M1 Garand - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

M1 Garand

How many different brands of M1 Garand are out there? I'm tossing around picking one up, possibly looking for one that needs some work and fixing it up.

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!

Last edited by MotoMan; 03-09-2010 at 01:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 01:28 PM
Lifer

Springfield Armory, Winchester, Harrington & Richardson, & International Harvester were all govt manufacturers.

Springfield Armory Inc. and Century all offer new made guns.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Any models or years to stay away from?

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 01:39 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMan View Post
Any models or years to stay away from?
Not really. They're all the same thing. Some have said Winchesters aren't finished/made as well as the war time Springfield Armory guns. But all mine do the exact same thing and dont have any issues. The super finicky ones cost $50k and you probably wont be wanting to spend that.

Winchester and Springfield Armory (guns up to 3.9 million serial number) are WW2 mfg guns.

H&R, IHC, and Springfield Armory (serial number 4 million plus) are all post WW2 manufactured guns.

Should be noted these guns are ammo specific.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Yeah I definitely do not have the $50K to spend on a rifle. Am I crazy to think that I could pick one up that could use some work for under $1,000?

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 01:47 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Yeah I definitely do not have the $50K to spend on a rifle. Am I crazy to think that I could pick one up that could use some work for under $1,000?
Fuck yes

$1k would be able to get you a garand that should be built with all new NOS stuff and be brand new.

Best prices are from CMP:

http://www.thecmp.org/m1garand.htm
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 01:56 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
Fuck yes

$1k would be able to get you a garand that should be built with all new NOS stuff and be brand new.

X2, thats what I was gonna say. Theres a couple of requirments to order, like being part of a affiliated club. If you're not, the cheapest I found is http://www.m1collectorsclub.com at $14 a year.

1957 Chevy Belair
1953 M38A1

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Fuck yes

Excuse the noobish question but what's the difference between something like this going to be http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=159990683 compared to something that's several thousand?

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 02:06 PM
Lifer

This...

1957 Chevy Belair
1953 M38A1

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 02:07 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Excuse the noobish question but what's the difference between something like this going to be http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=159990683 compared to something that's several thousand?
That gun is an import rifle brought in by Blue Sky. That right there means it will really never be worth much to a collector. Unless he has the serial number before or after that one.

The high dollar garands are restored usually to the exact way they left the factory using original parts. The earlier the gun, the more expensive. Or they're a gun tricked out for competitive shooting.

The gunbroker gun is a mix master of GI parts and needs a new barrel. Anything with a TE/ME of 4+ is getting worn out.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

I saw that one in the picture above on the site that David linked, IMO it looks like a fairly clean rifle. Now did they spend $600 on that or did that run several thousand?

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
That gun is an import rifle brought in by Blue Sky. That right there means it will really never be worth much to a collector. Unless he has the serial number before or after that one.

The high dollar garands are restored usually to the exact way they left the factory using original parts. The earlier the gun, the more expensive. Or they're a gun tricked out for competitive shooting.

The gunbroker gun is a mix master of GI parts and needs a new barrel. Anything with a TE/ME of 4+ is getting worn out.
Ok so if I understand you right then I may be looking for more of a replica if I don't have the budget for matching serial numbers?

post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 02:13 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Ok so if I understand you right then I may be looking for more of a replica if I don't have the budget for matching serial numbers?
Nah. Mix matched guns are GI guns, but they dont bring the value that a correct numbers matching gun can.

The one in the auction will need a new barrel, but other than that nothing is wrong with it. If you just want a GI gun to shoot and enjoy, that gunbroker gun is perfect. You get a GI gun, find a new barrel and swap it on; bam good shooting garand.

CMP is able to charge cheap prices for their guns because they're the govt selling them wholesale. The $600 guns they offer are the same as the gunbroker add. The $1k guns are all new and typically numbers correct etc.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 02:14 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I saw that one in the picture above on the site that David linked, IMO it looks like a fairly clean rifle. Now did they spend $600 on that or did that run several thousand?
thats not fairly clean, thats brand new. That one I think is $1500, one of those collector grades. Im gonna go with a field grade SA for $495. I know several people who have bought this grade and said they were actually beautiful rifles for an average guy like us whos not looking for collector pieces.

1957 Chevy Belair
1953 M38A1

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 02:18 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Fellas I REALLY appreciate the input, I'll make sure and post up when I have it ordered.

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 02:21 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Fellas I REALLY appreciate the input, I'll make sure and post up when I have it ordered.
Yea definatly let me know what you go with and when you get it.

1957 Chevy Belair
1953 M38A1

post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

I picked a magazine at Walmart the other day called M1 Magazine, didn't realize it but an ad I saw advertising M1 Garand Stock Sets was actually from www.thecmp.org. That ad is what sparked my interest again.

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-09-2010, 03:47 PM
Old Fart

Midway USA offers a ton of parts for Garand. Stock sets, sights, barrels, etc.

My coworker has auctioned off lots of Garands as fundraisers from CMP. $600-650 is typical for those.

"Don't taze me, bro."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement