reloading newbie questions. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Fear the lawn gnome

reloading newbie questions.

I'm wanting to give this a try. I figured it would be a good winter time activity when i cant get out of the house. All im looking to reload right now is 223/5.56 and down the road 45acp as soon as i shoot the rounds i have now. I will eventually do 243, 308, 223, 45acp and maybe 9mm. I'm aware of that you can usually find these rounds with not much issue.

For me i just want to build a good clean accurate round for all of my guns. Plus it'll give me something todo when im bored and cant afford more gun parts haha.

We have a public range by my house a few miles that i can go scrounge brass from and i usually give alot of guys my old brass that ive met there.

Any tips on what to buy? I'm not sure if i will look for used or buy new depending on the price. I would say for sure over the next year all i will need to load is 223 and 243.

Thanks

What you might call solitude is something i look forward to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 05:38 PM
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeperLS View Post
I'm wanting to give this a try. I figured it would be a good winter time activity when i cant get out of the house. All im looking to reload right now is 223/5.56 and down the road 45acp as soon as i shoot the rounds i have now. I will eventually do 243, 308, 223, 45acp and maybe 9mm. I'm aware of that you can usually find these rounds with not much issue.

For me i just want to build a good clean accurate round for all of my guns. Plus it'll give me something todo when im bored and cant afford more gun parts haha.

We have a public range by my house a few miles that i can go scrounge brass from and i usually give alot of guys my old brass that ive met there.

Any tips on what to buy? I'm not sure if i will look for used or buy new depending on the price. I would say for sure over the next year all i will need to load is 223 and 243.

Thanks
Go buy the Hornady Reloading Book.

Read the entire book and understand it, its really well written.

Next:

If you are only going to reload .223, you're probably better off just buying factory loads (hate to say that.)

Over the past month or so, Cabela's had Hornady 223 Soft Points on sale for 25 bucks a box of 50. (When you consider buying powder, primers, and bullets), I doubt you can do it any cheaper at this point. (Sad to say).

However if you are going to reload 45acp, you'll make up money fast. (Box of 45acp Defense loads is like 25 bucks a box of 25, and you can reload 100 for about 30 dollars).

Get yourself a single stage press, dies, trimmer, digital calipers, digital scale, powder measure, and a hornady reload book.

BECAREFUL, always start your loads LIGHT. Read the portion of the reload book about over pressure signs and TAKE NOTE of that. If you see those signs in your loads, BACK OFF immediately. You could be making a bomb in your own gun.

2006 Mustang GT
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 10:31 AM
Old Fart

+1 read a book. dig though the reloading sites.

Initial Costs:

100 primers - 4$ (upwards of $55/1000 or even more)
1lb powder - 28$
brass - free pick up on range or 28$/50 rifle pieces.
bullets - 25$ for nice hunting rifle bullet 100cnt.

Lee kit - $100, $20 for trimming setup, $30 dies, single stage.

Redding kit - $500, dies $120, single stage.

Dillon 650 - 600$ plus trimming equipment $150, progressive machine.

If you make your own 45 or 9mm bullets, it gets really cheap. Basically primer and powder. 1lb of Pistol powder goes a long way. But 1lb of rifle powder for a magnum cartridge disappears quick.

"Don't taze me, bro."

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-08-2010, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Fear the lawn gnome

Its a bummer living where i live. Only place ive found with the hornady sp's that my rifle likes is 32 bucks a box and a 45 min drive one way. If i could find it for 25 a box before tax id be all over it. Ive already ordered the lyman book. thought about picking up the hornady book as well.

What you might call solitude is something i look forward to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement