Starter safe - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Extreme Clean!

Starter safe

I was reminded of a thread about safes in here when I saw this today...

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...o?itemid=95824

I realize it's not fire proof, but for $250 it had decent space and construction FWIW.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 08:27 PM
Time Served

Line the inside with sheetrock, that is all that is in my Liberty that I paid $1500 for

67 daily driver-restomoded,65 vert,68 gt-500kr vert, and my own junkyard
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 09:26 PM
GROWED UP WRONG

Actually does not look too bad for the price, would have to see in person.
The bolt style safe is the only way I would go, and is a plus on this safe.
If it is shitty in person check out the Stack-Ons at Academy.
http://www.academy.com/index.php?pag...340-03254-0924
We got one for my father in law and for the money is really not bad at all.
We bolted it to the wall and concrete and used large fender washers on the bolts and it would take a truck to yank it out.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 10:48 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

safes

Wow another i'm gonna buy another shitty bargain box "gun safe"post. Ok one more time don't buy that or the stack on junk joe idiot burglar can get in to and no thats not a 1500 dollar Liberty with sheetrock in it. There is a reason there is a price difference just like everything else trust the pro's on this one save your money don't buy junk.

I open safes every day all day long from that junk that doesn't work for shit to bank vaults and everything in between skip the crap and do some research and buy a real safe. And i don't want to give you the" hookup" or sell you anything just save your money and buy something real.

I tried this before and folks didn't listen. Good luck.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 10:54 PM
Lifer

I need one of those safes for my ammo so I can get it out of my safe and make room for more guns.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 10:57 PM
Cummins > Powerstroke

Check out Lowes.. its a bit more money, but they have a Liberty safe thats 12.2cu ft. Its like 55"x21"x15". I believe the SKU is 292952. My cousin picked one up yesterday. 20 min fireproof, its a Liberty and its decent priced. You can find a 10% off coupon for lowes and it comes out to $385 out the door.

Link:
http://www.lowes.com/pd_292952-10283...20safe$y=0$x=0

2006 Dodge Ram Megacab Cummins
1969 Mustang Coupe
1969 Mustang Mach1
1969 Chevy C10
1966 Mustang Coupe
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 11:08 PM
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by loc712 View Post
Wow another i'm gonna buy another shitty bargain box "gun safe"post. Ok one more time don't buy that or the stack on junk joe idiot burglar can get in to and no thats not a 1500 dollar Liberty with sheetrock in it. There is a reason there is a price difference just like everything else trust the pro's on this one save your money don't buy junk.

I open safes every day all day long from that junk that doesn't work for shit to bank vaults and everything in between skip the crap and do some research and buy a real safe. And i don't want to give you the" hookup" or sell you anything just save your money and buy something real.

A house alarm and even a Bargain Safe like the orginal poster linked will stop a burglar.

No thief in his right mind would go into my house and try to get my safe (Its bolted to the wall and to the concrete foundation) with the alarm going off. My safe might not be the most expensive, but I don't think anyone can get it in under 8 minutes. And It would be VERY Tough to get my alarm to shut up without knowing where the battery backups are (there's more than one and in different spots), getting to where the siren/loud speaker is, and to find the Cell Phone thats linked to the alarm.

Even if a person had a cheapish safe, and with a decent home alarm, no thief is going to stick around and risk the cops showing up within 8 minutes. I know in my case, you can't get my safe out in under 10 minutes. (No one is going to lift 800 pounds very easily and especially since its secured in a wall and in the foundation.

2006 Mustang GT
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 11:26 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post
I need one of those safes for my ammo so I can get it out of my safe and make room for more guns.
BINGO....that is what I thought as soon as I opened the link. It would make a nice ammo locker out in my garage on the outer wall. For the price with lug bolts it is not a bad deal.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 12:09 AM
GROWED UP WRONG

It makes a lot of sense to save your money untill you can buy a better one. While your at it put the money you are saving in the same spot that your guns are right now that way if/when someone breaks in they can take it all.....

A cheap, "starter safe" is better then no safe. It is cheap, buy it and use it for now and then use it for an ammo locker later. I am willing to bet 9 out of 10 times it will stop a burglar, it is not like you are going to have a fucking safe cracker break into your house. If you can afford better now, but just trying to skimp step it up.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 12:51 AM Thread Starter
Extreme Clean!

Quote:
Originally Posted by loc712 View Post

I posted a relatively inexpensive safe for those that might need one to start out. In this case we are talking about something being better than nothing, that's just something you can't argue about.

Last edited by Samhain; 01-17-2010 at 01:13 AM.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 01:03 AM
CJ
User may be editing post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
I was reminded of a thread about safes in here when I saw this today...

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...o?itemid=95824

I realize it's not fire proof, but for $250 it had decent space and construction FWIW.
Hey sam, now that you're looking into a fire proof safe you can buy these other 2 air purifiers I have.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 01:22 AM Thread Starter
Extreme Clean!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
Hey sam, now that you're looking into a fire proof safe you can buy these other 2 air purifiers I have.
LMAO! That was only eight years ago! It was a crap shoot, one died weeks after I got it and the other is running in my office as I type this. As far as a good safe goes, I'm covered. I have one of these bad muthers...

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 09:08 AM
Lifer

Has a thief ever actually tried to take a gun safe out of someone's house or do they open them up and take out what's inside them?
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 02:41 PM
Factory Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hass View Post
Has a thief ever actually tried to take a gun safe out of someone's house or do they open them up and take out what's inside them?
Furniture dollies are cheap, and plentiful. If they know you're gone for the day, they can clean you out fast.

Give me a dollar.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 02:53 PM
Time Served

The chick in the ad is kinda short.

"It's very dangerous to wave to people you don't know. Because what if they don't have hands? They'll think you're cocky."
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 06:06 PM
Time Served

I have that Harbor Fright safe, and have no issues with the quality and/or construction. You can even use the 20% discount 'one time coupon' and get it for $200-bucks.

The girl in the pic is about 4' 10" tall.

You can bolt it to the wall and the floor.

Bolt design, and electronic keypad.

Heavy, so nobody is carrying it away.

I am happy with it, but also have an 'expensive safe' that is nicer than this one. Long short is 'if this is all you can afford, than it is a good deal'. Otherwise, spend a few bucks more on a fireproof safe.
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 07:07 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yale View Post
Furniture dollies are cheap, and plentiful. If they know you're gone for the day, they can clean you out fast.
But if it's secured to concrete and studs.........
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 07:51 PM
Old Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hass View Post
I've never heard of one taking the safe that was bolted down. I have heard them work for hours in a home to get it open, when the homeowner didn't have an alarm.

Everything I've read, when someone has a gun safe bolted to the floor and secured to the studs in the wall, no thief has taken its contents when the homeowner had an active alarm. The most the thief takes are things left out, they just leave the gun safe alone.

I've bolted down my gun safe to the ground and studs in the wall. I have an active alarm, I even have insurance on my firearms.

I've even bolted down my personal document firesafe.

Like I said, if you take the effort to secure your stuff, and put a good alarm on your home, you shouldn't ever have your firearms taken from you.

2006 Mustang GT
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 08:07 PM
Now in the ATX!!

I think dicks sports and outdoors has one for less then $200. Can't post a link, posting from phone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement