Rifle build from scratch - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Question Rifle build from scratch

Anyone ever done this? I got my Midway USA catalog today and they basically sell EVERYTHING to build some firearms. I was thinking it would be a cool project to build a tactical Remi 700 style rifle. Difficulty level? It would be a long project piecing it together for a few months or so. I think it would be cool to learn as I go along. The catalog has a parts breakdown for the rifle itself. Any thoughts?

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 06:31 PM
Factory Issue

The difficulty with Remingtons is getting the headspace right. Savages are way easier. The upside to Remingtons is, there's no shortage of parts and tools for them. I recommend a video armorer's course for the gun you want to build.

Give me a dollar.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 06:35 PM
Packin' up...

I got the book too... i'm afraid to open it up, i'll want everything

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yale View Post
The difficulty with Remingtons is getting the headspace right. Savages are way easier. The upside to Remingtons is, there's no shortage of parts and tools for them. I recommend a video armorer's course for the gun you want to build.
Yeah, I will have to do some further research. I have no clue. I figure its a little more than piecing a model together.

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 06:47 PM
Factory Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip McNeely View Post
Yeah, I will have to do some further research. I have no clue. I figure its a little more than piecing a model together.
If it makes it easier, there are a few companies with conversion barrels for the Rem 700 that incorporate the Savage barrel nut. You have to have more tools to take the old barrel off than to put the new one on. There's always the 5R barreled actions, or Sniper Central is running a special for an entry level tac rifle. All either would need is a bedding job, the bolt lugs lapped, and the action trued. Beyond that, factory rifles are usually built with some "free-bore," or extra space in the chamber throat. Custom loads do a lot to overcome that shortfall, so you might look into a nice single stage press and just start making custom ammo. Also, if you do reload already, and you're going to go to the trouble of having a custom barrel cut, have a matching die made at the same time.

Entry level Howa:
http://www.snipercentral.com/entrypackage.htm

Entry level Remington:
http://www.snipercentral.com/rementrypack.phtml

Give me a dollar.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yale View Post
If it makes it easier, there are a few companies with conversion barrels for the Rem 700 that incorporate the Savage barrel nut. You have to have more tools to take the old barrel off than to put the new one on. There's always the 5R barreled actions, or Sniper Central is running a special for an entry level tac rifle. All either would need is a bedding job, the bolt lugs lapped, and the action trued. Beyond that, factory rifles are usually built with some "free-bore," or extra space in the chamber throat. Custom loads do a lot to overcome that shortfall, so you might look into a nice single stage press and just start making custom ammo. Also, if you do reload already, and you're going to go to the trouble of having a custom barrel cut, have a matching die made at the same time.

Entry level Howa:
http://www.snipercentral.com/entrypackage.htm

Entry level Remington:
http://www.snipercentral.com/rementrypack.phtml
Yikes, I didnt know it required a press or special tools. The stocks and barrels are all pre-cut I thought and the other pieces just bolt together. I figured it took no custom fabrication. Hmmmm..

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 06:54 PM
Factory Issue

Quote:
Yikes, I didnt know it required a press or special tools. The stocks and barrels are all pre-cut I thought and the other pieces just bolt together. I figured it took no custom fabrication. Hmmmm..
Yeah, it's like when they say, "You want accuracy? Spend as much on your scope as you do on your rifle." Folks should start mentioning reloading in there somewhere.

Give me a dollar.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 07:23 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

building bolt guns is pretty easy, just buy the parts and you'll have to learn it. Best way to learn.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 11:49 PM
Time Served

Yeah I received my catalog also looking to build parts for an AR-15

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
building bolt guns is pretty easy, just buy the parts and you'll have to learn it. Best way to learn.
But that being said, its just bolt on stuff correct? As I looked at it, it looked that way. It didnt look like I had to machine anything, or needed any special tooling. Or am I totally wrong?

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-09-2010, 11:59 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

Quote:
But that being said, its just bolt on stuff correct? As I looked at it, it looked that way. It didnt look like I had to machine anything, or needed any special tooling. Or am I totally wrong?
There are special tools involved depending on how intricate you want your build to be. One of the things you will want to take care in doing is your head gap as Yale mentioned. It is not that difficult, it just takes time - I enjoy that kind of work. Also, depending on how accurate you want this weapon, you'll need to invest in some lapping compound and elbow grease to match your bolt lugs.

Here is a good resource for you to look over:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/lid=1...n_700___Part_I
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 07:27 AM
African Booty Scratcher

yeah i am wishing i wouldnt have just got that catalog. its cutting into my vert fund.

god bless.

You don't have to earn my respect, you have to earn my disrespect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Standing in a cell with tears running down your face and blood down your legs is no way to protest.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 03:57 PM
Old Fart

Buying a FN (Win mdl 70) barreled action from CDNN investments would be very easy. You buy your stock, bed and fit to the action.

I tried to find Remington actions on MidwayUSA yesterday and couldn't find one. They were selling the actions with the old trigger, not the X Mark Pro (Improved) that is current production. The old price was $450 for a steel one.

You can get a stainless SPS mdl 700 for $550 or so new. Pull the Hogue stock off and factory barrel off and put on a MacMillan A5 stock($700) and Hart/Shilen/Krieger/Lilja bull barrel($300) for 1k in parts sell the factory barrel and stock for $100 each, and have a rifle as nice as Kimber 8400 tactical that runs 2.2k. And this is all stainless.

A little bit cheaper would be to get the SPS chromoly, but a nice Douglas barrel on there and a H&S precision (Remington take-off part) on there for <1k.

"Don't taze me, bro."
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-10-2010, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

I was reading up today at work on mating the stock and barrel and that looks complicated. hmmmmmmm

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

Sponsored Links
Advertisement