Beretta 92FS - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Newbie

Beretta 92FS

I can buy a police trade in from LAPD at Cheaper Than Dirt for $399 or a new one at Academy for $549. I've never owned a police trade in so I don't know what to expect. Has anyone bought one of the trade in guns from CTD? I don't really care that the finish shows wear I just want a good shooter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 10:05 PM
Time Served

I've bought an old S&W Model 10 from CTD that was a trade in, was a good shooter. But for that little of a price difference I would get a new one. Never know how the weapon was cared for. I take pride in the one I carry on duty, but some to some Officers its just another part of the uniform.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 10:45 PM
not exclude

"Good shooter" and "92FS" do not belong in the same sentence.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 10:49 PM
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dod racing View Post
I can buy a police trade in from LAPD at Cheaper Than Dirt for $399 or a new one at Academy for $549. I've never owned a police trade in so I don't know what to expect. Has anyone bought one of the trade in guns from CTD? I don't really care that the finish shows wear I just want a good shooter.
Pay the extra 150 for the new one.

Police SHOOT THOUSANDS of rounds out of service guns. Springs, barrel, firing pins, and all the tolerances are gone by the time they upgrade to a new firearm.

2006 Mustang GT
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 11:05 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by exlude View Post
"Good shooter" and "92FS" do not belong in the same sentence.
This...

Nevermind the bottle of oil you will go through every time you clean/oil it.

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2010, 11:12 PM
Time Served

Let me tell ya...

I had one when in the military and never had a problem, great gun....got out had to have one that was mine..... Bought one, never had a problem, great gun......my buddy also had one.....shooting one day ane the slide blew off in his hand when he fired it....Not good......

I'd look at something else......
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 12:15 AM
Time Served

I had to carry and shoot these things in the Navy. They are now the "standard" firearm of the military.

It is the most magazine sensitive pistol I have ever seen. They love to stove pipe....

They are way too big and bulky for a 9mm too.

When the rangemasters are instructing everyone in the acronym and practice of "rack, tap, bang" you know you are talking quality...

I prefer BANG BANG BANG in my pistols.

I wouldn't take one of these if someone were giving it to me except as something to use to get a different pistol.

Some people love them..... I do not.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2010, 12:36 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyS View Post
I had to carry and shoot these things in the Navy. They are now the "standard" firearm of the military.

It is the most magazine sensitive pistol I have ever seen. They love to stove pipe....

They are way too big and bulky for a 9mm too.

When the rangemasters are instructing everyone in the acronym and practice of "rack, tap, bang" you know you are talking quality...

I prefer BANG BANG BANG in my pistols.

I wouldn't take one of these if someone were giving it to me except as something to use to get a different pistol.

Some people love them..... I do not.
^^^Exactly what he said.
That being said, they are plenty accurate, I had no trouble qualifying with it...though I did have two stovepipes. I'm glad it was just paper I was shooting at.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 09:01 PM
Pimp Juice ca. 1997

I bought a police trade in when I could've bought new for $110 more....

I REALLY should've bought new. They are not well taken care of at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
God bless you Roscoe and all you do for humanity and this board in particular.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTED32V
You know Roscoe, I used to think that you were some 16 yr.old punk with a speech impediment, but now I want you to marry one of my daughters ...'H'
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Newbie

Thanks for the replies. I took ya'lls advise and passed on the Beretta
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 10:19 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

Bah, the 92FS is a good gun. It has the most peculiar bad wrap I've ever seen. Some of the early models had steel temper issues with the slides cracking, but other than that they are great shooters in my opinion. I have seen a lot of unwarranted bias against them primarily from the senior veterans that look down on the italian manufacturer and smaller caliber for no other reason than ignorance. They are very large, that's a given. I like full frame pistols immensely. I owned a Beretta 96 .40 and really enjoyed it. But, you shouldn't buy a service turn-in. I remember two years ago you could buy new M9's at the gun show for $299.99, I got my new stainless 96 for $339.99.

My old one.

Last edited by CJ; 04-17-2010 at 10:25 PM.
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 11:13 PM
Banned

I love my 92fs. Best semi automatic handgun I have ever owned. Never one jam, never one stovepipe, etc. Qualified best in class during my CHL shooting test with one. They are hella accurate and easy to clean.

Yes, they are large handguns but they point great and fit well in my gorilla hands. I love the locking system, as the barrel does not tilt when the action is cycled. This makes it easy to suppress as no nielsen device is required. And CJ is right, the pistol gets a lot of criticism from old codgers for no good reason.

Also, ill be damned if they arent one of the best looking handguns out there. Picture related.

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 05:33 PM
Lifer

I've owned a 92FS since the mid-1990's and have never had any problems with it.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-18-2010, 06:37 PM
Time Served

I'm not an old codger by any stretch of the imagination, and I've shot over 22 different M9s during the time I was in the Navy. I've had more stovepipes, fail to feeds and any other sort of maladay one could imagine. None of those would I ever want staring down at a bad guy when my life depended on a weapon.

And they aren't just big full frame weapons, they are F'n huge especially considering the ammunition.

Let's say the verdict on the M9 / 92FS is about 50/50 and leave it at that. I wouldn't want my life depending on anything with that sort of reputation. Obama's rep is about 50/50 right now too.
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 12:10 AM
CJ
User may be editing post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyS View Post
I'm not an old codger by any stretch of the imagination, and I've shot over 22 different M9s during the time I was in the Navy. I've had more stovepipes, fail to feeds and any other sort of maladay one could imagine. None of those would I ever want staring down at a bad guy when my life depended on a weapon.

And they aren't just big full frame weapons, they are F'n huge especially considering the ammunition.

Let's say the verdict on the M9 / 92FS is about 50/50 and leave it at that. I wouldn't want my life depending on anything with that sort of reputation. Obama's rep is about 50/50 right now too.
I can't say I've shot as many as yourself, but I'm confident all of those problems would be fixed, and a properly machined and set up Beretta 92 is a very accurate and dependable weapon.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-19-2010, 08:24 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
I can't say I've shot as many as yourself, but I'm confident all of those problems would be fixed, and a properly machined and set up Beretta 92 is a very accurate and dependable weapon.
I haven't shot thousands of rounds through mine either. So far the only semi-auto I've had stovepipe is a Ruger P90 .45, and it only did so once. For pesonal defense, I still prefer the old-school revolver. They are not as concealable, but are as near to 100% dependable as you can get in my opinion.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 12:37 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
There is a nice Browning Hi power in the classifieds right now..... if I were in the market for a 9mm, I'd seriously consider it.

Call me a cynic, but my experiences with gov't issue M9s was not pleasant. My good friend that I go shooting with has a stainless 92, and I can say it has always performed flawlessly. I've shot it the past 3 times we've been out probably 30 rounds each time (myself) and no issues. I still can't believe the size of them for the size of the round. And I can bust up Idaho spuds with it from 25 yards all day long which for a pistol when shooting quickly is very accurate.

If I were going to get an M9, I'd invest a lot of thought and time into magazine selection and maintenance (this goes for most any semi auto weapon though except perhaps the M1 Garand).
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 12:50 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCTR View Post
I love my 92fs. Best semi automatic handgun I have ever owned. Never one jam, never one stovepipe, etc. Qualified best in class during my CHL shooting test with one. They are hella accurate and easy to clean.

Yes, they are large handguns but they point great and fit well in my gorilla hands. I love the locking system, as the barrel does not tilt when the action is cycled. This makes it easy to suppress as no nielsen device is required. And CJ is right, the pistol gets a lot of criticism from old codgers for no good reason.

Also, ill be damned if they arent one of the best looking handguns out there. Picture related.
Haha well a Billie isn't exactly a run of the mill 92... Is that yours?

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 12:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slow06 View Post
Haha well a Billie isn't exactly a run of the mill 92...How long have you had that?
Its not mine, but god do I wish it was! I have a regular old, well worn black one.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-21-2010, 01:10 PM
Still Slow

I've also got a 92FS, put about 500rd through it, great gun thus far. I've always loved the ergonomics of the 92FS, it's large but at least it has a 15rd mag. At this point I've had more issues out of my Glock 27 than my 92FS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement