Purpose-built armored truck shot with Ak-47 - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Purpose-built armored truck shot with Ak-47

http://jalopnik.com/5532727/armored-...ady-for-battle

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhIhZ...layer_embedded

Despite looking like the bastard spawn of a Nissan Titan and a Toyota Hilux, the Indigen NSTT is actually a ground-up design intended to cart special forces soldiers through any terrain at high speed while hauling gear and deflecting bullets.

Thanks to a 570 Lb-Ft NaviStar 6.0-liter diesel V8, the NSTT can reach 103 MPH, while fully independent suspension and huge departure and approach angles allow it to climb slopes of up to a 60 percent grade and traverse 40 percent side slopes. It's also bullet proof, able to withstand shots from an AK-47, as evidenced by this video. [via PickupTrucks.com]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 04:31 PM
Banned

Very cool!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 04:45 PM
Baller

Not that valuable in my opinion until they throw a V-Hull and some Belly armour on there to make it withstand an IED blast, even at 103 you can't outrun an IED. And just body armour can withstand an AK...I think the truck will have to withstand much more to be useful on the battlefield.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 07:28 PM
Time Served

I hope they studded the heads, and deleted the egr system.

"It's very dangerous to wave to people you don't know. Because what if they don't have hands? They'll think you're cocky."
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 08:08 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffdaddy View Post
Not that valuable in my opinion
Yea I thought the same. should have called it the extreme tactical truck.

gave me a chuckle that it's an off road vehicle with only 9" of ground clearance
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 08:42 PM
Arbeit Macht Frei

Quote:
Originally Posted by GADDIS View Post
LOL, no shit, shame the vehicle is disabled by the piece of shit engine instead of a bullet/IED/etc

"Wealth Dies, Kinsman Die, A man himself must likewise die; But word-fame, Never dies, For him who achieves it well"
-Hávamál-

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 11:07 PM
Worship me

Why would you armor up an off road vehicle to withstand IEDs when those IEDs are used on roads?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-10-2010, 06:35 PM
Baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P View Post
Why would you armor up an off road vehicle to withstand IEDs when those IEDs are used on roads?
You must not be too in the loop on defense equipment and development. Look at the most recent vehicles to come out...MRAP, LAV-25, Stryker, and all of the new tanks proposed currently are V-Hull. All of those are off road vehicles. Ask anyone who works in the defense industry. No vehicle is developed for ONLY off road use...This will see a road, and that road will be a danger point.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 12:32 AM
Time Served

I think they should redo the test with a 50 cal rifle.....
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 04:12 AM
Lifer

Quote:
You must not be too in the loop on defense equipment and development. Look at the most recent vehicles to come out...MRAP, LAV-25, Stryker, and all of the new tanks proposed currently are V-Hull. All of those are off road vehicles. Ask anyone who works in the defense industry. No vehicle is developed for ONLY off road use...This will see a road, and that road will be a danger point.
Stryker and LAV have been out before the induction of the IED on the battle field.

I am huge fan of the LAV but that comes from being a Marine who used to ride, drive and fix them for a living.

I have a uparmored Toyota Landcruiser that I use out here, it sucks big ass on rough off road but plains and hills are okay. The truck just does not have the power to push the 13,000 pounds around. 4 low is okay in the mud and snow though. Obviously I have a standard chassis and not a V hull so IEDs would toss it like a rag doll.

I can tell you that MRAP is a horrible off road vehicle but does a GREAT job at keeping our troops safe. The torque converter and gearing are not paired well with it's weight but once it gets moving they do just fine.

We don't have much for paved roads and 90% of the driving out here is done on improved trails and paths......it is always dangerous.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 04:18 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P View Post
Don't forget that out of the two war zones we are in right now one of them is the most heavily mined country in the world, Afghanistan. The armor will help.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 10:21 AM
T-MINUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GADDIS View Post
No shit! I miss my Ford, but the heads and EGR are pure shit.

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 10:59 AM
Worship me

Quote:
I guess the guys at Indigen armour, who designed the truck must not know as much as you do. You should send them an email and let them know that you are an engineer that just got out of school and, therefore, know everything.

"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order." - Ed Howdershelt
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-11-2010, 04:35 PM
reo
Lima Lima Mike Foxtrot

It doesn't look bad, although I'm curious as to what its targeted use is. To replace the up-armored suburbans and such we have troops regularly using right now, I think this vehicle has that nailed down. To replace the humvee, not sure if its up to task. And obviously, its not set up to even think of tackling the MRAPs, although I wish there was something better. I could see this becoming a modulated vehicle that can be used in various conditions, which would be cool. I noticed that it was stated that the truck could defeat several of the IED threats out there. What size IED are they referring to? What about EFPs? I use to have a scale of what vehicles can survive what size of IED, in addition to the experience I have from being overseas and dealing with these threats. I honestly think the setup that vehicle is running is not much better than the humvee, and has yet to factor in the addition of the various equipment our vehicles now carry standard. I remember when I first enlisted, I thought humvees had insane amounts of room in them, but by the time I got to overseas, I found that it was very crowded and packed once you were set up to do a mission.

Like I stated, for what purpose is this truck for?

-Eric

Official Adrenaline Donor
1971 Chevy C-10 LWB - 350/350 with some fun parts.
1999 GMC 2500 LWB

"Why do they call this route the 'Widowmaker'?"
"I'm not sure, maybe route 'Oh God we're all going to die' was taken..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement