FN Five-Seven. - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 11:48 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

FN Five-Seven.

Anyone have one? For some reason I want one to match my ar-57. Just wondering what everyone's opinion of them is. I'm in the market for a nice pistol but wanted something "different".

Yep
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 11:50 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda View Post
Anyone have one? For some reason I want one to match my ar-57. Just wondering what everyone's opinion of them is. I'm in the market for a nice pistol but wanted something "different".
20rds of 5.7 in a pistol and the option of 10rd extension. I like them. I wished I would have bought one a couple years ago when you could get them at a decent price.
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 11:54 PM
HERE WE GO STEELERS

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic93 View Post
20rds of 5.7 in a pistol and the option of 10rd extension. I like them. I wished I would have bought one a couple years ago when you could get them at a decent price.
What were they going for then? I think the only one I saw was selling for around 950 or so.

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Quote:
The best I've seen them for was around 950 online.

Yep
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 12:20 AM
Lifer

They were around $600 back in '06
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 12:25 AM
Out

Had one; couldn't get rid of it fast enough... YACK!
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 12:40 AM
CJ
User may be editing post.

I was seriously considering one a few years back...

proprietary ammo?
extremely expensive?
bad combination.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 12:41 AM
CJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny View Post
Had one; couldn't get rid of it fast enough... YACK!
Denny, not one of those craigslist ads in your sig exist anymore.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 12:47 AM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0_CJ View Post
I was seriously considering one a few years back...

proprietary ammo?
extremely expensive?
bad combination.
Bad fit in my hand
Crappy trigger pull
Not the typical "FN"
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 12:49 AM
Out

Quote:
Denny, not one of those craigslist ads in your sig exist anymore.
Thanks... damn "dash."
post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 12:51 AM
CJ

Quote:
Thanks... damn "dash."
Are you selling those cars? How many miles are on that Buick? No odo is a big no no.
post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 12:53 AM
Out

DMV's last record was 154K, but the digital part (odo and gear indicator) went out. I'm stumped.
post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 12:55 AM
CJ

Quote:
DMV's last record was 154K, but the digital part (odo and gear indicator) went out. I'm stumped.
it's probably still logging but the actual LCD went out, might want to pull the bezel off and check the ribbon cable or the contacts on the PCB, I've seen this happen before on GM trucks and the solution is normally resoldering the LCD contacts on the PCB.
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 12:56 AM
Out

Quote:
it's probably still logging but the actual LCD went out, might want to pull the bezel off and check the ribbon cable or the contacts on the PCB, I've seen this happen before on GM trucks and the solution is normally resoldering the LCD contacts on the PCB.
Nice! I'ma checkin that in the morning!
post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 09:17 AM
Time Served

They wouldn't let me shoot my Five Seven at Elk Castle in Fort Worth. They asked me to leave the FN ammo at the counter while I was shooting the other guns I brought with me. On Target doesn't have a problem with me shooting it there.
I enjoy shooting the Five Seven after it's had some rounds put through it. They're a little rigid when they're brand new.
post #16 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 10:17 AM
Lifer

I would like one because of the ammo being able to go through body armor.

I would like one because of the low recoil and having 2d and 3rd shot on target capability.

I would not like one for the reasons CJ said.
post #17 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 10:21 AM
Banned

I have heard that the 5.7x28 round is nearly identical in ballistics to 22 mag.

And the short barrel of the Five-seveN pistol takes away most armor piercing capabilities.
post #18 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 11:18 AM
Factory Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOHCTR View Post
I have heard that the 5.7x28 round is nearly identical in ballistics to 22 mag.

And the short barrel of the Five-seveN pistol takes away most armor piercing capabilities.
The bullets aren't necessarily as effective, but the ballistics are near identical. That Kel-Tec .22mag you posted looks like the very thing to cure some 5.7 jonesing.

Give me a dollar.
post #19 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 01:18 PM
Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03trubluGT View Post

I would like one because of the low recoil and having 2d and 3rd shot on target capability.

Low recoil, my ass!
post #20 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 06:13 PM
CJ

Quote:
Low recoil, my ass!
I don't even feel a twitch until .44 mag. :P
post #21 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 08:50 PM
Time Served

Quote:

There is no commercially available to the public armor piercing ammo for a 5.7. What you and I can buy is easily defeated by even level IIA armor.

The real armor piercing ammo for a 5.7 is not much of a killer either. The bullet doesn't deform one little bit and it is going too slow to cause hydrostatic shock . Good bullet placement will still kill you but your odds of living are very good.

If you want armor piercing ammo just buy some old collectible Winchester metal piercing ammo and pull the bullets, replace the primers, add fresh powder and call it a day. There are also PLENTY of heavy for caliber hunting style bullets that will defeat most soft body armor if you load it hot. If you shoot a 9mm you can still find plenty of the real deal AP ammo. I still have 1600 rounds of it stashed away.

I'd also like to point out that most of what is called armor piercing ammo is not intended to go through body armor; it's made to penetrate hard armor on vehicles.

On a side note I still have around 1k rounds of 5.7 ammo that I don't need any more. Sold the gun but found some ammo when cleaning. Buyers?
post #22 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 10:50 PM
Out

Quote:
I don't even feel a twitch until .44 mag. :P
All that strokin' finally paid off
post #23 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 11:05 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo855 View Post
There is no commercially available to the public armor piercing ammo for a 5.7. What you and I can buy is easily defeated by even level IIA armor.

The real armor piercing ammo for a 5.7 is not much of a killer either. The bullet doesn't deform one little bit and it is going too slow to cause hydrostatic shock . Good bullet placement will still kill you but your odds of living are very good.

If you want armor piercing ammo just buy some old collectible Winchester metal piercing ammo and pull the bullets, replace the primers, add fresh powder and call it a day. There are also PLENTY of heavy for caliber hunting style bullets that will defeat most soft body armor if you load it hot. If you shoot a 9mm you can still find plenty of the real deal AP ammo. I still have 1600 rounds of it stashed away.

I'd also like to point out that most of what is called armor piercing ammo is not intended to go through body armor; it's made to penetrate hard armor on vehicles. Body armor is not designed to stop rifle rounds (which the 5.7 is). An AR will easily defeat IIIA body armor.

On a side note I still have around 1k rounds of 5.7 ammo that I don't need any more. Sold the gun but found some ammo when cleaning. Buyers?
I think you might have a misconception of body LEO body armor. I wear a Threat Level IIIA, which will stop a .44 Magnum, but won't stop an arrow. It's not even rated for edged weapons.

The 5.7 commercially available stuff will penetrate it, because they showed us at the range that it will. Also, even though a 12 ga slug isn't rated to go through armor, the mere blunt force trauma will kill you. It doesn't penetrate IIIA, but it will compress it enough to explode your heart. Seen that too. It will push a trauma plate about 6" in and make your sternum touch your backbone. Any soft tissue between the two will be compressed.
post #24 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-02-2009, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

how much ??
Quote:

I'd also like to point out that most of what is called armor piercing ammo is not intended to go through body armor; it's made to penetrate hard armor on vehicles.

Yep
post #25 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 02:09 AM
CJ

Quote:
All that strokin' finally paid off
aaaand how....
post #26 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 02:11 AM
CJ

Quote:
I think you might have a misconception of body LEO body armor. I wear a Threat Level IIIA, which will stop a .44 Magnum, but won't stop an arrow. It's not even rated for edged weapons.

The 5.7 commercially available stuff will penetrate it, because they showed us at the range that it will. Also, even though a 12 ga slug isn't rated to go through armor, the mere blunt force trauma will kill you. It doesn't penetrate IIIA, but it will compress it enough to explode your heart. Seen that too. It will push a trauma plate about 6" in and make your sternum touch your backbone. Any soft tissue between the two will be compressed.
But a T100 terminator would be completely safe in this armor, am I correct?
post #27 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 02:16 AM
Out

Quote:
But a T100 terminator would be completely safe in this armor, am I correct?
Better than a T100 Toyota Truck, fo sho!
post #28 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 07:50 AM
Old Timer

Quote:

Just go out and buy a 300 win mag. It will go through body armor with hollow points.

I never understood why people want to buy a gun just because it will go through body armor. If thats the case, go out and buy a 175# pull crossbow with razor broadheads. (Body armor isn't rated to withstand a cutting edge like a razor, unless it has a ballistics plate).

If you must buy something that goes through body armor, just go buy a lot of steel core ammo for any decent rifle. (You can buy them for .308, .30-06, 7.62x39, etc...)

Hell a 12 gauge with flichets (Spelling) will go through some body armor.

2006 Mustang GT
post #29 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 08:04 AM
Lifer

Quote:

You are aware that the FN FiveSeven was one of the pistols used at FT Hood?
post #30 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 08:23 AM
Time Served

The Five Seven is a favorite with the cartel types south of the border too. Thanks to all the bad press it's received from the uninformed left and anti-gun advocates, the 5.7 has been given a bad reputation for a number of reasons.
With commericially available hybrid ammo in FMJ and HP firing at speeds of 2600+ fps from a handgun with a 30 round magazine weighing about the same as an unloaded Glock, it has a lot going for it.

Last edited by Bounty Hunter; 12-03-2009 at 09:05 AM.
post #31 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 09:21 AM
Time Served

Quote:
You are aware that the FN FiveSeven was one of the pistols used at FT Hood?
Very aware but I doubt that the men were killed with SS190 AP ammo.

Last edited by svo855; 12-03-2009 at 09:42 AM.
post #32 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 09:41 AM
Time Served

Quote:

I have a good understanding of body armor having worn it almost daily for years. The stuff I wore was not NIJ rated but was rated to a Euro standard that is about the same. I do have some IIIa armor that I bought personaly. I also still have a german made set of armor that is rated for the new killer .338 cal AP rounds.

I believe what you were shown at the range was SS190 ammo. It will defeat all of the soft armor that I can think of but it was never sold off the shelf to the public that is why I made the statement that the commercially available ammo was not going to kill anyone by piercing their body armor.

As far as slugs and body armor are concerned you can kill a person wearing soft body armor with a slug but a hard plate will defeat the round. I know this from personal experiance. Try this if you don't believe me. Put the butt of a shot gun loaded with the hotest load you can find on your sternum and pull the trigger. It will hurt but it will not kill you. The recoil effect on the gun has the EXACT same power as the round going down range assuming that you are shooting a pump or single shot.
post #33 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 11:24 AM
Banned

Since I got my CHL, I carry my j-frame with 25 speedloaders full of +p. This is complimented by 3 layers of titanium chain mail, a conquistador style cuirass with trauma plates glued all over, and a IIIa ballistic vest strapped on top.

Bring it on 5.7 toting mother-fuckers.
post #34 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 01:00 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotua View Post
Just go out and buy a 300 win mag. It will go through body armor with hollow points.

I never understood why people want to buy a gun just because it will go through body armor. If thats the case, go out and buy a 175# pull crossbow with razor broadheads. (Body armor isn't rated to withstand a cutting edge like a razor, unless it has a ballistics plate).

If you must buy something that goes through body armor, just go buy a lot of steel core ammo for any decent rifle. (You can buy them for .308, .30-06, 7.62x39, etc...)

Hell a 12 gauge with flichets (Spelling) will go through some body armor.
Because a .300 Winchester Magnum is hard to conceal....

Almost ANY small arms rifle cartridge will defeat body armor. That's why I carry my AR at work. Police agencies finally got the wake up call with the Hollywood bank robbery/shoot out.
post #35 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 01:02 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Try this if you don't believe me. Put the butt of a shot gun loaded with the hotest load you can find on your sternum and pull the trigger. It will hurt but it will not kill you. The recoil effect on the gun has the EXACT same power as the round going down range assuming that you are shooting a pump or single shot.
No fucking thanks.
post #36 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 07:29 PM
Time Served

Quote:
No fucking thanks.
I am not trying to get you hurt. I've done it while giving a demo of before and after with a Knox stock. You can kick with you foot harder the the 12ga will kick.
post #37 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 07:32 PM
Lifer

Quote:
I am not trying to get you hurt. I've done it while giving a demo of before and after with a Knox stock. You can kick with you foot harder the the 12ga will kick.

Suuuurrrre... You got a YouTube link???
post #38 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-03-2009, 07:39 PM
Time Served

I wouldn't tape something that may make me look like an dumbass for doing it.
post #39 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 04:06 AM
Factory Issue

post #40 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 09:30 PM
Time Served

The price shown is what Bud's will pay you if you'll sell them your gun. If you change the condition value, you'll notice the price goes down accordingly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement