Why do they restrict where we can carry? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Where is Ms. Right?

Why do they restrict where we can carry?

You hear about crazy people shooting and killing people all the time. So why are we not allowed to carry in bars, school, hospitals, and all the other places.

Think about it. Criminals don't respect the law. They're safer if they open fire at a bar or a school than if they opened fire at Wal Mart. Why? Because they know that we, the law abiding citizens, can't carry a weapon there.

Does anyone agree?

"Don't be with someone you can live with, be with someone you can't live without"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 04:18 PM
Banned

I can understand bars...

But really, it pisses me off that I cannot carry at school. I am 21, possessed of a concealed handgun license, and even in the wake of massacres like Virginia Tech I am not allowed to carry. You would think at Baylor, a private university they wouldnt care as much.

The other day I thought about it. I was sitting in class and heard a loud ass boom outside. Made me think, "damn, some crazy asshole could just start opening up on everybody here, and we wouldnt have a chance". Kind of scared me. I wish that at least professors could carry.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 04:24 PM
Lifer

I agree 100%. I agree with no carry with any BAC or in a bar but otherwise there is no good reason.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 05:29 PM
Lifer

Yes, I disagree with the campus thing. The only thing I can think of is that they don't want CHL'ers at sporting events because emotions can run high. They probably don't want them there, and I don't think they could make a rule of having them on campus, but not sporting events.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 05:29 PM
None

Just don't get caught. If you are carrying it right - concealed - then you have nothing to worry about. You may have a legal issue if you have to discharge your firearm in a restricted area, but which would you rather be?

Dead - but within the law.

Alive - and able to hire a lawyer.

Seems to be a simple choice for areas without proactive detection methods (metal detectors, searches).
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 05:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
Just don't get caught. If you are carrying it right - concealed - then you have nothing to worry about. You may have a legal issue if you have to discharge your firearm in a restricted area, but which would you rather be?

Seems to be a simple choice for areas without proactive detection methods (metal detectors, searches).
That sounds fine and good and all, but I just could not bring myself to carry a gun illegally to school. I would be constantly worried about it and conscious of its presence.

But seriously, I think a fair compromise would be letting the professors carry. That, or station a campus police officer in every room at all times, lol.
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 06:02 PM
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi View Post

X2! Rather be judged by twelve than carried by 6.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 06:14 PM
dee
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCTR View Post
I can understand bars...

But really, it pisses me off that I cannot carry at school. I am 21, possessed of a concealed handgun license, and even in the wake of massacres like Virginia Tech I am not allowed to carry. You would think at Baylor, a private university they wouldnt care as much.

The other day I thought about it. I was sitting in class and heard a loud ass boom outside. Made me think, "damn, some crazy asshole could just start opening up on everybody here, and we wouldnt have a chance". Kind of scared me. I wish that at least professors could carry.
Oh, Baylor is in a great neighborhood nothing bad ever happens there.

BTW I agree carry on campus should be allowed. There was a pretty big controversy around here a while back when a lil small town has allowed teachers to carry.
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 06:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee View Post
LMAO

18th highest murder rate in the US I believe.
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 06:21 PM
dee
Lifer

Quote:
LMAO

18th highest murder rate in the US I believe.
Yea something like that, real classy side of town.
post #11 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 06:55 PM
Time Served

Short answer is almost all gun laws are based on fear and not fact. Open carry is a good example as is carrying in a bar. You can carry concealed in a bar in Colorado and no more bad things happen in Colorado bars than anywhere else. Pick almost any gun law and you will find fear or ignorance as it’s basis.

Wayne in FW

Last edited by Falcongunner; 04-22-2010 at 08:24 PM.
post #12 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 08:44 PM
Lifer

Quote:

But seriously, I think a fair compromise would be letting the professors carry. That, or station a campus police officer in every room at all times, lol.
The mere thought of liberal professors carrying makes me twinge.
post #13 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 09:24 PM
Rhabdomyolysis anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcongunner View Post
Short answer is almost all gun laws are based on fear and not fact. Open carry is a good example as is carrying in a bar. You can carry concealed in a bar in Colorado and no more bad things happen in Colorado bars than anywhere else. Pick almost any gun law and you will find fear or ignorance as its basis.

Wayne in FW

Right on Wayne.

If you can be trusted to carry walking in the mall with men women and children, having been investigated by the FBI, then why limit it?

Crossfit.com <--- no wimps allowed
post #14 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-22-2010, 09:52 PM
Fear the lawn gnome

the only restriction on my iowa chl is under the influence of any drugs or alcohol. As long as the legal sign isnt posted they can all kiss my ass.

What you might call solitude is something i look forward to.
post #15 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 12:25 AM
#4 Best QB Ever

I disagree on bars. I go to bars frequently and I don't drink or get into any situations where I shouldn't have a gun. I still agree on not being able to carry while intoxicated. Also, schools is BS. There is no reason why anybody that's issued a CHL and can legally carry should not be allowed to legally carry at school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post
Yes, I disagree with the campus thing. The only thing I can think of is that they don't want CHL'ers at sporting events because emotions can run high. They probably don't want them there, and I don't think they could make a rule of having them on campus, but not sporting events.
It's already illegal to carry at a sporting event:
Quote:
(2) on the premises where a high school, collegiate, or professional sporting event or interscholastic event is taking place, unless the license holder is a participant in the event and a handgun is used in the event;
Quote:
Why? They most likely wouldn't be carrying, and they definitely wouldn't be pushing their liberal agenda with a gun...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
post #16 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 07:37 AM
African Booty Scratcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee View Post
hell yeah!!! bellmead is super nice!!!!!! swing by sues #2 if you have the chance as well!!! if there isnt a metal detector, bet your ass i am carrying.

god bless.

You don't have to earn my respect, you have to earn my disrespect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Standing in a cell with tears running down your face and blood down your legs is no way to protest.
post #17 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 09:15 AM
duh...duh....duh

Hospitals I get: People are exhausted and may suffer emotional trauma beyond ANYONE's ability to control. I can elaborate if needed, but I think most get this and will agree or disagree.

Schools: I don't get this at all. I do a lot of work at schools and the police are NOT around in the wee hours when I'm having to slip out to my vehicle. Thankfully, most of the school parking lots are not posted. Most of the crimes at community colleges that I know of in this area happen in the later hours. Not in the building when school is in session. Besides, if school shootings occur you'd think have CHL folks maybe handy.

Bars: I get, but a good CHL holder won't be drinking if they are carrying. Heck, it's the law. In theory, not drinking while carrying should supercede the 51% law.

Sporting Events: I disagree with this part as well. Although, I work in an office full of CHL holders and 1 of them agrees with it. HE gets overly excited at sporting events, my argument to him is maybe he should not have a CHL if he can't control his emotions.

My '03 Sold.
post #18 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 09:33 AM
Time Served

Quote:
My brother is a liberal professor and I tried to get him to carry. He did not have a problem with keeping the guns that I gave him at home but asking him to carry around a glock is as repulsive to him as asking you to molest a child is to you.

Gun laws boil down to this:

The left hates anything that will empower the people that they believe are too dumb to make correct decisions for themselves. They pass laws to tell people what to do in the name of protecting them from themselves.

The right can't resist dictating what they believe is right VS wrong and they use the power of government to do so. They pass laws to tell people what to do in the name of protecting them from nameless/faceless boggie men.

I personaly carry everywhere I go legal or not and have done so for more then 25 years.

Rule#2 Double Tap
post #19 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Where is Ms. Right?

Here's a scenario....

What if you were carrying in school, a bar, a hospital or somewhere else where you're not supposed to. Let's say you have a CHL but are carrying it concealed but it's illegal.

Let's say a crazy person walks in to the school or hospital and starts randomly shooting. You, as a CHL holder, but carrying where you're not supposed to, draw your weapon to defend not only yourself but other innocent bystanders.

You take out the gunman. Now what? You're a hero but a criminal at the same time.

What do you see as a likely outcome when this goes to trial?

"Don't be with someone you can live with, be with someone you can't live without"
post #20 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 11:18 AM
duh...duh....duh

Probably be in jail for awhile, regardless.

My '03 Sold.
post #21 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 05:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
We dont have liberal professors here.

Seriously.

Baylor is quite possibly one of the most conservative Universities in the US. Most of my professors openly slam Obamalama on a regular basis.

Kind of a double edged sword though. If you get caught having sex in a dorm room, you get expelled. Also, as a freshman you are forced to attend mandatory chapel on Monday and Wednesday. That shit sucked.
post #22 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 05:27 PM
Token Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memo View Post
You hear about crazy people shooting and killing people all the time. So why are we not allowed to carry in bars, school, hospitals, and all the other places.

Think about it. Criminals don't respect the law. They're safer if they open fire at a bar or a school than if they opened fire at Wal Mart. Why? Because they know that we, the law abiding citizens, can't carry a weapon there.

Does anyone agree?
You can carry on schools, to a degree. Not in the buildings. Not through fences (areas that are attached to school buildings). Not at sporting events. Not on grounds were school activities are taking place. But you can walk on campus, FWIW.

You can carry at hospitals, unless they have 30.06 posted.

Bars I don't understand because its already illegal to have a firearm under the influence, so as long as you don't drink you should be good to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcongunner View Post
Short answer is almost all gun laws are based on fear and not fact.
QFT!

Quote:
That's an oxymoron...liberal...carrying. Ha!

'05 Redfire Mustang

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey
post #23 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-23-2010, 07:58 PM
None

Quote:
That I'm alive to see a trial.
post #24 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 01:57 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Is_My_El_Camino View Post
I disagree on bars. I go to bars frequently and I don't drink or get into any situations where I shouldn't have a gun. I still agree on not being able to carry while intoxicated. Also, schools is BS. There is no reason why anybody that's issued a CHL and can legally carry should not be allowed to legally carry at school.It's already illegal to carry at a sporting event:Why? They most likely wouldn't be carrying, and they definitely wouldn't be pushing their liberal agenda with a gun...
What about middle school events? I've seen some parents get pretty damn heated over 7th/8th grader's sports.

The thought of professor only carry I'm just not thrilled with. While I realize that most would not choose to carry, I just think some liberals might take advantage of this and somehow twist it to fit their agenda.
post #25 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 02:00 PM
Lifer

Quote:
What if you were carrying in school, a bar, a hospital or somewhere else where you're not supposed to. Let's say you have a CHL but are carrying it concealed but it's illegal.

Let's say a crazy person walks in to the school or hospital and starts randomly shooting. You, as a CHL holder, but carrying where you're not supposed to, draw your weapon to defend not only yourself but other innocent bystanders.

You take out the gunman. Now what? You're a hero but a criminal at the same time.

Either A) the DA declines to accept the case, B) the Grand Jury no bills the case, or C) the jury acquits.
post #26 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-24-2010, 02:06 PM
2-7 and still a fan!

Wait, there are places in this country that you cant carry a concealed gun?

No shit, huh?!?
post #27 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 03:47 AM
#4 Best QB Ever

Quote:
What about middle school events? I've seen some parents get pretty damn heated over 7th/8th grader's sports.
I will give you professional and maybe even college sporting events, because there are some real dumbasses out there that take that shit waaaaay too seriously - and there's generally a little police presence, but I don't agree it shouldn't be legal for a CHL holder to carry at a middle school or high school event. Statistically, CHL holders are much more responsible and even-tempered than the rest of the population.
Quote:
The thought of professor only carry I'm just not thrilled with. While I realize that most would not choose to carry, I just think some liberals might take advantage of this and somehow twist it to fit their agenda.
Oh, I don't think professors only should be allowed to carry at campus, but I don't see (m)any liberal professors carrying, much less using guns to push their liberal agenda.

Quote:
post #28 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 08:43 AM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
Statistically, CHL holders are much more responsible and even-tempered than the rest of the population.
Would not be able to tell that by posts made on here. Sadly, people who are trying to make up their mind read posts like we see on here and the decision is easy.

My '03 Sold.
post #29 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 09:29 AM
Lifer

Why are you guys nit picking on the small issues?

There should be not one gun law. Read 2A. You know the ending where it said, "SHALE NOT BE INFRINGED!"

And it's not about safety, it's not about protecting any one. It's about control, and chipping away at your rights one piece at a time. <---- Go ahead, debunk that!

My only question is, if people actually do figure this out, will they actually do something about the illegal laws on the books?

All men should know Honor first, above all else!

Honor is not holding your hand out for something you did not earn.
Honor is not forcing your ideas, or belief on others.
Honor is not something given to you by way of job, or title.

Honor is learned, earned, practiced and respected by all decent men and women.
post #30 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 10:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz007 View Post
There should be not one gun law.
I disagree completely. I like that felons cant buy guns. Also I think the National Firearms Act is a half decent piece of legislation (but I hate the Hughes Amendment).
post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 01:20 PM
duh...duh....duh

Quote:
I disagree completely. I like that felons cant buy guns. Also I think the National Firearms Act is a half decent piece of legislation (but I hate the Hughes Amendment).
Problem is a felon can't buy a new gun, but a felon can get a gun regardless of ANY laws put into place. I'm of the opinion that defeats the purpose of any kind of gun control.

My '03 Sold.
post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 01:58 PM
Time Served

Quote:
I don't agree with that at all. I believe that felons should not be allowed to own guns while in prison, on parole or probation, or on any type of state supervision. Once the state is done with them they should have the same rights as everyone else.

You are overlooking a HUGE issue when it comes to not allowing felons to own guns in that you are assuming that the government has the right to say who can and can't have the means to defend themselves. Once you agree that the government has that right it will be just a mater of time before they take away your right to be armed.

What will you think when a feminist backed law gets passed that says that it is a felony to own a gun if you are a man? How about making it a felony to posses a gun if you have outstanding traffic warrants or a DWI conviction? There is already a law on the books that effectively says that you can't posses a gun if you are going through a divorce. It rarely gets enforced but I know of a few cases where men are in prison because of it. Or how about the New Jersey law that makes owning hollow point hand gun bullets a felony?

Rule#2 Double Tap
post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 02:22 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo855 View Post
I don't agree with that at all. I believe that felons should not be allowed to own guns while in prison, on parole or probation, or on any type of state supervision. Once the state is done with them they should have the same rights as everyone else.

You are overlooking a HUGE issue when it comes to not allowing felons to own guns in that you are assuming that the government has the right to say who can and can't have the means to defend themselves. Once you agree that the government has that right it will be just a mater of time before they take away your right to be armed.

What will you think when a feminist backed law gets passed that says that it is a felony to own a gun if you are a man? How about making it a felony to posses a gun if you have outstanding traffic warrants or a DWI conviction? There is already a law on the books that effectively says that you can't posses a gun if you are going through a divorce. It rarely gets enforced but I know of a few cases where men are in prison because of it. Or how about the New Jersey law that makes owning hollow point hand gun bullets a felony?
I am on the fence with this one. I believe some people that serve their time can and do turn themselves around. I know a handful that are very successful guys that are self employed, extremely religious, and are very upstanding people that praise the discipline the federal penal system instilled in them. I also understand the great amount of repeat offenders and how banning all felons from owning weapons insures any thoughts of mischief are ended before they begin. However, we all know the only people that are affected by laws are the ones that follow them. I can't place myself firmly on either side of the fence, but I do understand the arguments that felons should be able to own weapons in some situations simply because I believe people that make mistakes, acknowledge them, and do successfully turn their lives around should eventually return to the community as full fledged citizens of this country. However, with knowledge that our government is terribly inefficient, slow and ever growing, I find myself reluctant to place even more responsibility on law enforcement to enforce this kind of individual discretion.
post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 09:41 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

Quote:
What will you think when a feminist backed law gets passed that says that it is a felony to own a gun if you are a man? How about making it a felony to posses a gun if you have outstanding traffic warrants or a DWI conviction?
The chance of those laws even being considered is ridiculous. I get your point, and I agree we don't need any more gun laws taking away or restricting our rights, but that's a huge, unrealistic stretch.
Quote:
There is already a law on the books that effectively says that you can't posses a gun if you are going through a divorce. It rarely gets enforced but I know of a few cases where men are in prison because of it.
Do you have a link to this law?
Quote:
Or how about the New Jersey law that makes owning hollow point hand gun bullets a felony?
Or this one? I believe this one a little more though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
I am on the fence with this one. I believe some people that serve their time can and do turn themselves around. I know a handful that are very successful guys that are self employed, extremely religious, and are very upstanding people that praise the discipline the federal penal system instilled in them. I also understand the great amount of repeat offenders and how banning all felons from owning weapons insures any thoughts of mischief are ended before they begin. However, we all know the only people that are affected by laws are the ones that follow them. I can't place myself firmly on either side of the fence, but I do understand the arguments that felons should be able to own weapons in some situations simply because I believe people that make mistakes, acknowledge them, and do successfully turn their lives around should eventually return to the community as full fledged citizens of this country. However, with knowledge that our government is terribly inefficient, slow and ever growing, I find myself reluctant to place even more responsibility on law enforcement to enforce this kind of individual discretion.
This.

Quote:
post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 01:09 AM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Like GhostTX said...hospitals, nursing homes and dr offices are legal carry unless they have a 30.06 posted.

Isnt there a state taht allows carry on campus? Idaho or Utah...something like that.

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 02:03 AM
#4 Best QB Ever

IIRC, Virginia does but VT chose not to allow it.

Quote:
post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 01:49 PM
Token Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mpg View Post
Like GhostTX said...hospitals, nursing homes and dr offices are legal carry unless they have a 30.06 posted.

Isnt there a state taht allows carry on campus? Idaho or Utah...something like that.
Utah does.

'05 Redfire Mustang

post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 10:30 AM
Time Served

Quote:
The chance of those laws even being considered is ridiculous. I get your point, and I agree we don't need any more gun laws taking away or restricting our rights, but that's a huge, unrealistic stretch.Do you have a link to this law?Or this one? I believe this one a little more though.This.
Here is the New Jersey law; I'll have to find the others but I'll post them in a few days.

New Jersey also prohibits the knowing possession of any hollow nose or dum-dum bullet. N.J. Stat. Ann. 2C:39-3(f). Hollow nose or dum-dum are terms associated with bullets designed to expand on impact. These terms are not specifically defined under New Jersey law.

Rule#2 Double Tap
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-28-2010, 12:01 PM
Token Troll

Quote:
Here is the New Jersey law; I'll have to find the others but I'll post them in a few days.

New Jersey also prohibits the knowing possession of any hollow nose or dum-dum bullet. N.J. Stat. Ann. 2C:39-3(f). Hollow nose or dum-dum are terms associated with bullets designed to expand on impact. These terms are not specifically defined under New Jersey law.
I'd love to know the logic in that. Let's just shoot bullets that keep going and going and going....

'05 Redfire Mustang

post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 07:52 PM
Lifer

Quote:

You can disagree all you want too, but until 2A is changed, any and all gun laws are constitutionally illegal, period!

So what do you have against non violent felons?

Did you know there was a bill floating around in congress that would make you a felon if you got caught pissing on the side of the road, even if no one seen your private parts? How would you feel about the felon part, if that bill had been signed into law?

All men should know Honor first, above all else!

Honor is not holding your hand out for something you did not earn.
Honor is not forcing your ideas, or belief on others.
Honor is not something given to you by way of job, or title.

Honor is learned, earned, practiced and respected by all decent men and women.
post #41 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 08:58 PM
Time Served

Quote:
I was thinking that glad you said it!

"I drank What!?" Socrates

1991 Miata (daily driver)
1991 SCCA Spec Miata #22
2000 F250 Turbo Diesel (Tow Mule)
2007 Saleen SC281 (Open Road Racer)
post #42 of 42 (permalink) Old 04-29-2010, 10:47 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazz007 View Post
You can disagree all you want too, but until 2A is changed, any and all gun laws are constitutionally illegal, period!

So what do you have against non violent felons?

Did you know there was a bill floating around in congress that would make you a felon if you got caught pissing on the side of the road, even if no one seen your private parts? How would you feel about the felon part, if that bill had been signed into law?
I agree completely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt
Meh...I dunno why she likes it. It's like she put it on a pedestal because it is the gravy of life.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement