Is Llama worth a shit? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
'tis the season

Is Llama worth a shit?

Ok, I am fairly new to the whole gun world so forgive me if this is a stupid question.

Is Llama any good? I've been wanting to pick up a 1911 frame gun for a while but due to having a 5 week old baby, money is tight. If I could get a Llama full size 1911 for $300 would it be worth it? I could also get the Llama Mini-Max for about $50 less.

Thanks.

2002 Corvette --Sold
2009 Mazda CX7 GT--Turbo baby hauler
1976 #s matching Formula--Weekend fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 09:38 AM
Banned

My friends dad has had one for 20 years or something and loves it still.

The same guy has Colts and carries a Kimber compact 9mm.

I think I remember him saying you could tell the difference in the build quality, trigger pull,etc.. But at the end of the day his grouping wasn't much worse and it hasn't jammed or misfired on him.

I would stick to the full size unless you want to carry. If you carry get a sub-nosed hammerless revolver.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 10:46 AM
The Rise Of COBRA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptic5.0 View Post
Ok, I am fairly new to the whole gun world so forgive me if this is a stupid question.

Is Llama any good? I've been wanting to pick up a 1911 frame gun for a while but due to having a 5 week old baby, money is tight. If I could get a Llama full size 1911 for $300 would it be worth it? I could also get the Llama Mini-Max for about $50 less.

Thanks.
It good for what it is... Just don't get any ideas on trying to modify it like a Colt/Kimber... $300 is the market price but thats on the extreme end. If you can get it for less the better the deal is for you. This goes for Rock Island guns as well. I repeat good for what it is which is a good solid truck gun in if its ever stolen, then its not gonna hurt your feelings as much. But again if you're gonna start putting all the hop ups on it, then you're better off buying a Kimber, Colt etc. and the list goes on.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 11:38 PM Thread Starter
'tis the season

Thanks for the information guys.

It wouldn't be for carry, just to have. I am a manager at a pawn shop so we get different guns in all the time. I may hold off until we get another Kimber or Para. Maybe by then I'll be able to afford it. lol.

2002 Corvette --Sold
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 03:45 AM
Lifer

Personally, if I were in your situation, I'd get the Llama. You can always use it until you can afford something better. Having a Llama is better than having no gun at all.

Besides, you can always find someone to buy it off of you for pretty much the same price and get your money back.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 07:16 AM
Lifer

I have an old Llama Comanche .357 that works just fine.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 07:29 AM
African Booty Scratcher

personally i would go to academy and get the rossi 5shot .38 +p for 259.99 that said i have never owned, shot, or held a llama piece. just going on word of mouth. then again, opinions are like...........

congrats on the kid!

god bless.

You don't have to earn my respect, you have to earn my disrespect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Standing in a cell with tears running down your face and blood down your legs is no way to protest.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 08:32 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
personally i would go to academy and get the rossi 5shot .38 +p for 259.99 that said i have never owned, shot, or held a llama piece. just going on word of mouth. then again, opinions are like...........

congrats on the kid!

god bless.
That's another good option.

I've shot a couple of Llamas, and while they are not the prettiest guns, nor do they have the fit/finish of a Kimber/Smith/Sig/Colt etc, they will eat ammo all day long. They are not precision guns, but they will damn sure stop an attacker at 7 yards.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 03:22 PM
Time Served

Llama Hand Guns

I have a Llama 380 that looks like a baby 1911. I have owned it for 20+ years and I like it pretty well. It is small enough to make a pretty good carry gun or a "Brief Case" gun. Shoots pretty good.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
'tis the season

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post
Personally, if I were in your situation, I'd get the Llama. You can always use it until you can afford something better. Having a Llama is better than having no gun at all.

Besides, you can always find someone to buy it off of you for pretty much the same price and get your money back.
Well, I have a Glock 22 so it's not that I have NO guns, just no 1911 frame guns.

Again, thanks for all the info guys. As I said, I am fairly new but I definitely want to get more into the gun scene.

2002 Corvette --Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement