Anyone built their own 1911? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 11:20 AM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Anyone built their own 1911?

I just got the new RRA catalog in the mail and I saw where they have 1911's and 1911 parts for sale (didn't realize they made 1911's). Just curious if anyone's built their own and was it cheaper then just buying one out right? Who's parts did you go with as well?

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 11:36 AM
I Я Invizabul

Its gonna be more expensive if you use higher end parts. Now Sarco has a 1911 frame for $109 and a parts kit with the rest of the stuff you would need for $215. Tot al build cost would be about $350 - $400 for a complete gun
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 11:36 AM
CJ
User may be editing post.

You get a higher quality gun for less price. It is cheaper, but the real objective is to get every little part exactly the way you want it.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 11:40 AM
I Я Invizabul

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
The real objective is to get every little part exactly the way you want it.
This is the only reason I would build myself a 1911.
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
Its gonna be more expensive if you use higher end parts. Now Sarco has a 1911 frame for $109 and a parts kit with the rest of the stuff you would need for $215. Tot al build cost would be about $350 - $400 for a complete gun
I'll look into them. Cash is tight and will be for a while so saving money on a build is a good thing.

Quote:
You get a higher quality gun for less price. It is cheaper, but the real objective is to get every little part exactly the way you want it.
That was my thought in building one.

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 12:00 PM
Lifer

check out www.brownells.com

They sent me an entire 1911 catalog a while back. You can do fucking anything you can think of with that catalog.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 12:03 PM
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post

They sent me an entire 1911 catalog a while back. You can do fucking anything you can think of with that catalog.
Such as taking over 3rd world countries, keeping doors open, and making tables level.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 01:30 PM
Lifer

Sombody on here built one awhile back, it came out very nice. Maybe they will chime in. If you do a search, the thread was titled "1911 Build".

1957 Chevy Belair
1953 M38A1

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:

Good stuff there Matt, thanks man.

post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 02:14 PM
Gunga galunga

I would consider buying a frame and slide from a company that will fit them for you then you can start your build from there...

My next pistol is going to be a long slide 10mm www.fusionfirearms.com

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 03:12 PM
dee
Lifer

+1 on Fusion I'm thinking about buying one of their Comander frames.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

I took a look at their stuff and I'm looking for more of a pro carry or carry frame.

post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 04:36 PM
GROWED UP WRONG

I have the same Brownell's 1911 catalog and have priced a build out.
You are not going to come in any cheaper then say a new Kimber, but you will have a nicer custom 1911.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped54 View Post
I have the same Brownell's 1911 catalog and have priced a build out.
You are not going to come in any cheaper then say a new Kimber, but you will have a nicer custom 1911.
Yeah I get what you're saying, I think that is worth it all together.

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 08:05 PM
GROWED UP WRONG

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMan View Post
Yeah I get what you're saying, I think that is worth it all together.
And if cash is tight you can buy piece by piece and not be out all the cash up front...
I will do it one day, just have other things I want right now.
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 10:13 PM
dee
Lifer

Another thing to keep in mind is that depending on the stuff you buy you'll need some special tools that can get a lil pricey.
post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-16-2010, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped54 View Post
And if cash is tight you can buy piece by piece and not be out all the cash up front...
I will do it one day, just have other things I want right now.
I plan on doing a little shopping around before I make any decisions but I'll probably buy parts a little bit by bit. I'll definitely make a thread for the build when I start.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee View Post
Another thing to keep in mind is that depending on the stuff you buy you'll need some special tools that can get a lil pricey.
Just curious, what sort of special tools does one need?

post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 08:46 AM
dee
Lifer

If no sights are cut you'll have to get brouches, mainspring housing tool, sight tools, and its not a must but there is a trigger base that makes setting the trigger/safety up.
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 11:43 AM
Time Served

I have built a few of the 1911's and just added parts to others. The nice thing about building your own 1911 is that you will pick every part that is in it. You will also be able to set it up exactly as you want it as far as finish and if you want special cuts or not.

Will it save you money? The first one I built was stainless with all good parts, no MIM. After sights is was about 1100.00. Of course all the internal parts were tool steel and machined. Now you can buy a Kimber for 1100.00, but you wont get good parts, and I am not bashing Kimber I own a few of them.

You would be better off buying a Rock Island 1911 for 400 bucks and just enjoying it. When money gets better, save up and get a nice piece.

Eric

93 Black Mustang GT

post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I have built a few of the 1911's and just added parts to others. The nice thing about building your own 1911 is that you will pick every part that is in it. You will also be able to set it up exactly as you want it as far as finish and if you want special cuts or not.

Will it save you money? The first one I built was stainless with all good parts, no MIM. After sights is was about 1100.00. Of course all the internal parts were tool steel and machined. Now you can buy a Kimber for 1100.00, but you wont get good parts, and I am not bashing Kimber I own a few of them.

You would be better off buying a Rock Island 1911 for 400 bucks and just enjoying it. When money gets better, save up and get a nice piece.

Eric
I appreciate the input Eric. What's your opinion on the Rock Island 1911's? Are they a decent start to build from later, at least for the frame?

post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 11:03 PM
Time Served

They are made in the Philippines. They are a good gun for shooting and having a good time with. I have owned two of them and still own one. It will shoot anything I toss in it.

Would I keep it for a 1000 plus build, I dont think so. If you are looking for a gun that you want to transform into a nice custom piece, get a Springfield GI or Mil Spec. Whatever one you can find cheaper. I have built up a Mil Spec and they were good out of the box. I did have to clean up the trigger track and deburr/polish some of the inside but it looked like quality stuff.

Eric

93 Black Mustang GT

Last edited by [email protected]; 01-19-2010 at 02:47 AM.
post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:

Thanks for the suggestion on this Matt, I just got their 1911 & their Ar-15 catalog in the mail today. Definitely what I was looking for.

post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 08:37 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion on this Matt, I just got their 1911 & their Ar-15 catalog in the mail today. Definitely what I was looking for.
There's a shit-ton of parts in there, right?
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
There's a shit-ton of parts in there, right?
Ha ha, yes sir! I feel like a kid with the christmas catalog, I've got my pen and pad right here next to me as I write down parts & part numbers.

post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 08:43 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Ha ha, yes sir! I feel like a kid with the christmas catalog, I've got my pen and pad right here next to me as I write down parts & part numbers.
Yea, I kept the catalog in the bathroom and would drool over it.
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 08:45 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Building a 1911 won't be too bad either, I figure I'll have some extra cash for a part or two a month. May take a little while to build it but I don't mind, it'll make it that much better in the long run.

post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 08:45 PM
CJ

Quote:
Funny, I have mine in the same place. Something tells me that's going to change soon though.
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 08:47 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Funny, I have mine in the same place. Something tells me that's going to change soon though.
The catalog is the perfect size for when you need to waft the stench away too.

post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-02-2010, 08:50 PM
Lifer

Quote:
The catalog is the perfect size for when you need to waft the stench away too.
Yup, but I had to throw it away before I caved to temptation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement