Decent place to get a stripped lower? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Decent place to get a stripped lower?

Looking for a decent place to purchase a 5.56 or 7.62 AR stripped lower, where do you guy recommend locally or online?

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 01:30 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

I'm guessing AR...check out MGS...

post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOCBB View Post
I'm guessing AR...check out MGS...
Fixed.

Sorta forgot to mention that.

Over five thousand years ago, Moses said to the children of Israel, "Pick up your shovel, mount your asses and camels, and I will lead you to the Promised Land." Nearly 75 years ago, Roosevelt said,"Lay down your shovels, sit on your asses, and light up a camel, this is the Promised Land." Now Obama has stolen your shovel..., taxed your asses, raised the price of camels and mortgaged the Promised Land!

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Is $280 for a New In Box: DPMS Panther .308/7.62x51mm NATO Stripped Lower Receiver, Hard-Coat Anodized Mil-Spec 6061-T6 Aluminum, TeflonŽ-coated Black, decent price?

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 01:39 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

builing an AR10 is gonna be expensive...

If you are looking at the 5.56mm lowers, they should be $100-125. If you go to a gunshow, you might be able to find a decent lower for $85.

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
builing an AR10 is gonna be expensive...

If you are looking at the 5.56mm lowers, they should be $100-125. If you go to a gunshow, you might be able to find a decent lower for $85.
Is the 7.62mm considered an AR-10 or just a .308 considered an AR-10? My dad and I are both looking at a build and I've finally convinced him to just get a stripped lower since he's going to change out the grip and stock anyway. He'll most likely build a 7.62 or .308, i'll most likely stick with the 5.56.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 01:59 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMan View Post
Is the 7.62mm considered an AR-10 or just a .308 considered an AR-10? My dad and I are both looking at a build and I've finally convinced him to just get a stripped lower since he's going to change out the grip and stock anyway. He'll most likely build a 7.62 or .308, i'll most likely stick with the 5.56.
If it's AR based, then yes

I'm not trying to discourage you from building the .308, just know that it will cost twice as much as the AR15, if not more.

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
If it's AR based, then yes

I'm not trying to discourage you from building the .308, just know that it will cost twice as much as the AR15, if not more.
Just from looking around online I see what you mean, since my dad's looking at possibly building one he's got the money to spend. I really don't know AR's well enough to suggest something else in stead of it. I know the .308 is a great round, I just don't know if there's a better alternative.

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 02:14 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

He could always build a 6.8 SPC upper for the 5.56 lower...or a 7.62x39 upper

Really, the options are endless with this platform

Edit:

Here is an FAQ from AR15.com that shows most (if not all) of the caliber options.

http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=270

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
You never go full retard

Quote:
He could always build a 6.8 SPC upper for the 5.56 lower...or a 7.62x39 upper

Really, the options are endless with this platform

Edit:

Here is an FAQ from AR15.com that shows most (if not all) of the caliber options.

http://www.ar15.com/content/page.html?id=270
If you were going with the 6.8 SPC then wouldn't it be better to go with the 6.5 Grendel for better ballistics?

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 03:15 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Quote:
If you were going with the 6.8 SPC then wouldn't it be better to go with the 6.5 Grendel for better ballistics?
I wish I knew the answer to that. I'm not up on the boutique AR caliber variants other than it can be done.

I'm sure someone else can give some info to help though.

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 03:53 PM
Lifer

Quote:
6.8 (.270 dia.)has more factory ammo available and more bullets available for reloading; 6.5 (.264 dia.) is slightly better ballistically....
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 12:49 AM
Time Served

6.8, 7.62x39, 223 and other cal's are in an AR15 platform

308 and other longer cal's go in the AR10 platform

MGS has DPMS AR10 receivers stripped and DPMS lower part kits in stock

AR15 receivers Spikes tactical, AE engineering, aero precision, rock river lowers start at 119 for aero's buy 3 get em for 99

Also have DPMS lower part kits at $69 each or 59 when purchased with a lower

This being said if you want a 308 buy a complete rifle. for what you buy parts for you will spend more than if you buy the rifle.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 01:30 AM
CJ
User may be editing post.

A 6.8SPC is the best choice over the grendel. I would suggest a standard aero precision lower like bulldog suggested, many calibers can be used with this lower - you can even use .50BMG single shot uppers on it.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 01:40 AM
Factory Issue

IMO, if you're wanting an accurate .308/7.62NATO, you're cheating yourself if you don't buy a bolt-action.

Give me a dollar.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 01:53 AM
CJ
User may be editing post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yale View Post
IMO, if you're wanting an accurate .308/7.62NATO, you're cheating yourself if you don't buy a bolt-action.
let's put it this way, if you want to build a competition accurate AR-10, you'll need about 5-10 grand.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 02:51 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog896 View Post
6.8, 7.62x39, 223 and other cal's are in an AR15 platform

308 and other longer cal's go in the AR10 platform

MGS has DPMS AR10 receivers stripped and DPMS lower part kits in stock

AR15 receivers Spikes tactical, AE engineering, aero precision, rock river lowers start at 119 for aero's buy 3 get em for 99

Also have DPMS lower part kits at $69 each or 59 when purchased with a lower

This being said if you want a 308 buy a complete rifle. for what you buy parts for you will spend more than if you buy the rifle.
Where do you work? Can you pm the answer to me.

I have 8 AR15 lowers that I have bought for build platforms but am now thinking of doing an AR10.

My pops has an AR10 built by POF, he said it is a tack driver. I am looking forward to putting some rounds thru it at Alpine on the 15th.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement