Pirates and RPGs - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
I miss Colorado

Pirates and RPGs

This maybe some what the wrong forum, BUT it does mostly deal with guns.

Whats up with these pirate attacks. Am i wrong to think that i could single handedly defend a pirate attack?

From what i hear these pirates use speedboats and RPGS to gain access. Basically holding the ship at gunpoint (or rocket-point if you will) from a distance, and then boarding the ship.

The whole idea that is works is insane.

Is there a job market now for ship security forces? It would take about 3 guys each working 8 hour shifts. From what i've seen, the range on an RPG is about 1000 meters. You give me a 240B and 5k rounds (7.62 nato machine gun) and the highest point on the ship i guarantee you i can defend that ship. The 240B's max effective range is about 1800 meters. I get some nice binos, and dare a mother fuckin boat to come near me.

Why would this not work? Is some great obvious thing that im missing?
I cannot believe pirate attacks are such a big thing, and ive never heard of a ship having security before. I have heard of ships using fire hoses, and spraying the pirates as they try to board. They sure didnt fire any RPGS at the boat then.

I would love to destroy a shitty boat from about 1000M out. Hell, as soon as the saw the water spraying up all around them, im sure they would high tail it the hell outta there.

Thoughts?

'79 malibu 4speed.
'74 Datsun 260Z 302chevy/TKO500 swap in progress

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 03:49 PM
Banned

Everyone thinks they could rambo it up in these situations.

The fact of the matter is that its probably cheaper and less of a big deal to simply just pay the ransom.

Also, imagine the red tape involved with bringing a shipment into a british port by a boat full of armed guards.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 03:55 PM Thread Starter
I miss Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCTR View Post
Everyone thinks they could rambo it up in these situations.

The fact of the matter is that its probably cheaper and less of a big deal to simply just pay the ransom.

Also, imagine the red tape involved with bringing a shipment into a british port by a boat full of armed guards.
Im pretty sure i could rambo up, sir.

Yea, i understand a little red tape. I dont think three guys, and a machine gun or two would be THAT big of a deal... Hell, its international waters right?
Fly my ass in when you hit international waters, and fly my ass out before port Hell i dont know. It is just insane to me that this even happens. What an easy way for those skinnies to get some mad money

'Fuck bitches, get money' right Doc?

'79 malibu 4speed.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 03:57 PM
Worship me

International law is the problem. I don't fully understand it myself.

I don't understand why a security company doesn't set up shop on either end of the pirate operating zones and load on and off the ships as they enter/leave the area.

Also, the pirates don't just cruise up to the ships with RPGs and rifles on display. They often pose as civilians and once they get close, SUPRISE!

You wouldn't engage them at long range unless they are running away from what I have read. And god forbid you gun down some civilians.

Some of the ships hijacked are also tankers. One bullet can result in an environmental disaster and/or a huge fire. A $20 million dollar load of cargo would be gone instantly.

The whole situation is stupid. If I ran a shipping company I would figure out a way to solve the problem, that is for sure.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 03:58 PM
Banned

From what I've heard on the news and various talk radio shows, there are maritime rules/laws that have to be followed. You run into all types of legal problems when you have people on board with guns etc. The 2nd poster hit on it a little, but a lot of countries would have problems with ships pulling in with armed guards, etc. There would be no way to necessarily regulate it and then the liability of the ship's owner if something went down. At this point in time it is probably just easier and cheaper to take the chance on getting boarded. If you do, then pay the ransom and move on.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 04:00 PM
Sign I saw on the ground:

Chuck Norris

/story

"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 04:00 PM
$uper $low

The fucking nerd in me shot a load at the thought of a role playing game focused around pirates.
It's now crushed.
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 04:04 PM Thread Starter
I miss Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by AL P View Post

I don't understand why a security company doesn't set up shop on either end of the pirate operating zones and load on and off the ships as they enter/leave the area.
Right
But hell, a service like this would cost a shit ton, and i guess maybe the ransom would be cheaper in the long run. Thats a damn shitty way to look at it.

I just see the private security contractors over here (iraq) and the insane coin they rake in. One said he made $1,250 a day. He could have just been talking out his ass.
That was in 2006, and as a private, deployed, i was making that in about 3 weeks.

It would be sooo easy to do the same thing on a ship.

'79 malibu 4speed.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 04:30 PM
Factory Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrisonBT View Post
Right
But hell, a service like this would cost a shit ton, and i guess maybe the ransom would be cheaper in the long run. Thats a damn shitty way to look at it.

I just see the private security contractors over here (iraq) and the insane coin they rake in. One said he made $1,250 a day. He could have just been talking out his ass.
That was in 2006, and as a private, deployed, i was making that in about 3 weeks.

It would be sooo easy to do the same thing on a ship.
Bean counters run the world. Sometime it takes all the flavor out of life.

Give me a dollar.
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 06:31 PM
Time Served

I would like to sail the seas! To stop them Pirates YARRRRG!

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 08:21 PM
Sign I saw on the ground:

"Government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 08:42 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnus View Post
The fucking nerd in me shot a load at the thought of a role playing game focused around pirates.
It's now crushed.
LOL, ditto.

"Pirates in an RPG? Sweet!"
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 08:52 PM
Time Served

Quote:

Is there a job market now for ship security forces? It would take about 3 guys each working 8 hour shifts. From what i've seen, the range on an RPG is about 1000 meters. You give me a 240B and 5k rounds (7.62 nato machine gun) and the highest point on the ship i guarantee you i can defend that ship. The 240B's max effective range is about 1800 meters. I get some nice binos, and dare a mother fuckin boat to come near me.
Your head is in the right place but the choice of weapons leaves a little to be desired. The max effective range of the M240 is 800 Meters. The M2 .50 Cal is out to around 1800. Both those weapons have tracer burn out at their effective range.

The hubby has actually looked a lot at trying to find private ship security jobs. He has a pretty extensive combat background, he has not been able to find any openings as of yet.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 10:42 PM
Lifer

I think a Barrett M82 .50 and a M240B would be the better.

That would be one hell of a cool job. That is coming from someone that already has a bad ass and exciting job.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 10:50 PM
Lifer

Whatever happened to the conventional wooden legged, eye patch laden, parrot on shoulder pirates?

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
I miss Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drama_Queen View Post
Your head is in the right place but the choice of weapons leaves a little to be desired. The max effective range of the M240 is 800 Meters. The M2 .50 Cal is out to around 1800. Both those weapons have tracer burn out at their effective range.
Your half right.
Maximum effective range to a point taget 800
maximum effective range on an area target 1800. Its a promotion board question.

A .50 would be fine, but it would also be nice to be mobile. The .50 is by no means a one man carry. I an carry the 240B with a couple hundred rounds while running

'79 malibu 4speed.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 12:32 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Your half right.
Maximum effective range to a point taget 800
maximum effective range on an area target 1800. Its a promotion board question.

A .50 would be fine, but it would also be nice to be mobile. The .50 is by no means a one man carry. I an carry the 240B with a couple hundred rounds while running
I agree with the mobility issue but the .50 is a lot more menacing at these distances. You are correct about the area target, just didn't consider a small boat an area target.

Someone also posted about a sniper rifle and I can't see that working too well with the motion of a small boat in open seas + the standoff range against the RPGs + time of flight of the rounds, I can't think that would be very effective. You absolutely want to put a wall of lead out there.
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 04:35 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by barronj View Post
LMAO , fucking rpg to the head! take that bitch

79 K5 blazer, 6" lift 38x15" tires d44/12b lockers and chromoly axles ,6.2L GM diesel - Waste Vegetable Oil conversion - cross over steering,14"SAW nitrogen shocks, beefed shackles, shackle flip, winch/ bumpers, diff covers.

94 CBR 600 naked, handbraked, -1 +3 sprockets, one wheel operation mod

"I'm sorry, nothing quite says, "F- You, I'm from Texas" like an all-business, stripped-down K5."
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 05:09 PM
Time Served

the 240 would be the best option as far as accuracy and mobility if your a decent gunner you could hit one of little boats at 1000 meters and as far as RPGs those asshats couldnt hit the ground you gotta think how old the rpgs and launchers are and the condition they are in

R.I.P. Lcpl Ivan I. Wilson K.I.A. July 21 2008
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 06:00 PM
Lifer

I don't recall anyone posting this but if so, my bad.

http://www.somalicruises.com/

Wanna see my care face?
post #21 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
I miss Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89stang View Post
the 240 would be the best option as far as accuracy and mobility if your a decent gunner you could hit one of little boats at 1000 meters and as far as RPGs those asshats couldnt hit the ground you gotta think how old the rpgs and launchers are and the condition they are in
Yea, i did forget to mention the un-reliability of those RPG's. Even when they did fire, they would have to hit the boat. Granted, one of those boats is as big as the side of a fucking mountain.

Just tonight i handled an RPG, and it had "1969" stamped into the handle. Granted it still worked, and we have .50's that have been around for a couple more decades than the '60's. Those RPGS are often clapped out pieces of shit.

'79 malibu 4speed.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

post #22 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 06:01 PM
Factory Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by futant View Post
LMAO , fucking rpg to the head! take that bitch
It'll still probably just circle around and hit the shooter in the back.

Give me a dollar.
post #23 of 23 (permalink) Old 12-06-2009, 06:10 PM
Time Served

Quote:
Yea, i did forget to mention the un-reliability of those RPG's. Even when they did fire, they would have to hit the boat. Granted, one of those boats is as big as the side of a fucking mountain.

Just tonight i handled an RPG, and it had "1969" stamped into the handle. Granted it still worked, and we have .50's that have been around for a couple more decades than the '60's. Those RPGS are often clapped out pieces of shit.
the flight paths are unpredictable as hell when i was in afghanistan i had one shot directly at my turret about half way to me it shot strait up and detonated and a .50 is an amazing gun as long as you dont fuck up the threads on the barrel you can beat that gun up

R.I.P. Lcpl Ivan I. Wilson K.I.A. July 21 2008
Sponsored Links
Advertisement