Do want! (I may be crazy) - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 01:28 PM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
03trubluGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DFW
Posts: 12,430
Do want! (I may be crazy)

I've always wanted one of these, don't know why:

http://www.shilohrifle.com/catalog/p...products_id=35
03trubluGT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 02:19 PM
Factory Issue
 
Yale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Shippensburg, PA
Posts: 12,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post
I've always wanted one of these, don't know why:

http://www.shilohrifle.com/catalog/p...products_id=35
Because you're a man, that's why.

Give me a dollar.
Yale is offline  
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 02:40 PM
Lifer
 
01YZ2NV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Shittin in the Kitchen
Posts: 1,249
Oh hell yea! Ive really started getting into cowboy shooters lately.

1957 Chevy Belair
1953 M38A1

01YZ2NV is offline  
 
post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 02:46 PM
Meeeeooowww
 
ALLAN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: the MCO airport
Posts: 20,309
Just get a NEF Handi Rifle in 45-70

ALLAN is offline  
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 02:49 PM
I Я Invizabul
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Candyland
Posts: 4,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALLAN View Post
Just get a NEF Handi Rifle in 45-70
You are missing the point.
Pokulski-Blatz is offline  
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 03:15 PM
Factory Issue
 
Yale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Shippensburg, PA
Posts: 12,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
You are missing the point.
I disagree.

Give me a dollar.
Yale is offline  
post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 03:20 PM
Token Troll
 
GhostTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Sherman
Posts: 4,101
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRKUMUPcR7k

'05 Redfire Mustang

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey
GhostTX is offline  
post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 03:35 PM
I Я Invizabul
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Candyland
Posts: 4,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yale View Post
I disagree.
How is he not missing the point by suggesting a NEF instead of the Sharps? I think the whole point is that Matt likes the gun from the movie and wants that one, not a handi rifle. Correct me if I am wrong.
Pokulski-Blatz is offline  
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 04:20 PM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
03trubluGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DFW
Posts: 12,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
How is he not missing the point by suggesting a NEF instead of the Sharps? I think the whole point is that Matt likes the gun from the movie and wants that one, not a handi rifle. Correct me if I am wrong.
I could care less about the movie, but I do want that gun. I'd have to do some research to find out what caliber would reach out the farthest, not sure it's the .45-70.

Last edited by 03trubluGT; 12-27-2009 at 04:48 PM.
03trubluGT is offline  
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 04:31 PM
Factory Issue
 
Yale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Shippensburg, PA
Posts: 12,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokulski-Blatz View Post
How is he not missing the point by suggesting a NEF instead of the Sharps? I think the whole point is that Matt likes the gun from the movie and wants that one, not a handi rifle. Correct me if I am wrong.
Be easy, patnuh! It's a single-shot rifle is the point. Also, if you've shot both, the handi-rifle is a lot more comfortable.

Give me a dollar.
Yale is offline  
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 04:36 PM
Factory Issue
 
Yale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Shippensburg, PA
Posts: 12,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post
I could care less about the movie, but I do want that gun. I'd have to do some research to find out what caliber would reach out the farthese, not sure it's the .45-70.
They're all the same caliber, which is the first number. The second is the number of powder grains in the case. If you're choosing a black powder gun, the more powder grains pushing the same bullet, the greater potential for further range. If you're choosing a smokeless powder gun, the modern .45-70 can be loaded way hotter than any black powder .45-70 derivative.

Give me a dollar.
Yale is offline  
post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
03trubluGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DFW
Posts: 12,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yale View Post
They're all the same caliber, which is the first number. The second is the number of powder grains in the case. If you're choosing a black powder gun, the more powder grains pushing the same bullet, the greater potential for further range. If you're choosing a smokeless powder gun, the modern .45-70 can be loaded way hotter than any black powder .45-70 derivative.
I'm not sure what would be best, the 45-70, 45-90, or 45-100. I would like some long shots, but nothing that would put a crease in my shoulder.
03trubluGT is offline  
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 05:27 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 14,194
I have an 1874 sharps in 45-70 and my dad has one in 45-120 with creedmore sights and all that jazz.. My dad has also blown up an 1874 sharps in 45-70.

Anyways, ours are Italian manufactured Armi Sport (or Uberti, dont remember) guns.
David is offline  
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 05:31 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Fort Worth
Posts: 609
I have wanted one of those for years but I doubt I would ever spend that much. I saw the original from the movie at the NRA National Firearms Museum back in November. Tom Selleck had donated it with about 100 other rifles and pistols from his collection. In the mean time I will be happy using my Marlin 45-70 in artillery mode.

Wayne in FW
Falcongunner is offline  
post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 06:17 PM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
03trubluGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DFW
Posts: 12,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I have an 1874 sharps in 45-70 and my dad has one in 45-120 with creedmore sights and all that jazz.. My dad has also blown up an 1874 sharps in 45-70.

Anyways, ours are Italian manufactured Armi Sport (or Uberti, dont remember) guns.
How do you like them? I've never seen one in person, let alone shoot one, how is it?
03trubluGT is offline  
post #16 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
03trubluGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DFW
Posts: 12,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcongunner View Post
I have wanted one of those for years but I doubt I would ever spend that much. I saw the original from the movie at the NRA National Firearms Museum back in November. Tom Selleck had donated it with about 100 other rifles and pistols from his collection. In the mean time I will be happy using my Marlin 45-70 in artillery mode.

Wayne in FW
WTF? I'm only up to about 22 firearms.
03trubluGT is offline  
post #17 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 06:35 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 14,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post
How do you like them? I've never seen one in person, let alone shoot one, how is it?
I enjoy the,. They're well made and accurate. The only issues is after so many rounds, the tight tolerances of the sharps breech it gets fouled up quickly.

Here's me shooting my 45-70 at 1200ish meters.
David is offline  
post #18 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 06:49 PM
Clown
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: With the real El Chupacabra
Posts: 2,190
My dad has a replica. I believe he got it from a gun dealer in New Boston and I have seen him at a few of the guns shows but I forget the name of his business. I want to say he paid $1500 or so for his. I have shot it once and did not enjoy it one bit....Imagine a 300 Win Mag with no muzzle brake or decelerator pad.
J&T's 82 is offline  
post #19 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
03trubluGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DFW
Posts: 12,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I enjoy the,. They're well made and accurate. The only issues is after so many rounds, the tight tolerances of the sharps breech it gets fouled up quickly.

Here's me shooting my 45-70 at 1200ish meters.
The cant on that gun is KILLING ME! Bwhaaahahaahahaa! It looks like you're taking aim at the moon!
03trubluGT is offline  
post #20 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
Lifer
 
03trubluGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DFW
Posts: 12,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&T's 82 View Post
My dad has a replica. I believe he got it from a gun dealer in New Boston and I have seen him at a few of the guns shows but I forget the name of his business. I want to say he paid $1500 or so for his. I have shot it once and did not enjoy it one bit....Imagine a 300 Win Mag with no muzzle brake or decelerator pad.
Ewwww...

I think the worst rifle I've ever shot was a .50 BMG sniper rifle that was made in shop class.

It was a cheap POS bolt gun that looked like someone welded a couple of lead pipes together. It had NO recoil system or butt pad. 100% of the recoil was transferred to the shooter.
03trubluGT is offline  
post #21 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 09:07 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 14,194
Recoil isnt that bad. My shoulder hurts more after shoot a K98 than a 45-70. 45-120 on the other hand, that's a punch.
David is offline  
post #22 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 11:32 PM
Lifer
 
davbrucas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Houston
Posts: 8,841
I have shot that Sharps in 45-100 and it hurts, but nothing like the 460 Weatherby Mag that I used when I went bear hunting with my dad a few years ago...the expectation of pain when you pull the trigger is enough to make you miss a 20ft target and 50yds! Unless you have a 1600lb grizzly running full bore at you!
davbrucas is offline  
post #23 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 09:58 AM
Lifer
 
zachary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,882
Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
I enjoy the,. They're well made and accurate. The only issues is after so many rounds, the tight tolerances of the sharps breech it gets fouled up quickly.

Here's me shooting my 45-70 at 1200ish meters.
did you hit your target is the question?
zachary is offline  
post #24 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 10:02 AM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 14,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachary View Post
did you hit your target is the question?
Of course.
David is offline  
post #25 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 11:19 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 101
I have always wanted a 45-70 as well and tried to find replicas instead of the Sharp and found a few that were around $700-$800 new in shotgun news.
ace2985 is offline  
post #26 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 04:01 PM
Lifer
 
zachary's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,882
what are you shooting at @ 1200+ yards? Size of the target>
zachary is offline  
post #27 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 04:06 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 14,194
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachary View Post
what are you shooting at @ 1200+ yards? Size of the target>
6'x10' Buffalo silhouette with a 1'x2' black hit box.
David is offline  
post #28 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-28-2009, 04:12 PM
dee
Lifer
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,188
Quote:
Originally Posted by David View Post
6'x10' Buffalo silhouette with a 1'x2' black hit box.
Was that out in NM?
dee is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
pokulski-blatz=killer

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome