My experience shooting and sighting in my gun - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 09:16 PM Thread Starter
Time Served
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 424
My experience shooting and sighting in my gun

Well, I finally got around to sighting in my scope. I had wanted to go to Alpine, but with the weather forecast calling for 60 mph winds and rain, I settled on Bass Pro Shops indoor range.

Thursday, I went to Academy to purchase different ammo (manufacturer and grain) to shoot. One box was Fusion and the other Hornady, I didn't shoot the Hornady, I'll explain later.

Friday (the big day) arrives, myself and a good friend meet-up with a coworker at Bass Pro. I asked a coworker, who hunts, if he wouldn't mind helping me sight in my scope. Once we arrived in the shooting room, my senses were heightened and nerves were on edge. Having never shot a gun with this caliber before, I wanted to squeeze off a couple of rounds. Pulling the bolt back on my Remington rifle and loading my first Fusion cartridge only increased my adrenaline. I did my best to settle down and I fired my first round. I stood back from the gun turned to my friends wide eyed and grinning from ear to ear and hollered "holy shit, what a rush"

There was no missing the feel of the guns recoil through the lead sled, the echo sound it made going down the tube and the muzzle blast through the Leupold scope.

I fired several more shots at varying yards, making necessary adjustments to the scope. My final six shots, at 100 yards, was two on "bullseye" and one stray at 1.5" to the right. After making another adjustment, my final three shots were grouped together at about 1" to 1.5" (MOA??) and about 1.25" above "bullseye" From there we called it good and the last shots were fired just for the sheer fun of it.

Now about that Hornady ammo. I mistakenly bought .308 ammo for a lever gun. I didn't realize my mistake till I got home, but by then it was too late. Knowing I wont be buying a lever gun any time soon, I'm stuck with this ammo. If anyone here has a lever gun and would like to trade or buy, I would like to get $20 or twenty 7.62 x 51 surplus ammo. BTW, it's Hornady LEVERevolution with Flex Tip technology .308 MAR EXP 160 gr FTX. I know, newb mistake.

Thanks for reading.
bigmuskie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-05-2010, 11:11 PM
Old Timer
 
Dacotua's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Flower Mound
Posts: 4,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmuskie View Post
Well, I finally got around to sighting in my scope. I had wanted to go to Alpine, but with the weather forecast calling for 60 mph winds and rain, I settled on Bass Pro Shops indoor range.

Thursday, I went to Academy to purchase different ammo (manufacturer and grain) to shoot. One box was Fusion and the other Hornady, I didn't shoot the Hornady, I'll explain later.

Friday (the big day) arrives, myself and a good friend meet-up with a coworker at Bass Pro. I asked a coworker, who hunts, if he wouldn't mind helping me sight in my scope. Once we arrived in the shooting room, my senses were heightened and nerves were on edge. Having never shot a gun with this caliber before, I wanted to squeeze off a couple of rounds. Pulling the bolt back on my Remington rifle and loading my first Fusion cartridge only increased my adrenaline. I did my best to settle down and I fired my first round. I stood back from the gun turned to my friends wide eyed and grinning from ear to ear and hollered "holy shit, what a rush"

There was no missing the feel of the guns recoil through the lead sled, the echo sound it made going down the tube and the muzzle blast through the Leupold scope.

I fired several more shots at varying yards, making necessary adjustments to the scope. My final six shots, at 100 yards, was two on "bullseye" and one stray at 1.5" to the right. After making another adjustment, my final three shots were grouped together at about 1" to 1.5" (MOA??) and about 1.25" above "bullseye" From there we called it good and the last shots were fired just for the sheer fun of it.

Now about that Hornady ammo. I mistakenly bought .308 ammo for a lever gun. I didn't realize my mistake till I got home, but by then it was too late. Knowing I wont be buying a lever gun any time soon, I'm stuck with this ammo. If anyone here has a lever gun and would like to trade or buy, I would like to get $20 or twenty 7.62 x 51 surplus ammo. BTW, it's Hornady LEVERevolution with Flex Tip technology .308 MAR EXP 160 gr FTX. I know, newb mistake.

Thanks for reading.
You bought .308 MARLIN EXPRESS

Remember always buy .308 WIN

FYI: ALWAYS sight in a rifle with the ammo you plan on shooting. Just because the Fusion is on target, doesn't mean that the Hornady Ammo will impact the same points. Different grains of bullets will also effect the point of impact.

When I bought factory ammo, I would buy FOUR boxes of the same ammo. I would sight it in, then file them away. (I hunt so I wanted the same ammo (Same LOT #), same grain, etc.. ) That way at the lease, I knew where the bullet was going to hit.

2006 Mustang GT
Dacotua is offline  
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 09:31 AM
Lifer
 
slow06's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Arlington
Posts: 2,075
At Academy in Arlington the 1 type of 308 Marlin they carry is in between the 6 or so 308 Winchester types. Wouldn't be hard to make that mistake seeing 308 Win on both sides. Not the best layout IMO, but it does make me check that I got the right thing about 18 times.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have."
-Gerald Ford/Thomas Jefferson

"A Republic, if you can keep it"
- Benjamin Franklin

The way to peaceably remove elected officials who deviate from the constitution of the United States of America...
www.blowoutcongress.com
slow06 is offline  
 
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Time Served
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotua View Post
You bought .308 MARLIN EXPRESS

Remember always buy .308 WIN
Yeah, I'll double and triple check alot more from now on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotua View Post
FYI: ALWAYS sight in a rifle with the ammo you plan on shooting. Just because the Fusion is on target, doesn't mean that the Hornady Ammo will impact the same points. Different grains of bullets will also effect the point of impact.
The Fusion seemed fine to me, then again, I've never fired any other ammo through this gun. It's priced affordable that, if I wanted to, I could plink and hunt with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotua View Post
When I bought factory ammo, I would buy FOUR boxes of the same ammo. I would sight it in, then file them away. (I hunt so I wanted the same ammo (Same LOT #), same grain, etc.. ) That way at the lease, I knew where the bullet was going to hit.
Thanks for the tip.
bigmuskie is offline  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-06-2010, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Time Served
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 424
Quote:
Originally Posted by slow06 View Post
At Academy in Arlington the 1 type of 308 Marlin they carry is in between the 6 or so 308 Winchester types. Wouldn't be hard to make that mistake seeing 308 Win on both sides. Not the best layout IMO, but it does make me check that I got the right thing about 18 times.
That most likely was what had happened, but I should have paid more attention.
bigmuskie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome