1st ar-15 build completed - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 07:15 AM Thread Starter
African Booty Scratcher
 
ELVIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Uranus
Posts: 13,150
1st ar-15 build completed

so i picked up the charles daly upper that was posted yesterday in the classifieds. other than the lower parts kits and the buffer spring and tube the entire build was purchased on dfwstangs. $810 into it. i am ready to start building the other lower now!

god bless.

You don't have to earn my respect, you have to earn my disrespect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Standing in a cell with tears running down your face and blood down your legs is no way to protest.

Last edited by ELVIS; 10-12-2010 at 08:50 AM.
ELVIS is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 08:09 AM
Lifer
 
03trubluGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DFW
Posts: 12,430
Looks nice

What kind of rear sight are you going to put on it?

Michigan Industries has a nice rear flip up sight.
03trubluGT is offline  
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 10:19 AM
Every day is.............
 
cobrajet69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Keller
Posts: 9,150
Cool.

More pix as you go plz.


David
cobrajet69 is offline  
 
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 10:52 AM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Bagram Air Base, Afg
Posts: 2,094
Looks like fun.

I built 4 a year ago and am looking forward to my AR10 build next.
sonic93 is offline  
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 10:55 AM
blank
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In the Air
Posts: 2,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post
Looks nice

What kind of rear sight are you going to put on it?

Michigan Industries has a nice rear flip up sight.
Midwest Industries? That's what on my delton ar. I have a Yankee Hill also and like it too.
5.0LiterRiceEater is offline  
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
African Booty Scratcher
 
ELVIS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Uranus
Posts: 13,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post
Looks nice

What kind of rear sight are you going to put on it?

Michigan Industries has a nice rear flip up sight.
not real sure just yet. i dont really know anything about the AR rifles, this was a total learning experience. i know i want some type of scope on it, but i am not paying $400-500 for a scope on a rifle. i will never need/want to kill or hit anything at +100yards. i assume the flip up sight flips up and down as to not interfere with the scope? now i just need to find someone dumb enough to fire a rifle i built for the first couple of rounds to see if anything catastrophic is going to happen.

god bless.

You don't have to earn my respect, you have to earn my disrespect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean88gt View Post
Standing in a cell with tears running down your face and blood down your legs is no way to protest.
ELVIS is offline  
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 01:00 PM
!!!SLLAB YM KCUS
 
milk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: OC BITCH!!
Posts: 6,740
Chmon lee
milk is offline  
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 01:14 PM
Lifer
 
03trubluGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DFW
Posts: 12,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
not real sure just yet. i dont really know anything about the AR rifles, this was a total learning experience. i know i want some type of scope on it, but i am not paying $400-500 for a scope on a rifle. i will never need/want to kill or hit anything at +100yards. i assume the flip up sight flips up and down as to not interfere with the scope? now i just need to find someone dumb enough to fire a rifle i built for the first couple of rounds to see if anything catastrophic is going to happen.

god bless.
I'd just get one of these:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=5...E_CARRY_HANDLE

You can hit stuff all day long at 100 yards with that. You don't need a scope, hell, I have open sights on my work gun.

When the "Most interesting man in the world" needs advice, he calls me.
03trubluGT is offline  
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 01:40 PM
None
 
Jedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Anti-Newbie
Posts: 12,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post
You don't need a scope, hell, I have open sights on my work gun.
Yeah, but you can't hit the broad side of a barn if you were standing inside.

(runs away)
Jedi is offline  
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 02:09 PM
Lifer
 
03trubluGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DFW
Posts: 12,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
Yeah, but you can't hit the broad side of a barn if you were standing inside.

(runs away)
You can't outrun a .223!

I'll have you know I qualify with a 100% every time. All hits in the 10x ring up to 100 yards.
03trubluGT is offline  
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 02:17 PM
None
 
Jedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Anti-Newbie
Posts: 12,675
I keed.


Best thing about iron sights is that they don't need batteries and it'll take one hell of a wallop to knock them out of alignment.

I always laugh inside when i see the guy at the range with an $800 nightvision capable EoTech with magnifier and he can barely hit the paper. You don't need to spend money to be a good shot - just practice.
Jedi is offline  
post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 02:23 PM
#4 Best QB Ever
 
That_Is_My_El_Camino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Land of the Free
Posts: 29,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
now i just need to find someone dumb enough to fire a rifle i built for the first couple of rounds to see if anything catastrophic is going to happen.

god bless.
Geor will do it!


Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
That_Is_My_El_Camino is offline  
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 02:28 PM
None
 
Jedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Anti-Newbie
Posts: 12,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by That_Is_My_El_Camino View Post
Geor will do it!
Jedi is offline  
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 03:29 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET
 
HOOCBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DFW MUSTANGS . NET
Posts: 3,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
not real sure just yet. i dont really know anything about the AR rifles, this was a total learning experience. i know i want some type of scope on it, but i am not paying $400-500 for a scope on a rifle. i will never need/want to kill or hit anything at +100yards. i assume the flip up sight flips up and down as to not interfere with the scope? now i just need to find someone dumb enough to fire a rifle i built for the first couple of rounds to see if anything catastrophic is going to happen.

god bless.
I ain't skeered...I gotta function check mine as well. It's been together for over 6 months and I still haven't put a round through it.

HOOCBB is offline  
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 04:56 PM
Lifer
 
03trubluGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DFW
Posts: 12,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
now i just need to find someone dumb enough to fire a rifle i built for the first couple of rounds to see if anything catastrophic is going to happen.

.

If you weren't scared to come to Alpine to one of the GTGs, I'd do it.

God bless.

When the "Most interesting man in the world" needs advice, he calls me.
03trubluGT is offline  
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 05:18 PM
I Я Invizabul
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Candyland
Posts: 4,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post
If you weren't scared to come to Alpine to one of the GTGs, I'd do it.

God bless.
You gonna use a really long string?
Pokulski-Blatz is offline  
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 05:20 PM
Lifer
 
03trubluGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DFW
Posts: 12,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
You gonna use a really long string?
They sell an accessory at Pep Boys for that!

When the "Most interesting man in the world" needs advice, he calls me.
03trubluGT is offline  
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 05:21 PM
I Я Invizabul
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Candyland
Posts: 4,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post
They sell an accessory at Pep Boys for that!
Did those guys at the range give you a catalog?
Pokulski-Blatz is offline  
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 05:24 PM
Lifer
 
03trubluGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DFW
Posts: 12,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
Did those guys at the range give you a catalog?
Naw, I stopped by the PepBoys on Lancaster and picked one up!

When the "Most interesting man in the world" needs advice, he calls me.
03trubluGT is offline  
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 07:54 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi View Post
I keed.


Best thing about iron sights is that they don't need batteries and it'll take one hell of a wallop to knock them out of alignment.

I always laugh inside when i see the guy at the range with an $800 nightvision capable EoTech with magnifier and he can barely hit the paper. You don't need to spend money to be a good shot - just practice.

Agreed. Spend the cash on ammo and practice and you'll be way better off than the guy with the Tacticool toys.

If you can't hit at 100 yards with an AR and iron sights.... it's time for a thicker set of lenses.
AnthonyS is offline  
post #21 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 08:00 PM
Lifer
 
Trip McNeely's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 29,396
Hey Paul if you want to sell a complete rifle let me know a price bud.

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

Trip McNeely is offline  
post #22 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-05-2010, 08:12 PM
#4 Best QB Ever
 
That_Is_My_El_Camino's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Land of the Free
Posts: 29,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip McNeely View Post
Hey Paul if you want to sell a complete rifle let me know a price bud.
STRAW PURCHASE, STRAW PURCHASE, CALL THE ATF! jk


Quote:
Originally Posted by DON SVO View Post
Women: vaginal life support.
That_Is_My_El_Camino is offline  
post #23 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 12:13 AM
I Я Invizabul
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Candyland
Posts: 4,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post
Naw, I stopped by the PepBoys on Lancaster and picked one up!
Didnt know they had a camera selection also ....

Pokulski-Blatz is offline  
post #24 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 12:14 AM
I Я Invizabul
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Candyland
Posts: 4,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip McNeely View Post
Hey Paul if you want to sell a complete rifle let me know a price bud.
Just build your own ... hell I could give ya a hand if ya like. You can get away with building a flat top 16" ar for about 600 ish
Pokulski-Blatz is offline  
post #25 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 12:27 AM
You never go full retard
 
MotoMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: back in the gym.
Posts: 9,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
Just build your own ... hell I could give ya a hand if ya like. You can get away with building a flat top 16" ar for about 600 ish
Really? What brands would you use?

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
MotoMan is offline  
post #26 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 12:48 AM
I Я Invizabul
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Candyland
Posts: 4,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMan View Post
Really? What brands would you use?
A kit rifle or take more time and piece it together. Build cost could be in the range of $550 - $750 depending on brands and options.

I could put a Del Ton rifle together for roughly $575 plus shipping and tax on the receiver. There are other options to get it even cheaper but it take more time to assemble all the parts. One could build a pretty good rifle for about $700 and a decent serviceable rifle for about $600 right now.
Pokulski-Blatz is offline  
post #27 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 09:07 AM
Factory Issue
 
Yale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Shippensburg, PA
Posts: 12,295
Hell, there's a company offering $55 lowers right now. I'll try and find 'em.

Give me a dollar.
Yale is offline  
post #28 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 09:12 AM
Colorado Dreamin'
 
Chili's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Clueless, Texas
Posts: 13,881
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELVIS View Post
not real sure just yet. i dont really know anything about the AR rifles, this was a total learning experience. i know i want some type of scope on it, but i am not paying $400-500 for a scope on a rifle. i will never need/want to kill or hit anything at +100yards. i assume the flip up sight flips up and down as to not interfere with the scope? now i just need to find someone dumb enough to fire a rifle i built for the first couple of rounds to see if anything catastrophic is going to happen.

god bless.
Who needs a scope for shots over 100 yards? I am good with open sights for 300 meters or under.

90 Bronco

When I get sad I stop being sad and be AWESOME instead. True story. - Barney Stinson

A lie is a great story that someone ruined with the truth. - Barney Stinson
Chili is offline  
post #29 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 09:12 AM
I Я Invizabul
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Candyland
Posts: 4,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yale View Post
Hell, there's a company offering $55 lowers right now. I'll try and find 'em.
They are back ordered for a little while .. they were $50 with $8 shipping for as many lowers as you want. I think it was SI Defense.
Pokulski-Blatz is offline  
post #30 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 09:24 AM
Censored
 
big_tiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 3,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
They are back ordered for a little while .. they were $50 with $8 shipping for as many lowers as you want. I think it was SI Defense.
How good do you think the quality is?

Doors Done Rite
big_tiger is offline  
post #31 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 09:28 AM
I Я Invizabul
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Candyland
Posts: 4,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_tiger View Post
How good do you think the quality is?
From what I have read they arent bad but not the best. I would say somewhere around average. But like I said, they will be on back order for a while. I dont have a clue when they will be running another $50 sale.
Pokulski-Blatz is offline  
post #32 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 10:19 AM
Censored
 
big_tiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 3,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
From what I have read they arent bad but not the best. I would say somewhere around average. But like I said, they will be on back order for a while. I dont have a clue when they will be running another $50 sale.
I was thinking about building a cheap one and make my other a 20" heavy model.

I have a 16" heavy barrel (the only 16" barrel model1sales had) and I want to change it to a longer barrel.

If anyone wants to trade lmk.

Doors Done Rite
big_tiger is offline  
post #33 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 11:02 AM
Lifer
 
bronco71's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Farmers Branch/Sulphur Bluff
Posts: 2,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by big_tiger View Post
I was thinking about building a cheap one and make my other a 20" heavy model.

I have a 16" heavy barrel (the only 16" barrel model1sales had) and I want to change it to a longer barrel.

If anyone wants to trade lmk.
Have you checked Model 1 at the show? They usually bring several stripped barrels in different lengths and calibers that don't always show to be in stock; plus no waiting.....

They should be at Market Hall this weekend.
bronco71 is offline  
post #34 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 11:05 AM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 14,194
Needs an M203 to put that groove in the barrel to use.

Nice gun
David is offline  
post #35 of 35 (permalink) Old 01-06-2010, 11:31 AM
Censored
 
big_tiger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 3,699
Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco71 View Post
Have you checked Model 1 at the show? They usually bring several stripped barrels in different lengths and calibers that don't always show to be in stock; plus no waiting.....

They should be at Market Hall this weekend.
I started the bill back when the election was going on, and I bought it back when Obama first got elected.

I somehow got in when it was dealers only and was the first inline to buy the only 16" complete upper they had in stock.

Doors Done Rite
big_tiger is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome