Reloaders? - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
dee
Lifer
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,188
Reloaders?

Anyone ever load up some Sierra Gamekings and take any critters with them. Reason I'm wondering is I use alot of Nosler stuff for hunting bullets but I bought some 165gr HP Gamekings and the things are almost as accurate as the Matchkings I loaded. So I was wondeering how the HP did on game.
dee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 12:00 PM
Old Timer
 
Dacotua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Flower Mound
Posts: 4,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee View Post
Anyone ever load up some Sierra Gamekings and take any critters with them. Reason I'm wondering is I use alot of Nosler stuff for hunting bullets but I bought some 165gr HP Gamekings and the things are almost as accurate as the Matchkings I loaded. So I was wondeering how the HP did on game.
30 Cal?

Blows straight through deer and hogs. (Exit hole about the size of a quarter).

Even the Nossler Ballistic Tips in 150 grain goes straight through animals. (Exit hole about the size of a quarter)

I've even used the 155 Grain Hornady A-Max, blows a hole straight through the animals. (Exit hole depends if you hit bone or not, but typically the exit hole is about the size of a quarter).

My suggestion, use a bullet that your rifle likes. It will kill game animals.

2006 Mustang GT
Dacotua is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
dee
Lifer
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,188
Yea .30 cal. I was worried about over expansion due to the hollow point portion being so big, the gun really likes the MK's and I don't mind hunting pigs or yotes with them but deer is what I was concerned about.
dee is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 06:53 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Dallas
Posts: 641
im reloading some .308's with hornady SST bullet. I heard the A-max is very accurate but it fragments to much to hunt with if you wanted to save meat. thinking about reloading some 30-06 with noslers to try them out.

<iframe src="http://gamercard.xbox.com/DALLAS42069.card" scrolling="no" frameBorder="0" height="140" width="204">Put your gamertag here too.</iframe>

96GT KYB shocks and struts, Steeda C&C plates, Eibach Prokit, full exhaust!


Mods in the works!
Bullitt intake...PI swap...build up tha tranny!
Dallas_5.0 is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-10-2010, 09:19 PM
Old Timer
 
Dacotua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Flower Mound
Posts: 4,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas_5.0 View Post
im reloading some .308's with hornady SST bullet. I heard the A-max is very accurate but it fragments to much to hunt with if you wanted to save meat. thinking about reloading some 30-06 with noslers to try them out.
I've shot deer with A-Max and like I said, it comes out the size of a quarter. I've also used the SST's and they also have about the same exit hole.

Now I've shot things with a soft point and those really eat some meat...

2006 Mustang GT
Dacotua is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-11-2010, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
dee
Lifer
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotua View Post
I've shot deer with A-Max and like I said, it comes out the size of a quarter. I've also used the SST's and they also have about the same exit hole.

Now I've shot things with a soft point and those really eat some meat...
As long as they seem to exit fine thats fine with me. My fear was overexpansion and no exit wound. As far as the Hornady's my .308 won't shoot acceptable groups for me.
dee is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 06:25 PM
Old Fart
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Forney, TX, USA
Posts: 1,359
Any bullet at 165gr in 308 win will take down anything in Texas unless it has +10 magical chain mail. Then you have to use the Spear of Destiny.

"Don't taze me, bro."
GT98SVO is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 06:27 AM Thread Starter
dee
Lifer
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT98SVO View Post
Any bullet at 165gr in 308 win will take down anything in Texas unless it has +10 magical chain mail. Then you have to use the Spear of Destiny.
I don't have any doubt that it wouldn't kill the deer but I hunt in thicker brush if the deer runs after being hit an exit wound leaves a better blood trail, most of the time.
dee is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-13-2010, 09:37 AM
Old Timer
 
Dacotua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Flower Mound
Posts: 4,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by dee View Post
I don't have any doubt that it wouldn't kill the deer but I hunt in thicker brush if the deer runs after being hit an exit wound leaves a better blood trail, most of the time.
Na.. If you hit it in the heart lung area, you won't need a exit hole at all (A 22-250 barely leaves a exit hole). As the deer runs with a jellied lung, it will cough/breath out blood (A LOT). You'll get a GOOD blood trail from it.

2006 Mustang GT
Dacotua is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome