Weapon light? - DFWstangs Forums
View Poll Results: Favorite weapon light?
TLR1 4 36.36%
TLR2 4 36.36%
X300 0 0%
Other 3 27.27%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 02:38 PM Thread Starter
Token Troll
 
GhostTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Sherman
Posts: 4,101
Weapon light?

So...I've narrowed down choices for a tactical weapon light...TLR1, X300, or TLR2.

X300 and TLR2 are near the same price (that I've found), but the TLR2 is brighter and has the laser.

Anybody have any experience with these lights? And what are your findings? And good sites/places to buy?

'05 Redfire Mustang

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey
GhostTX is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 03:01 PM
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Die Wundergroin Schlägt Wieder Zu!
Posts: 2,484
Smaller, not as bright (but bright enough), light/laser combo, lighter weight...The Insight X2. I have one and like it alot.
helosailor is offline  
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 03:57 PM
Rolling with the homies
 
evil jose's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Oak Cliff... that's my hood...
Posts: 43,271
Use in Insight here and it's my first weapons light. Not sure about the laser, don't really believe in the advantage of it over good training and practice. Sure any of the options you've choosen should be good. I'd just make sure it's an LED light'




2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew


1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

evil jose is offline  
 
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 04:29 PM
Lifer
 
03trubluGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DFW
Posts: 12,430
Sportsmansguide.com has the TRL-1 for the club price of $94.47. That's the cheapest I've seen anywhere.

I was really thinking about getting it for that price.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=379868
03trubluGT is offline  
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 04:36 PM
Lifer
 
03trubluGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DFW
Posts: 12,430
Optics Planet has the Streamlight TRL-3 for $79.95

http://www.opticsplanet.net/streamli...r-3-69220.html
03trubluGT is offline  
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 04:45 PM
Lifer
 
Ronin6135's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 1,674
I use the trl1 and like it.

02-z28
Ronin6135 is offline  
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-26-2009, 07:47 PM
Lifer
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Bagram Air Base, Afg
Posts: 2,094
I have 4 of the TRL-1 and love them. If you watch LAPoliceGear.com you can find them on a super deal then add a 10% code. I paid as little as $84 for one of them.

2 of them on XD9 5"
1 on the Mossberg shotgun
1 on an AR
sonic93 is offline  
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 03:24 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 544
Personally I love weapon lights. It tells me exactly where to shoot to get the bad guys at night. I hereby demand all bad guys go to tacticool school and get bright lights and put them on their guns. Heck maybe paint them in reflective paint schemes too.

The guys that scare me are the ones running around in the appropriate camo with their faces painted and night vision equipment....

If you're gonna put a light on your gun, may as well wear an orange vest too.
AnthonyS is offline  
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 05:26 AM
Lifer
 
03trubluGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DFW
Posts: 12,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyS View Post
Personally I love weapon lights. It tells me exactly where to shoot to get the bad guys at night. I hereby demand all bad guys go to tacticool school and get bright lights and put them on their guns. Heck maybe paint them in reflective paint schemes too.

The guys that scare me are the ones running around in the appropriate camo with their faces painted and night vision equipment....

If you're gonna put a light on your gun, may as well wear an orange vest too.
Ummmmm, I'm not so sold on your train of thought. There are two theories on weapon lights. 1)it's not good because it does show your position, and if you're lighting something up, your weapon is pointed at it as well, and 2)it's better to have two hands on the gun because it is more accurate.

Both are good points, but in a gun fight I'd rather have the accuracy. It's all about shot placement. I've seen guys hit with 10 rounds of 9mm and live, and guys hit with the lowly .25 ACP and be DRD (dead right there).

Do yourself a favor and go to a range that will allow low light shooting, get in a one handed shooting stance with the other hand supporting a light and see how accurate you are compared to two handed shooting. I'm sure you'd be surprised.
03trubluGT is offline  
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 08:12 AM
Lifer
 
Hass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyS View Post
Personally I love weapon lights. It tells me exactly where to shoot to get the bad guys at night. I hereby demand all bad guys go to tacticool school and get bright lights and put them on their guns. Heck maybe paint them in reflective paint schemes too.

The guys that scare me are the ones running around in the appropriate camo with their faces painted and night vision equipment....

If you're gonna put a light on your gun, may as well wear an orange vest too.
How do you hit a moving target after your eyes went from being adjusted to darkness and then getting flashed by a bright light like a Streamlight?

Have you ever looked at a bright light like a Streamlight while wearing NVG's?
Hass is offline  
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 08:22 AM
Lifer
 
Hass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,713
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post
Sportsmansguide.com has the TRL-1 for the club price of $94.47. That's the cheapest I've seen anywhere.

I was really thinking about getting it for that price.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/c....aspx?a=379868
I have this light on my Saiga 12 shotgun and love it. The battery door could have been designed better though.
Hass is offline  
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-27-2009, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Token Troll
 
GhostTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Sherman
Posts: 4,101
Ya...the laser I look as just a "gimmick", but if I can get a light at the same price, why not?

I've practiced with my Surefire G2, and that's what I carry when I'm outside the home. But, I figured for the home, I'd rather just have to grab for one item instead of two.

The whole, "I see him, he sees me" arguement is valid. But as said, especially in the home, I want to be dead on multiple times. As said, I've shot with 4 different light holding techniques and I know I'm faster and more accurate with two hands.

Besides, these weapons lights are geared for momentary or always on.

'05 Redfire Mustang

"Self-government won't work without self-discipline." - Paul Harvey
GhostTX is offline  
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 11:13 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post
Ummmmm, I'm not so sold on your train of thought. There are two theories on weapon lights. 1)it's not good because it does show your position, and if you're lighting something up, your weapon is pointed at it as well, and 2)it's better to have two hands on the gun because it is more accurate.

Both are good points, but in a gun fight I'd rather have the accuracy. It's all about shot placement. I've seen guys hit with 10 rounds of 9mm and live, and guys hit with the lowly .25 ACP and be DRD (dead right there).

Do yourself a favor and go to a range that will allow low light shooting, get in a one handed shooting stance with the other hand supporting a light and see how accurate you are compared to two handed shooting. I'm sure you'd be surprised.
I've done this very thing while serving my country. It's easy as pie.

What is even easier is to let your eyes get adjusted to the dark and not use a light at all.

If I'm in the appropriate camo using no light and you are prancing around using one, I'm going to fill you full of holes before you even know where they came from.

And the other tenant of using a light in the offhand that you didn't mention is light on, shoot, light off and MOVE! Anyone using a light and staying in one spot is begging to be ventilated.

If I had weapons, I guarantee, I'd be putting tritium sights on them long before I'd be putting flashlights on them.
AnthonyS is offline  
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-30-2009, 11:17 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hass View Post
How do you hit a moving target after your eyes went from being adjusted to darkness and then getting flashed by a bright light like a Streamlight?

Have you ever looked at a bright light like a Streamlight while wearing NVG's?
If you are prancing around with a bright ass light, and you get close enough to the other guy before he fills you full of holes, then he is an idiot.

You aren't going to sneak up on someone wearing NVGs and flash them unless they are watching a ballgame or porn....... in which case they wouldn't be wearing NVGs.......

And I don't have NVGs. And I've never spent 12 hours on watch in darkness in the wilderness with automatic weapons either.

Heck I've never shot in the dark in a range either....

No, I'm just some schmuck that read about this in the latest issue of Guns & Ammo.....

You know why gun lights exist at all? I'm gonna make this real simple for you, TV and banging the cash register. In any real situation a bright ass light is full of fail.
AnthonyS is offline  
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 12:04 AM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET
 
HOOCBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DFW MUSTANGS . NET
Posts: 3,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyS View Post
I've done this very thing while serving my country. It's easy as pie.

What is even easier is to let your eyes get adjusted to the dark and not use a light at all.

If I'm in the appropriate camo using no light and you are prancing around using one, I'm going to fill you full of holes before you even know where they came from.

And the other tenant of using a light in the offhand that you didn't mention is light on, shoot, light off and MOVE! Anyone using a light and staying in one spot is begging to be ventilated.

If I had weapons, I guarantee, I'd be putting tritium sights on them long before I'd be putting flashlights on them.
Don't get me wrong, tritium sights are great and all, but how in the hell do you expect to identify your target without some form of frontal illumination?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyS View Post
If you are prancing around with a bright ass light, and you get close enough to the other guy before he fills you full of holes, then he is an idiot.

You aren't going to sneak up on someone wearing NVGs and flash them unless they are watching a ballgame or porn....... in which case they wouldn't be wearing NVGs.......

And I don't have NVGs. And I've never spent 12 hours on watch in darkness in the wilderness with automatic weapons either.

Heck I've never shot in the dark in a range either....

No, I'm just some schmuck that read about this in the latest issue of Guns & Ammo.....

You know why gun lights exist at all? I'm gonna make this real simple for you, TV and banging the cash register. In any real situation a bright ass light is full of fail.
Oh, I get it, NVGs. Well, not everyone is a baller. You have to make do with what you have/can afford.

HOOCBB is offline  
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 06:50 AM
Lifer
 
03trubluGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: DFW
Posts: 12,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyS View Post
I've done this very thing while serving my country. It's easy as pie.

What is even easier is to let your eyes get adjusted to the dark and not use a light at all.

If I'm in the appropriate camo using no light and you are prancing around using one, I'm going to fill you full of holes before you even know where they came from.

And the other tenant of using a light in the offhand that you didn't mention is light on, shoot, light off and MOVE! Anyone using a light and staying in one spot is begging to be ventilated.

If I had weapons, I guarantee, I'd be putting tritium sights on them long before I'd be putting flashlights on them.

We're not out in Afghanistan clearing buildings. We're talking about home defense. Our target is more than likely going to be a scumbag low educated thief, not some highly trained Special Forces or Force Recon perp. You're not going to have time to camo up. As a homeowner, I would rather have some light than risk not hitting my target and putting my kids on the other side of the wall in danger.

With that said, I have Trijicon sights on my duty gun, Meprolite sights on my Kimber TLE/RL II, and my Kimber Ultra Carry II has Meprolite sights and the Crimson Trace laser grips (that's the way it came). I also have a Trijicon front sight post on my duty AR (department requirement), but I don't have a light on any of my guns (yet).
03trubluGT is offline  
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 01:41 PM
Lifer
 
futant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 1,664
I really don't care for lights either on the gun or in my other hand
I only carry one in my vest because i think it might help avoid shooting some kid or drunk guy

most likely im going to be holding my gun two handed until i can verify they are not much of a threat ( i e have a gun themselves)
then i might illuminate them

79 K5 blazer, 6" lift 38x15" tires d44/12b lockers and chromoly axles ,6.2L GM diesel - Waste Vegetable Oil conversion - cross over steering,14"SAW nitrogen shocks, beefed shackles, shackle flip, winch/ bumpers, diff covers.

94 CBR 600 naked, handbraked, -1 +3 sprockets, one wheel operation mod

"I'm sorry, nothing quite says, "F- You, I'm from Texas" like an all-business, stripped-down K5."
futant is offline  
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-31-2009, 11:45 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET
 
HOOCBB's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: DFW MUSTANGS . NET
Posts: 3,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by futant View Post
I really don't care for lights either on the gun or in my other hand
I only carry one in my vest because i think it might help avoid shooting some kid or drunk guy

most likely im going to be holding my gun two handed until i can verify they are not much of a threat ( i e have a gun themselves)
then i might illuminate them
If it is a low light scenario, how do you propose seeing that they do not have a weapon before illuminating?

HOOCBB is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome