Ar-15 vs. 7.62x39 - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Kid

Ar-15 vs. 7.62x39

I am looking into getting a rifle like what my dad used to have. We had a deawoo dr200 .223 which was very similar to an ar15. I loved the way that gun would shoot and was very reliable. But the other guns we had were 7.63x39, sks and mak 90. Those guns were just flat out badass.

Here's my questions,

which ammo is more affordable?
which would be the better gun for varmint hunting, pig hunting and having fun?
Where do I buy? And what price do I plan on paying?

I know the ar15 has more accessories and options, but other then a flash suppressor, and a decent scope, sights I don't plan on getting to tricked out.

I'm not looking into getting another dr200, I'm looking into getting a ar15, sks, mak90, or an ak47.

Help please!

91 Coupe, off road h, underdrive pulleys, short belt with a/c, electric fans and 3.73s. 3060lbs. Daily driven 20mpg average.

All stock 91 coupe. Stang' Bangin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
I just want to smoke weed, be naked, and play video games.That is all.

Last edited by FoxBodyMike; 11-30-2009 at 07:11 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 07:10 PM
Time Served

you could always get a ar in 7.62x39? easier to scope a ar, ar is gonna be more expensive, but usually more accurate. If you get a ar you can swap out the uppers and have different calibers. Aks are good reliable guns but to me the ar is more refined and has more options. You can get aks for $400 to $500, ars are usually $700 and up.

its still "we the people"right?

"So this is how democracy dies, with thunderous applause"

"a lesson lived is a lesson learned, everyday is a lesson."

obama is a man made disaster
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 07:14 PM
blank

which ammo is more affordable? (7.62)
Which would be the better gun for varment hunting, pig hunting and having fun?( AR, IMO)
Where do I buy? And what price do I plan on paying? ( havent bought a sks or ak in years, sks's use to be about $120 or less and ak's $400. AR15 are starting to drop again. You can pick one for under a grand or build one for about $600.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyp View Post
you could always get a ar in 7.62x39? easier to scope a ar, ar is gonna be more expensive, but usually more accurate. If you get a ar you can swap out the uppers and have different calibers. Aks are good reliable guns but to me the ar is more refined and has more options. You can get aks for $400 to $500, ars are usually $700 and up.
i know you can change out ar uppers and have several different calibers, but what i was wondering is for the price difference and what i will be doing with it, what would be the better buy? I know the ar15 is a better gun overall compared to any other assault rifle.

Im leaning towards an Ar15, i just don't know where to get one.

I know a full out tactical assault ar15 being used to kill coyotes and hogs would be badass but in a way its not necessary. Then again who gives a shit..

91 Coupe, off road h, underdrive pulleys, short belt with a/c, electric fans and 3.73s. 3060lbs. Daily driven 20mpg average.

Quote:
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0LiterRiceEater View Post
which ammo is more affordable? (7.62)
Which would be the better gun for varment hunting, pig hunting and having fun?( AR, IMO)
Where do I buy? And what price do I plan on paying? ( havent bought a sks or ak in years, sks's use to be about $120 or less and ak's $400. AR15 are starting to drop again. You can pick one for under a grand or build one for about $600.
Price difference in ammo?

Never built a gun, but im sure me and my dad can figure it out. How hard is it?

Quote:
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 07:39 PM
Lifer

Just get a cheap Century Arms AK. Ammo has gone waaaaaaaay down now for 7.62. You can pick up 500 round cases for a little over 100 bucks now. Its cheap and plentiful again. AKs are also fun plinking guns and reliable as shit. Mine has never jammed and I have fed it all diff kinds of ammo, steel and brass cased, etc. Just dont think its going to be accurate above 50 yards. they also kick more than an AR. Just some things to think about.

CANADIANS = DOUCHERS

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 08:14 PM
Time Served

I've shot both AKs and ARs, but the AR has an "it" factor for me. That being said, I really like the MAK 90 too. Depending on which manufacturer you're wanting, ARs will be a little easier to come by. The only widely available AK that I know of right now is the Century Arms gun, and it's from Romania.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 09:14 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Don't get me wrong I like AK's but I would go with an AR. Ammo price if you get wolf is the same price, to get apples to apples. Other than that one is cheaper out the door, the other is more accurate and versatile in the long run.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 09:15 PM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxBodyMike View Post
Price difference in ammo?

Never built a gun, but im sure me and my dad can figure it out. How hard is it?
Can you turn on a light switch? Then you can build an AR.

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 10:19 PM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOOCBB View Post
Can you turn on a light switch? Then you can build an AR.
that is what i was thinking, i didnt think building a gun would be that hard, my question is, where do i get all of the stuff, and what all do i need?

Im a gun noob for as far as where to get and what to get.

I made up my mind. I want an AR and if i want an Ak, Sk, Mak later then ill buy one then.

Quote:
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 11-30-2009, 10:53 PM
Time Served

Get an AR in any caliber you like.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 06:59 AM
DFW MUSTANGS . NET

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxBodyMike View Post
that is what i was thinking, i didnt think building a gun would be that hard, my question is, where do i get all of the stuff, and what all do i need?

Im a gun noob for as far as where to get and what to get.

I made up my mind. I want an AR and if i want an Ak, Sk, Mak later then ill buy one then.
You can damned near get parts at Wal Mart. Ok, not really, but spend some time reading AR15.com, specifically the Build It Yourself forum, to familiarize yourself with the operation and assembly of it. Then you can order parts from Del-ton, Model 1 Sales, etc. Head over to MGS and pick up a stripped lower from them. You probably can't get one for a better price locally and won't have to pay a transfer fee.

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 07:56 AM
Old Timer

You can hunt with a .223 depending on what type of ammo you get.

Plinking, use FMJ 55 grain.

Varm hunting use 60 Grain Nosler Tips

Deer/Pig Hunting use Federal 60 Gran Nosler Partition

However 7.62 has much more knockdown.

If given the choice, I'd just buy the AR in .308 win, and you are set.

(I have an AK, SKS, AR-15, and a M14) I use the M14 for hunting, AR for plinking and I rarely pull out the AK. (AR is so much more accurate than the AK).

2006 Mustang GT
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 03:11 PM
tear'n asphalt in the 68'

I'm with Dacotua on this.

I'd have to agree with that but I'd say go with a cetme for FAL. AR-10's are nice but my cetme just has so much character, not to mention its like 1/3 the price of a cheap ass ar-10

As far as using .223 to hunt hogs, you might want to think about how big that the hogs your hunting are, as well as how good of a shot you are. I've seen a non practiced shooter empty a ar-15 at a hog and then watched the hog chase him back to his truck. At the same time I've seen a 12 year old kill a 190lb hog with a single .223

Point of the story... Get a G-3, Cetme, FAL, AR-10 (.308), spend some time shooting and do the same thing I do just in case; carry a .357 mag on your side incase you run into a monster.

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 05:00 PM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDRed302 View Post
I'm with Dacotua on this.

I'd have to agree with that but I'd say go with a cetme for FAL. AR-10's are nice but my cetme just has so much character, not to mention its like 1/3 the price of a cheap ass ar-10

As far as using .223 to hunt hogs, you might want to think about how big that the hogs your hunting are, as well as how good of a shot you are. I've seen a non practiced shooter empty a ar-15 at a hog and then watched the hog chase him back to his truck. At the same time I've seen a 12 year old kill a 190lb hog with a single .223

Point of the story... Get a G-3, Cetme, FAL, AR-10 (.308), spend some time shooting and do the same thing I do just in case; carry a .357 mag on your side incase you run into a monster.
I've been shooting since I was 10. Started shooting the sks when I was 12, and we got the .223 when I was 13. I have practice shooting but I'm not the best. I'm sure If I can no sight a racoon while on the run with a 10/22 and hit 3 of the 5 shots fired.. I should be able to kill a pig with a .223.

It's all in the air still now, gotta do alot more research.

Quote:
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 08:00 PM
Time Served

A more accurate price range on ak's is $350-30,000 . There is alot of different model ak's and if a man really wants to get picky there is 75+ with new variations coming out every day. If I was in an all out urban war I would take one of my ak's over any of my ar's any day. Now if I had time to sit on a ridge and think about perfect shot placement and not quantity of bullets I would use an ar or a bolt action gun. From a collector standpoint nice ak' range from $650-3400 depending on what your looking for. The rarer of the ak's get a lot higher in price.I prefer milled ak's and different variations of the krinkov's. The krinks tend to get real pricey and extremely rare when you start looking into countries other than Yugoslavia and Bulgaria.

The guns century produces should not be considered as ak's. More reputable dealers with build know how and skill should be considered. They are cheap in price and quality, the majority have canted sites and keyhole straight out the box due the the improper us barrels they use that are also not hammer forged like a real ak barrel. They donot understand the art of headspacing a rifle for that matter either.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement