Sig 229 vs. XDM 40 - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Sports weenie @ full attn

Exclamation Sig 229 vs. XDM 40

I'm looking for my first handgun and have narrowed it down to these two I believe. I haven't done a ton of research, but from what I have read, these two would be a good fit for me. I'm going to get my CHL, but don't know if I'll conceal carry it very often. This will be more of a home/truck defense handgun.

I was set on the XDM, but my dad has the Sig so I shot that today and pretty much fell in love with it. It fits my hand well, it feels very solid, and I like the decocker. I haven't shot the XDM yet, but hopefully will soon. The Sig is a couple hundred dollars more, but from what I've read, it's worth it. I know ya'll will tell me to shoot the XDM before I make a decision, and I will, but I was just wanting to hear pros and cons of either firearm.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 03:14 PM
Time Served

both great pistols IMO.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 03:15 PM
que?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZYouL8R View Post
I'm going to get my CHL, but don't know if I'll conceal carry it very often.
lemme guess, you are only gonna carry when you think you might need it?

just giving you shit man

i would try to shot both of them at the same time(you know what i mean), also try a glock and/or h&k as well. they are all good guns

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 03:24 PM
Time Served

i was going to suggest the glock as well. i carry a glock 22(.40). i personally love it. my dad has the sig 229. ive shot it and its a very nice weapon, just outta my price range. have you seen sigs new gun? i forget the model number but its real small. i know its a .380. it would be a perfect "pocket" gun.

corey

1993 coupe
machine works built 306
black on black
5spd.

"What ever is the hardest, takes the longest, and makes me the maddest...thats what I want to do."
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 04:07 PM
Time Served

iv got the XDM 40 i love it i use it as my ccw with a crossbreed supertuck and i have no problems with it but im a big guy at 6'5 250lbs so its easier for me to conceal a full sized pistol my vote is for the XDM

R.I.P. Lcpl Ivan I. Wilson K.I.A. July 21 2008
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 06:12 PM Thread Starter

I held both at the gun shop. The Sig seemed more solid and better made, yet heavier. The grip was shorter, which wasn't a problem since I have small, girlish hands. The worker there made a comment that the Sig wouldn't work for my wife because her fingers were too short to fully pull the trigger since it's a DA/SA, and the trigger is pretty far forward. She didn't seem to have a problem at the range, but she only fired a few rounds.

I guess it comes down to reliability and the safety features. The Sig doesn't have a safety per se, just the DA/SA and the decocker. Like I said, I haven't shot the XDM so I'm not familiar with its safety features. The Sig has the traditional hammer whereas the XDM has the firing pin. I'm not too familiar with the pin so I'm not sure if it makes a difference.

Anyone have any specific feedback on either firearm, pros/cons, or a comparison?

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 06:43 PM
Gunga galunga

I like XD's and own a few of them, I prefer having that consistent trigger pull. The XD is going to be like a SA every single time, compared to the sig that will have a long and heavy DA pull if left uncocked. All the safeties on an XD are passive; grip safety, trigger safety, out of battery safety, firing pin safety etc.

Both are great pistols and you wouldn't go wrong with either

"Apres moi le deluge"

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 07:00 PM
Time Served

i have an xd in .45 cal...use it often...i like the sig a little more for straight range shooting...but for the money and intent to carry i love the xd's vestitility

91' LX hatch...393ci w/ AFR 205's, Ed Curtis cam, SCT tuned...slow
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 07:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses.

I'm reading more about the Sig P239 which is smaller with less capacity, but still a great gun from what I've read. This might work a little better for my wife and I. I still want to shoot the XDM to see how I like it.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 07:39 PM
Which one's the clutch?

XDM has a grip safety and a trigger safety. no actual button or switch.

1987 Nissan pick up-wrecked
1984 Ponitiac grand am-sold
1988 Buick lasabre-sold
1987 Nissan 300zx-sold intake/exhaust
2001 Yamaha r6-sold slip on
2004 Yamaha r1-sold full exhaust
1991 Nissan 240sx-torn down,almost built up.
1994 toyota celica-blown up. exhaust
2005 Honda accord-daily.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 07:44 PM
Token Troll

Also, XD & XDm have the cocked and chambered indicator. So on top of the trigger and grip safety, you have two visual & tactile indicators of the status of the gun.

'05 Redfire Mustang

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 07:44 PM
I Я Invizabul

Quote:
Thanks for the responses.

I'm reading more about the Sig P239 which is smaller with less capacity, but still a great gun from what I've read. This might work a little better for my wife and I. I still want to shoot the XDM to see how I like it.
The p229 and the p239 are really close in size. I don't think that it is worth losing the extra capacity personally. The p239 is a bit thinner with the stock plastic grip but if you go with wood grips they are almost exactly the same size.

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
The p229 and the p239 are really close in size. I don't think that it is worth losing the extra capacity personally. The p239 is a bit thinner with the stock plastic grip but if you go with wood grips they are almost exactly the same size.
Do you own both the 229 and 239? If so, given the same grip, is there a noticeable difference in your hand? Any difference in shooting?

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 10:17 PM
The token Asian guy

I'm not a fan of the DA/SA nor an exposed hammer. I prefer a consistent trigger pull. A lot of your accuracy depends on it.

Bottom line is still which feels better to shoot but the odds are this will not be your first handgun.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 10:25 PM
I Я Invizabul

Quote:
Do you own both the 229 and 239? If so, given the same grip, is there a noticeable difference in your hand? Any difference in shooting?
I have owned both at one time or another. I had a P239 9m that i liked but couldn't justify carrying because my USP compact 9mm was almost he same size as it. It shot real nice but didnt fit the bill for a CCW.

I have a P229 in .40 right now and a USP compact in .40 as well. I like the P229 much better than I did the P239 for CCW purposes, the extra 5 rounds per mag is rather comforting.

I will correct one thing, the P239 IS SLIMMER but it comes at a cost. Something the size of a P229, glock 19, USP compact, XD compact, or any other compact sized guns are best for carry IMO. The one thing that really turned me away from the P239 was that I could carry 9 rounds of 9mm in a P239 or I could carry 9 rounds of .45 in a 1911 commander sized gun. Both are roughly the same size and the 1911 has a better trigger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement