Ruger 10/22 - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 11:45 AM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Kid

Ruger 10/22

Going to buy one today.

Not getting the stainless.

I am getting a folding stock and some 25 rnd clips.

What else should I get for as far as acceseries? Going to be at cabelas and Maybe cheaper then dirt.

Next step is ar15.. But don't feel like dropping 600-1200 on a rifle right now.

91 Coupe, off road h, underdrive pulleys, short belt with a/c, electric fans and 3.73s. 3060lbs. Daily driven 20mpg average.

All stock 91 coupe. Stang' Bangin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I just want to smoke weed, be naked, and play video games.That is all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 11:49 AM
Lifer

I don't know about accessories, but I'd get a shitload of ammo. I LOVE the 10-22's! Squirrel hunting with one is more fun than stepping on baby chickens!

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 11:49 AM
Lifer

Norrell trigger pack.

post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 12:10 PM
GROWED UP WRONG

And I would not get a folding stock...

I would go with a decent heavy barrel and a new stock. Houge, Butler Creek, B&C....
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped54 View Post

I would go with a decent heavy barrel and a new stock. Houge, Butler Creek, B&C....
I like the folding stocks.

Had one way back and it was nice.

91 Coupe, off road h, underdrive pulleys, short belt with a/c, electric fans and 3.73s. 3060lbs. Daily driven 20mpg average.

Quote:
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 12:35 PM
Banned

Quote:

^^^what he said.

I would just get a heavier barrel, simple stock, and the most important 10/22 mod you can buy... a new trigger/pack. The stock trigger really hinders accuracy and I would recommend an upgrade.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 07:21 PM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Kid

Quote:
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 07:27 PM
GROWED UP WRONG

Sorry, that looks awful and is going to shoot like shit.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Kid

Quote:
Sorry, that looks awful and is going to shoot like shit.
Just wasted 50 rounds. Shoots pretty good to me.

Looks awful? How lol

Quote:
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 07:33 PM
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxBodyMike View Post

Buy one of these trigger groups for your 10/22 .. YOU WILL LOVE the trigger, although they are expensive these days.

https://www.volquartsen.com/products/204-tg2000

I have a 10/22 Stainless with the Voquartsen Trigger Group, Hogue Stock, and Fluted Stainless Steel Bull Barrel. Thing shoots GREAT!!!

I also recommend the factory 10 shot rotary mags for the gun. They are the most reliable.

2006 Mustang GT
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 07:41 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

I prefer the stainless models because I take it out hunting quite often and it's much nicer to be able to shoot all day without seeing your gun rust all to hell.

You can also refinish the aluminum receivers to remove that shitty paint and get a nice brushed finish.

The voq trigger groups are bad ass, but they are also ridiculously expensive. You can buy another 10/22 for that money. I purchased this trigger from midway on sale for $54.99:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tnumber=269423

it has great ratings, and it really is a very nice trigger. Like many of the reviews on the trigger set, I honestly couldn't tell a difference between the two. Unfortunately it looks as if they no longer carry it, but search for it online, and I'm sure you can find a set.
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 07:45 PM
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
I prefer the stainless models because I take it out hunting quite often and it's much nicer to be able to shoot all day without seeing your gun rust all to hell.
I like stainless 10/22s, however I have had the blued versions in the past and I've yet to have one rust. The receiver on the guns are aluminum and the blue on the barrels will protect it. I'd say 90% of the people out there will clean their gun when they bring it home.

----

Since this is a new 10/22, go out and buy a bunch of different brands of ammo, see what your gun likes. Each gun is different.

For example, my 10/22 LOVES Winchester Super-X ammo. I can hit the freakin staples at 50 yards ... Its fun to shoot, then shoot the 4 staples holding the target up and watch the paper drop. I get some looks out of people when I do this.. They are like HOLY CRAP, that thing is a tack driver.

2006 Mustang GT
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 07:46 PM
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotua View Post
I like stainless 10/22s, however I have had the blued versions in the past and I've yet to have one rust. The receiver on the guns are aluminum and the blue on the barrels will protect it. I'd say 90% of the people out there will clean their gun when they bring it home.

----

Since this is a new 10/22, go out and buy a bunch of different brands of ammo, see what your gun likes. Each gun is different.

For example, my 10/22 LOVES Winchester Super-X ammo. I can hit the freakin staples at 50 yards ... Its fun to shoot, then shoot the 4 staples holding the target up and watch the paper drop. I get some looks out of people when I do this.. They are like HOLY CRAP, that thing is a tack driver.
Both of my buddies I go hunting with have blued 10/22's. And both of them had rust all over their guns after a few hours of rain - that's a few hours into the rain they had rust, not after taking them home, or letting them sit in a tent. Seems as if Ruger may have changed their bluing as of late. Pretty much any .22LR ammo I shoot is accurate. I can hit the cap off a water bottle at 30 yards - with a cheap red dot. All 10/22's are very accurate - and extremely fun. The most accurate .22LR ammo I've found for target use is Federal Champion Match. The most dependable ammo I've found is remington thunderbolt (yes that cheap bargin bin crap).
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 07:47 PM
Old Timer

Quote:
Both of my buddies I go hunting with have blued 10/22's. And both of them had rust all over their guns after a few hours of rain - that's a few hours into the rain they had rust, not after taking them home, or letting them sit in a tent. Seems as if Ruger may have changed their bluing as of late.
I'd believe that. I've noticed the NEW 10/22's have a plastic trigger housing (Obviously to save cost) but the guns cost more...

Last 10/22 I bought NEW was 130 dollars at Oshmans..

2006 Mustang GT
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 07:52 PM
CJ

Quote:
I'd believe that. I've noticed the NEW 10/22's have a plastic trigger housing (Obviously to save cost) but the guns cost more...

Last 10/22 I bought NEW was 130 dollars at Oshmans..
Yep, I have a new stainless model - I believe I paid $189.99 for it at academy. I do have the plastic trigger group - I can't say I like it at all, but it's pretty damn stout ABS plastic, and honestly I had to stare, poke, prod, and concentrate before I was certain it actually was plastic. However, accuracy and reliability remain excellent. The plastic group is the primary reason why I was interested in the voq pack - but the price is just too far out there. As for magazines - let me save you weeks of research - Butler Creek steel lips mags are the very best out there. When you first get them - the first 500-750 or so rounds they will periodically jam on the first 1-3 rounds when they are full. After that they remain absolutely excellent on reliability. They work each time everytime - you just have to wear them in.

Out of all the guns I own - spending money on my 10/22 is the only time I feel completely guilt free. I shoot it and enjoy it more than all of my other guns. I enjoy just relaxing and blasting whatever the hell I want for however long I want to. Also, make sure you get 4-5 25 round magazines and a butler creek quickloader - it will make your life much easier. Me, Cobra, and Fiux sat in lawn chairs leisurely shooting turtles for an entire day straight. It was awesome.
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 08:01 PM
Old Timer

Quote:
Yep, I have a new stainless model - I believe I paid $189.99 for it at academy. I do have the plastic trigger group - I can't say I like it at all, but it's pretty damn stout ABS plastic, and honestly I had to stare, poke, prod, and concentrate before I was certain it actually was plastic. However, accuracy and reliability remain excellent. The plastic group is the primary reason why I was interested in the voq pack - but the price is just too far out there. As for magazines - let me save you weeks of research - Butler Creek steel lips mags are the very best out there. When you first get them - the first 500-750 or so rounds they will periodically jam on the first 1-3 rounds when they are full. After that they remain absolutely excellent on reliability. They work each time everytime - you just have to wear them in.

Out of all the guns I own - spending money on my 10/22 is the only time I feel completely guilt free. I shoot it and enjoy it more than all of my other guns. I enjoy just relaxing and blasting whatever the hell I want for however long I want to. Also, make sure you get 4-5 25 round magazines and a butler creek quickloader - it will make your life much easier. Me, Cobra, and Fiux sat in lawn chairs leisurely shooting turtles for an entire day straight. It was awesome.
I have just found the Ruger Factory 10 shot rotary mags to be the best. But I do a lot of bench shooting with mine and I don't want anything hanging out of the bottom.

Back when I got my volquartsen group, I paid no where NEAR what they are asking for them now. The only thing I tell people is that SHOOT MY 10/22 FIRST before you shoot any other gun at the range. I've seen more people accidentally fire off my 10/22 because they aren't used to the trigger pull (It's like 1-1/2 pound pull). You touch the trigger and it goes off. I LOVE it for target practice.

One of these days I'm going to have to get me another 10/22 and LEAVE it stock.. hehe.

2006 Mustang GT
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 08:05 PM
CJ

Quote:
I have just found the Ruger Factory 10 shot rotary mags to be the best. But I do a lot of bench shooting with mine and I don't want anything hanging out of the bottom.

Back when I got my volquartsen group, I paid no where NEAR what they are asking for them now. The only thing I tell people is that SHOOT MY 10/22 FIRST before you shoot any other gun at the range. I've seen more people accidentally fire off my 10/22 because they aren't used to the trigger pull (It's like 1-1/2 pound pull). You touch the trigger and it goes off. I LOVE it for target practice.

One of these days I'm going to have to get me another 10/22 and LEAVE it stock.. hehe.
The factory rotaries are the best no doubt. After you break in some butler creek 25 steel lips, they are just as dependable. For plinking and bs'ing a 10 round magazine is a headache. Took me quite some time to actually narrow down which makes didn't suck - because 90% of them do. There is also another manufacturer out there that makes CNC machined stainless steel/aluminum mags that are cleanable, but they cost a fortune.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 09:53 PM
Time Served

Quote:

You can also refinish the aluminum receivers to remove that shitty paint and get a nice brushed finish.

The voq trigger groups are bad ass, but they are also ridiculously expensive. You can buy another 10/22 for that money. I purchased this trigger from midway on sale for $54.99:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct...tnumber=269423

it has great ratings, and it really is a very nice trigger. Like many of the reviews on the trigger set, I honestly couldn't tell a difference between the two. Unfortunately it looks as if they no longer carry it, but search for it online, and I'm sure you can find a set.

What did you use to remove that "paint" on your stainless 10/22? I've got one and I'd like to polish it up instead of that ugly paint finish.

d f w m u s t a n g s . n e t d f w m u s t a n g s . n e t

fuck canada
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 09:59 PM
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by musbrad2 View Post
What did you use to remove that "paint" on your stainless 10/22? I've got one and I'd like to polish it up instead of that ugly paint finish.
Some 220 and 400 grit sandpaper and a work bench. Just place the 220 flat on your bench, and work the receiver sides against the paper to flatten it out. You'll see just how deformed the factory receivers really are. Once you get both sides flat, switch to the top in the same method. However, once the paint is gone you need to sand it by hand to prevent banding since the receiver top is curved. Then switch to 400 grit back on the bench. You can either be damn careful or use a cheap jig to make sure your sanding marks are perfectly parallel to the receiver. It'll cost you ~10 bucks in sandpaper and a few hours of your time.

Just keep in mind it's aluminum still, you can scratch it - but nothing a piece of sandpaper and 60 seconds can't remove. I considered clearing it, but I decided to just try it naked and it's been fine. Even being careless on a regular basis. I think I have some pictures on my computer somewhere of the process I can post.

edit: here is what I had from that, it's so quick to do I didn't find much interest in doing a step by step, but here are some pictures before/after.

Last edited by CJ; 04-17-2010 at 10:11 PM.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 10:14 PM
Time Served

I may work up the nerve to do that this summer, if so I'll get with you on some of those pictures then, it doesn't sound to difficult, just tedious.

fuck canada
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 11:23 PM
PAN

The after looks damned nice CJ...

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=5...ER_TRIGGER_KIT
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 11:46 PM
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox466 View Post
Thanks man! Awesome job finding that trigger group. I should have known brownells would still carry it.
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 12:19 AM
Lifer

Quote:

That looks absolutely fucking retarded.
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Lol why?

I like it, it's just a .22 no sense in not having a little fun with it.

Quote:
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 02:14 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by David

Quote:
Lol why?

the only thing that matters is you like it & it serves your purpose.
enjoy it & shoot the sh!t out of it
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 09:44 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Lol why?

Well If guns that look like something some faggot ass gangbanger would use are your thing, I guess you've got it.
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 10:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Well If guns that look like something some faggot ass gangbanger would use are your thing, I guess you've got it.
My MAC-10 is a gun that a "faggot ass gangbanger" would use

And I was dumb enough to pay 3k for it
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 12:25 PM
GROWED UP WRONG

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCTR View Post
My MAC-10 is a gun that a "faggot ass gangbanger" would use

And I was dumb enough to pay 3k for it
BIG difference...

Your MAC-10 is what the faggot ass gangbanger is going for when they buy the cheap knock off and hold it sideways.

This 10/22 has been made to look like some kind of "assault" rifle when it is still a 22.
10/22's are nice, fun shooting little guns when they are built right. It is retarded to put an AR stock on anything but an AR.
I think the OPs best option was to leave it stock over what he did to it....
BUT it is not my gun, and not my money.
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 02:08 PM
Lifer

I like it, but what do I know.
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 04:37 PM
CJ

Quote:
lol. If you change your .22 you're a faggot ass gangbanger. Everyone write that down.
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 02:06 AM
Time Served

Quote:
lol. If you change your .22 you're a faggot ass gangbanger. Everyone write that down.
Whew... good thing I havent changed out the 10/22 then... Also Note on CJ the blued guns that rust... Im one of them, they rust out to hell, even after three hours outside with rain... NOT in its case, and NOT after I took it home... It rusted ON THE FIELD...

post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 09:04 AM
African Booty Scratcher

Quote:
you know if it aint WWII, then its crap to David.

god bless.

You don't have to earn my respect, you have to earn my disrespect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Standing in a cell with tears running down your face and blood down your legs is no way to protest.
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 09:09 AM
T-MINUS

How much are the Norrell trigger kits?

1/19/09, the last day of Free America.
Pericles "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it. "

"[T]he people alone have an incontestable, unalienable, and indefeasible right to institute government and to reform, alter, or totally change the same when their protection, safety, prosperity, and happiness require it." --Samuel Adams

post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 09:30 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
How much are the Norrell trigger kits?
$8k
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 09:54 AM
CJ

Quote:
$8k