Sig Mosquito? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Sig Mosquito?

Thinking about getting one and wondered what opinions you guys had about them. Academy has the basic black one for 299 and theres another shop down the road from BS that has the threaded barrel or the nickel slide for ~330 ish.

Are they real picky on ammo or a pain in the ass to take down to clean?

Jon

CLICK for Kate's Story
Click to Listen

WTB - SIG Mosquito

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 05:59 PM
The Rise Of COBRA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvereight View Post
Thinking about getting one and wondered what opinions you guys had about them. Academy has the basic black one for 299 and theres another shop down the road from BS that has the threaded barrel or the nickel slide for ~330 ish.

Well I've known 2 people that swear that to be the truth about being jam-o-matics without cci ammo. You may want to stick to the tried and true browning/ruger/s&w .22's.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 06:50 PM
CJ
User may be editing post.

Don't buy one. They jam like a son of a bitch, most of my friends that own them always tell me "oh, they're not so bad, as long as you use this ammo, this ammo, and this kind of this ammo, etc." Truth is they jam constantly and it's just a pain in the ass to keep up with all that shit. Get a ruger MKIII, or Walther P22. My ruger MKII has never jammed once in 50,000 rounds.. I think Cobra will reinforce that as well. I believe you could work them to accept any ammo and not jam, you'd just have to find someone willing to take the time to do it for you. I'm positive you could do it though.

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 07:14 PM
Lifer

I've got one, but you have to keep them fairly clean, and use ammo that is rated over 1350 fps.

I took it to the range GTG and ended up putting it back in the case because it wouldn't fire two rounds in a row.

I'll clean it up and sell it for $200

Last edited by 03trubluGT; 01-10-2010 at 07:52 PM.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 07:30 PM
que?

how much does a .22lr conversion kit cost for the glocks? glock 17 to be specific...
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Yikes, one picky problem child is enough (gsg-5 lol love it but lots of work) will have to look in to the rugers then. Just want a fun .22 semi auto pistol that will eat any ammo. The p22s seem to have their own set of problems so I hadn't been considering one of those.

Jon

CLICK for Kate's Story
Click to Listen

WTB - SIG Mosquito

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 07:57 PM
Lifer

Honestly, the .22 rimfire is a dirty cartridge, so you will have to clean ANY gun that eats it. My Ruger 10-22 is the same way. Even my Marlin Model 60s will start misfeeding (tube fed guns) when dirty.

I'd like to buy CJ's gun. I've never heard of one that will do that
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 08:10 PM
Time Served

Quote:

Buy a Walther p22. That is what I am aiming at *pun* ZING!

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 08:38 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by grove rat View Post
how much does a .22lr conversion kit cost for the glocks? glock 17 to be specific...
Those had been running about $260. Although, everywhere I've seen them has had them on backorder for quite some time now.

http://www.glockworld.com/category/1...sion_kits.aspx
http://www.allglock.com/category/177...sion_kits.aspx

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 09:15 AM
Lifer

i was thinking about getting one too, glad this thread was made! p22 it is for me!
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post
Honestly, the .22 rimfire is a dirty cartridge, so you will have to clean ANY gun that eats it. My Ruger 10-22 is the same way. Even my Marlin Model 60s will start misfeeding (tube fed guns) when dirty.

I'd like to buy CJ's gun. I've never heard of one that will do that
Not so much worried about having to clean it regularly but more worried about something that I have to take so far apart I can't figure out how to put it back together again. My only experience with pistol maintenance has been my SW9VE which come apart just like a glock.

The problem child needy GSG i refer too has had to have all the screws replaced with hex nuts then locktite'ed down, the rake down bolts needed to be replaced with actual push pins so you don't need a screw driver to get them loose, and ( forgive me I can't think of the proper names atm ) the bolt that holds the whole bolt assembly against the block has to be locktite'ed as well ( has to be redone every time you remove the assembly to clean it or come loose in about 100 rounds and misbehaves :P ). Not to mention some of the other stuff that probably ought ot be done like the trigger job, various polishing, and the firing pin mod.

I still love it, cause when its working its tons of fun, but between keeping the Mach and the GSG going I don't need another super needy toy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
Don't buy one. They jam like a son of a bitch, most of my friends that own them always tell me "oh, they're not so bad, as long as you use this ammo, this ammo, and this kind of this ammo, etc." Truth is they jam constantly and it's just a pain in the ass to keep up with all that shit. Get a ruger MKIII, or Walther P22. My ruger MKII has never jammed once in 50,000 rounds.. I think Cobra will reinforce that as well. I believe you could work them to accept any ammo and not jam, you'd just have to find someone willing to take the time to do it for you. I'm positive you could do it though.
Have the current p22s resolved whatever was causing the slides to crack? Really just wanted something cool to shoot at the range / land that was reliable. I stopped buying the bulk ammo after the last issue with the GSG so all I have now is the "good" HV ammo.

Short term I may just get a Marlin model 60 , though even with the negatives $200 for that skeeter is tempting. Almost bought a the one with a nickel slide and a threaded barrel.

Jon

CLICK for Kate's Story
Click to Listen

WTB - SIG Mosquito

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 05:41 PM
I Я Invizabul

Quote:
I've got one, I'll clean it up and sell it for $200

Tempting ... Wish I had the cash right now. I would love to buy one to tinker with and see if I could get it to feed bulk pack shit reliable.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 06:14 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
Just how far from wylie are you lol? the more I think about it the better that sounds.

Jon

CLICK for Kate's Story
Click to Listen

WTB - SIG Mosquito

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 07:00 PM
Metric Wrench

Mine runs like a champ. You have to break them in hard and dirty. With my Mosquito Sport I can expect about 1 failure every 200-300 rounds or so with decent brick ammo. It has barely under 4,000 rounds down the pipe. It likes the Winchester 333 packs, the Federal blue box, Federal lightning, and Rem Golden Bullets except that Golden Bullets have a lot of hard primers. When it was brand new all it wanted to run is CCI, Winchester Xpert (the red plastic boxes), and Golden Bullets. It's not so picky once broken in.

Jon
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 07:09 PM
CJ

Quote:
Not so much worried about having to clean it regularly but more worried about something that I have to take so far apart I can't figure out how to put it back together again. My only experience with pistol maintenance has been my SW9VE which come apart just like a glock.

The problem child needy GSG i refer too has had to have all the screws replaced with hex nuts then locktite'ed down, the rake down bolts needed to be replaced with actual push pins so you don't need a screw driver to get them loose, and ( forgive me I can't think of the proper names atm ) the bolt that holds the whole bolt assembly against the block has to be locktite'ed as well ( has to be redone every time you remove the assembly to clean it or come loose in about 100 rounds and misbehaves :P ). Not to mention some of the other stuff that probably ought ot be done like the trigger job, various polishing, and the firing pin mod.

I still love it, cause when its working its tons of fun, but between keeping the Mach and the GSG going I don't need another super needy toy.

Have the current p22s resolved whatever was causing the slides to crack? Really just wanted something cool to shoot at the range / land that was reliable. I stopped buying the bulk ammo after the last issue with the GSG so all I have now is the "good" HV ammo.

Short term I may just get a Marlin model 60 , though even with the negatives $200 for that skeeter is tempting. Almost bought a the one with a nickel slide and a threaded barrel.
The P22's rarely have the slide issue, I've never seen one myself, and if it happens Walther will usually replace the pistol. Most of their FTF problems are caused by bad magazines. Also, they have some feed issues relating generally to poor machining on the inside of the frame, all of which can be fixed with some time. I think they are good guns, but they are small and uncomfortable if you have large hands. The Ruger MKII/MKIII is probably the best .22LR pistol in my opinion, however it is a bitch to clean it. It isn't so much figuring out how to put it back together as much as it is getting the palm lever to lock the bolt in, that thing mystifies me every time. My solution is just to clean the gun while assembled - I can't even remember the last time I tore it down to clean it. It's been working so well for so many years I don't even pay attention to it very much anymore - whether it's clean or it's had 5,000 rounds through it the gun always works. It's the lowest maintenance gun I've ever owned, and I got it for free because the original owner took it apart and couldn't get it back together. After a few hours and a hole in my refrigerator I had it working again.

I would highly recommend you get a Ruger 10/22 if you're looking at a rifle. I don't think anyone would disagree they are probably the best .22LR out there. It's worth the money over a Marlin I assure you.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 07:10 PM
CJ

Quote:
I've got one, but you have to keep them fairly clean, and use ammo that is rated over 1350 fps.

I took it to the range GTG and ended up putting it back in the case because it wouldn't fire two rounds in a row.

I'll take it for $200.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 12:50 PM
Lifer

My wife has one and it works great, 50 rounds for about eight dollars U.S. You can't beat that.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 01:17 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
I'll take it for $200.
Lemme converse with Ian and see if he will let it go. I bought it for the boys to shoot, and Chan could care less. When it runs, Ian likes to shoot it.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 02:25 PM
I Я Invizabul

Quote:
Originally Posted by 564826 View Post
My wife has one and it works great, 50 rounds for about eight dollars U.S. You can't beat that.
You can buy 9mm for that price ... If I cant get a .22 to run the cheap shit, there is no point in shooting it.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-14-2010, 02:55 PM
Banned

Not an expert on .22 pistols, but I agree on the Ruger. I've shot the Walther and the Mosquito and they felt like too much plastic.. They also did not seem to be as reliably accurate, but I was only plinking, not in a controlled environment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement