pawn shops - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

pawn shops

I would like to hit up some pawn shops for, hopefully, a good deal on a shotgun. A friend of mine has shown interest in shooting and has mentioned checking pawn shop's.

Anyone know of some pawn shop's worth looking at?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 12:50 PM
Lifer

Shotguns are so cheap you should just buy a brand new one.

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 03:46 PM
GROWED UP WRONG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip McNeely View Post
Yep. Get him a cheap Mossberg Maverick to start with and if he stays with it he can upgrade later. Can get a Maverick brand new from Academy for $159

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-13-2010, 06:00 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
I bought a new Mossberg 500 12 gauge from WalMart. The times when we had gone to Alpine we shot both, the Mossberg and a Remington 1100 auto. One of my other friends preferred the Mossberg pump. My closest friend, who has an interest in shotguns, would rather have an auto.

A majority of the new auto's we had looked at are priced out of his budget. We hit up about three pawn shops with no luck. He remembered hearing about the Ft. Worth gun show this weekend, so we went there instead. It was my first time there and I was overwhelmed. We saw several auto 12's in fair shape and for the most part, priced right.

One in particular he liked is a used Remington 1100 12 gauge auto, all black and synthetic stock and fore grip. It's priced 399 cash or 419 credit card. He's still unsure whether he should buy, because he liked a few others also.

Is the process for buying a used shotgun at a show the same as buying new from a store front?

I quoted both of ya'll, because it answers both posts.

Thanks in advance, we're all new to this and are in a learning phase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped54 View Post
Yep. Get him a cheap Mossberg Maverick to start with and if he stays with it he can upgrade later. Can get a Maverick brand new from Academy for $159
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 06:02 PM
Old Timer

If there is a possibility of Bird Hunting, YOU WILL want the semi-auto....

When I first started dove/duck hunting, I used a pump. My friends all had semis and it QUICKLY changed my mind. I now get more birds, however the downside is that you WILL shoot more ammo.

For home defense, its hard to beat a pump however. You don't even have to shoot the gun, just rack it and anyone in his right mind will panic to leave the home. The pump is a distinctive sound that everyone knows.

2006 Mustang GT
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 06:50 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotua View Post
mp however. You don't even have to shoot the gun, just rack it and anyone in his right mind will panic to leave the home. The pump is a distinctive sound that everyone knows.
And waste your chambered round?

93 Teal/Gray Cobra
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 07:18 PM
None

I don't want him/her to panic - I want them to remain relatively still as I line up the sights.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing19 View Post
And waste your chambered round?
If there was no chambered round to begin with, your could be "racking" your first shell in the chamber.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
I don't want him/her to panic - I want them to remain relatively still as I line up the sights.
If the intruder's charging you, that distinctive sound could stop them in their tracks for a better shot.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 09:22 PM
Arbeit Macht Frei

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmuskie View Post
If the intruder's charging you, that distinctive sound could stop them in their tracks for a better shot.
Or give away your position in your home.
No thanks.

"Wealth Dies, Kinsman Die, A man himself must likewise die; But word-fame, Never dies, For him who achieves it well"
-Hávamál-

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
If there is a possibility of Bird Hunting, YOU WILL want the semi-auto....

When I first started dove/duck hunting, I used a pump. My friends all had semis and it QUICKLY changed my mind. I now get more birds, however the downside is that you WILL shoot more ammo.
The gun will be used mainly for clay target shooting. If we think we might be good enough for dove, quail and pheasant hunting, then we will try that. That will be awhile though, we have more to learn before we get that far.

At the Ft. Worth gun show today, my friend bought a used Remington Model 1100 12 gauge semi-auto. It's chambered for 2.75 only, but that's what we mainly shoot. It's all black with a matte finish and synthetic stock and fore grip. The barrel is ribbed with a truGlo styled sight out on the end. I don't know how to measure the barrel, but if I had to guess, I would say 28" to 30".

We just got finished disassembling and doing a thorough cleaning and oiling. Overall, it's a really nice gun, perfect for what he wants to do with it.
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooterWS6 View Post
Or give away your position in your home.
No thanks.
True, so many different variables. I see where you're coming from. If you know someone has broke into your house, the "rack" sound could draw their attention and ruin your ambush attack.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 09:44 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
If there was no chambered round to begin with, your could be "racking" your first shell in the chamber.

Thats just one less round available.

93 Teal/Gray Cobra
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 09:44 PM
None

I'f someone is charging me, I'll pull the trigger which will most certainly stop them in their tracks.

The "chic-chic" sound only wastes time. This ain't the movies, and they don't get "fair warning".
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 09:55 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordracing19 View Post
Thats just one less round available.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
I'f someone is charging me, I'll pull the trigger which will most certainly stop them in their tracks.

The "chic-chic" sound only wastes time. This ain't the movies, and they don't get "fair warning".
True on both accounts. At the range, I will open the chamber and drop the shell in the barrel, slide the action and insert my second shell in the tube. I have another friend who likes to put both in the tube for the "chic-chic" sound lol.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 10:07 PM
Lifer

Wow, then you dont need a gun, rather a stereo system with the cool "chic-chic" sound to play.

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-14-2010, 10:11 PM
1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2 f0 lyfe!

Quote:
For home defense, its hard to beat a pump however. You don't even have to shoot the gun, just rack it and anyone in his right mind will panic to leave the home. The pump is a distinctive sound that everyone knows.
Not this Hollywood bullshit again. You chamber a round for that effect it gives your position away and you can end up on the floor in a bloody pool before pulling the trigger.

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 11:44 AM
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Junk View Post
Not this Hollywood bullshit again. You chamber a round for that effect it gives your position away and you can end up on the floor in a bloody pool before pulling the trigger.
Nope, its worked several times.

When I was younger, my mom racked a shotgun when someone was messing around the front door. The person ran.

A buddy of mine had someone, at night, shinning a flash light into his windows. He racked a shotgun and the person ran.

Most thieves are cowards and as soon as they know someone has a gun, especially a shotgun, they'll run.

2006 Mustang GT
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 11:58 AM
Time Served

It's not Hollywood bullshit. I used to pull SP duty. Racking the slide settled down many a drunk and armed Marine.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 06:17 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Nope, its worked several times.

When I was younger, my mom racked a shotgun when someone was messing around the front door. The person ran.

A buddy of mine had someone, at night, shinning a flash light into his windows. He racked a shotgun and the person ran.

Most thieves are cowards and as soon as they know someone has a gun, especially a shotgun, they'll run.
Yeah until they shoot their already chambered gun at you. +1 robber.

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 10:09 PM
Old Timer

Quote:
Yeah until they shoot their already chambered gun at you. +1 robber.
First of all, a robber is blind, they don't know the layout of your home, where your stuff is.

Next hearing a shotgun slide tells you a few things.

#1 The owner is home
#2 He's got a gun and is pissed off.
#3 He's got a gun and he knows about where the robber is. (Obviously the robber made a noise).
#4 He's familiar with his own home layout, he can travel in the dark and not run into shit.
#5 He's probably dialed 911 and put the phone down
#6 He's not time pressed, the robber now is.
#7 The robber is not where the home owner is.
#8 The robber is a FUCKING COWARD and tries to come in when the owner isn't home. The robber is also not a fighter so 99.9% of the time he will flee immediately. Otherwise he would have come in the middle of the day.

Home owner +8 and more points.

We'll agree to disagree.

2006 Mustang GT
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-15-2010, 10:38 PM
Time Served

Where do you live?
Midway & 635
Northwest Hwy and Plano Rd
theres another in arlington that i like going to... by the GM plant... dont remember what the road is... off Collins and something
post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam_aoc View Post
Where do you live?
Midway & 635
Northwest Hwy and Plano Rd
theres another in arlington that i like going to... by the GM plant... dont remember what the road is... off Collins and something
I live in Arlington. The pawn shop you're talking about, is it off of Abrams? BTW, the GM plant is at the corner of Abrams and 360.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-16-2010, 11:12 PM
Time Served

Quote:
I live in Arlington. The pawn shop you're talking about, is it off of Abrams? BTW, the GM plant is at the corner of Abrams and 360.
yup thats the one i'm talking about. thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement