what to buy - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Big Rooster Racing

what to buy

I have a wife and two kids and Im looking to purchase a firearm in the next couple weeks. I was thinking of a Glock 26......I dont feel the need to walk around with a chambered gun so the whole "no safety" thing doesnt deter me as much. I also plan on getting my CHL.

This gun will mostly be carried when I am out with the family and left at home for her to use if ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY!! I will implement this to her I can assure you. This will be a temporary fix until i can afford to get her a CHL and purchase something she feels comfortable with. I like the glock 26 because its smaller for her and more compact to carry.

Ive been told by a friend to stay away from a 9mm caliber weapon as they dont stop people like a .40 would. He is steering me towards a springfield model.......

I would like to stay near the New Glock 26 price.

BIG ROOSTER RACING , we aint cluckin around !
RESIDENT ELECTRICIAN ...... AND WIRING GURU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 05:05 PM
Time Served

goto a range that you can rent firearms and try different makes and models. She might find she likes the feel of a bursa over a glock and etc
post #3 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 05:21 PM
Token Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by John -- '02 HAWK View Post
goto a range that you can rent firearms and try different makes and models. She might find she likes the feel of a bursa over a glock and etc
X2

And don't start the caliber wars. Go shoot, see what fits well in your hand and what feels good shooting.

'05 Redfire Mustang

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey

post #4 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 05:31 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

A gun without a round in the chamber is just an expensive club and/or paper weight.

Don't be ignorant about the perceived safety of carrying a Glock without one in the pipe. I alternate my carry between a Glock 19, Glock 26 and a S&W 642. The Glocks are ALWAYS chambered.

The amount of time it takes you to rack the slide could be the difference between life and death.

If you are so concerned about an external safety, look at the Springfield XDs. They are around the same price as the Glocks.

post #5 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 06:21 PM
Lifer

I wouldn't carry a gun that wasn't hot all the time. Its useless. Keep that in mind.

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #6 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 06:24 PM
dee
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOCBB View Post
A gun without a round in the chamber is just an expensive club and/or paper weight.

Don't be ignorant about the perceived safety of carrying a Glock without one in the pipe. I alternate my carry between a Glock 19, Glock 26 and a S&W 642. The Glocks are ALWAYS chambered.

The amount of time it takes you to rack the slide could be the difference between life and death.

If you are so concerned about an external safety, look at the Springfield XDs. They are around the same price as the Glocks.
X2 I can't say anything about Glocks I carry 1911's.
post #7 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 06:52 PM
Factory Issue

A Ruger SR9 is your game. You'll be able to conceal it, and you can both shoot it, and it's as cheap, if not a little cheaper than a Glock, and it's US made.

Give me a dollar.
post #8 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 07:10 PM
Time Served

Try a few and pick one that you feel comfortable with being chambered. I am not a big fan of Clock for the same reason. I prefer a double action or a double single so there is no need for a safty and I can leave it chambered.

2000 Black GT Conv.
07 Kawasaki ZZR 600 (Recovered by the good guys)
84 Jeep CJ-7 (My Toy)
04 Lincoln Aviator (Her Toy)
post #9 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 07:13 PM
Lifer

Your finger should be the only safety on a gun. Most holsters, if not all have trigger guards.

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #10 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 07:16 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

If you like Glocks, check out the Glock 23. It's a compact .40, slightly bigger than the 26, but more capacity, and more bang bang.

post #11 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 07:20 PM
Lifer

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip McNeely View Post
I wouldn't carry a gun that wasn't hot all the time. Its useless. Keep that in mind.
Agree.

If you're in a situation where you are a customer in a store robbery, racking the slide will give you away and make you an immediate target.

When the "Most interesting man in the world" needs advice, he calls me.
post #12 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Big Rooster Racing

all VERY good input. Does anyone know if Alpine gun range rents out firearms? Im in Arlington so the closer the better for me.....I do like the idea of a safety...but like the look, feel, and reliability of a glock.......why does shit have to be so complicated

post #13 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 08:04 PM
Lifer

You wont be disappointed with a Glock. I've had my G 23 for 5 years with no malfunctions ever. Take care of it and it will take care of you. But yes go to a range that rents and shoot a few and see whats comfortable. A lot of people dont like the Glock handle offset. For me it fits perfect. Its all in what you are comfortable with shooting bottom line.

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #14 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 08:04 PM
GROWED UP WRONG

Quote:
This man speaks the truth!

I do not usually carry my Kimber with the hammer back, but always have one in the tube.
And I would go with the XD over the Glock
post #15 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 10:26 PM
Gunga galunga

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuStYpNuS View Post
all VERY good input. Does anyone know if Alpine gun range rents out firearms? Im in Arlington so the closer the better for me.....I do like the idea of a safety...but like the look, feel, and reliability of a glock.......why does shit have to be so complicated
Alpine does but I don't think they have many choices... Go to Winchester gun range (Lancaster & 820) they have quite a few options.

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #16 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 11:14 PM
Arbeit Macht Frei

Dont get held up on size, a well placed shot will still stop someone, 9mm, 40, 45, 10mm, etc
One of the benefits to say 9mm is larger capacity in smaller framed guns. Its really what you plan on carrying. I have XDs in 9mm, 40S&W and 45, pretty much all of them are easy to conceal.

"Wealth Dies, Kinsman Die, A man himself must likewise die; But word-fame, Never dies, For him who achieves it well"
-Hávamál-

post #17 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 11:36 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Your finger should be the only safety on a gun. Most holsters, if not all have trigger guards.

"Delta no Delta, that is a hot weapon" sorry had to just watched it again yesterday.

I agree with the "go to the range and shoot their pistolas". Every person is different when it comes to fit and comfort level of different brands and calibers.

I used to be an all .45acp guy but then I bought a XD9 and now have a few of them, more 9s than .45s.

I have got a little .380 in Rugers LCP, haven't shot it yet though. For concealing they do not get any smaller. I also have a Khar CW9 for a conceal gun too.
post #18 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-05-2010, 11:46 PM Thread Starter
Big Rooster Racing

i actually think im going to purchase the XD sub compact 9 or .40.......Im going to check one out tomorrow at the gun show and will make my decision then.......thanks everyone

post #19 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 12:36 AM
!!!SLLAB YM KCUS

Quote:
i actually think im going to purchase the XD sub compact 9 or .40.......Im going to check one out tomorrow at the gun show and will make my decision then.......thanks everyone

buy a UMP 45
post #20 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 12:39 AM
Lifer

Quote:
I have a subcompact XD9 and love that gun, it goes everywhere with me. Buy magazines too, don't settle for just the two the gun comes with.
post #21 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Big Rooster Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by milk View Post
buy a UMP 45
lol.....how bout we just stick with leading the clan in kills

post #22 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 12:50 AM
Out

I'm still trying to figure out where this myth of 9mm not stopping people came from. 9mm, .40, .45, .38, .357... whatever. It's all about placement. I guarantee you that a 9mm can bring down the biggest, baddest dude. Now, I carry a .40 because my chances are better for making a complete stop, but not because nothing else won't get the job done.
post #23 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 12:50 AM
!!!SLLAB YM KCUS

Quote:
lol.....how bout we just stick with leading the clan in kills

im not on my game today ;(
post #24 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
Big Rooster Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
I'm still trying to figure out where this myth of 9mm not stopping people came from. 9mm, .40, .45, .38, .357... whatever. It's all about placement. I guarantee you that a 9mm can bring down the biggest, baddest dude. Now, I carry a .40 because my chances are better for making a complete stop, but not because nothing else won't get the job done.
yea i feel the same way....like mofos are born bulletproof

Quote:
Originally Posted by milk View Post
im not on my game today ;(
ahh i was for a little.....then that 31 kills 2 deaths threw me a curve ball

post #25 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 01:02 AM
Out

Like Trip said, though, I'd suggest you try and shoot a Glock 23 before you buy the 26. It's a very carry-able gun and better feel/control when in use. I've shot MANY handguns and the 23 is what I stick with. Either go to a range and rent theirs or you can squeeze off a few rounds with mine. I don't care.
post #26 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 02:10 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Of course the best of shot placement can down somebody with even a .22.

The 9mm weakness is illustrated from the amount amount of police reports where their 9mm didnt stop the perp as it didnt allow for enough kinetic energy displacement and cavitation. I forget exactly where I read it but mortal wounds that dont disrupt the targets central nervous system will result in a target that can continue to function for several minutes before they collapse. As an example there have been several recorded studies on how long severed heads will remain animate and it can last from 15sec to 15min.
post #27 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 03:06 AM
Packin' up...

I've got a SCXD40 and you are more than welcome to fire done rounds from it.
post #28 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 08:28 AM
GROWED UP WRONG

post #29 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 08:48 AM
Time Served

Glock trigger safety...

http://siderlock.com/

I'll never have an avatar......
post #30 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 09:52 AM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeastAv View Post
Glock trigger safety...

While that look interesting, I wonder how difficult it would be to disengage that safety in a high stress situation.

BTW, those of you that say you don't like the ergonomics of the controls on a Glock, you should try one with extended controls. The first thing I did to my Glocks was put an extended slide lock lever on them. I don't have a need for the extended mag release, but I could see someone liking that as well. I also have not installed the extended slide release (takedown bar).

post #31 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 10:39 AM
dee
Lifer

Quote:
While that look interesting, I wonder how difficult it would be to disengage that safety in a high stress situation.

BTW, those of you that say you don't like the ergonomics of the controls on a Glock, you should try one with extended controls. The first thing I did to my Glocks was put an extended slide lock lever on them. I don't have a need for the extended mag release, but I could see someone liking that as well. I also have not installed the extended slide release (takedown bar).
I was told that in a high stress situation that I wouldn't be able to dissingage my safety on the 1911, by my chl instructor. Although I've been charged by pigs and managed it fine but if you don't trust your reflex's a glock or xd is the way to go.
post #32 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 10:43 AM
UNFUCKWITHABLE

Quote:
Im looking to purchase a firearm

I dont feel the need to walk around with a chambered gun.

An empty gun is nothing more than an expensive hammer.

Audentes Fortuna Juvat
post #33 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 10:45 AM
dee
Lifer

Anothe thing is that if you find a Glock doesn't fit your hand real well the new 4th gen Glocks are I guess what you would call a modular design in that the grip has changeable panels like a M&P.
post #34 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 11:19 AM
EW
Procrastination Racing

DFW gun range on Mockingbird has a great selection to rent.
post #35 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 12:41 PM
Time Served

When I got my chl I qualed with a glock 19 I didn't really like the way it felt in my hands so I bought an XDm and I love it I also got my wife an XD sub compact in 9mm they are both really nice gun but it is always what fits you the best

R.I.P. Lcpl Ivan I. Wilson K.I.A. July 21 2008
post #36 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 02:00 PM
Rolling with the homies

Just my $.02. Buy a gun in a size and caliber you are comfortable shooting. Nothing wrong with a 9mm but if you can shoot the same gun in .40 S&W than do that. But if you can't hit what you are shooting in .40 S&W than you need to go to a smaller caliber. A 9mm in the chest is better than a .40 S&W in the arm. Ergonomics are important. If the gun frame is to small or to big you won't shoot well enough to hit what you are shooting. If your wife is planning on shooting the same gun than you need to make sure that she is comfortable with it as well. And most importantly, not carrying a round in the chamber is just stupid. If your not comfortable with that in a Glock than you need to find another gun. Maybe it may not be as an important as a night stand gun but in a carry gun it's dangerous. It's like having a car that you need to depend on with no gas in the tank. That extra second or so of racking the slide to chamber a round can mean your light. I've seen some Israeli video where they practice drawing the gun from a holster and chambering a round but that just seems stupid to me.

Take your time in deciding what you want. If you are still adamant about the Glock but do not trust yourself (and that's really what it is) with having a round in the chamber than you really need to decide on something else. I know they make a safety device that fits behind the trigger and you push it out in order to fire but again I think it's stupid. Get a good holster that protects the trigger guard and you won't have to worry about an accidental discharge when your finger is not on the trigger. Which brings up another important rule. Keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to fire. And I'll finish off with these. PRACTICE! PRACTICE! PRACTICE! Good luck.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #37 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 02:58 PM
#4 Best QB Ever

Quote:

Word. I've carried my Glock 29 for however long (a year or two now?), always chambered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0x3.48 View Post
If you like Glocks, check out the Glock 23. It's a compact .40, slightly bigger than the 26, but more capacity, and more bang bang.
Right. The 26 is a 9mm, the 23 and 27 are .40s

Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
post #38 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-06-2010, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Big Rooster Racing

ok so i settled for a Springfield Armory XD sub compact 9mm. 395 plus tax NIB. not bad since the booth next to it was asking 500 plus tax for theirs

post #39 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 01:42 AM
Lifer

Quote:
ok so i settled for a Springfield Armory XD sub compact 9mm. 395 plus tax NIB. not bad since the booth next to it was asking 500 plus tax for theirs
That is a smoking deal.

Did you buy any ammo and extra mags though?
post #40 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Big Rooster Racing

not yet i just got the gun with the compact mag and the high cap mag and the cable lock

post #41 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 07:48 AM
Lifer

Quote:
not yet i just got the gun with the compact mag and the high cap mag and the cable lock
CTD has extra mags for those on the shelf all the time. You can find them also for sale all the time on ar15 in the classifieds.

We are waiting for your range report.
post #42 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 10:27 AM
Token Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeastAv View Post
Glock trigger safety...

The only thing I have against that is it doesn't look like it would work with the Todd Jarrett style. With just the pad of the finger on the trigger, there's nothing to push that pin in.

'05 Redfire Mustang

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey
post #43 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 11:27 AM
The Rise Of COBRA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostTX View Post
The only thing I have against that is it doesn't look like it would work with the Todd Jarrett style. With just the pad of the finger on the trigger, there's nothing to push that pin in.
This is the best thing you can do to retro-fit a glock with an extra external safety.

You don't need this if you have the proper holster which protects the trigger. I don't mean some cheap Uncle mikes cordura nylon holster either. Get you a Kydex type or leather holster which covers the trigger guard. I've heard great things about Comp-Tac, Crossbreed Tuck, Blackhawk, Fobus, Galco, Desantis...

post #44 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 01:48 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Wow that's a great deal!

I really like the XD sub compacts...

Academy has Monarch 9mm for $10 a box for range ammo. It's a bit dirty but you need to get some rounds through the gun.
post #45 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Big Rooster Racing

i plan on going to the range sometime this week....i will report back with all the details. So far i love the feel of it, the safety features, as well as the look. I cant wait to dirty up the pipe and see how it performs.....

Ive only been to the range a few times and only to Alpine. Any one know of a place that will let you rapid fire? alpine says "1 sec between shots"

post #46 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 03:41 PM
Lifer

Quote:
i plan on going to the range sometime this week....i will report back with all the details. So far i love the feel of it, the safety features, as well as the look. I cant wait to dirty up the pipe and see how it performs.....

Ive only been to the range a few times and only to Alpine. Any one know of a place that will let you rapid fire? alpine says "1 sec between shots"
Most ranges allow double taps. I've never been to one that allowed rapid fire unless you had special permission.

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #47 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 03:53 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee View Post
I was told that in a high stress situation that I wouldn't be able to dissingage my safety on the 1911, by my chl instructor. Although I've been charged by pigs and managed it fine but if you don't trust your reflex's a glock or xd is the way to go.
The thumb safety is quite a bit different than a safety on the trigger. The key, regardless of safety type, is to engage/disengage before/after each shot. Muscle memory is king when it comes to safeties.

That said, the only safety I need is between my ears.

post #48 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 04:15 PM
Gunga galunga

Get some pearce grip extensions for the magazines, they make all the difference on the XD sub... You'll really enjoy the XD, plus they are a snap to take down and clean.

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #49 of 49 (permalink) Old 03-07-2010, 04:20 PM
dee
Lifer

Quote:
The thumb safety is quite a bit different than a safety on the trigger. The key, regardless of safety type, is to engage/disengage before/after each shot. Muscle memory is king when it comes to safeties.

That said, the only safety I need is between my ears.
True, funny thing about the thumb safety is on more than one occasiion I've pulled my carry rig off and the safety was dissengaged, it didn't bother me due to the grip safety.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement