the tool than WITH it...

there's a video on youtube explaining it
Cooter is offline  
post #34 of 34 (permalink) Old 05-21-2010, 08:27 AM
Every day is.............
 
cobrajet69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Keller
Posts: 9,150
cobrajet69 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome