Building a bench rifle... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Packin' up...

Building a tactical rifle...

Out of the guns i've had so far, the rifle was the most fun, so i'm looking at building something! Of course I need ya'lls help and input to direct me...

Bench gun that would never see hunting use. The range is 100YDS and may not see more than that.

RIFLE:
Remington 700 SPS Tactical (not sure on caliber)
> 223 would be cheaper ammo, though may have trouble with resell
> 308 ammo would be more, though more range if I was able to shoot farther, and less issues with resell. I'm thinking now it may be best to go with the 308 so the gun itself won't be the limiting factor if I want to move up.

OPTICS:
I like the look of a long type scope. Bushnell does have a couple out in the 4200 series. 6-24X40 and 6-24X50, i'm unsure which would be better for tinkering at the range. I'd like to keep the optics budget around 500, less if I can.
> https://www.snipercountrypx.com/p-34...24-mildot.aspx
> http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/41984

RINGS/BASE:
I have no idea with a scope like the above if I need medium or high rings. Something that would require no tools to take off would be very nice, any recommendations?

Lastly, I would probably throw a Harris 6-9 bi-pod on it and call it a day.

Last edited by Skidmark; 12-21-2009 at 12:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 11:40 AM
GROWED UP WRONG

For 100yrds you could go with just a .22 or .17hmr
You can build one a lot cheaper then either calibers mentioned and can make them so accurate it can get boring to shoot, plus can shoot all day long for $20 with a .22.
If you plan on maybe going past 100 or ever hunting I would go with the .308
For the optics at 100yrds I would not go with that high of power, you will never use it.
Rings I like the Talley or Dead Nutz one piece. The problem with removable base is, and I know some will argue, but I have a problem believing that they will hold 100% zero 100% of the time.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Packin' up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped54 View Post
For 100yrds you could go with just a .22 or .17hmr
You can build one a lot cheaper then either calibers mentioned and can make them so accurate it can get boring to shoot, plus can shoot all day long for $20 with a .22.
If you plan on maybe going past 100 or ever hunting I would go with the .308
For the optics at 100yrds I would not go with that high of power, you will never use it.
Rings I like the Talley or Dead Nutz one piece. The problem with removable base is, and I know some will argue, but I have a problem believing that they will hold 100% zero 100% of the time.
22 is kind of boring to me

308 sounds good then since if I ever found a place to shoot further, it wouldn't be the limiting factor.

Would the scopes above be acceptable for 200-300YDS? I guess the field of view would not be very good at 100YDS?

That Savage I picked up from you... I can't remember how the base was setup. What other options are there, to get something welded on?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 12:09 PM
Time Served

My 2 cents

Sounds like you are more interested in a tactical/plinking style rifle than a benchrest. Expect to spend more than 2K alone for glass on a benchrest. Ammo cost won't be much different since you are going to need match grade ammo. (Or match grade components if you reload) Factory ammo is not going to cut it.
Frankly, tactical shooting is a LOT more fun than benchrest and a WHOLE lot cheaper. Benchrest is an outrageously expensive hobby. Remmington 700, FN/Winchester XP, Howa subMOA, and Savage 10FP make some excellent tactical rifles. Add a good scope, a tuneup from the gun doc, and your'e ready to shoot. You can probably keep your build less than 2k as well. If you keep your rifle fairly stock and want to get your feet wet shooting long range, It is a good enough rifle to compete in the 600yd factory class matches. Also don't discount the fun of building a match grade AR.
I would look around for used rifles as well. A lot of guys build these up and lose interest. The cost of match grade ammo and the lack of really good shooting ranges can put a damper on your fun.
Something else to think about is a varmit rifle. Popping rabbits, pdogs, and yotes at 300 yds is a lot of fun. .22-250 was the king for a long time, but .223 and even .17HMR are gaining popularity fast. Easier on the shoulder and easier on the wallet.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Packin' up...

It sounds like I have my terminology wrong. It'll be a weekend rifle that I can go to the range and enjoy, nothing competitive about it! Thank you for the clarification.

I do like the option of an AR where I can just change out uppers, but I do enjoy bolt action. I'll probably end up having a decent bolt action and an AR down the road.

I've no land or know anyone with land, so varmit hunting is out of the question for now. Hell I could take a tactical rifle though, i'm large enough to lug it around with no worries.

Thanks for the info, I guess now it comes down to choosing a scope I like.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 12:23 PM
Old Fart

SPS is $550 or so, a VLS would be 700-800 and has a better stock. Savage 12 is excellent choice as well. Any mass produced bull barreled bolt action should do 1/2MOA with factory ammunition. Although, Remington 700 and Savage will have better aftermarket.

Jewel bench rest trigger is 190$. Shilen makes a popular one as well. Timney's are dual purpose for hunting so won't have the ultra low pull weight of the BR models.

Weaver T-36, 36x power, is good for bench shooting. 400$. Sightron makes some popular bench models. Variable power scopes for target/varmint will work as well, but price is more and variable power scopes have more moving parts. But good rings and mounts, but don't necessarily need Badger Ordnance or Lightforce out of the gate. Burris, Leupold, and Talley make nice stuff for good price.

Bags - rear bag and a bag to fit the front rest. Caldwell, Protektor, Edgewood, Stoney Point. These come in different sizes and designs. You might end up buying a few.

Machine rest - Caldwell is cheap one, Farley or Sinclair are more money. Find used. Or shoot with a bi-pod.

Flags - often ignored. But crucial to tiny groups consistently. Make your own.

Mirage - get an aluminum mini blind blade, flip it concave up, and velcro it to your barrel. Hot sun and 36x don't mix well with hot barrel.

Cleaning supplies. Shooting alot requires lots of cleaning. Buying bore guides, etc. can quickly up the costs of the hobby.

Reloading/Handloading:

.223 is cheaper than 308 and less recoil. .243 Win is a barrel burner. 20 and 17 calibers are more expensive, and more difficult to deal with.

Reloading is must if you are bored with 1/2MOA. Federal, Remington, Hornady, Black Hills and others make nice factory match, but big part of ultimate accuracy is handloading with custom bullets, precision prepped brass, and meticulous handloading procedures.

A entry level reloading setup is about 100$ for the tools and 100$ for the bullets, primers, brass, and powder. A high end reloading setup will run $1000 or more.

You can search online and sometimes get complete rifles or even complete rigs used for excellent prices.

For 1/2MOA rifle, a stock bull barreled rifle on bags is plenty. Getting down to 1/4MOA and 1/8MOA is exponentially more expensive. If you search on line, many competitions are won with 1/4MOA groups, but the rifles can get 1/8MOA with regularity, and .009in or smaller on rare occasion.

5 and 10 shot groups are good comparison to other shooters.

I shoot 1/2MOA with boring regularity with a DPMS bull barreled AR-15 and hunting scope on a rest that doesn't support the gun well and a rear bag. I single feed it reloaded ammo with a loading block. For my investment, I am pleased. To get those 1/4MOA groups with this rifle, I will need to double my investment.

It's like drag racing. If I change gears, run slicks, and a shot of NOS, I can do 12's in my daily driver. It's the combination and driver consistency that wins races.

"Don't taze me, bro."
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 12:45 PM
GROWED UP WRONG

I have been shooting my Savage 93 in .17hmr a lot lately. I carry 3 guns to my stand on Friday. My 7-08, my .45 and my .17hmr. My feeder is about 175 yards away and have taken coons, pigs, and squirrels and jack rabbits with my .17. That is a fun, fun little gun and can litterally shoot the tacks holding the target at 100 yards.
If you want a cheap, fun shooter maybe start with this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skidmark View Post
22 is kind of boring to me

308 sounds good then since if I ever found a place to shoot further, it wouldn't be the limiting factor.

Would the scopes above be acceptable for 200-300YDS? I guess the field of view would not be very good at 100YDS?

That Savage I picked up from you... I can't remember how the base was setup. What other options are there, to get something welded on?

Did you get rid of that Savage? It would have been perfect for what you are wanting.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 12:53 PM
Time Served

For 1500 I'll sell you the package you described
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Packin' up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chopped54 View Post
I have been shooting my Savage 93 in .17hmr a lot lately. I carry 3 guns to my stand on Friday. My 7-08, my .45 and my .17hmr. My feeder is about 175 yards away and have taken coons, pigs, and squirrels and jack rabbits with my .17. That is a fun, fun little gun and can litterally shoot the tacks holding the target at 100 yards.
If you want a cheap, fun shooter maybe start with this.

Did you get rid of that Savage? It would have been perfect for what you are wanting.
Yes I sold it when I was working on getting into a house. Now that i've backed out I want to pick up some toys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt-4_i_swear View Post
For 1500 I'll sell you the package you described
I could build the setup new for ~1500
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 01:10 PM
Time Served

ah but mine has an HS precision stock.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 03:00 PM
Factory Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by srt-4_i_swear View Post
ah but mine has an HS precision stock.
What are you offering?

Give me a dollar.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 04:24 PM
dee
Lifer

I have a bench rifle I love its a .22-250 built off a Springfield 1903A3 action its more accurate than I can shoot. Here's a lil pic I'm in the middle of upgrading optics but can't decide on what I want.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gun 027.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	96045   Click image for larger version

Name:	gun 024.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	96048  

Last edited by dee; 12-21-2009 at 04:33 PM.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 06:16 PM
GROWED UP WRONG

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee View Post
I have a bench rifle I love its a .22-250 built off a Springfield 1903A3 action its more accurate than I can shoot. Here's a lil pic I'm in the middle of upgrading optics but can't decide on what I want.
That is the next gun I build is a 22-250.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 07:09 PM
dee
Lifer

I love it is a bitch getting it to the deer stand but great for shooting pigs all day long and deer also.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-21-2009, 07:46 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yale View Post
What are you offering?
the package he described with an HS precision stock for 1500
Sponsored Links
Advertisement