anybody use CCI shot loads? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

anybody use CCI shot loads?

Preparing for snake season and was curious what kind of results anybody has had with shot loads? The neighbors happened to be passing down the road last year while I was riding by on my lawnmower with my .22 rifle in my lap. Got kind of a strange look. Was looking at the 40 cal shot loads to use in my CCW while out on the land this year.

R, just R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 02:25 PM
Time Served

Not sure what everyone else will say, but I have heard they can be hell on the rifling.

"I drank What!?" Socrates

1991 Miata (daily driver)
1991 SCCA Spec Miata #22
2000 F250 Turbo Diesel (Tow Mule)
2007 Saleen SC281 (Open Road Racer)
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 02:52 PM
Rolling with the homies

I've only used the .22LR but it's effective. Shot it out of a Remington Nylon 66 and shot the snake twice with it. Had to manually cycle the next round though. I need to get some for my pistols as well. I wouldn't worry about rifling to much, it's not something you would fire regularly. I'd probably fire a 2 or 3 rounds just to check how it cycles and feeds. I live on 4 acres of land and I've had a couple of snakes on my property before.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 03:44 PM
Banned

I have shot crows out of trees with the stuff with a 10/22. Brings them down, but you need a follow up round to kill them. Also you have to manually cycle the net round.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 04:17 PM
duh...duh....duh

I've read that if you have cycling problems and can replace your spring - a lighter weight one will work.

Of course, I have a Glock and considered doing this but am hesitant (for more then cycling reasons). Just something to consider. Snake shot seems to work best in revolvers.

My '03 Sold.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 10:29 PM
None

I had some of the shotshells (in .45) and I think they are a curiosity at best.

We did have some .22 crimped that we used in a 8-shot revolver for the rats around the horse barn and shop .

I feel that the pellet size was too small for anything larger than a rat - for snakes and turtles I have a break open single shot .410 with a full choke. Does the job just fine and it's fun as shit to shoot.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 02:27 AM
CJ
User may be editing post.

I've seen some pretty impressive results with .22 rat shot. One of my friends shot a sparrow out of a tree with my Ruger MKII from about 30 feet away... that's pretty impressive as far as I'm concerned.

However... If you have a properly sighted 10/22, theres no need for that... just shoot the damn creature. I did the rattlesnake dance out hunting last year (with Noel) at night and emptied 30 rounds into him in a split second. I'd rather do that then have to manually cycle my rifle however many times, and also be completely useless against anything larger than a small snake or bird.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 02:43 AM
Lifer

.357 works well.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-14-2010, 10:21 AM
The Rise Of COBRA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
I've seen some pretty impressive results with .22 rat shot. One of my friends shot a sparrow out of a tree with my Ruger MKII from about 30 feet away... that's pretty impressive as far as I'm concerned.

However... If you have a properly sighted 10/22, theres no need for that... just shoot the damn creature. I did the rattlesnake dance out hunting last year (with Noel) at night and emptied 30 rounds into him in a split second. I'd rather do that then have to manually cycle my rifle however many times, and also be completely useless against anything larger than a small snake or bird.
LOL's Hey didn't you unload some CCI shot on a few turtles.... I was impressed with it. That may have been Adolfo or Jason...

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-17-2010, 01:44 AM
CJ
User may be editing post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra Commander View Post
LOL's Hey didn't you unload some CCI shot on a few turtles.... I was impressed with it. That may have been Adolfo or Jason...
I didn't shoot turtles with it, I had it for the crows. I did fire it into the ponds to see the pattern though. It was pretty impressive overall. I gave the ruger with a loaded mag to Jason and he got the bird in the tree.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-20-2010, 09:18 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradM View Post
.357 works well.
Shot a water snake(2-3" in diam) sunning one day at about 15' and damn near blew him in half with the 38 CCI..

******If you can't feed em don't breed em******
Sponsored Links
Advertisement